Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Baloogan posted:

i really hope alex jones shows up in the next james bong

Goldflogger

there was an Alex Jones character in Arrival last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

GoblinEye

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

i need an update: has milo managed to salvage his career yet?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The reactive defenses of Milo are going to be the best part of all this. Because they're going to pretend he was just talking about being raped by a priest, and not the completely indefensible thing he's actually being grilled for.

A Pale Horse posted:

It's pretty funny that with all the horrible poo poo Milo has said and done his career is going to be mercifully killed for perhaps the most honest and least psychopathic thing he's said.

He's being career assassinated because he's advocating for more predation between older and younger men, not less. He's openly said before that gays shouldn't be able to marry, and they were better off going back into the closet. He could always try and claim he's just being a campy & outrageous "fag" there, but that's what his followers actually believe. That's why they carried him around on a palanquin.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's why they carried him around on a palanquin.

i wonder how these people are feeling

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

i wonder how these people are feeling

I hope they die of shame, but they're probably just gonna figure all gays are pedos and they should've known.

e:
https://twitter.com/TankieSinatra/status/833696671221551104

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 13:05 on Feb 21, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Man Musk posted:

please don't use 'retarded' as a pejorative

Please dont use retarded to describe mentally handicapped people.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Take a break from jacking off in the back seat of cabs for, like, a quarter of a loving hour to write some better zingers, Jim.

Anyways, this one's for you, Milo. Hating you as you made everything you touched with your presence in the mainstream worse could have been sweet, but it wasn't to be. Mourn ya til I journ ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLcp8Dm-ejU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I love people saying, but Lena Dunham!!!!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Dirk Pitt posted:

I love people saying, but Lena Dunham!!!!

Does anyone besides her parents and people who hate her actually pay attention to Lena Dunham anymore?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I like the "but Roman Polanski!" thing more because I don't think they realize that if Roman Polanski ever set foot on American soil again he would immediately be put in prison until he died.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

mysterious frankie posted:

Does anyone besides her parents and people who hate her actually pay attention to Lena Dunham anymore?

There's a subset of Hillary loyalists who think she is the feminist voice of a generation.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Man Musk posted:

please don't use 'retarded' as a pejorative

:agreed:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So what time is this "press conference"? And where can we watch it?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Bushiz posted:

There's a subset of Hillary loyalists who think she is the feminist voice of a generation.

Dunham for vice president. Make America executive produced by Judd Apatow again.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bushiz posted:

I'm not sure you can call seven people a "subset".

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
The CPAC guy who originally booked Milo is still defending him:

quote:

The chairman of the American Conservative Union, the group that hosts the annual Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), said that journalist and provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos had been disinvited from this year’s conference after resurfaced video of him speaking approvingly of pedophilia “broke through some very important boundaries.”

Matt Schlapp told MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” on Tuesday that while he had invited Yiannopoulos to address CPAC because he was “a big voice in our movement,” the recently resurfaced video had proven a controversy too far.

“We are OK with having controversy on the stage at CPAC. We don't endorse everything every speaker says at CPAC. As a matter of fact, since I've been chairman, we've tried to take the controversies, especially those amongst conservatives, and put them on our stage,” he said. “But there are boundaries. And over the weekend I was made aware of these comments and it just broke through very important boundaries, and we felt like the CPAC stage was not an appropriate place for this any longer.”

In video resurfaced over the weekend by a Twitter account called @ReaganBattalion, Milo is seen referencing the "arbitrary and oppressive idea of consent" and suggesting that relationships between 13-year-olds and adults could occur "perfectly consensually."

"Morning Joe" panelist Rick Tyler asked Schlapp about Yiannopoulos’ conservative credentials. “He seems like an opportunist,” he said. “So how did he get invited in the first place?”

Schlapp responded by referencing the press Yiannopoulos had received after a large protest against him at the University of California at Berkeley.

“I made the decision,” Schlapp said. “He came to see me. He wanted to give some remarks about his experience on campus, where he is often shut down. There was so much press around his attempt to speak at Berkeley. We think what happens with these speech codes and chilling of free speech on campus is un-American. It's wrong. And he's brave to stand up in those situations.”

Host Joe Scarborough brought up accusations that Yiannopoulos had made anti-Semitic statements in the past. He asked if there wasn't someone else to make the case against “PC” campus speech codes.

Again, Schlapp referenced Yiannopoulos’ large following.

“Joe, it's a fair point. But the other point is that, whether we like it or not, he is a big voice in this movement,” Schlapp said. “And we believe that our attendees can handle it and make their own judgments on whether or not they think a speaker is saying what is accurate or being inaccurate or being hateful. I don't want to shield that kind of conversation from our attendees. As a matter of fact, a lot of attendees want to have these controversies before them and make their own choices.”

He added later: “The fact is he's got a voice that a lot of young people listen to. I would rather have our attendees hear it and make their own judgments than me censor them.”

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DaveWoo posted:

The CPAC guy who originally booked Milo is still defending him:

Dude who was raped as a kid is messed up in the head. News at 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwLiU6YqeBs

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

quote:

“And we believe that our attendees can handle it and make their own judgments on whether or not they think a speaker is saying what is accurate or being inaccurate or being hateful. I don't want to shield that kind of conversation from our attendees. As a matter of fact, a lot of attendees want to have these controversies before them and make their own choices.”

:stare:

Consent? Teach the controversy.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:stare:

Consent? Teach the controversy.

Reminder that Rush Limbaugh went on a rant where he said "Liberals are fine with anything as long as you use the magic words 'I consent'"

it's like, uh, yeah?

They completely do not understand the concept of consent.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

the age of consent is just more tumblr sjw globalist cuckshit

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This Milo thing is a gift that keeps on giving. I mean, sure, I knew creeps and comedians (two lines that often overlap, admittedly) are going to rush to his side since their livelihoods apparently hinge on the ability to soft pitch whatever dumb edgy poo poo tumbles out of their wet, swollen brains at a drunken audience, because Lenny Bruce. No surprises there. What's neat is the number of "respectable" people on the right who are outing themselves as down to clown with pro pederasty chat, either because they genuinely hold zealous beliefs in libertarian grade free speech that force them into that position, or because the hive mind mentality that has helped the right\republicans maintain control causes them to defend one of their own involuntarily. As the slimy alt right people keep dragging themselves out of the internet and into the mainstream it's just going to keep happening too. The mechanisms they've built into their platform that have served them well against the much more contentious left are gonna screw them hard so long as they keep allowing in alt right influences, and pushing away the alt right is going to cause them to wither away as their demos get older and deader. It's cool.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

zegermans posted:

Reminder that Rush Limbaugh went on a rant where he said "Liberals are fine with anything as long as you use the magic words 'I consent'"

it's like, uh, yeah?

Lack of consent is how they run every other part of their lives. Blatant kinkshaming itt.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

zegermans posted:

it's like, uh, yeah?

it rules bc that's such a matter of fact description. of course that's what liberals think. that's literally what "liberalism" is, the belief that people should be able to do what they want as long as they aren't stepping on somebody else's rights.

it's actually amazing to try and imagine being a person who thinks consensual anal sex is equitable to rape or w/e

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

wizard on a water slide posted:

it rules bc that's such a matter of fact description. of course that's what liberals think. that's literally what "liberalism" is, the belief that people should be able to do what they want as long as they aren't stepping on somebody else's rights.

it's actually amazing to try and imagine being a person who thinks consensual anal sex is equitable to rape or w/e

I thought liberalism was just being open to different ideas and some level of tolerance for ideas that you disagree with (which is why there are liberals on the right and left)?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

I thought liberalism was just being open to different ideas and some level of tolerance for ideas that you disagree with (which is why there are liberals on the right and left)?

Liberalism the word has no meaning and hasn't had one for a very long time.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The American Right is liberal as Hell. Especially because guys like Rush understand consent perfectly, they just understand it as a commodity they trade for rather than a social que. You see it all the time the way alt righters talk about women not being worthy marriage material, because it'd be a waste of resources. These are the guys who think buying someone dinner entitles them to sex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ia-OQThno

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

I'm confused by why you think we disagree.

what is tolerance if not "doing what you want and in turn allowing others to do what they want"?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Bushiz posted:

I like the "but Roman Polanski!" thing more because I don't think they realize that if Roman Polanski ever set foot on American soil again he would immediately be put in prison until he died.

Well that's because Polanski drugged and raped a 13 year old. The situations are completely not analogous or comparable. The Dunham situation isn't even that comparable because she actually did molest her sister while Milo was the one being molested, he just saw nothing wrong with it.

Honestly, thinking about it more I think its one of two things. Less likely I think this is just in line with Milo's unrequited love affair with with Catholic church. Before he was the alt-right provocateur poster boy he was a shy, recalcitrant journalist for a Catholic newspaper who went on news and panel shows in the UK to regurgitate and defend the Catholic position on social issues including being against gay marriage. In this case its a sort of stockholm syndrome where he's convinced himself that since it was done to him by a priest, it can't really be bad because the priest is the church and the church is good. I now live in a 98% Catholic country and I see this mentality all the time where whole parishes show up to priest's trials for sexual abuse and defend the priest, singing religious hymns and praying outside the courtroom, blaming the victims and calling for the immediate release of the priest despite overwhelming evidence against them.

The second and more likely in my opinion thing going on here is that Milo actually believes what he said because of his perception of his experience. My experience as a teen with a man was just a hook up but I can imagine "falling in love" with your abuser if its an ongoing relationship. When you're completely in the closet and additionally self-loathing (because of MIlo's faith) finding someone who knows the real you, not the mask you put on every day to try to pass, but the real honest to God you, it can feel amazing. I don't think non-queer people can really relate to this, but letting someone in on what you consider your darkest secret and having them validate you can seem like a miracle and I can easily imagine fixating on that person and letting them take advantage of you. Its sad in a way. Its why I think sexually repressive societies are actually a boon to pedophiles and rapists and other predators while sexually permissive ones make those things more difficult.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

wizard on a water slide posted:

I'm confused by why you think we disagree.

what is tolerance if not "doing what you want and in turn allowing others to do what they want"?

Yeah, I worded that wrong. We agree.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

A Pale Horse posted:

The Dunham situation isn't even that comparable because she actually did molest her sister while Milo was the one being molested, he just saw nothing wrong with it.

it should probably noted, repeatedly, forever that lena dunham was seven years old when the thing she described happened

not because she's like SO AWESOME or w/e, but because people who compare her to an adult sexual predator who attacks children are either deliberately making a disingenuous comparison or themselves have brain damage related to things like sex and morality if they don't understand there's a huge difference

Baku has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Feb 21, 2017

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

spacetoaster posted:

Liberalism is the belief that humans are afforded the natural rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (originally the right of property), the difference between conservative liberals (classic liberals aka Republicans) and progressive liberals (Democrats) is how they define those things and the govs relation to helping provide/ensure those things.

At least in theory.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/canongatebooks/status/833970684078485504
https://twitter.com/canongatebooks/status/833987780342644736

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

it is with mixed feelings that i announce i will be publishing Milo's book Dangerous with an initial run of 13 copies, order yours today or dont

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

it is with mixed feelings that i announce i will be publishing Milo's book Dangerous with an initial run of 13 copies, order yours today or dont

whereas i have landed the pisswolf, and in comparison i feel very good about it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im announcing my publication of richard spencer's new book, "my home address and phone number, several head and full body photos to help you recognize me, and some recommended places on my face and body to punch"

he wanted a different title and a different edit, but as the publishers we have the final say

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

It's getting published under a new name\nom de plume: If I Did It (With Kids) by M.Y. Touchson.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
did he do his media presser yet?

A Pale Horse posted:

Well that's because Polanski drugged and raped a 13 year old. The situations are completely not analogous or comparable. The Dunham situation isn't even that comparable because she actually did molest her sister while Milo was the one being molested, he just saw nothing wrong with it.

Honestly, thinking about it more I think its one of two things. Less likely I think this is just in line with Milo's unrequited love affair with with Catholic church. Before he was the alt-right provocateur poster boy he was a shy, recalcitrant journalist for a Catholic newspaper who went on news and panel shows in the UK to regurgitate and defend the Catholic position on social issues including being against gay marriage. In this case its a sort of stockholm syndrome where he's convinced himself that since it was done to him by a priest, it can't really be bad because the priest is the church and the church is good. I now live in a 98% Catholic country and I see this mentality all the time where whole parishes show up to priest's trials for sexual abuse and defend the priest, singing religious hymns and praying outside the courtroom, blaming the victims and calling for the immediate release of the priest despite overwhelming evidence against them.

The second and more likely in my opinion thing going on here is that Milo actually believes what he said because of his perception of his experience. My experience as a teen with a man was just a hook up but I can imagine "falling in love" with your abuser if its an ongoing relationship. When you're completely in the closet and additionally self-loathing (because of MIlo's faith) finding someone who knows the real you, not the mask you put on every day to try to pass, but the real honest to God you, it can feel amazing. I don't think non-queer people can really relate to this, but letting someone in on what you consider your darkest secret and having them validate you can seem like a miracle and I can easily imagine fixating on that person and letting them take advantage of you. Its sad in a way. Its why I think sexually repressive societies are actually a boon to pedophiles and rapists and other predators while sexually permissive ones make those things more difficult.

thats probaly right. it also explains why he is so terrible at being edgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

tbh i dont give a hot gay gently caress what broke milo's brain or what congress thinks, im just sort of glad that the #nevertrump boomers and bowtie college republicans have apparently not been trumpsimilated yet and are still mounting rearguard (hehhhhhhhhh) actions against the alt-right