Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Nate RFB posted:

I'm fairly certain I was never able to do this as a child without cheating, but for whatever reason I decided today would be the day I'd beat SMB1 on the NES via the XRGB. I think it was specifically always that final lone Hammer Bros. in 8-4 that would do me in but here I just made a mad dash and somehow threaded the needle just right. I'd like to think that having been exposed to so much BS in Mario Maker helped prepare me but to be honest the original game controls so differently I don't think it really mattered.

Related: I recently played through the original FDS SMB2j for the first time. I first played it on SMB Deluxe for GBC but that didn't have any of the bonus worlds. I did later manage to clear them on Super Mario All Stars. But I was curious to play the original version and see what the (minor) sprite and tile differences were between it and SMB1.

Then, I discovered that instead of just being a straight shot through worlds 8, 9, then A-D like in All Stars; you have to clear every level to unlock world 9 (which repeats forever until you die). Then you have to beat 8-4 eight times to unlock A-D. In addition to it being a quick "remix" they really stretched it out. Probably not news to anyone reading this thread but I didn't know that tidbit.

Of course I did unlock them, while getting good at zipping to warp zones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

I'm pretty sure someone in this thread did an edit set to Sound of Silence or something. It was super depressing.

There were several RPG Makers for consoles and even handhelds but I can't believe "Amiga Platformer Maker" wasn't a thing.

Or was it?

Think it was this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wDVCzuwlVk

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Help me find my girlfriend
Help me find the watering caaaans

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Nate RFB posted:

I'm fairly certain I was never able to do this as a child without cheating, but for whatever reason I decided today would be the day I'd beat SMB1 on the NES via the XRGB. I think it was specifically always that final lone Hammer Bros. in 8-4 that would do me in but here I just made a mad dash and somehow threaded the needle just right. I'd like to think that having been exposed to so much BS in Mario Maker helped prepare me but to be honest the original game controls so differently I don't think it really mattered.

I always had to get to 8-3 with fire to beat the game. I'd just shoot the hammer bro in 8-4 and run through bowser.
I coulld do it fast, but I always choke as little mario.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Milkman posted:

Related: I recently played through the original FDS SMB2j for the first time. I first played it on SMB Deluxe for GBC but that didn't have any of the bonus worlds. I did later manage to clear them on Super Mario All Stars. But I was curious to play the original version and see what the (minor) sprite and tile differences were between it and SMB1.

Then, I discovered that instead of just being a straight shot through worlds 8, 9, then A-D like in All Stars; you have to clear every level to unlock world 9 (which repeats forever until you die). Then you have to beat 8-4 eight times to unlock A-D. In addition to it being a quick "remix" they really stretched it out. Probably not news to anyone reading this thread but I didn't know that tidbit.

Of course I did unlock them, while getting good at zipping to warp zones

Interestingly, there's a minor difference between the two versions; in the SNES release, you must not take any warps to make it to World 9 -- any warp would be an instant fail. In the FDS version, you had to clear every castle. So even if you used a warp, as long as you still got all 8, you could go to World 9. (This was doable with some of the reverse warps.)

World 9 does repeat forever, but you can actually gain extra lives (it only ends when you "game over"). When I was playing it on the FDS many years ago I had like 5 or so lives after a handful of loops before I got bored and started killing Marios.

(The special introductory text you get for World 9 is still in the SNES version, but it isn't shown.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

There were several RPG Makers for consoles and even handhelds but I can't believe "Amiga Platformer Maker" wasn't a thing.

Or was it?

The first "platformer maker for people who just want to fiddle" package that I can think of dates to about 1991, though I wouldn't be shocked if someone made one earlier. I'd expect that to be the kind of thing to get ported to the Amiga...

And now I'm thinking about The Adventure Construction Set. A cursory search did not find an archive of ACS games and now I am disappointed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

al-azad posted:

I'm pretty sure someone in this thread did an edit set to Sound of Silence or something. It was super depressing.

Or was it?

The Amiga architecture was pretty much perfect for cranking out lovely platformers, due to the way the video hardware worked.

Not to forget that the popular-in-Britain 8 bit computers were also full of garbage platform games.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

al-azad posted:

Or was it?

I don't think AMOS counts as a platform maker and SEUCK was for Shmups (and people still make games with it!),

But a lot of the Euro stuff being bad or really rough was their short dev times, 1 button controllers, and at least in the 80s having their primary system being a 48k machine that didn't really do multicolored sprites. Or even single colored sprite moving over a multicolored backround. With tape loads. At pal frame rates.

So a lot of their stuff wasn't pro quality. They had a looooooot of LJN and Bandai and Takara and Acclaim level crap but it was like 5-20 bucks instead of 50 - 60 dollars. Which meant a lot less pain when you ended up with a Mystery of Convoy or Spelunker or SMS Rocky. Plus they had demo tapes and cheap compilations. And piracy. If we were lucky here in the US we only wasted 4 bucks and a weekend game rental. Most of the time we were hosed for 3 months or more before the next game. Hope you liked Chubby Cherub or Muscle! :doom:

The sad bit is a lot of the Euro games would be decent with merely a multibutton controller, a little more polish, and not trying to make Battletoads look fair and easy in comparison.

PEEKs and POKEs and magazine maps could only help games so much. Yet the Euro retro folks actually think us Yanks are pussies who just can't handle hard games. Like they do NES Contra hard but no continues at all and just lol for the Konami code. :psyduck:

(I'm actually playing a Spectrum game right now called Rex. About a Space Rhino mercenary killing humans. It is full of bullshit which ruins an interesting game. Even on an emulator where I can map keyboard stuff to the FC30 and Save States it is a loving bastard. Not NES Spelunker level with its fuckass jumping off ropes mechanics but it is still douchey. And not GOOD douchey like Bloodborne or Arcade Archives Terra Cresta. )

A lot of the Euro games just need a little love but the UK folks think the bullshit was mostly fine, and everyone else doesn't give a toss so even remakes remain dickheady like the Manic Miner remake.

To be fair SPACE CRUSADE just isn't a personal favorite Amiga game but a favorite game period. But I don't think a boardgame conversion counts here.. A bit easier to do right than make a good 1 button platformer or fighting game. (Apidya and Agony prove Europe could do a legit SHMUP though. And Sensible Soccer and Cannon Fodder are fine fine games. As is Populous in spite of Petey M making Trump look like an honest no bullshit man...)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Most of the bad British platformer stuff comes from trying to make a single screen-style platformer last for months and also be made entirely by one person in a week in their bedroom.

Rare in particular has said that all of their games are as difficult or obtuse as they are entirely so that you can buy it and get your money's worth.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did someone say Alfred the Chicken!?

So... who else immediately heard this in their heads when they read this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdr38Z-FdCY

Edit: This is my first exposure to that phone message. What the gently caress :psyduck:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah since so much of the UK gaming scene was games by just one guy, or maybe two, they practiced the sloppiest form of difficulty balancing: since you as the maker did everything else, you're also the sole tester! And he'll, you can beat the game, so anyone should, right?

Even games that had a whole team on one system would tend to get ports made to the other systems, all goddamned 8 of them at a time, by single dudes working alone from the original system. And though the original system would have proper difficulty checks, the port, often with much different game play etc due to radically different hardware, would be barely tested, and often completely unplayable.

Oddly, American homebrew/small developer software of the time on American popular systems (trash 80, apple II, c64, Atari 8 bit, dos) rarely had the sheer bugginess, lack of balance and sheer dickhead difficulty of the British games. Perhaps the Americans just had more pride in their work, or perhaps the quicker shift to disks made it easier to ensure things were done right?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the best method for playing backups on a Saturn these days? I know there is that loader that got mentioned last year, but that still a pipe dream. I see mentions of both a flashed action replay and replacing the disc drive with a loader. But both seem to have cons, as the former kills the action replay off from it normal useful abilities, which probably means you need to buy a second one, plus having to buy CD-R again in the year 2017. Where the later takes apart the Saturn and requires soldering which I try to avoid at all cost.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

fishmech posted:

Yeah since so much of the UK gaming scene was games by just one guy, or maybe two, they practiced the sloppiest form of difficulty balancing: since you as the maker did everything else, you're also the sole tester! And he'll, you can beat the game, so anyone should, right?

Even games that had a whole team on one system would tend to get ports made to the other systems, all goddamned 8 of them at a time, by single dudes working alone from the original system. And though the original system would have proper difficulty checks, the port, often with much different game play etc due to radically different hardware, would be barely tested, and often completely unplayable.

Oddly, American homebrew/small developer software of the time on American popular systems (trash 80, apple II, c64, Atari 8 bit, dos) rarely had the sheer bugginess, lack of balance and sheer dickhead difficulty of the British games. Perhaps the Americans just had more pride in their work, or perhaps the quicker shift to disks made it easier to ensure things were done right?

Oh American devs had their hate boners too. Sierra games in general were douchey bullshit designed to gently caress you in the rear end repeatedly. Because much like those Brit game claims, DURR NOT GETTING ANYWHERE FOR WEEKS IS YOUR MONEY'S WORTH.

As opposed to reality in which it was unfun bullshit for all but a tiny handful of people. Except there were no Cheevos back then to see how few people actually finished your game or how long they played it before giving the gently caress up. (And no Scorpia, Boggit, or Shay Addams to guide you through in many many cases unless you both bought the mags they were in and got the issue that could actually help you figure out Roberta Williams' shitass game puzzles.)

And we should never forget Wizardry which was abusive but somewhat cheat able with an extra save disk. And then they decided to make one of the hardest games out there, a veritable digital hatefuck: WIZARDRY THE RETURN OF WERDNA.

Ff7 Weapons? Hoshigami? Working Design balance bugs? Ironman modes in Win9x Interplay RPGs? They ain't got poo poo on Werdna. A game so hard even then the thing didn't really include a manual because if you didn't at least beat the first game which had the manual you were doubly hosed. Hell, you kind of needed to know this first game intimately to even get out of the first ROOM.

But again, the Euro bullshit kiiiinda had some semi legitimate excuses for a lot of it. In spite of basically having armies of ET Atari 2600 situation games. I'm not sure what NES Ninja Gaiden's were other than gently caress YOU LOVE THE RESPAWNING ENEMIES AND REPLAY LEVEL 6 LIKE THE DIRTY BITCHES YOU ALL ARE. (Also see final 2 levels of Castlevania. Evil rear end bosses and abusive levels.)

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
What should I expect to pay for a BVM-D20F1U? Is a ~$600 price range alright, assuming no major picture flaws?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Rirse posted:

What the best method for playing backups on a Saturn these days? I know there is that loader that got mentioned last year, but that still a pipe dream. I see mentions of both a flashed action replay and replacing the disc drive with a loader. But both seem to have cons, as the former kills the action replay off from it normal useful abilities, which probably means you need to buy a second one, plus having to buy CD-R again in the year 2017. Where the later takes apart the Saturn and requires soldering which I try to avoid at all cost.

The drive emulator is probably the best method but it is hard if not near impossible to get ahold of and requires some surgery to get installed. The flashed action replay seems like a poor option to me for multiple reasons; making a AR mostly useless for the other things, putting stress on the cart slot on the Saturn which is notoriously flakey already and still requiring CDs.

Getting a Saturn mod chip is honestly still the best real solution until when/if this MPEG card slot thing ever comes along. They are cheap, dirt simple to install (seriously one wire to solder and it isn't even hard in the least) and if you are going to be still using CD-Rs you might as well go with the most solid solution for it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Djarum posted:

The drive emulator is probably the best method but it is hard if not near impossible to get ahold of and requires some surgery to get installed. The flashed action replay seems like a poor option to me for multiple reasons; making a AR mostly useless for the other things, putting stress on the cart slot on the Saturn which is notoriously flakey already and still requiring CDs.

Getting a Saturn mod chip is honestly still the best real solution until when/if this MPEG card slot thing ever comes along. They are cheap, dirt simple to install (seriously one wire to solder and it isn't even hard in the least) and if you are going to be still using CD-Rs you might as well go with the most solid solution for it.

Surprise they still make Saturn mod chips. Yeah I tried looking up the disc replacement and noticed they are not available for ordering so that idea is out. And yeah the Action Replay one isn't so fun. I see listing on ebay for a Hong Kong seller who sells a pre-flash one, but it probably won't show up for two months.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Rirse posted:

Surprise they still make Saturn mod chips. Yeah I tried looking up the disc replacement and noticed they are not available for ordering so that idea is out. And yeah the Action Replay one isn't so fun. I see listing on ebay for a Hong Kong seller who sells a pre-flash one, but it probably won't show up for two months.

Yeah they are still out there. The Saturn's popularity coupled with that most of the best stuff is either impossible to afford/find and/or import has kept the demand going for pretty much ever.

Someone actually developed a new, better one a year or so ago that will work with any model of Saturn. Previously you had to have a round button, Model 2 Saturn to use the easily available mod chip.

I have used CD-Rs almost exclusively in every Saturn I have had over the years and those drives are built like tanks so don't worry about them too much. Just make sure you buy semi decent quality discs and you'll be fine. Hell I have some original Sega beta discs that still play fine and some of those are over 20 years old.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

On the other hand, I think the Action Replay method works fine. The only feature that I ever used with mine was the region breaking, and that's built into the loader. If you regularly fill your saturn ram up you might want a second Action Replay, or to invest in the new cart the pseudo saturn guy made with SD card memory. It's not really stressing the Saturn cart port a ton, since you don't switch carts.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Would you lose out on any of the games that used the extra ram the Replay gives you?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Rirse posted:

I just installed a modchip in my Saturn and it is super easy and works flawlessly. Seriously it's just one ribbon cable and one wire (2-3 solder points depending on your model of Saturn). I did the whole thing in less than 10 minutes. You can buy one for $29. PM me for details on where. Between that chip and an action reply you can play anything painlessly and still get all the AR features.

This drive emulators sell out in seconds when the they do go on sale every couple months, and the VCD port thing doesn't exist as a product yet.

SeductiveReasoning fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 21, 2017

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Rirse posted:

Would you lose out on any of the games that used the extra ram the Replay gives you?

Nope, the RAM functions still work fine.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Elliotw2 posted:

Rare in particular has said that all of their games are as difficult or obtuse as they are entirely so that you can buy it and get your money's worth.
And this right here is why I dislike most Rare games. I'm not getting my money's worth when I'm slogging through whatever bullshit they decided to pad their game with, I'm just getting frustrated by the whole thing. Of course, in the N64 days I'd still pretend I enjoyed Rare's collectathons, because after a certain point that's pretty much all we loving had when it came to major releases on the system.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
DK64 was a step too far, but I remember thinking that as far as collectathons went Banjo-Kazooie was very solid. At the very least I remember its hubworld being a lot more dense with things to find and unlock compared to say the castle in Mario 64. I still don't think I've ever been able to replay it since that initial playthrough though, whereas remains very approachable.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rare's Spectrum-era games felt plenty reasonable in comparison to the other stuff on the market, I feel.

I think their N64 games tended to be bloated because they knew they had to hold their own against CD games, which led to them overcompensating in all sorts of stupid ways. It also didn't help that people were so enamoured with 3D that they developed the false assumption that you could have the player do any ol' bullshit in 3D and it'd be fun, but they disproved that notion pretty quickly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I love Banjo-Tooie (and B-K) but hoo-boy is that a real clusterfuck of things to do. Especially with the Jiggies that require setup in one world and pay off in another. Both games sorely needed a Jiggy checklist.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

For the longest time I kept getting the impression that the mod chip was the only way to run imports short of some weird disc-juggling thing. Or is it burned discs that require juggling or some other trickery?

I've got an Ultra Madness Turbo Key and an Action Replay Plus but I've never tried using either. Should probably get around to doing that at some point. If they're essentially the same thing and both work I'll probably just sell off one.

Djarum posted:

Yeah they are still out there. The Saturn's popularity coupled with that most of the best stuff is either impossible to afford/find and/or import has kept the demand going for pretty much ever.

Someone actually developed a new, better one a year or so ago that will work with any model of Saturn. Previously you had to have a round button, Model 2 Saturn to use the easily available mod chip.

I have used CD-Rs almost exclusively in every Saturn I have had over the years and those drives are built like tanks so don't worry about them too much. Just make sure you buy semi decent quality discs and you'll be fine. Hell I have some original Sega beta discs that still play fine and some of those are over 20 years old.

Do you have a link to the above? My Saturn is one of the oval button types and I'm curious.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

For the longest time I kept getting the impression that the mod chip was the only way to run imports short of some weird disc-juggling thing. Or is it burned discs that require juggling or some other trickery?

Basically the region check and legit disc checks are two completely separate processes, also the Saturn's library and its being in an era where internet distribution was a pipe dream meant that most of the circumvention effort was focused on reading copied discs and not on the region check, so generally mod chips would let burned discs coded to your Saturn's region work, but not discs from other regions, whether or not they were legit. IIRC overriding the region check is doable with an Action Replay, and if you're burning a copy there are things you can do to change the coded region of the image so it matches your Saturn.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Short of buying a broken SFC controller, does anyone know where to buy replacements for the colourful SFC-style controller buttons?

I'm finding lots of places to get the purple SNES style, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

The first "platformer maker for people who just want to fiddle" package that I can think of dates to about 1991, though I wouldn't be shocked if someone made one earlier. I'd expect that to be the kind of thing to get ported to the Amiga...

And now I'm thinking about The Adventure Construction Set. A cursory search did not find an archive of ACS games and now I am disappointed.

Spinnaker's Adventure Creator was a lot of fun back in the day:

I'd be extremely surprised if any user-made games for this utility are out there.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Nate RFB posted:

DK64 was a step too far

The one that's always going to be my "gently caress you, no" moment was Jet Force Gemini. You're at the end! But wait! Go back and collect all the little bastards you stopped caring about who did nothing. No, there's no reason for this, we just hid the final boss because gently caress you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like(d) Rare and Rare games and I'll play them again anytime.

Except original DKC, it's pretty boring.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Picked up a few boxed (by no manuals) Genesis games recently:

Pirates Gold
Might and Magic: Gates to Another World
Fatal Labyrinth
Altered Beast

I of course knew of Altered Beast already but the rest were new to me. I love Pirates, everything about it, not sure about the other two.

M&M is deep in a very old school slow archaic kinda way (no offense) but I can appreciate it from a place and time perspective.

Fatal Labyrinth on the other hand, eh... Pretty cool to have a roguelike on the Genesis but nothing about it is that appealing. The standard dungeon music sucks, not sure if it changes but I only played for an hour.

Should I hold onto these?

Thinking about selling both for $15 a pop + shipping if anyone was interested.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

al-azad posted:

Except original DKC, it's pretty boring.

When did it come into vogue to dislike DKC? I played it last year and it seemed like the exact same game I've always remembered.

There are a few games like this where I don't know where is only only seem to hear bad things about. Bad Dudes is another one that gets bashed nowadays and I don't get the hate for it. My friends at the time used to love it and I think it's still decent today. Only theory I have is that people are just moving right and mashing on the attack buttons, which isn't going to be a whole lot of fun. If you get the timing down on the jump kick it becomes a whole different game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess with the Retro games out people look back on DKC1, and the insane hype it got when it first came out, as being incongruous. It is a bit simple/easy compared to the rest of the franchise (including Returns and Tropical Freeeze) but it does still look, sound, and control very nice.

DKC2 is the refinement of that entire aesthetic married to much more ambitious design and challenge, before it got overwrought and convoluted in DKC3 and IMO very poorly balanced diffuclty-wise in Returns and Tropical Freeze.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

Nope, the RAM functions still work fine.

Think I just do the Action Replay mod then. Thank you.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

beepstreet posted:

Picked up a few boxed (by no manuals) Genesis games recently:

Pirates Gold
Might and Magic: Gates to Another World
Fatal Labyrinth
Altered Beast

I of course knew of Altered Beast already but the rest were new to me. I love Pirates, everything about it, not sure about the other two.

M&M is deep in a very old school slow archaic kinda way (no offense) but I can appreciate it from a place and time perspective.

Fatal Labyrinth on the other hand, eh... Pretty cool to have a roguelike on the Genesis but nothing about it is that appealing. The standard dungeon music sucks, not sure if it changes but I only played for an hour.

Should I hold onto these?

Thinking about selling both for $15 a pop + shipping if anyone was interested.

MM2 is definitely archaic, it was part of the FPP dungeon crawler boom back when they were just taking off. Shame you missed out on the manual though cause that guy is a huge cool fuckoff monster, especially for a Genesis game.

I think the game is very rewarding if you want to stick with it, but it can be very hard and you probably need some innate preference for FPP dungeon games. It's maybe like a slightly less arcane/obtuse Wizardry :v:

The Genesis version is pretty good and one of the best-looking versions of the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

When did it come into vogue to dislike DKC? I played it last year and it seemed like the exact same game I've always remembered.

There are a few games like this where I don't know where is only only seem to hear bad things about. Bad Dudes is another one that gets bashed nowadays and I don't get the hate for it. My friends at the time used to love it and I think it's still decent today. Only theory I have is that people are just moving right and mashing on the attack buttons, which isn't going to be a whole lot of fun. If you get the timing down on the jump kick it becomes a whole different game.

I felt the same way 20 years ago as I played DKC2 before the first. But some sequels make the originals obsolete. Like I can't recommend Metroid while the remake exists.

What I don't get is the hate for DKC3. I'll just chalk it up to fatigue and hate for the main characters.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Doc Morbid posted:

James Pond 2: Codename Robocod is a classic and I will not hear otherwise :colbert:

Well, maybe not. Actually I just have fond memories of it because for some reason it was on all our school computers back in the mid-90s, along with Ski or Die.

If I were to only ever play a single James Pond game, which should it be?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

What I don't get is the hate for DKC3.

Yeah, me either. I absolutely adore that game's summer camp aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I remember it just being really annoying traversing the world in DKC3, as well as actually 100%ing it. The banana birds or whatever were just kind of a pain.

al-azad posted:

I felt the same way 20 years ago as I played DKC2 before the first. But some sequels make the originals obsolete. Like I can't recommend Metroid while the remake exists.
I love Zero Mission but I've replayed original Metroid far more frequently. I think the original is actually rather underrated, if you have a map available and don't reset/die too often it's pretty great.

• Locked thread