Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Impressive they are going to make the one Rubio trade they could to downgrade their outside shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

This is the worst thing ever.

no it's actually pretty good

Rubio can go back to calling himself an icon once he brings his mediocre rear end to the Garden :)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

This is the worst thing ever.

Is it really?

Rose is an expiring. It prevents Rubio from blocking Dunn, and allowing Tyus Jones more playing time too.

Rose(in theory) knows Thibs system and could help other players in it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Please trade Rose for Rubio

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I apologize for previously praising Tom Thibodeau.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Is it really?

Rose is an expiring. It prevents Rubio from blocking Dunn, and allowing Tyus Jones more playing time too.

The Wolves win a lot more with Rubio than without him. I doubt that will apply to Rose.

Rubio is really, really fun to watch. Broken Rose is not. This I am pretty sure of.

Getting Rose for nothing/peanuts would be fine, giving up Rubio who is on a really good contract is really crappy.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
If they are making this trade with the intention of re-signing Rose then it's dumber than if this is a trade to dump Rubio's contract.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I'm gonna repurpose my isiah thomas shrine that I pray daily to a thibs one, please make this happen o' tom

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dexo posted:

Is it really?

Much like the Knicks/Derrick Rose trade, it's only as bad as what their intent is post-trade.

If this is their way of dumping Rubio, who I don't think is very good, then it's fine. Kind of a 'whatever' trade because it has no real long term implications for the timberwolves and the Knicks get a better player who can pass the ball to Zinger and Melo.

If their intent is to resign Rose then lol just lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dexo posted:

Is it really?

Blocking Dunn is a good thing.

Although if Tyus gets more playing time maybe Thibs will finally realize that he's better than Duhahaha no he won't god dammit I hate everything.

#FreeTyus

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

The Wolves win a lot more with Rubio than without him. I doubt that will apply to Rose.

Rubio is really, really fun to watch. Broken Rose is not. This I am pretty sure of.

Getting Rose for nothing/peanuts would be fine, giving up Rubio who is on a really good contract is really crappy.

It depends on how much the Wolves org(well Thibs) likes Dunn.

If Thibs thinks that Dunn's ceiling is higher than Rubio's even if Rubio is better now. He should play Dunn.

Also Freeing up Rubio's money opens up space for a theoretical max Contract this offseason if my math is correct(it's probably not).

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Lol that Dunn is only 3.5 years younger than Rubio

Dexo posted:

If Thibs thinks that Dunn's ceiling is higher than Rubio's even if Rubio is better now. He should play Dunn.

Also Freeing up Rubio's money opens up space for a theoretical max Contract this offseason if my math is correct(it's probably not).

They were already pretty close to being able to offer one but yeah moving Rubio for an expiring Rose would put them well above being able to offer a max to someone.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Why do people think Rubio needs to be dumped? He has the 2nd highest WS/48 (over .100) on the team, 3rd highest PER (over 15), 3rd highest BPM, 3rd highest RPM.... By any metric he's a positive player and he's making 13 mil a year. He has trouble scoring, but his team is better with him on the floor.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Pekovic can be medically retired. They can offer one next year if they do that.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Jota posted:

They were already pretty close to being able to offer one but yeah moving Rubio for an expiring Rose would put them well above being able to offer a max to someone.

Yeah if they believe in Dunn, this is a good move to sign a max player this offseason.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dexo posted:

Dunn's rookie season is as bad or worse than Austin Rivers' rookie season. Especially offensively.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh, and Rivers was going against starters the majority of his time, too.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dude, Rubio getting traded to the Knicks was predicted like 8 years ago by everyone :smug:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Dude, Rubio getting traded to the Knicks was predicted like 8 years ago by everyone :smug:

You are the only person who gets to make fun.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Lockback posted:

Why do people think Rubio needs to be dumped? He has the 2nd highest WS/48 (over .100) on the team, 3rd highest PER (over 15), 3rd highest BPM, 3rd highest RPM.... By any metric he's a positive player and he's making 13 mil a year. He has trouble scoring, but his team is better with him on the floor.

Maybe they want to use the money saved on someone like Jrue?

WhyteRyce posted:

I remember that night.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Lockback posted:

Pekovic can be medically retired. They can offer one next year if they do that.

Even with his contract on the books they have like $30 million in cap space. If they do this and Pek comes off they'd have like $55 million in cap space.

Durant and Ibaka gonna reunite in Minnesota

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kibner posted:

Dunn's rookie season is as bad or worse than Austin Rivers' rookie season. Especially offensively.

I'm not here to say it should happen(I wouldn't do it). But it makes sense if you want to give the other two PG's real playing time.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Reports coming out that Chris Paul will re-sign with the Clippers for $200+ million.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dexo posted:

I'm not here to say it should happen(I wouldn't do it). But it makes sense if you want to give the other two PG's real playing time.

Tyus, sure, why not. I don't think you would want to increase the minutes for Dunn from his current 15+ mpg until he becomes a playable bench guy.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
As someone with severe doubts about the lateral quickness of any member of the White race (with the notable exception of Klay Thompson), is Rubio's defense really that good? What makes it any good?

I'm not really seeing any numbers from this year that make PG defense by anyone other than Chris Paul and Westbrook look negligible. All three Minn guards look like they got similar defensive stats

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Jesus Christ can we please go back to the Reggie for Rubio trade?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

As someone with severe doubts about the lateral quickness of any member of the White race (with the notable exception of Klay Thompson), is Rubio's defense really that good? What makes it any good?

I'm not really seeing any numbers from this year that make PG defense by anyone other than Chris Paul and Westbrook look negligible. All three Minn guards look like they got similar defensive stats

He's a good rebounder for the position, he's one of the best guys in the league at getting steals (though its a bit down this year), he has pretty good size so he can switch over to SG and even smaller SF easily. He has trouble staying in front of quick PGs, but so does nearly every PG in the league, so that's pretty normal and is what help defense is for.

In some fairness, this year he hasn't been quite as good. Look at his last years stats or his full seasons before his injury season and he was near the top at most defensive metrics for the position. I think its more likely adjusting to the new defensive scheme than any sort of slowdown from a 26 year old guy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Menstrual Show posted:

Jesus Christ can we please go back to the Reggie for Rubio trade?

That would be a comically worse trade.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Come to Cleveland Ricky, got some rings with your name on them

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

Why do people think Rubio needs to be dumped?

You answered your own question!

Lockback posted:

He has trouble scoring

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Dexo posted:

That would be a comically worse trade.

Not for the Pistons

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Reports coming out that Chris Paul will re-sign with the Clippers for $200+ million.

I'd also like to report that I would sign with the clippers for 200+ million.

Seriously, what the gently caress kind of report is this lmao.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If Thibs deals Rubio I'm gonna start following the Pelicans.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'd also like to report that I would sign with the clippers for 200+ million.

Seriously, what the gently caress kind of report is this lmao.

People have speculated about the Clips blowing it up for the past year and a top 10 player re-signing is news no matter what.

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/834061410325848064

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 21, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I've been saying forever cp3 isn't leaving Los Angeles. He's set up nice there .

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/nbcprobballtalk/status/834071303741128704

Rip PG13 in Indy.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
If Boston gets Butler he's just going to gain 75 pounds at Wahlburger

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pg13 signaling pretty hard.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/834076844244754433

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm planning to go to my first ever NBA match in Minnesota when they play OKC in April, and if Rubio's been traded by then I'll probably be cheering for OKC.

• Locked thread