Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tae posted:

The problem with the blazers cap is that they have multiple bad contracts, not just turner. They still need to get rid of leonard and crabbe if they want their cap room back.

On The Ringer NBA Show they pretty much went through all possible contenders for Boogie and I think only a couple teams really lined up as far as fit for the team (so not Orlando who'd be a repeat of The Kings for Boogie) and had the contracts to swap to make it work. Naturally, the Celtics "worked" because Bill Simmons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

tadashi posted:

On The Ringer NBA Show they pretty much went through all possible contenders for Boogie and I think only a couple teams really lined up as far as fit for the team (so not Orlando who'd be a repeat of The Kings for Boogie) and had the contracts to swap to make it work. Naturally, the Celtics "worked" because Bill Simmons.

I'm not a particular fan or anything of Boston but I think DMC would have been amazing in Boston. I'm a big fan of Horford as a 3rd option, I think their perimeter defense would help quite a bit, and I think Boogie will be a far more reliable offensive threat than IT in the playoffs against tougher defense and better schemes. If I were Ainge I would have done everything I could to land him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think imho that Boston would rather have Butler or George. I can kind of see that as well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

I think imho that Boston would rather have Butler or George. I can kind of see that as well.

I think they'd have a problem scoring. I think IT will be more of a liability in the playoffs than people realize and I don't think Horford can shoulder a huge scoring load. Butler or George can't really be a focus for your offense like DMC can. PG might be able to, I guess. And looking at their roster, I don't think they will be able to bring in two max guys.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

I think they'd have a problem scoring. I think IT will be more of a liability in the playoffs than people realize and I don't think Horford can shoulder a huge scoring load. Butler or George can't really be a focus for your offense like DMC can. PG might be able to, I guess. And looking at their roster, I don't think they will be able to bring in two max guys.

Uh. Butler has been a focus on the Bulls offense for a while now. And has been pretty good at doing it. His Defense has taken a hit though. That would be better if there was another decent offensive option.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Did you think wade was running the show or something?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
*averages 25 ppg, is unable to be focal point of offense*

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

Uh. Butler has been a focus on the Bulls offense for a while now. And has been pretty good at doing it. His Defense has taken a hit though. That would be better if there was another decent offensive option.

Dwyane Wade has a higher usage, and the Bulls offense is 18th in the league. The year before they were 23rd (though Rose was probably to blame for that). If you really want to contend for a title I think your offense needs to be built around a better offensive player than Jimmy Butler. Butler can be a huge piece in a contending team, but your offense needs more. I also don't think IT can do that in the playoffs, but that is more of a guess.

Dexo posted:

*averages 25 ppg, is unable to be focal point of offense*

That would be interesting if butler was averaging 25 points a game and not 20.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Lockback posted:

That would be interesting if butler was averaging 25 points a game and not 20.

Hahaha bruh....he's averaging 24.5

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The kings are 17th in offense this year though, how does that prove cousins and disprove butler

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jota posted:

Hahaha bruh....he's averaging 24.5

Whoops, you're right, for some reason I was looking at last years. I'm not saying he's not really good, the dude is a superstar. But an offense of Butler/IT/Horford, to me, is not quite an NBA Finals team. Cousins/IT/Horford is a much better scoring team. Cousins has even hit 2x as many 3s as Jimmy this year. I'm surprised "Cousins is a better offensive option than Jimmy Butler" is so controversial.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

Dwyane Wade has a higher usage, and the Bulls offense is 18th in the league. The year before they were 23rd (though Rose was probably to blame for that). If you really want to contend for a title I think your offense needs to be built around a better offensive player than Jimmy Butler. Butler can be a huge piece in a contending team, but your offense needs more. I also don't think IT can do that in the playoffs, but that is more of a guess.

Hey, who would you say is the focal point of the Cavaliers offense?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
It's been proven that Getting It Done in the Playoffs is a matter of how much Hate you have in your Heart and has nothing to do with the size of the dog in the fight, but rather the size of the fight in the dog.

This is how we knew Draymond Green was going to be great, Steph Curry was weak, KD doesn't have it and IT should be fine come post-season. Westbrook puts on a front but he may be too kind-hearted to win big. Giannis is going to be spectacular.

Anyhow in the near future I'd almost place bets on somebody at least trying to Bynum-Barea IT at the end of a series when he embarrasses them

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d12YVBOrP00

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Boogie also helps Boston's biggest issue of getting murdered on the boards, in a way that PG and Jimmy don't.

I'm genuinely surprised they didn't make a very serious push at him

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Boogie to Boston started not making as much sense when they signed Horford. They play the same position (unlike Davis, who is more effective as a PF) and there is historical evidence that the bets player on the celtics doesn't like playing with Boogie.

I'd still have tried but its not as clear as day it looks at a quick glance.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I always thought of Horford as a 4 tbh...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

tarbrush posted:

I mean, he's played the 5 outside of very specific match-ups for his entire career. At some point, he's just a C

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

tarbrush posted:

I mean, 4 years ago he should have been playing the 4 but the dude is on the wrong side of 30 and big. He's a center now.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Maybe Isaiah Thomas just told Boston brass he didn't want to play with Cousins again?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Boogie to Boston started not making as much sense when they signed Horford. They play the same position (unlike Davis, who is more effective as a PF) and there is historical evidence that the bets player on the celtics doesn't like playing with Boogie.

I'd still have tried but its not as clear as day it looks at a quick glance.

Isaiah played well with DMC, he just didn't like playing for the Kings organization. And Horford and DMC both can operate outside or inside the paint, even all the way out to the perimeter. They wouldn't get in each other's way too much, and Horford could guard pretty much any PF the Celtics would see in the playoffs. He's always played well against Love.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

roundmidnight posted:

Maybe Isaiah Thomas just told Boston brass he didn't want to play with Cousins again?

IT made fun of the trade saying Sacramento got ripped off. He also said this at the beginning of the season:

quote:

He has the perfect player to keep him in line: Isaiah Thomas, the Celtics' All-Star point guard and former Cousins teammate.

"If he came to Boston, that would be good, really good," Thomas told Sporting News last week, walking near the Barclays Center court in Brooklyn after the Celtics’ preseason win over the Nets. "The thing is, I’ve got his respect. I’ve always had that."

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

IT and Cousins got along very well in Sacramento. Sam Amick is the only one who hinted that there may have been some friction. He's usually really drat good about this (reported on the tough rookie year Stauskas had like 2 years before Lowe talked about Cousins making him cry), but he's literally the only plugged in person who mentioned it and it didn't jive with a bunch of other stuff we've seen.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Interesting! I vaguely remember some mild passive-aggressive shots one way or the other when Thomas left but maybe that was overblown.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

roundmidnight posted:

Interesting! I vaguely remember some mild passive-aggressive shots one way or the other when Thomas left but maybe that was overblown.

Cousins half-heartedly parroted out some company line about passing and ball movement in the first training camp without Isaiah. Other than that I'm not sure of any other statements.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

Isaiah played well with DMC, he just didn't like playing for the Kings organization. And Horford and DMC both can operate outside or inside the paint, even all the way out to the perimeter. They wouldn't get in each other's way too much, and Horford could guard pretty much any PF the Celtics would see in the playoffs. He's always played well against Love.

This year really isn't the issue with Horford, it's the fact that there is next year. And then two years after that. Having two dudes that should really kind of guard centers is not a way to win in 2017. It would be way too easy to force of them to get off the floor, which is not something you want 2 of your best 3 players to do.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Maybe... could it be possible... that other GMs talk (to Lowe, Windhorst, etc) about Boogie being a Big Bad Meanie because they want to drive his price down?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

OzFactor posted:

Maybe... could it be possible... that other GMs talk (to Lowe, Windhorst, etc) about Boogie being a Big Bad Meanie because they want to drive his price down?

That's been my take on it. And hey it turns out it worked.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Just FYI, Vlade isn't 100% incompetent just 99%. The "better offer" was pulled before they could decide on it, according to him.

Why the gently caress do you even bring it up though

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spoeank posted:

Just FYI, Vlade isn't 100% incompetent just 99%. The "better offer" was pulled before they could decide on it, according to him.

Why the gently caress do you even bring it up though

He was trying to defend trading early as opposed to waiting for more offers closer to the deadline with "the deals we're getting offered are worse than before"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mean there is more than enough evidence that Vlade's hands as GM are completely tied by an overreaching owner but doesn't mean that Vlade is not a complete trash GM.

He literally made one of the worst trades in NBA history because he didn't know the CBA. Dude must really need the money, because if I were him I would have straight up announced my resignation at that press conference.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

this is GETTIN ME PISSED all over again

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Brolander posted:

this is GETTIN ME PISSED all over again

The second grossest thing an laker has done this century.

number 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scqitXx-bkE

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
what if james had died, just crumpled on the spot? i would never have got to give him a funny nickname. too tragic to think about really

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

He was trying to defend trading early as opposed to waiting for more offers closer to the deadline with "the deals we're getting offered are worse than before"

Alan: Josh is looking for a fifteen percent raise, a two pic guarantee from Universal and time off for every Jewish holiday, no matter how ridiculous.
Josh: I mean, Yaznacht is coming up.
Liz: That seems pretty reasonable, right Jack?
Jack: Here’s my counter-offer. [Digs into pants pocket] One dollar. [Sets dollar on table]
Alan: What?
Liz: Oh boy.
Alan: That’s absurd.
Jack: You know what’s absurd? These photos I found of Josh rough-housing with Lance Bass at Sea World.
Josh: What? We were just being silly.
Jack: My offer is now seventy-five cents. Tick tock, tick tock tick tock…
Josh: It keeps getting lower. I think we should take it.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Intruder posted:

Boogie agreed to come back as a FA and Vlade is a genius

ah, the Dan Gilbert Method

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

This was so hateful

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

That was kinda the beginning of the end of the Lakers as champion contenders, though.

Also, best loving year ever.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/PelicansNBA/status/834183591592595462

This is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

And Barea made the shot :cool:

• Locked thread