Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

My biggest problem with Empire was when the game ground to a halt once you breached a forts walls and the AI froze up trying to find a way off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
My biggest problem with Empire was that aside from some of the Islamic factions, that was an abysmally tedious time in warfare to cover.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I've never played any TW and I'm trying really hard to get into it but I'm terrible. The guides in the OP are really great and I just wanted to say thanks because I'd be completely lost without them.

I love the game. It's a lot of fun. It's just frustrating right now, too. I'm losing things I know I shouldn't be. Reading about basic strategies is helping a whole, whole lot.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

a harpy posted:

I've never played any TW and I'm trying really hard to get into it but I'm terrible. The guides in the OP are really great and I just wanted to say thanks because I'd be completely lost without them.

I love the game. It's a lot of fun. It's just frustrating right now, too. I'm losing things I know I shouldn't be. Reading about basic strategies is helping a whole, whole lot.

Have problems on the campaign map or the battle map?

Best new guy advice for campaign is to expand slowly. Build walls in all minor towns. Yes, this will take some time, but it will prevent you from quickly moving your armies off to their next target only to have the AI swoop in and burn down your unguarded towns.

In the battle map bind keyboard shortcuts for speed up and speed down. If there is a moment in the battle has too much going on just hit that keybind for speed down once for slow motion, and a second time to pause. Much more handy than the top right buttons on the mini map.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Comix Zone - FAI9K-XB92V-MBQK2
Total War Attila: Blood and Burning - FB3DL-EQ9FA-NCG30
Shogun 2 Blood Pack - FGNC4-KE2P8-BG9FG
Endless Legend - Echoes of Auriga Add-on - EVLE5-3RBH5-PLEY8

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I really wished that units that finally rally would TURN AROUND instead of just standing with their backs to the battle. It would make rallying missile units a little more independent. Right now I often get so distracted by the main fight ill often miss when my missile troops rallied and waste valuable time that could have been spent turning them around and shooting at things.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=867506900&searchtext=End+Times

This mod has an interesting idea, but holy poo poo is it overtuned. Jesus christ. 60 full stacks for the full end times invasion is NUTS and actually makes you scared. It may not actually be possible to stop. I'm not sure. I tried and it basically slowly rolled over all my defenses as the Empire, even though I personally fought each siege and would cull the hordes as much as possible. Insane poo poo.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The mod that turns off the chaos invasion is the best.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Ehhh...It's nice to have something big and deadly to throw your big awesome super armies at, they're way too weak in vanilla imo. But I guess that's just how it is until they are expanded.

Is there a possibility of naval combat in the future of Total Warhammer? Someone said they didn't have the ManoWar license but even if that's true could they ignore the $$$ this game makes?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
I'm thinking they'd really have to. I don't know if you'd NEED the Man O' War license to use the ships from the lore. Hell just last night I noticed that when the dwarves embark an army it's the little Nautilus sub from Man O' War :kiddo:.

No naval battles with them adding Ulthuan, Naggaroth, and Lustria would be pretty stupid. Just would be curious what kind of vessels they'd give to races that never really had much described for them like the Undead.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Even tho Dreadfleet was an overpriced piece of poo poo game they should totally add Count Noctilus and his undead pirate armada to Total Warhammer: Now With Shipfights

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Theres a little reference to him when you're playing as the VCs. Random event. You have to fund an expedition I think.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Gonkish posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=867506900&searchtext=End+Times

This mod has an interesting idea, but holy poo poo is it overtuned. Jesus christ. 60 full stacks for the full end times invasion is NUTS and actually makes you scared. It may not actually be possible to stop. I'm not sure. I tried and it basically slowly rolled over all my defenses as the Empire, even though I personally fought each siege and would cull the hordes as much as possible. Insane poo poo.

depends who you were playing. as dwarfs or empire if you expanded north and had level 3 walls on every city defended by low cost high value stacks you'd probably lose a ton of territory but I can see grinding them down before they took all your stuff

I might try it sounds fun.

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 21, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I might try it to get the "defend 25 siege battles" achievement.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
So, I've never played a TW game before. I saw some info in the OP, and some links in the last couple of pages that I'll take a look at when I get home that I think will help.

But I'm looking for some feedback on pacing. I started a campaign and I'm just basically upgrading random buildings (oh, my cash flow is low, build a tailor) and throwing upgrade points on Franz into whatever because I don't really know how significant any of his upgrades are. I just eradicated the secessionists, and I'm at turn like 40 or so, I believe. But I have no idea if that's fast, slow, or on target. I guess I just want to know if I'm okay, or if I've already lost and just won't know it for 400 turns.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

It's loving insane to me that GW decided to finally use the Warhammer Fantasy premise correctly at the same time they killed off the TT version. What the hell is going through the diseased minds that run that company.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Russad posted:

I just eradicated the secessionists, and I'm at turn like 40 or so, I believe. But I have no idea if that's fast, slow, or on target. I guess I just want to know if I'm okay, or if I've already lost and just won't know it for 400 turns.

That seems a bit slow, I'm pretty sure you can just march your starting army + a few more recruited swordsmen and take the entire starting province by turn 5 or 6. I dont think you've lost already though! just consolidate what you have, build up a stack or two and go take marienburg. you'll have tons of money once you take that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Russad posted:

So, I've never played a TW game before. I saw some info in the OP, and some links in the last couple of pages that I'll take a look at when I get home that I think will help.

But I'm looking for some feedback on pacing. I started a campaign and I'm just basically upgrading random buildings (oh, my cash flow is low, build a tailor) and throwing upgrade points on Franz into whatever because I don't really know how significant any of his upgrades are. I just eradicated the secessionists, and I'm at turn like 40 or so, I believe. But I have no idea if that's fast, slow, or on target. I guess I just want to know if I'm okay, or if I've already lost and just won't know it for 400 turns.

That's uh, really slow. You might still be okay at lower difficulties, but...

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60WQUG3XW3M

Official Brettonia trailer is out.

Edit: And steam page
http://store.steampowered.com/app/534330/

This is interesting, the blessing can be permanently gained or lost depending on a battles outcomes.

quote:

Any Lord and his attendant army who achieve a Heroic Victory in battle will receive The Blessing of The Lady, and will thenceforth receive a Ward Save for future battles. If a unit routs in subsequent battles, it will lose the Blessing for the remainder of the fight, and if the army refuses a battle – choosing to retreat from an attack on the campaign map for example – the army will lose the Blessing. Certain high-tier units, such as Grail Knights, will have the Blessing as a unit trait by default.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 21, 2017

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

I dont know posted:

This is interesting, the blessing can be permanently gained or lost depending on a battles outcomes.

Grail Reliquae

Magical
(I can't get a non-crappy screen shot)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Grail Reliquae

Magical
(I can't get a non-crappy screen shot)
I'm so glad they put this in.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

that's amazing

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah that preview is fantastic.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I really like the Blessing of the Lady implementation. When you win a Heroic Victory, you get a ward save. When that unit flees, they temporarily lose the save for the rest of the battle. If the army retreats (not loses, just hits the retreat button) they lose the blessing permanently until they re-earn it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
HAIL FAIR BRETTONIA, where the festival of we're not watering the wine down will end you!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I dont know posted:

The Knight's Vow sounds really goddamn cool read aloud over this game.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Ahaha that grail reliquae dropkick

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

peer posted:

Oh my god I just noticed that.

This is the best game.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

peer posted:

Had to go back and check that I saw it. Cackled like a madman when it was true.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I watched it on my phone first and thought that was some new crazy undead Mousillon mount. Couldn't see the peasants. So it's a couple guys pretending to be a horse holding up a skeleton rider and a horse skull and kicking like a horse, that's pretty cool too.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Russad posted:

Slow, and you haven't lost but I'd start over.

You should jump on the Secessionists and have them gone in the first few turns of the game. They're basically there for you to stomp early on and they have no political ties. Recruit flagellants or other 1 turn units in your army then just stomp them.

It's a good idea to sort of pre plan what you're going to be building in a province, early I opt for defenses/econ/and growth buildings, later I might demolish growth/defense to add in happiness. Growth and Econ will let you advance into better armies, you can kill growth later on and even remove defense if this is a provence surrounded by other provinces.

Try to tailor unit production to any buildings that are unique to the province capitol. For example keeping cannon production in Nuln/Wissenland for the bonuses. In the end if you mess this up it's not the end of the world.

Lord points are a balance between the three trees, I generally put points into the lord and unit buffs first, then points into the blue to reduce upkeep and get my costs in line and try for lightning strike.

Early game consolidate your first province, start moving on Wissenland, and keep on eye out for what the AI is up to. Like if the WELF's are out of control steam rolling.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
By the way CA is doing a thing where you can get Bretonnia 24 hours before the official date if you sign up to their Total War Access located here : https://dashboard.totalwar.com/home

It's free to do and hell i want the new faction a day earlier don't you?

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Thanks folks. I think I'll just ditch the campaign and restart.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Russad posted:

Thanks folks. I think I'll just ditch the campaign and restart.

Of note, however, Empire is now considered one of the harder factions because they're dead center in a map with like 9 different factions at this point.

Keep at it, certainly, just be aware it's a surprisingly tough road now.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Hmm, I dunno, as long as you know the beastmen will be knocking on Helmgart around turn 8-12 assuming they didn't get blown up by welves it's not so hard. If you expand west though the welves will take umbrage and unless you auto-resolve your battles against them your armies will get hosed hard.

I honestly haven't figured out how to beat welves armies on VH with early-mid compositions. They're incredibly potent in battle, between unit-shredding archers and terror-inducing infantry.

Once you've improved your crossbowmen/handgunners though you can just erase their units. It's gorgeous to watch treemen get shot down in a couple of volleys.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Out of curiosity is there anyone on the Total War forums, Steam or w/e that is pointing out that Bretonnia is just tweaked Arthurian legend? I would think that the cross-section between "pissed that CA did a non-historical Total War game" and "not knowing that everything in early Warhammer was blatant historical fiction with orcs" has to crop up somewhere.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, those Bretonnian cityscapes are giving me Heroes of Might and Magic III Castle faction vibes, yeeeesssss

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Aurubin posted:

Out of curiosity is there anyone on the Total War forums, Steam or w/e that is pointing out that Bretonnia is just tweaked Arthurian legend? I would think that the cross-section between "pissed that CA did a non-historical Total War game" and "not knowing that everything in early Warhammer was blatant historical fiction with orcs" has to crop up somewhere.

That's literally the point of Bretonnia: Arthurian stereotypes writ large. Le Morte d'Arthur was a French work, after all.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Isn't all of Bretonnian religion/grail hype based on WELF trickery too? Hence some of the WELF skills to increasing diplomacy with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I have a quest to embed a necromancer in Mannfred's army in my VC campaign, but hitting the hero action button on him goes right to the planning action. What am I doing wrong?

• Locked thread