Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Teesside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
America needs more Northern British voices in their foreign political talking heads.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Pissflaps is way too lefty for the US media

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I once engaged with the CFO of a medical group in the states right at the time of their 'NHS death panel' scare stories which was interesting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
go on

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

It was not some date I picked at random, it's just what the source stated. If I found data that went back to 1992 or 1902 I'd have gone and said since that date. You're seeing things that aren't there.

2 in a row isn't a trend, and even if it was 10 in a row, there's something a mite different about Donald Trump. I'm phone posting so can't check but more relevant precedents would be Pinochet, Franco, Mussolini and other far right leaders.

For what it's worth, Paul Flynn cites the same information as you do early on in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDPXiI0lzrk

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Citation needed on... well just about all of that, to be honest.

A useful resource, particularly on the rarity of free votes. It's also worth noting that the opposition has never responded to a three-line whip without a whip of its own (whether for or against the government's motion) since the line system was introduced in 2004, and even before whips were officially codified into lines, there was always a degree of proportional response depending on the severity of the government whip.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

since the line system was introduced in 2004, and even before whips were officially codified into lines,

Pretty sure they predate 2004 by a long way.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/feb/21/top-lawyers-warn-of-human-rights-crisis-after-brexit

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

I once engaged with the CFO of a medical group in the states right at the time of their 'NHS death panel' scare stories which was interesting.

Were you the top, or the bottom?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ookiimarukochan posted:

Were you the top, or the bottom?

I don't understand. This was at a barbecue.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the american attitude to opiates is v distressing when they're popping your shoulder back in without any painkillers then giving a prescription once it stops hurting

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Pretty sure they predate 2004 by a long way.

poo poo, yeah, sorry, wrong domain name. The same system applies over here, though - free votes are relatively rare, and used almost exclusively on minor issues of conscience. For an impression of scale, there were nine free votes between 2010 and 2015 (1.9 per year). For the one-year 2015/16 session, there were 269 votes total.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Darth Walrus posted:

A useful resource, particularly on the rarity of free votes. It's also worth noting that the opposition has never responded to a three-line whip without a whip of its own (whether for or against the government's motion) since the line system was introduced in 2004, and even before whips were officially codified into lines, there was always a degree of proportional response depending on the severity of the government whip.
You do understand that the page you cited is about Canada's parliament rather than Britain's, right? You very obviously don't know anything much about Parliamentary history or procedure since you were apparently able to read and copy the statement that "the line system was introduced in 2004" and not think "hang on, there's something very wrong here."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

You do understand that the page you cited is about Canada's parliament rather than Britain's, right? You very obviously don't know anything much about Parliamentary history or procedure since you were apparently able to read and copy the statement that "the line system was introduced in 2004" and not think "hang on, there's something very wrong here."

Eh, got caught out by all the parliamentary reforms under Blair, which did a lot to codify previously uncodified elements of parliamentary procedure. As you can see from my post just above, though, the data on this side of the pond backs up that the principle is identical over here - whips are the norm, and free votes are rarely used, and only for (constitutionally) low-priority matters of conscience like abortion and gay marriage. There's never been one on something this big.

(I should clarify here that I do think gay marriage was important, but not in this specific, technical context - it didn't specifically affect the running of the UK government).

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 21, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

poo poo, yeah, sorry, wrong domain name. The same system applies over here, though - free votes are relatively rare, and used almost exclusively on minor issues of conscience. For an impression of scale, there were nine free votes between 2010 and 2015 (1.9 per year). For the one-year 2015/16 session, there were 269 votes total.

Yeah I admire your spunk and creativity but this argument of yours just doesn't hold water I'm sorry.

Corbyn didn't have to impose a three line whip. He chose to. That's why people were asking if he would or not prior to vote. That's why people were surprised - some shocked - that he did.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah I admire your spunk and creativity but this argument of yours just doesn't hold water I'm sorry.

Corbyn didn't have to impose a three line whip. He chose to. That's why people were asking if he would or not prior to vote. That's why people were surprised - some shocked - that he did.

Based on? Do you have sources on free votes being successfully used for constitutional amendments?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
courtesy of the meme thread

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

Based on? Do you have sources on free votes being successfully used for constitutional amendments?

Which parliament are you interested in?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Which parliament are you interested in?

The UK one. Because the parliament.uk source I posted showed no constitutionally significant free votes in the time period they covered, or free vote responses to a three-line whip.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

The UK one. Because the parliament.uk source I posted showed no constitutionally significant free votes in the time period they covered, or free vote responses to a three-line whip.

So what?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

So I'm asking if you have any evidence or examples of the opposition successfully responding to a three-line whip over a constitutional amendment with a free vote that would back up your statement that Corbyn didn't have to whip.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Don't really see why Maverick New Politics Corbyn would have to obey stodgy parliamentary etiquette if he is in fact The Change We Need?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

So I'm asking if you have any evidence or examples of the opposition successfully responding to a three-line whip over a constitutional amendment with a free vote that would back up your statement that Corbyn didn't have to whip.

The uk doesn't have a codified constitution. Our constitution is made up of acts of parliament, case law and tradition. Every single vote in that list you linked to is a constitutional amendment.

There is nothing that compels an opposition leader to impose a three line whip.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Don't really see why Maverick New Politics Corbyn would have to obey stodgy parliamentary etiquette if he is in fact The Change We Need?

So that he could give an actual direction and policy stance to the party on a major constitutional issue?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

TheRat posted:

For what it's worth, Paul Flynn cites the same information as you do early on in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDPXiI0lzrk

It's nothing to do with the factual accuracy, it's a reference to the date of Elizabeth's accession to the throne. It's just not how a normal person would interpret the statistics, i.e. it's just deliberately deployed for exaggerative effect. We have also invited the last three Chinese presidents for state visits in the last 20 years.

There's no question that state visits have become more politicised. It used to be almost every invited head of state was a monarch or Commonwealth related. Since the late 90s you can clearly see less and less small/irrelevant nations, and more and more big players. Post Clinton it is now the norm for presidents of the US to be invited for a state visit. The only mildly surprising thing this time around is how fast it is happening, and really, it is not surprising. Trump is very pro-UK, the UK is in the middle of Brexit and looking for a stronger relationship with the US.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Canada has more party discipline than vanilla Westminster - the traditional analysis is that the UK has a three-line whip system, where only defying the three-line whip has substantive consequences, and conversely the three-line whip is theoretically only used in areas where party confidence is to be demonstrated. So the semantic difference between a one-line whip and a free vote is that a free vote implies that the party position is to explicitly demur

conversely, in the Canadian federal parliament, all votes are treated as votes of confidence unless explicitly freed; this is a source of considerable angst to Canadian pro-democratisation reformers

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

So that he could give an actual direction and policy stance to the party on a major constitutional issue?
OK but that's a choice and in no sense a requirement.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
as a rule of thumb, all of the Westminster spinoffs are considerably more party-centralist than the vanilla flavour, having diverged considerably since 1911

party it is due to constitutionalisation - stuff that was merely convention, like resigning to contest a by-election whenever one is expelled or crosses the floor (even if the number of rebels is not enough to collapse confidence) was, at the beginning of the 20th century, only a parliamentary convention. the UK proceeded to discard it for being undemocratic. New Zealand and Singapore encoded it in law.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN04650

Of the big EU Acts up until 2004, only one of four had an opposition whip in response to the government's three line whip.

Jeremy Corbyn did not have to impose a three line whip.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 21, 2017

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jeza posted:

There's no question that state visits have become more politicised. It used to be almost every invited head of state was a monarch or Commonwealth related. Since the late 90s you can clearly see less and less small/irrelevant nations, and more and more big players. Post Clinton it is now the norm for presidents of the US to be invited for a state visit. The only mildly surprising thing this time around is how fast it is happening, and really, it is not surprising. Trump is very pro-UK, the UK is in the middle of Brexit and looking for a stronger relationship with the US.

See, now this is a more sensible analysis. Yes, it's more likely a US president would get a State Visit than it used to be and yeah, no-one's saying that it's particularly surprising. With that said, Trump isn't just any president, he's wildly publicly unpopular.

It's quite a lot like Bush's visit (which Blair got a lot of poo poo for, there were widespread protests etc) except it started being talked about after ~2 weeks in office as opposed to, y'know, well over 100.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Darth Walrus posted:

The absurdity of talking about "constitutional amendments" in the UK notwithstanding, the Tories had a parliamentary free vote on "the European question" prior to the 1975 referendum on membership of the common market. Is that "constitutional" enough for you to acknowledge that you've been spouting unmitigated bollocks all along?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

The uk doesn't have a codified constitution. Our constitution is made up of acts of parliament, case law and tradition. Every single vote in that list you linked to is a constitutional amendment.

There is nothing that compels an opposition leader to impose a three line whip.

You may want to look up what a government constitution is again. Long story short, it's the structure of a government, determining what parts have what powers and who those parts of government answer to. So, for example, an Act altering the definition of marriage would not be a constitutional alteration, because it's simply the government choosing to exercise its pre-existing power over the definition of marriage. Similarly, since parliament has power over whether or not we go to war, voting on bombing Libya is not a constitutional matter. Changes to the structure of government itself (such as altering term limits, removing parliamentary sovereignty, and enhancing and reducing the abilities of the House of Lords) are constitutional matters. Invoking Article 50 is a constitutional matter because it removes the EU as a body with an advisory influence on U.K. law.

Whether or not the UK's written constitution is codified into a single document is irrelevant to this, and so is how easy the constitution is to change.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
You might want to plead the Fifth on this one it'd be better than digging the hole any deeper than it already is.

You realise House of Lords reforms - something you have just described as a 'constitutional issue' - is on that list of free votes, which are supposedly impossible, right?

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 21, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So there's a bunch of news stories today based on 'sources' from inside the Monday PLP meeting, and Mandelson has told an audience he is 'working every day' to bring down Jeremy Corbyn.

You have to hand it to them, they really stuck to the idea of 'let him fail on his own' as long as they could.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
then again, the traditional analysis also holds that Labour is more cohesive and disciplined than the Tories, even though the crack started with Benn and that was how many decades ago now

new stuff happens every now and then; that's why it's new

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

jabby posted:

So there's a bunch of news stories today based on 'sources' from inside the Monday PLP meeting, and Mandelson has told an audience he is 'working every day' to bring down Jeremy Corbyn.

You have to hand it to them, they really stuck to the idea of 'let him fail on his own' as long as they could.

Yeah, decent effort but the wanks in the party have probably realised by now he's not going anywhere

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Anybody else here ever watched Poltergeist 2?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ronya posted:

then again, the traditional analysis also holds that Labour is more cohesive and disciplined than the Tories, even though the crack started with Benn and that was how many decades ago now

new stuff happens every now and then; that's why it's new

I get the impression sometimes that the Tory party right now is like a really nicely furnished house that looks nice and well kept from the inside, but is subsiding , has woodrot and the roof could collapse at any second. The owner has decided that the best policy is to not think about the problems and try and make sure the outside stays looking spick and span.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

MikeCrotch posted:

I get the impression sometimes that the Tory party right now is like a really nicely furnished house that looks nice and well kept from the inside, but is subsiding , has woodrot and the roof could collapse at any second. The owner has decided that the best policy is to not think about the problems and try and make sure the outside stays looking spick and span.

it seems to be doing well enough, as a party - it is successfully bridging factions that hate and despise each other, even though this hatred is so deep that it totally incapacitates the party from yielding anything like a consensus ideological outlook

as an organization brought together to realize very few points of agreement, it is a remarkable success, and all the more so given the instability brought about by a rough post-Cameron succession and a lacklustre May premiership

one should not expect too much out of a mass party. the nature of a big tent is that it's full of people one would rather not rub shoulders with.

• Locked thread