Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

this was an amazing map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

:eyepop:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I legit thought this was a quake map at first glance. Amazing work.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Tough map but drat, it is really good.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I legit thought this was a quake map at first glance. Amazing work.

:same:

the link posted:

It looks and plays best in a port with mouselook and monster-over-monster; there are likely to be traffic jams in ports with infinite-height monsters.

What's the deal with monster-over-monster (a term I never heard of before) - does this mean cacodemons should be able to float over the top of monsters down on the ground or something?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Buttcoin purse posted:

:same:

What's the deal with monster-over-monster (a term I never heard of before) - does this mean cacodemons should be able to float over the top of monsters down on the ground or something?

In the original executables, no object can pass directly over another object which isn't a pickup. Most source ports remove this limitation, so a caco can float over a horde of monsters or whatever, instead of being blocked no matter how high up it is.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Just to follow up on the Quake/RainbowSix suggestion I made a few days ago itt...

I recently found a site shows you where everybody is playing in Quake Live. A sort of server browser thing. It's really good and I've been having a blast on this Freeze Tag thing for the past few days. I forgot how much fun Freeze Tag is. There's actually a solid few communities out there and the game's population has been stable for the past 4 years.

Here's the link, which I want to post here because I'd been playing Quake Live on and off for a long time and never knew there was a better server browser than the crappy one in the game for me: https://ql.syncore.org/

Lastly, if you're down for getting together some night, add 34844841 on Gaben's special game service.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 20, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

In the original executables, no object can pass directly over another object which isn't a pickup. Most source ports remove this limitation, so a caco can float over a horde of monsters or whatever, instead of being blocked no matter how high up it is.

Additionally, this includes Doomguy himself. If there's a hundred demons waiting for you below a cliff, good luck jumping off. Likewise, have fun trying to run anywhere in rooms with dozens of cacos, pain elementals, and lost souls floating around.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It's like everyone was an invisible, infinitely tall cylinder, fighting with each other.

:black101:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

mystic pimp posted:

I'd play all of those games but we should play Q3A instead of Quake Live because the old announcer is better.

You can change it back to the old one here, actually (just learned this a bit ago):

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

fishmech posted:

In the original executables, no object can pass directly over another object which isn't a pickup.

Projectiles specifically can, which is the reason you can fire rockets over a ledge without them exploding in midair 80% of the time.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Projectiles specifically can, which is the reason you can fire rockets over a ledge without them exploding in midair 80% of the time.

Yet the splash damage for the rockets acted as an infinitely tall cylinder.

What a wild engine.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Douk Douk posted:

Yet the splash damage for the rockets acted as an infinitely tall cylinder.

You mean infinitely tall square. https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Blast_damage
There isn't actually anything in Doom's physics that uses circles. It was all very simple bounds calculations, even collisions with other objects. Efficient yet kinda odd.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Rocket Pan posted:

You mean infinitely tall square. https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Blast_damage
There isn't actually anything in Doom's physics that uses circles. It was all very simple bounds calculations, even collisions with other objects. Efficient yet kinda odd.

Wouldn't an infinitely tall square be a rectangle or is this maths :psyboom:

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

It would be a square prism.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Probably just me thinking too much about how the engine works technically rather than physically/visually.
While it is technically a 3D game, Doom doesn't have any normal 3D vector operations, the X & Y operations are independent of Z. So when collisions are done, it will test a square collision, and then only tests height if it feels it's necessary (projectiles and level movement). So there's no rectangle so much as it's two independently functioning planes. Hit scans are a weird partial exception where it'll test a 2D line and then track heights when checking intercepts, granted the blockmap (the table in engine used to track which objects could likely collide with others) is 2D so it kind of makes sense to do that first.

The end result is an infinite rectangle, so I suppose that is the easy answer. :v:

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 20, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

It's a square (so, a 2D shape) which is projected infinitely in the third axis. So it's a hexahedron with two square faces and four infinitely-long rectangular faces.

So your answer is that an infinitely tall square is four rectangles (and two squares).

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I tripped over this on an image search. It's from here.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Welp, we've seen various stuff running Doom, but this time is a loving car of all things. :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRMpNA86e8Q

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
loving lol those videos. It's a joke.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Guillermus posted:

Welp, we've seen various stuff running Doom, but this time is a loving car of all things. :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRMpNA86e8Q

Why is there a toaster in his passenger seat? :stare:

Also, wtf the end of the video. :stonk:

Is this a joke?

Yodzilla posted:

That's a relief!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mogomra posted:

Why is there a toaster in his passenger seat? :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI7tWd7B3iI

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yodzilla posted:

I remember this guy

https://youtu.be/vI7tWd7B3iI?t=3m54s

Fak beaten

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm v glad having seen an old doom disc being loaded into a Porsche

Wonder if you did that if it'd play the soundtrack

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

verbal enema posted:

I'm v glad having seen an old doom disc being loaded into a Porsche

Wonder if you did that if it'd play the soundtrack

No, it doesn't have CD audio.

You could do it with 3DO Doom maybe, I think that stored some of the music as normal cd tracks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think there's a decent chance that you actually could get Doom working on a car stereo head. A lot of them run Android nowadays, you might even manage it without a lot of loving around.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Casimir Radon posted:

I think there's a decent chance that you actually could get Doom working on a car stereo head. A lot of them run Android nowadays, you might even manage it without a lot of loving around.

If you decide to ignore Kinsie's advice send pictures though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Keiya posted:

If you decide to ignore Kinsie's advice send pictures though.
I did find a bunch of topics online about playing DVDs on the front screen without the ebrake being engaged :getin:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
eSports broadcaster FACEIT has announced a games industry 1v1 QuakeWorld tournament that it'll be streaming from the DICE summit on Wednesday and Thursday, where you can watch Feargus Urquhart, Randy Pitchford, Tim Willits, Jeff Kaplan and others desperately rack their brains to try and remember where the Rocket Launcher is first.

The Opening Matches, via PC Gamer:

quote:

Sean Dunn (Sparkypants) vs. Shekhar Dhupelia (Wargaming)
Feargus Urquhart (Obsidian Entertainment) vs. Patrick Hudson (Robot Entertainment)
Randy Pitchford (Gearbox Software) vs. Leo Olebe (Facebook)
Ted Price (Insomniac Games) vs. David Wood (Bandai Namco)
Min Kim (Bonfire Studios) vs. Sheloman Byrd (Tencent)
Kate Edwards (IGDA) vs. Tim Willits (id Software)
Niccolo Maisto (FaceIt) vs. Matt Firor (ZeniMax Online)
Jeffrey Kaplan (Blizzard) vs. Steve Ellmore (Disbelief)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Talk about playing doom everywhere but I think the future is near...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCQFMr4Wwb0

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Finally caved in and decided to play the brutal doom starter pack. I gotta say the maps are actually pretty well made so far and everything just plays great.

I guess I can see why this thing ended up being so popular with its own dedicated fanbase since people have added shitloads of addons and even branched out into project brutality.

Also it's nice that the pack come with two different player modes for old fashioned and more modern type of loadouts.

It'd be great if something like this is done for more gameplay mods like demonsteele.

Also, been playing Terminus13's Nocturne in Yellow gloom game. Hella fun and challenging. I'm getting inspired to do some game play programming playing these wads and games so far.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Demonsteele works great with Brutal Doom, also.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Also finished Remero's E1 remakes and I gotta say they're good. Sure, for those with PTSD from Daikatana might get flashbacks of E1 and E4 of that game, but I still thought it was a pretty good chllenge and not that hard on UV.

I would highly recommend it to anyone who didn't play it when it first came out.

Gunman Taco Truck is pretty fun and cute and remero's constantly updating that.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
I think most people's dislike Brutal Doom because of the creator or they do not want to appear to be the uncultured Doom player but sadly it is really good.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Does Sgt Mark have a day job? I see he's got a Patreon but he's only pulling down $132 a month.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The only bad things about Brutal Doom are the typical fans and the creator :shepface:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Are the Heretic/Hexen games worth playing? I don't see them brought up that much, but I've thought about giving them a shot. I've heard some bad things about the Hexen games, and Heretic II doesn't seem to be available on Steam.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
^^^Heretic is a pretty fun game. If you liked Doom I would give it a try, it's basically corny fantasy Doom with a simple inventory system bolted on. Hexen builds on this to add class system and hub-based, puzzle-heavy map design, you'll either love it or hate it (personally I can't stand it). Hexen 2 is basically corny fantasy Quake with a dash of Daikatana, it's not very good but I enjoyed it more than the first game. Heretic 2 I've never played and iirc technically isn't an fps

I do not like Brutal Doom and thus do not play it

skasion fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 22, 2017

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

Are the Heretic/Hexen games worth playing? I don't see them brought up that much, but I've thought about giving them a shot. I've heard some bad things about the Hexen games, and Heretic II doesn't seem to be available on Steam.

Heretic is worth a whirl. I never could bring myself to finish Hexen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Max Wilco posted:

Hexen is quite a bit more fun these days, when you can easily have a basic guide at hand to let you know what that switch you just hit actually did.