Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

overdesigned posted:

It's probably fun for the F-22 pilot.

I know the f-22 has all sorts of cool stuff that lets it fly at ridiculous aoa but can it actually fly at Cessna speeds? Because if it can't that would be a major pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well, gently caress. The flight school next door (where I did my initial training a decade ago, no less) lost two instructors and one plane in a crash yesterday afternoon. I had a bad feeling about it as soon as I saw reports of the crash, since it was right in the middle of the local practice area.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

PT6A posted:

Well, gently caress. The flight school next door (where I did my initial training a decade ago, no less) lost two instructors and one plane in a crash yesterday afternoon. I had a bad feeling about it as soon as I saw reports of the crash, since it was right in the middle of the local practice area.

gently caress man, the second I saw the news I was gonna PM you to make sure you were ok.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bunnyofdoom posted:

gently caress man, the second I saw the news I was gonna PM you to make sure you were ok.

All good here, luckily. The mood at the airport was definitely in the shitter (although I heard a few old-timers commenting about how instructors can get careless and stupid when they're flying together), and some people are pretty shook up to the point of a few cancellations happening, but I had a good flight today, and I'm going again tomorrow morning.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PT6A posted:

Yeah, it's not good at all. I knew both of them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrChips posted:

Yeah, it's not good at all. I knew both of them.

My condolences, that loving sucks. I don't think I ever met them (I don't know who the second instructor is), but obviously it sucks regardless.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Condolences, I lost a friend back while I was instructing and it is one of those things that reminds you of the risks that we sometimes downplay.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Thanks guys, it does make me feel a little better.

I was thinking about this earlier today, and it's kind of startling to think that in the 13-odd years I've been a professional pilot, 8 people I've known well have died in accidents.

CraZy GrinGo
Jul 29, 2003
Veteran³
It's been a long time since I posted anything here, but after years of moving back and forth across the country for seasonal work, I've finally landed an HAA job with Careflite in the Dallas Fort Worth area. So far I love it! Fun, interesting flying with so many different hospitals here. Even better, my base at Granbury regional is right by a small fixed wing school. After seven years of flying choppers, I can finally learn to fly an airplane!

CraZy GrinGo fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 16, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Neat, I work at Regional Approach so I don't usually talk to you guys, but I see you scurrying around all over the place when you're talking to the towers in the area.

CraZy GrinGo
Jul 29, 2003
Veteran³
Yeah, we never have a reason to enter Bravo unless we're going to a hospital in Dallas. The guys working the tower at Love are very helpful. Parkland hospital is about 2 miles from the departure end of 13R. Makes it a pretty tight landing.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Uh oh.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Finally soloed!

... after 35 hours, over 13 months.

But it feels great!!

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Did my first cross country yesterday in the 180, which I had only flown once before. I was supposed to use the 140 but they were going over it the night before and found this:

Somebody hosed up.

And didn't tell anyone.

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 19, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What am I missing here? Should I ask the maintenance training program coordinator and will it drive his retirement date up from May 31st to Tuesday?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I just didn't know we had any fledgling mechanics in this thread.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nuggan posted:

Did my first cross country yesterday in the 180, which I had only flown once before. I was supposed to use the 140 but they were going over it the night before and found this:

Somebody hosed up.

And didn't tell anyone.

I must be brain dead today, but... what am I looking at there, a hosed up propeller tip?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Yeah, someone had the prop strike the ground and just put the plane back without telling anyone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

How does that thought process go?

"I'll just park the plane and not tell anyone. I'm sure the school won't think to check the journey logs or dispatch record -- it's the perfect crime!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PT6A posted:

"I'll just park the plane and not tell anyone. I'm sure the school won't think to check the journey logs or dispatch record -- it's the perfect crime!"

“It was the work of a Soviet saboteur.”

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

The flight school I used to work for had the exact same thing happen, and that's basically what the thought process was.

In our case the student had ties to the House of Saud, so he ended up paying the several thousand dollar overhaul bill in cash.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Putting a plane back like that should be criminal, not just because of the repair cost dodging.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Laws are for poor people, not for private pilots.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pryor on Fire posted:

Laws are for poor people, not for private pilots.

All the private pilots I know are poor BECAUSE they're pilots.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Putting a plane back like that should be criminal, not just because of the repair cost dodging.

It may actually be. I'm fairly sure a failure to note a serious defect in the journey log violates the law.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

MrYenko posted:

All the private pilots I know are poor BECAUSE they're pilots.

You made a typo. Although to be fair, some of the pilots I know aren't poor. They just have heaps of student debt.

Also, shame on anyone who tries to cover up a mistake like that. A bent prop is pretty obvious but if it's something a little less blatant you're leaving the next pilot a potentially unsafe airplane without warning them about it. Not cool.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I've seen that kind of crap a few times while growing up at an airport. It's not a rental car, but some suburbanites don't know the difference.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Had that happen while I was instructing. Student flew it back from an airport on a cross country after the prop strike.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I reported everything I knew about when I flew. On one solo, the guy running the desk at the FBO claimed he saw me smoke the mains (i.e. lock them up) trying to clear the runway but I never remembered locking the brakes at all. :iiam: Another time (on a stage check) we found a flat nosewheel after we landed. The CFII asked me about it and I could've sworn it was up when we left. There was another "Do I need this?" instance where I trudged back to the FBO to make sure I was good.

I also took off for some quality time in the box once and got a low voltage annunciator in the climb to downwind. Not sure of how urgent it was, I killed everything electrical I didn't need and was able to glance at the Ammeter long enough to see a 60 volt discharge. Landed, cleared the runway, found a breaker had popped, reset it and it went to a 60 volt overcharge. Taxied it straight the hell to the maintenance ramp.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Well I found out what happened. The pilot was out flying late, and when she got back the guy who is usually around to open the hangar to park the plane wasnt there. So, she decided to drive it into the grass and tie it down there. When doing so she smacked the prop on a cement tie down block.

Still not sure why she didn't mention it. I'm sure she noticed at least something happened when she hit it.

Today when I was doing my cross country in the other plane my main coms went out. Just died in the middle of me talking. Dear airplanes: Please stop breaking.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
We had a prop strike a couple weeks ago when an airplane taxied into an unmarked pothole covered in grass in the designated run up area. Yay state run airports!

Later that afternoon there were over a dozen bright orange cones placed around the ramp to alert people of even more uncovered holes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Passed the written exam for my commercial license this morning. Should be done the flight test by the end of March, I'm hoping, and then it's just a long cross-country, instrument work and hour-building.

EDIT: The air law section can go blow a bag of dicks. I'm in loving Alberta, and I don't have a multi-engine rating -- I'll figure out life jacket requirements for multi-engine aircraft when it's even remotely possible I'll need to know it, dammit!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 22, 2017

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

We had a prop strike a couple weeks ago when an airplane taxied into an unmarked pothole covered in grass in the designated run up area. Yay state run airports!

Later that afternoon there were over a dozen bright orange cones placed around the ramp to alert people of even more uncovered holes.

There's a local airport with half a dozen bright orange cones placed around potholes on the runway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sleepy gary posted:

There's a local airport with half a dozen bright orange cones placed around potholes on the runway.

That seems... really bad. Alberta is FYGM as it comes with money, has horrendous freeze/thaw cycles, and a bunch of small towns with landing strips, and I've still never seen anything quite that bad. Most of them even get plowed semi-regularly in the winter.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

To be clear (and maybe the use of "local" was a bad choice), it is a privately-owned airport, but it is open to the public in the AFD. It should be NOTAM'd closed, in my opinion.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

CBJSprague24 posted:

I reported everything I knew about when I flew. On one solo, the guy running the desk at the FBO claimed he saw me smoke the mains (i.e. lock them up) trying to clear the runway but I never remembered locking the brakes at all. :iiam: Another time (on a stage check) we found a flat nosewheel after we landed. The CFII asked me about it and I could've sworn it was up when we left. There was another "Do I need this?" instance where I trudged back to the FBO to make sure I was good.

I also took off for some quality time in the box once and got a low voltage annunciator in the climb to downwind. Not sure of how urgent it was, I killed everything electrical I didn't need and was able to glance at the Ammeter long enough to see a 60 volt discharge. Landed, cleared the runway, found a breaker had popped, reset it and it went to a 60 volt overcharge. Taxied it straight the hell to the maintenance ramp.

Also report when you think you've done something. My first night solo I was convinced I hit the prop as I did a kangaroo impression. Turns out I hadn't but at least it got checked. You are allowed a cock up not a cover up.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
I'm making the jump to a legacy airline but I'm questioning my choice to do reserves for the Air Force. Before I got hired the common wisdom was "omg don't go civilian without furlough protection because this will all come crashing down any minute now".

But now I see guard/reserve dudes dropping their part time jobs left and right because it's not even worth the trouble and sure as hell isn't worth the lack of pay.

Idk, i figure i owe the reserves at least a shot at winning me over, but im skeptical.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Rekinom posted:

I'm making the jump to a legacy airline but I'm questioning my choice to do reserves for the Air Force. Before I got hired the common wisdom was "omg don't go civilian without furlough protection because this will all come crashing down any minute now".

But now I see guard/reserve dudes dropping their part time jobs left and right because it's not even worth the trouble and sure as hell isn't worth the lack of pay.

Idk, i figure i owe the reserves at least a shot at winning me over, but im skeptical.

Your problem is a good problem to have, the legacies aren't going to come crashing down - there are way too many retirements in the next 10 years. You're golden if that's what you want to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

greasyhands posted:

Your problem is a good problem to have, the legacies aren't going to come crashing down - there are way too many retirements in the next 10 years. You're golden if that's what you want to do

Famous last words.

• Locked thread