Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eames
May 9, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

That CPU/GPU pairing reminds me of the bad old days when PCs were sold with massively overpowered CPUs (for the time) but GPUs that were unbelievably weedy. All because most people only knew MORE MEGAHERTZ = BETTER!

Yeah.

They also sell a Intel Core i5-7600K/1060-3G/16GB/240GB SSD/1TB HDD for the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3peat
May 6, 2010

Some info translated by me from the guy who runs the biggest romanian review site and has already received one of the 8 core models (he doesn't say which because of the NDA); they've been doing reviews and LN2 overclocking for a long time, so it's pretty legit

quote:

Guys, in short

Ryzen has the same IPC as Broadwell E, maybe a little above. In anything multithreaded it beats 7700K, which is normal. But as it's clocked at up to 4GHz, while the 7700K runs at 4.5, it cannot compare in anything that isn't multithreaded, no?

Secondly, apparently the last revision, F4, reaches 4-4.2 OC on air, which is more OK. [I assume he means on all cores]

Third, today, I don't know at what hour, we should be allowed to show you the models and other stuff. I don't know when, depends on the time in San Francisco, on when they'll give the green light. So models and prices should also appear on the Garage [romanian online store]

Like I said before I don't know anything about the lower models. If they launch now [at the same time as the 8 core ones], I won't have them in time for a review.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Really from all the leaks I am really excited and hopeful. The 6C and 8C parts all look like fantastic bang for the buck deals. Now here is hoping the motherboards are good as well, and we see some stupid good numbers out of a few outliers.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Truga posted:

This is a bit old cause I didn't follow this thread as closely as I should in the last three weeks but...

The HPC people I'm talking to are standing in a loving line to get AMD into their datacenters right now, dumping intel and their CUDA apps, just to get on the Zen APU train a bit earlier, because big clients like CERN etc are breathing down their neck about it. What the poo poo are you on about?

I didn't mention anything about HPC, which is not a majority part of the physical datacenter market. I can assure you running VMware, or any other enterprise grade hypervisor/stack, on a brand new chipset in production without proper support is going to be a really bad time.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

evilweasel posted:

The EU has started also seriously enforcing antitrust laws in the last decade or two, so the imminent gutting of antitrust enforcement in the US won't get them off the hook completely.

Yeah, but the current US administration HATES all the non-white executives in silicon valley. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and such. Intel potentially having to compete for once will be "unfair" and "sad", and Raja and Lisa will get put on the hit list, while Krzanich schmoozing with Trump and dumping 7 mil into their Arizona facility is maga maga maga maga.

And they say "white privilege" isn't a thing anymore.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, but the current US administration HATES all the non-white executives in silicon valley. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and such. Intel potentially having to compete for once will be "unfair" and "sad", and Raja and Lisa will get put on the hit list, while Krzanich schmoozing with Trump and dumping 7 mil into their Arizona facility is maga maga maga maga.

When did Krzanich meet with Trump?

Last I remember he hasn't met with Trump on his Insider Tech panel yet which in any case, is probably a bad thing at this point if he was going to want to do any schmoozing at all.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EdEddnEddy posted:

When did Krzanich meet with Trump?

Last I remember he hasn't met with Trump on his Insider Tech panel yet which in any case, is probably a bad thing at this point if he was going to want to do any schmoozing at all.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-is-2nd-president-to-laud-unfinished-intel-plant/

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 21, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I wonder if he took a look in the briefcase with confidential materials. I mean the one just out of frame, the one with the key still in it.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

3peat posted:

Some info translated by me from the guy who runs the biggest romanian review site and has already received one of the 8 core models (he doesn't say which because of the NDA); they've been doing reviews and LN2 overclocking for a long time, so it's pretty legit

4.2Ghz all core sounds fairly decent, it's basically Broadwell-E with an AMD sticker and a third to half price in worst case. If the 4.0Ghz one is only hitting 120W as CPC indicates as the worst case scenario, then it sound more like clockspeed is a limitation of the process or design rather than voltage or thermal limit. Which means the R 1700 and R5 1600X/1500 are the best bang for buck since they'll share a clock limit with the 4 core parts. No, it won't beat Kabylake in 1-2 thread tasks, but it also sounds like AMD's multithread is better, so scaling past 4 threads should even them out, hence why AMD is offering more threads for a target price bracket.

Also, this makes the supposed 15% increase in performance for Zen+ more realistic than originally supposed, it's an optimization of process/design for higher clockspeeds while still on 14nm (we're talkin moving from 4.0Ghz to 4.4-4.6Ghz as the only thing happening).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well, outside of Twitter and other news, I would think business people meeting with the business experienced President would be a smart thing to create a bridge early on, regardless of outlook and viewpoint. But that doesn't mean Intel is bad/good at any rate considering how bad it is on the inside since ACT.

Until we offload McAfee and figure out of we are a Software company, or a Hardware company, or an iOT company, or whatever the hell. Intel is ripe for the kicking by AMD/Nvidia and the like.

On the AMD front. Check out that stock today. :toot:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

McAfee kind of was already offloaded

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Trump doomsaying in this thread as well?

eames
May 9, 2009

1600X @ 4.0 Ghz vs a 7600K @ 5.0 Ghz is going to be a fairly close race overall. :raise:

>50% of all 7600Ks will do that stable according to silicon lottery and judging from the early reports I'd be surprised if a 1600X goes far beyond 4.0.
Intel will still have the edge for :pcgaming:. AMD for content creation (3D and video rendering, code compilation, VMs, etc).

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm honestly very tempted by Moar Cores. If it can beat my 2600k in single thread and let me multitask and run ffmpeg better, I'm all for it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hows the CPU useage for Vive? Are there threads for handling sensor feedback and such that benefit from more cores?

I'm just waiting to see the min framerate it gets in gaming, particularly in VR (but not many people seem to cover that.)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Hows the CPU useage for Vive? Are there threads for handling sensor feedback and such that benefit from more cores?

I'm just waiting to see the min framerate it gets in gaming, particularly in VR (but not many people seem to cover that.)

The Vive and other VR headsets really do want as many cores and as much GPU as you can throw at them, though GPU certainly helps much more. Having more CPU cores does help in getting more consistent framerates, which is vital for the 3D effect to not become unpleasant.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mayodreams posted:

I didn't mention anything about HPC, which is not a majority part of the physical datacenter market. I can assure you running VMware, or any other enterprise grade hypervisor/stack, on a brand new chipset in production without proper support is going to be a really bad time.

Last time I installed esx on a slew of brand new amd/supermicro hardware it worked extremely well, actually. It was pre-bulldozer though, I'm sure AMD has somehow decided to drop the ball completely on that between now and then.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

CPU usage for vive is minimal, but random cpu spikes from your chome/firefox in the background can cause stutters and more cores helps with that.

eames
May 9, 2009

guy over at anandtech weighs in on overclocking and memory bandwidth.
Kind of what I expected, sounds like the lucky maximum will be 1800X @ 4.4 Ghz at >200W TDP on water. :tif:

orangekrush posted:

Overclocking this platform is crazy complicated and unrewarding. The clock speeds are low and if you have dreams of a 4.5GHz 24/7 setup, best forget it. In fact most of us will run 3.8 to maybe 4GHz on all cores if we're lucky for 24/7. 1.4V at 4GHz = 90'C load temp with air cooler, so be mindful of that. We need new coolers for the most part because the CPU height is not the same as previous CPUs amongst other changes.

orangekrush posted:

Again from source overclocking stable from 3.8~ is unrewarding, the silicon is temperamental to high voltage. A 3.8 all core OC is pushing it

eames fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 21, 2017

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

What I understand so far.

1. Almost all leaks come from the ES samples that AMD gave out to the motherboard manufacturers for board development/fitting etc. Those samples may have binning issues or disabled XFR/boost/other capabilities (as far as I remember, only haswell got a better ES OC than a product OC).

2. In the performance front, this time it seems that AMD is hitting their IPC goal numbers (40% above BD). In absolute numbers, that is around 10%-15% below the latest and greatest from the blues. It is fine, especially if you take into account stock TDP, core and price numbers.

3. The price/performance ratio when you compare the chip to Broadwell-E is very competitive.

4. AMD may be aggressively binning their parts for first launch. Meaning that getting the pricier X models may not only give you better stock clocks and XFR, but also more OC headroom.

5. Jim Keller is pretty good at his job. He left after designing Zen++. Lisa Su is also good at her job. AMD has been too terrible, too long, and that changing is a breath of fresh air for the market.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So what's up with the 6 core ryzens, they don't clock as high as either the 4s or 8s. Are they actually 8 core units with disabled (damaged) cores? Or are they just keeping those a bit hobbled to make the 1700x a better top dog?

Anyways the 1700x looks like a real steal, but I'm also pretty excited about the "mainstream enthusiast" zone. The 1400x and 1200x could be really great alternatives to the standard 7500 or 7600K that pretty much everybody slaps in their gaming pc. About the same performance, save $50, what's not to like? The 7700K is going to stay at the top of all gaming benchmarks though, so people who like to spend $350 for benchmark performance will stick with intel.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hear my train a' coming: http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-cpus-support-ddr4-memory-speeds-3600mhz/

Getting those Fallout minimum frames up.

E: wccftech salt etc

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

In all truth though, first gen 6/8 cores from AMD of this gen are probably going to be a little rough considering Glofo and such. But also getting 8 cores up above 4.2+Ghz together isn't even something you do on Intel all that much currently so even if they are behind, at the prices they look to be launching at, they are ahead.

More is better like always, but dang if AMD doesn't look to have a good chip for once in the past decade again.

Also the Biostar stuff seems plausible. They sort of tried to enter the "gaming" Intel board market and while their offerings were ok, they were nothing to write home about nor enough to pull anyone away from ASUS/Gigabyte/MSI/ASRock/etc.

So if they can hit the AMD market hard, they could be a bigger player early on which would be good for them.

eames
May 9, 2009

O/T but all those legit tech news sites must be pretty fed up with sites like wccftech and videocardz driving 99% of the Ryzen traffic.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Klyith posted:

Anyways the 1700x looks like a real steal, but I'm also pretty excited about the "mainstream enthusiast" zone. The 1400x and 1200x could be really great alternatives to the standard 7500 or 7600K that pretty much everybody slaps in their gaming pc. About the same performance, save $50, what's not to like? The 7700K is going to stay at the top of all gaming benchmarks though, so people who like to spend $350 for benchmark performance will stick with intel.

By the time that a game comes out that pushes current CPUs to the point of effectively throttling your gaming experience (for example, sub-60 FPS minimums at your playing resolution), the games existing would already be in need of more cores than what your standard i5 or/and i7 can handle.

Moreover, more cores/threads means better simultaneous streaming and encoding performance for enthusiasts that carry the market (streamers, youtubers et).

In other words. If you already have a decent OCing i5/i7 for gaming right now, there is no need to replace it for a ryzen system. If you are making a new PC though and are a gamer, it may make sense to buy one right now, if only for more future-proofing (since the real day to day performance delta in gaming is non-existent, games are GPU limited).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Truga posted:

The HPC people I'm talking to are standing in a loving line to get AMD into their datacenters right now, dumping intel and their CUDA apps, just to get on the Zen APU train a bit earlier, because big clients like CERN etc are breathing down their neck about it. What the poo poo are you on about?
Wouldn't a Pascal Titan outperform any AMD setup?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is John Mcaffe still going full retard in the Jungle?
I know that's what I look for in a software developer.

eames
May 9, 2009

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_reveals_a_exascale_mega_apu_in_a_new_academic_paper/1

article posted:

In the image below you can see that this APU uses eight different CPU dies/chiplets and eight different GPU dies/chiplets to create an exascale APU that can effectively act like a single unit. If these CPU chiplets use AMD's Ryzen CPU architecture they will have a minimum of 4 CPU cores, giving this hypothetical APU a total of 32 CPU cores and 64 threads.

This new APU type will also use onboard memory, using a next-generation memory type that can be stacked directly onto a GPU die, rather than be stacked beside a GPU like HBM. Combine this with an external bank of memory (perhaps DDR4) and AMD's new GPU memory architecture and you will have a single APU that can work with a seemingly endless amount of memory and easily compute using both CPU and GPU resources using HSA (Heterogeneous System Architecture).

In this chip both the CPU and GPU portions can use the packages onboard memory as well as an external memory, opening up a lot of interesting possibilities for the HPC market, possibilities that neither Intel or Nvidia can provide themselves.

man they are really going for it :stare:
pretty much apple's wet dream for the rMBP too, picks up where Crystalwell left off and turns it up to 11.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Josh Lyman posted:

The HPC cards that AMD has previewed so far are pretty close to the P100 but more importantly I think the HPC people want the advantage of an APU over a CPU + GPU that have to communicate over PCI-E.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dante80 posted:

By the time that a game comes out that pushes current CPUs to the point of effectively throttling your gaming experience (for example, sub-60 FPS minimums at your playing resolution), the games existing would already be in need of more cores than what your standard i5 or/and i7 can handle.
Yup, though that never stopped anyone from buying more CPU than they needed or could see any benefit in real performance before!

More cores for streaming is a good point though. These days is seems like everyone is streaming their games, whether there's anyone watching or not.

quote:

In other words. If you already have a decent OCing i5/i7 for gaming right now, there is no need to replace it for a ryzen system.
I'm still on a ivy bridge @ 3.2ghz (non-K), which is still adequate but getting a bit long in the tooth. So I was planning on doing something with a new build in 2017 anyways. It would warm my cold black heart to be back on AMD again -- I started putting together pcs with athlons back in the day.

But I'm definitely waiting for a full set of reviews before getting out my credit card. One thing I really want to know is idle power efficiency. I like a quiet pc, so if ryzen continues AMD's pattern of having 15 watts more power dissipation than intel when idling that will be unfortunate. That could be enough that you can't have fans spun down to inaudible levels.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

You're going to have to define outperform. Here's a thing done with old kaveri APUs:
https://www.nextplatform.com/2016/03/06/hybrid-compute-drives-energy-efficient-oil-reservoir-modeling/

quote:

With the explicit copy implemented on the APUs, the performance of the APU and the CPU-GPU hybrid are essentially the same when they have the same thermal constraints, but the APU setup costs $3,200 and the CPU-GPU hybrid costs $12,000.

If you can afford 4 times the hardware in your compute rigs for the same budget, lol.

Couple that with HBM cache and next to zero latency access to on-die GPU and poo poo suddenly starts to make a whole lot of sense. AMD struck gold, but not with ryzen. And let me stress again here how absolutely poo poo bulldozer arch is.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

eames posted:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_reveals_a_exascale_mega_apu_in_a_new_academic_paper/1

man they are really going for it :stare:
pretty much apple's wet dream for the rMBP too, picks up where Crystalwell left off and turns it up to 11.

my b-b-b-bonerrrrrrrrrrrrr :captainpop:

Real talk, though, the API/interposer dream coming true is something I would gladly give up a child for.

I don't have any children, so it would have to be someone else's.

eames
May 9, 2009

meanwhile over at amazon... safe to say that these are going to run fairly hot.

AMD YD170XBCAEWOF Ryzen 7 1700X Processor & Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Black Bundle
by AMD

Price: $495.99 & FREE Shipping. Details
This item will be released on March 2, 2017.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X6N8QGB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487711187&sr=8-1

1800X bundle is up too:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W5Q7B38/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487711885&sr=8-4&keywords=ryzen

confirms the leaked prices.

comedy option:

https://www.amazon.com/H-5000-Portable-Infrared-Quartz-Heater/dp/B00N516PX2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487711885&sr=8-3&keywords=ryzen

edit:
links are down but a guy on reddit found cached versions

1700x: http://archive.is/2017.02.21-212855/https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X6N8QGB
1800x: http://archive.is/2017.02.21-212937/https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W5Q7B38/

eames fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 21, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do you cool a huge stack of cores and memory like that? It must be putting out 1kW+

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Why do you think Fury needed water? Obviously something on that scale wasn't going to even remotely be feasible with any cooling solution until 14nm.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

eames posted:

The bundles or the processors? Aren't these 95w parts?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

eames posted:

AMD YD170XBCAEWOF Ryzen 7 1700X Processor & Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Black Bundle
by AMD

Price: $495.99 & FREE Shipping. Details
This item will be released on March 2, 2017.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X6N8QGB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487711187&sr=8-1

1800X bundle is up too:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W5Q7B38/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487711885&sr=8-4&keywords=ryzen

confirms the leaked prices.

comedy option:

https://www.amazon.com/H-5000-Portable-Infrared-Quartz-Heater/dp/B00N516PX2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487711885&sr=8-3&keywords=ryzen
The links are already dead... except for the space heater.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SourKraut posted:

95w doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how hot they typically run at either stock or overclocked.

eames
May 9, 2009

SourKraut posted:

the processors. it's all speculation but what we've heard so far the CPUs are very aggressively binned and barely scrape by their rated boost clocks with the (relatively beefy) stock coolers.
higher voltages don't seem to do much except make them run a lot hotter, so it makes sense that one would need water to get a 1800X over 4.0 on all cores. I'm also pretty sure that their XFR-auto-OC-feature ignores rated TDP and clocks to the temperature limit.
that bundle would confirm that.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

eames posted:

guy over at anandtech weighs in on overclocking and memory bandwidth.
Kind of what I expected, sounds like the lucky maximum will be 1800X @ 4.4 Ghz at >200W TDP on water. :tif:

Polaris exhibits similar behavior, the hotter it runs, the more you need to increase voltage for stability which increases heat output, etc, and they'll actually hit a frequency wall around 1.5Ghz on water and pouring more voltage into it does nothing. If that's true then I'm wrong and it's totally a thermal issue in which the lower core count Zens will in fact clock higher.

Also, on the bright side, if the poster isn't bullshitting Ryzen has a better IMC than Intel's chips do and will actually extract the maximum from a dual channel setup out of the box while with Intel you need to tweak it. Good news for RR/BK/SO, and it means AMD's octochannel Naples platform might be insane. Also in the thread is speculation on two APU's, now called NPU's (Next Processing Unit), with a small APU having a single CCX+10-12CUs, and a larger one with one CCX+16CUs and HBM2, with the larger being a target for workstation/server usage. It comes from Fottemburg, who has been suspiciously on point regarding Zen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

More Cinebench numbers, this time from AMDs own marketing materials. It's blurrycam but slides leaked by VCZ are pretty much always the real deal.

• Locked thread