Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

The new skin is pretty nice but I'm going to end up going back to Titan because of Estuary's non-configurability on stuff like this.

Yep, I'm using it on a Shield and just want to be able to add a couple addons (Netflix/YouTube/Google Play Music) to the main menu, but I don't see a way to do that. Sticking with Amber for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Hello Spaceman posted:

Skin chat: Xperience1080 remains the objective best interface for XBMC. It seems the most like a commercially-realised product once all libraries are set up.

It was awful on the Xbox and the knockoff for Kodi didn't make the "xperience" much sweeter imo

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I switched back to Confluence on kodi 17 because that's what I'm used to. I should check out some of these other skins sometime.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

phosdex posted:

I switched back to Confluence on kodi 17 because that's what I'm used to. I should check out some of these other skins sometime.

Titan is like a modern version of confluence and has tons of configuration options, more than you'd ever actually need.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Box is the best skin. I havent checked if it's still being maintained/updated for 17.0 though, so in no rush to updated my installs from Jarvis yet.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I actually really like the new default skin but it doesn't seem to be configurable at all.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

CubanMissile posted:

I actually really like the new default skin but it doesn't seem to be configurable at all.

That's my problem with it. I think I'm going to end up going back to Titan.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Keito posted:

It was awful on the Xbox and the knockoff for Kodi didn't make the "xperience" much sweeter imo

i like thing :downs:

It's good enough now to have made the cut for the official repo. Maybe it was still in development when you last tried it? :shrug:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have a Panasonic plasma TV and a Windows box running Kodi. I used to have everything set to full range color, but when I upgraded Kodi to v17 the option for limited range was exposed so I turned that on in Kodi and on my TV. I used a calibration video in Kodi to set my black and white points. For whatever reason the TV will show darker blacks with limited turned on, so this is good, except Kodi is making letter boxes grey instead of black. If I change the TV controls I can crush them to black but I lose too much shadow detail doing that. I can't find any info on how to fix this problem, but I have seen some others mention having it. Any ideas?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You need to set kodi to whatever setting your tv is set too. If you have your tv set to full range set kodi to full range. If you have your tv set to limited set kodi to limited.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I did that. Before everything was full, but when I was able to set Kodi to limited I set both TV and Kodi. Overall the picture looks better because the video files don't need to be converted and for whatever reason the TV will display darker blacks. Just the letter boxes aren't as dark as the black in actual video.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah holy loving hell that limited range vs full range rgb poo poo gets confusing. I feel like I'd need weed or ritalin to be able to sit down and figure out the lectures on it vs my hardware.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

jonathan posted:

yeah holy loving hell that limited range vs full range rgb poo poo gets confusing. I feel like I'd need weed or ritalin to be able to sit down and figure out the lectures on it vs my hardware.

Here is how you figure it out

Is your tv set to full range, if so set kodi to full range

is your tv set to limited rage, if so set kodi to limited range.

TomR posted:

I did that. Before everything was full, but when I was able to set Kodi to limited I set both TV and Kodi. Overall the picture looks better because the video files don't need to be converted and for whatever reason the TV will display darker blacks. Just the letter boxes aren't as dark as the black in actual video.

Make sure you havn't messed with kodis contrast/brightness setting. They should both be at default 50.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I didn't know Kodi had those controls. What menu are they in?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

TomR posted:

I didn't know Kodi had those controls. What menu are they in?

While watching a video go to where you can adjust audio and poo poo, one of them is video.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Thanks, I never thought to change anything in there. I just checked and they are both set to 50%.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Well leave them at 50 lol. They are useful on lovely tv's that cant adjust properly but other than that leave them alone.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Don Lapre posted:

Here is how you figure it out

Is your tv set to full range, if so set kodi to full range

is your tv set to limited rage, if so set kodi to limited range.

I use an Optoma HD33 projector and I don't think it has that setting, but also doesn't tell you what it's set to (or it automatically senses it I am not sure) then I have it being driven by an Onkyo txnr818 which tries to do a bunch of video processing which I have disabled. Then the source is kodi/plex running on a nexus player which I don't even think gives me the option, so I have to guess the source, receiver and projector. I think it's set correctly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

jonathan posted:

I use an Optoma HD33 projector and I don't think it has that setting, but also doesn't tell you what it's set to (or it automatically senses it I am not sure) then I have it being driven by an Onkyo txnr818 which tries to do a bunch of video processing which I have disabled. Then the source is kodi/plex running on a nexus player which I don't even think gives me the option, so I have to guess the source, receiver and projector. I think it's set correctly.

You have a setting under "image" called "color space"

That is where your setting is. two of the options are RGB 16-235 (limited) and RGB 0-255 (full range)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Limited and Full are confusing terms because they lead people to believe the one is better than the other - after all who wouldn't want full?

Limited means the RGB range is 16-235. Full means 0-255. Here's the thing - most TVs, projectors, etc. are meant for limited. They will actually look worse with full. Full is for computer monitors and the like (and not even all of them). Some TVs have a "full" option because chuckleheads like Sony implemented it in their consoles as an option but that is usually neither here nor there.

So while there may be exceptions, if you are using a TV as a display, you generally want limited RGB all around. Set that then calibrate brightness/contrast at a minimum using a decent calibration pattern.

You think this is confusing just wait until you get more in to HDR, rec.2020 colorspace, etc.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I kinda remember that all now, I haven't played with those settings in awhile, not since my last video calibration.

I just checked the Android TV settings, I can't find the setting, also can't find it in Kodi 17 or in Plex. On my.projector I had it set to auto. Should I change this to limited ? Will the nexus player sense the change during hdmi handshake ?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
If Kodi gets set to limited range then blacks get turned to a shade of gray on my TV, so my advice would be to use the full range unless that looks like poo poo.

If your TV/projector supports the full RGB range and it gets output correctly I don't know why anyone would go out of their way to limit the colorspace.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Keito posted:

If your TV/projector supports the full RGB range and it gets output correctly I don't know why anyone would go out of their way to limit the colorspace.
Because movies use limited (at least on blu-ray and dvd, I have no idea what streaming services do), and if you set your tv/kodi to full then kodi has to expand the limited video range to fit the full range you've set on the tv. This can lead to banding in dark scenes unless the hardware or software doing the expanding is very good. And even the very good ones usually use dithering to avoid the banding problem, which is basically adding noise to the picture to cover up the artifacts that were only introduced because you decided to use full RGB when you didn't need it.

So, if you're using your tv/projector to mostly watch TV and movies, set everything to limited. If it's doubling as a computer monitor, set everything to full and hope the video artifacts aren't too distracting.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Keito posted:

If Kodi gets set to limited range then blacks get turned to a shade of gray on my TV, so my advice would be to use the full range unless that looks like poo poo.

Your content is all done in limited range. Full range actually has to modify the video. If your blacks turn gray then it's not calibrated or you have a bad TV.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I made an MSPaint to show the problem I have more clearly. I exaggerated the difference so you can see it clearly, it's not that bad, but it is noticeable.

I always have the TV and Kodi set the same so it isn't a miss match problem. The movie it's self looks better under limited, but it's like Kodi is still running it's UI and letterboxes in full range or something. The TV has a few options to control the brightness, contrast, gamma, etc. So I can crush the letterboxes to black, but that also crushes shadows on the movie.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TomR posted:

I made an MSPaint to show the problem I have more clearly. I exaggerated the difference so you can see it clearly, it's not that bad, but it is noticeable.

I always have the TV and Kodi set the same so it isn't a miss match problem. The movie it's self looks better under limited, but it's like Kodi is still running it's UI and letterboxes in full range or something. The TV has a few options to control the brightness, contrast, gamma, etc. So I can crush the letterboxes to black, but that also crushes shadows on the movie.

One problem you may not be looking at is: what are your actual HTPC Video settings? Since it is an actual PC it may be sending "Full" regardless of what you tell Kodi to do. For example if you are using a PC with an integrated Intel GPU, there are settings in the Intel video app for colorspace and by default that does full. Nvidia and AMD GPUs have similar controls. For PCs, "full" is normally the default setting.

As others have already correctly pointed out, movies and TV shows are mastered for RGB limited. This includes those delivered by streaming services. "HDR" stuff is an exception; that provides special metadata that indicates higher peak brightness, etc. and is always paired with a more advanced colorspace (called rec.2020/bt.2020). Primarily meant for 4k and 8k content. For the vast majority of stuff today that doesn't matter a bit so ignore it for now.

Anyway, first make sure your video card (or Shield/etc.) is sending limited RGB. Then make sure your TV is set for that too. Finally, set Kodi to limited. Then calibrate your TV's brightness and contrast using a pattern (there are free ones on AVSForum.com) so that you don't A)Clip white and B) Crush blacks. Done correctly you'll get the best picture your device is capable of.

Since you are using a Windows PC as a media center I suspect that has some role in your problem, so check.

Edit: I should add that this sounds like a special circumstance; for streaming boxes like the Shield, etc, normally "auto" all around works just fine. Depends on your display chain.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
This says not to do that: http://kodi.wiki/view/video_levels_and_color_space
Apparently setting all three to limited can result in washed out colors.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TomR posted:

Thanks for that, I've never seen that Wiki page before.

That is just crazy. How could any "play and forget" user ever figure that out? There are a lot of video apps out there that don't require nearly that level of tweaking, but it is what it is I guess.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I finally got off Sickbeard and upgraded to Sonarr (Sickrage didn't install after two attempts, so I gave up on that). I can't believe how much I was janitoring my library, and it seems like SOnarr can do everything for me. However, I was wondering what anyone else was using for notifications? I have Pushover for now, but it's a 7 day trial. Not that $5 a year is a big deal, but I was wondering if anyone had anything better.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Real question, not being a dick, what do you need notifications for? I mean, I have them going directly to Kodi via RPC, but I ignore 99% of them. In my mind, Sonarr's best quality is that it's fire and forget. I give it a show that I want to watch, and whenever I sit down on the couch it's just there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

G-Prime posted:

Real question, not being a dick, what do you need notifications for? I mean, I have them going directly to Kodi via RPC, but I ignore 99% of them. In my mind, Sonarr's best quality is that it's fire and forget. I give it a show that I want to watch, and whenever I sit down on the couch it's just there.

I was going to ask this but I didn't want to come off like an rear end in a top hat, because I'm not saying this in any rear end in a top hat-ish way. IUG may just not realize that they really don't need notifications (but maybe they do).

But since you started it...I agree. I used to have pushbullet notifications set up, but then those stopped working for whatever reason and now I just don't care to have them. I go to watch TV shows and TV shows are there to watch.

Also...this isn't the Usenet thread!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Upgraded to Kodi 17 and I'm really liking the new default skin. Recently added episodes wasn't as annoying to get to as I thought it was gonna be. They did a nice job on the new version.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

TomR posted:

Thanks for the link and thanks to the two above who corrected me after my last point. I had no idea you couldn't just expand the color space without losing detail.

IUG posted:

I finally got off Sickbeard and upgraded to Sonarr (Sickrage didn't install after two attempts, so I gave up on that). I can't believe how much I was janitoring my library, and it seems like SOnarr can do everything for me. However, I was wondering what anyone else was using for notifications? I have Pushover for now, but it's a 7 day trial. Not that $5 a year is a big deal, but I was wondering if anyone had anything better.
I'm using Telegram for notifications which is totally free but that's using SickRage.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My reason is I don't watch that much TV and don't pay attention to schedules. So I'll miss a few episodes of a show before I know it. I don't use Kodi every day, so I wouldn't see it there.

Right now I'm just testing out the features of the new program.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

fletcher posted:

Upgraded to Kodi 17 and I'm really liking the new default skin. Recently added episodes wasn't as annoying to get to as I thought it was gonna be. They did a nice job on the new version.

Speaking of recently added/unwatched episodes, is there a setting to make it show all, not just the most recent? Googling didn't help, and this lazytv plugin that I did find isn't very good/stable.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Not sure if there is a show all, I just look at my show list and look for ones that are missing the checkmark next to them. Probably depends a lot on how you watch your episodes though.

Iirc, the sonarr notifications to kodi will show up in the system event list. I have those notifications on and then an email one if sonarr upgrades.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

IUG posted:

I use Prowl to get notifications of grabs/downloads on my iPhone.

Also if anyone remembers MeediOS (started as myHPTC, then went paid with Meedio, then when that collapsed fans made an open source version), it's finally dead. The one or two holdouts can't keep the servers paid for anymore. RIP.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I just use emails to get notifications when something has downloaded, can set up appropriate filters to make it as unobtrusive as required.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Slash posted:

I just use emails to get notifications when something has downloaded, can set up appropriate filters to make it as unobtrusive as required.

This is what I do, in nzbget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm using SPMC on the Shield, and the game controller stopped working. It still works in other apps. And it definitely worked before. Anyone else encountered this?