Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

baw posted:

Liberals want to help refugees, who are muslims, and muslims are pedophiles

Huh really that simple eh.

JFC the thought process people have is frightening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's probably even more simple; "liberals are bad so they must also want to protect bad people" combined with projection since religious people and conservative icons often have sex abuse scandals. Remember that most of stuff they accuse their enemies of doing is something they are actually guilty of.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Radish posted:

It's probably even more simple; "liberals are bad so they must also want to protect bad people" combined with projection since religious people and conservative icons often have sex abuse scandals. Remember that most of stuff they accuse their enemies of doing is something they are actually guilty of.

Oh i've never forgotten that, i just posted that in the trump thread heh.

Do as I say, not as I do, indeed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A lot of it came about because the establishment right knows its primary demographics are literally dying and it needs some new ones. The alt right and young internet crazy people looked like a good target but now all of their utterly abhorrent ideas are becoming more public. Turns out most people aren't OK with destroying feminism, allowing pedophilia, and bringing back 19th century style racism.

I mean, I wouldn't go that far. I mean, yes, 99% of the Right-wing is anti-pedophilia (I leave the remaining 1% up in the air as there are probably pedophiles with right-wing views, but I'd say that's, obviously, divorced from their political views), but the other two are probably something most of them are okay with.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah Milo only started getting real pushback from the mainstream when the recent videos got more attention (and from right wingers). When leftwing people were pointing out he was bad for those reasons many Serious people were willing to say he wasn't that awful and people shouldn't try to limit his freedom of speech. Kurt Eichenwald even had to preface his "yeah his comments are real terrible" tweet yesterday with a statement about how previously he had some ok things to say.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, is anyone setting up a CPAC thread, or if there is one already, can I get a link? This Milo stuff has whetted my appetite, but I'm ready for the main course of crazy.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, Milo really is the Emcee from Cabaret, isn't he?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Radish posted:

Yeah Milo only started getting real pushback from the mainstream when the recent videos got more attention (and from right wingers). When leftwing people were pointing out he was bad for those reasons many Serious people were willing to say he wasn't that awful and people shouldn't try to limit his freedom of speech. Kurt Eichenwald even had to preface his "yeah his comments are real terrible" tweet yesterday with a statement about how previously he had some ok things to say.

I know someone earlier made the comment that the "Failing Left" couldn't stop him, but I think that guy wasn't getting the point. We did show this information. It was widely know. The ONLY reason it took him down now is because they decided to stop denying it because they were looking for reasons to put him "in his place." It's not like the right found a "magic bullet" no one used before, they found our own oppo stuff and acted like it was the first time they ever noticed it.

That or they just don't actually listen when we point poo poo out so finding it out from one of their own made it have impact and not set off the immediate" defend our own" drive.

Remember, the Right Wing hates gays, CPAC is the worst offender, so why would they be comfortable with a gay man being the main speaker at the show? And it allows them to say "Gays are Pedos!" so win-win for them.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Radish posted:

Usually but in this case it really is the "Muslims are pedophiles" thing. This is a big thing in right-wing circles (along with accusing them of goat-loving), saying that Mohammed's first wife was nine years old, and then there was that case somewhere in the midwest where right-wing news sites were reporting that three Somali immigrants molested a six year old girl or something like that.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Twelve by Pies posted:

Usually but in this case it really is the "Muslims are pedophiles" thing. This is a big thing in right-wing circles (along with accusing them of goat-loving), saying that Mohammed's first wife was nine years old, and then there was that case somewhere in the midwest where right-wing news sites were reporting that three Somali immigrants molested a six year old girl or something like that.

Ugh, why do conservatives insist on making poo poo like this up? Did they really not notice that we're in the internet age now where anything anyone says is easily verifiable, so blood libel really isn't workable now? You can't just make poo poo up now, or, like, at least you shouldn't be able to. People can look up everything you say.

It does kind of damage my sanity, though, that anyone would believe the prophet of a faith with over a billion adherents was a pedophile, even without the internet to fact-check things on. :psyduck:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

CubanMissile posted:

You know what I never understood? All the crazy uncles and YouTube commenters and the like said a great many racist things about Barack Obama, but it pales in comparison to the unbridled turboracist poo poo they would say about Michelle. Never really got why.

When it comes to black women, racism and misogyny are logarithmic rather than additive.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

21 Muns posted:

Ugh, why do conservatives insist on making poo poo like this up? Did they really not notice that we're in the internet age now where anything anyone says is easily verifiable, so blood libel really isn't workable now? You can't just make poo poo up now, or, like, at least you shouldn't be able to. People can look up everything you say.

Yeah, they could.

If anything, the internet makes this poo poo spread even faster.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I've had to shitpost two different dipshits in the last week posting fake stories about Obama's shadow government that he created to take down Trump.

Every post is just spreads the rumormill, clickbait fake news to dozens more who just BELIEVE it.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

21 Muns posted:

It does kind of damage my sanity, though, that anyone would believe the prophet of a faith with over a billion adherents was a pedophile, even without the internet to fact-check things on. :psyduck:

I'm a member of the Snopes community on Facebook, and right wing news stories about crimes that Muslims have supposedly committed pop up daily to be debunked. It's incredibly depressing.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I feel like the only reason Milo got famous was because of Drudge having a huge crush on him, and posting about him to his huge audience. For a long time Drudge has loved to post Milo links right at the top of his page along with ridiculous glamour shots of him.

I mean just look at that. Drudge totally wants him.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I think Milo was targeted. But he was targeted by the right. Those clips were old and people probably sat on them or waited until called to dig them up. His book, Mahar, CPAC thing was just good timing and what celebs are supposed to do. This isn't a Cinderella story. I'm sure people wanted to sell books and they figured out the best schedule (a timeline if I may) for him to promote himself. The problem was someone on the right wanted to clip his wings.

temple fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 21, 2017

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Aisha wasn't Muhammad first wife, she was his third. His first wife, Khadija, was a pretty cool woman though.

Aisha's age being nine or ten doesn't come from the right wing but rather comes from some hadiths, predominately Sunni I think? And I think the Shia traditionally say she was around 16 or so. Which is honestly a lot more likely, given her behavior during some of the early battles and the comparisons made between her age and the age of her older sister.

I mean definitely the right wing love trotting it out without any actual understanding of it, but it's not that they invented it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Covok posted:

I mean, I wouldn't go that far. I mean, yes, 99% of the Right-wing is anti-pedophilia (I leave the remaining 1% up in the air as there are probably pedophiles with right-wing views, but I'd say that's, obviously, divorced from their political views), but the other two are probably something most of them are okay with.

Most on the right yes but most people in general no. The other thing of that has to do with the right's strategy for the past several decades. You know, fight every battle all the time forever to get votes. The religious right has a lot of people that aren't comfortable with the racism but vote R because abortion while the die hard racists often give no shits about abortion or feminism. It's ultimately a coalition of minority views in the end. In the end if you vote R you vote for all of it but your bog standard Republican voter probably cares about one or two of the party's things and may very well be uncomfortable with a big chunk of the platform.

Meanwhile the party says stuff like "oh, you don't agree with our anti-black stance? What are you going to do, vote Democrat and contribute to millions of murdered babies? Yeah, that's what I thought. Oh by the way we're going to give a poo poo load of money to the rich lol."

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
LOL.

The religious right isn't comfortable with racism. Yeah . . . that's why the Evangelical vote turned out hard for Trump over other more traditionally conservative candidates.

The Religious Right is the racist core of the Republican Party.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The religious right got involved in politics specifically to fight desegregation. The Tea Party was made up of Evangelicals. Trump who is literally everything they claim to hate won them hard opposed to Hillary that was actually religious.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shbobdb posted:

LOL.

The religious right isn't comfortable with racism. Yeah . . . that's why the Evangelical vote turned out hard for Trump over other more traditionally conservative candidates.

The Religious Right is the racist core of the Republican Party.

Depends on the individuals. You'd be surprised how many people vote Republican based on abortion and literally nothing else.

It's more that individual members of the religious right happen to be racist rather than something inherent to the movement. I mean really, why do you think that anybody bothers saying "Democrats are the real racists because they support abortion and that leads to more aborted black babies."

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Those people aren't part of the "religious right", they're just boring suburban Catholics.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

When you make a 200k book deal, the company pulls that out, is there likely a clause preventing you from going to another publisher?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

KiteAuraan posted:

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/833817667333140480

So a buddy of mine clued me into this, and gave me info on the only other source outside a Norwegian tabloid. Sputnik News. The story was 2 hours ago, with no info anywhere except Dagbladet, Sputnik and Prison Planet. And, apparently, the pictures themselves are from years ago.

So expect this going forward. Far right wing media is going to increasingly become a propaganda outlet of the Russians.

Edit: Also found sources on a lot of iffy websites out of Norway, and Zero Hedge, who if I recall has Russian ties. Nothing on Swedish news sites or Swedish social media.

The Washington Post has a write up here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.4447dfb34860

Essentially

quote:

Just two days after President Trump provoked widespread consternation by seeming to imply, incorrectly, that immigrants had perpetrated a recent spate of violence in Sweden, riots broke out in a predominantly immigrant neighborhood in the northern suburbs of Sweden's capital, Stockholm.

The neighborhood, Rinkeby, was the scene of riots in 2010 and 2013, too. And in most ways, what happened late Monday night was reminiscent of those earlier bouts of anger. Swedish police apparently made an arrest around 8 p.m. near the Rinkeby station. For reasons not yet disclosed by the police, word of the arrest prompted a crowd of youths to gather.

Over four hours, the crowd burned about half a dozen cars, vandalized several shopfronts and threw rocks at police. Police spokesman Lars Bystrom confirmed to Sweden's Dagens Nyheter newspaper that an officer fired shots with intention to hit a rioter, but did not strike his target. A photographer for the newspaper was attacked by more than a dozen men and his camera was stolen, but ultimately no one was hurt or even arrested.

Bystrom added, “This kind of situation doesn’t happen that often, but it is always regrettable when they happen.”

So, riots? Yes. Immigrants? Probably. Ongoing crisis of this happening all the time everywhere? No.
In fact,

quote:

The newspaper Dagens Nyheter analyzed crime statistics between October 2015 and January 2016 and came to the conclusion that refugees were responsible for only 1 percent of all incidents. That has done little to assuage the perceptions, even among Swedes, that foreigners are culpable for the crime that does happen. A Pew Research Center study conducted in early 2016 indicated that 46 percent of Swedes believed that “refugees in our country are more to blame for crime than other groups.”

So, it's a case of perception equalling reality for people. You can throw data at them, but this is a case that only confirms the bias. Refugees and immigrants, who are predominantly Arabs and North Africans, are responsible for violence. Were they in this case? It looks like it. But are they responsible for all crimes, and all violence, or for a dramatic upswing? No.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

TGLT posted:

Aisha wasn't Muhammad first wife, she was his third. His first wife, Khadija, was a pretty cool woman though.

Aisha's age being nine or ten doesn't come from the right wing but rather comes from some hadiths, predominately Sunni I think? And I think the Shia traditionally say she was around 16 or so. Which is honestly a lot more likely, given her behavior during some of the early battles and the comparisons made between her age and the age of her older sister.

I mean definitely the right wing love trotting it out without any actual understanding of it, but it's not that they invented it.

Yeah, my recollection is that even in the claims of her being on the young end of that range, it was comparable to a deeper or less creepy version of what Trump said about whatever 10-year-old(s) and various teen models. More of an "I shall one day love her" flash-forward whatever, and not the RWM projection-as-derision "Oh boy, can't wait to gently caress that kiddo!"

It's still not fit as a model for modern relationships, but that's the story

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

21 Muns posted:

But Jack Chick is here to show you the truth!

He even has citations to back it up! If you don't believe him, you can read this book he wrote!

As an aside, I thought this was kind of funny that it shows Chick's "magic words" thinking. How anyone can be a horrible person and do the worst things but are instantly saved if they say the magic words, or they can be a good person but if they don't say the magic words they're doomed. Turns out not only Christianity has magic words.

Oh no, those girls almost said the wrong magic words! Good thing they were stopped in time.

TGLT posted:

Too lazy to get the pictures from other Chick tracts that talk about how Khadija was actually a super secret Catholic agent who the Vatican picked with the express purpose of tricking someone into creating the false Islam religion.

But yeah, I didn't mean to imply that the right-wing invented the "Mohammed's wife was a little kid" thing, they just like to say it a lot.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Of course nobody trots out all the other wacky sexual poo poo the Hebrew patriarchs got up to.

Also in the book of Ruth the day is saved by premarital sex.

Oh whatever, the Bible is just a totem to them. I've literally heard conservatives sneer at the idea of "turning the other cheek." Dude that wasn't a Paul-ism, that's straight from the guy at the center of the religion you're so supposedly dedicated to?

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh no, those girls almost said the wrong magic words! Good thing they were stopped in time.
If they think these words actually have power, aren't they admitting that Islam is real or at least as real as their religion?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Faustian Bargain posted:

If they think these words actually have power, aren't they admitting that Islam is real or at least as real as their religion?

Not really, they believe it's devil magic.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Faustian Bargain posted:

They believe Islam is created by Satan and that Allah is actually Satan so by saying the magic words to become Muslim you are saying "I pledge my life to Satan" and then whoops there goes your soul, sorry Becky and Tashana but you're gonna burn in Hell forever now.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
When we say racism, do we mean racism or Racism? Because I easily believe that the religious right is against Racism. You know, like the KKK.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

They believe Islam is created by Satan and that Allah is actually Satan so by saying the magic words to become Muslim you are saying "I pledge my life to Satan" and then whoops there goes your soul, sorry Becky and Tashana but you're gonna burn in Hell forever now.

It's nice that by rights the right should be spending tons of mental energy, worried about random kids in random places making random vocalizations, which amount to eternal damnation pacts. Because literal magic words are a rare danger that you can't really fight with traditional PSA or outreach campaigns, since you'd just be spreading them.

But their specialty is not thinking systems through on more than one level, or reflecting ever. But this should lead to 24/7 existential dead and terror.

If Stephen Hawking's TTS-output reader says the magic words, does he become Muslim?

Edit: whoa can I hack the devices of disabled people to create a Muslim legion??? Like Mormons with the graveyard conversions

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 21, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Pirate Radar posted:

When we say racism, do we mean racism or Racism? Because I easily believe that the religious right is against Racism. You know, like the KKK.

Back in the 60s LBJ got religious groups to put their support and votes behind Civil Rights by appealing to their faith. We've... come a long way since then.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

He even has citations to back it up! If you don't believe him, you can read this book he wrote!

Oh no. He turned some Jews into Rats that's awful.

What other terrible crimes did he commit?

He sounds like the sort of bastard that would send a Bear to murder a bunch of children, or kill a Man's entire family to win a bet. Remember it's imporant to catch these Sociopathic deities young, because when they grow up they start doing stuff like murdering the first born of entire nations.

Edit: Actually I'm perhaps being unfair there. After all God gave Job a new family after he won his bet, and we're told his new daughters were apparently way hotter than his old ones. So that's all right then. :colbert:

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 21, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am hoping this is case but will CNN and MSNBC ignore Milo presser?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I am hoping this is case but will CNN and MSNBC ignore Milo presser?

Guessing he'll apologize and say not my fault i'm a victim and i dont know what came over me yadda yadda. He knows this is the end of it so he will probs attempt to save face

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Pirate Radar posted:

Noted segregationist and figurehead of the Religious Right Jerry Falwell was both racist and Racist. The Religious Right is the peaceful political wing of the KKK.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Milo has resigned

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/834125236383711232

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Deptfordx posted:

He sounds like the sort of bastard that would send a Bear to murder a bunch of children, or kill a Man's entire family to win a bet. Remember it's imporant to catch these Sociopathic deities young, because when they grow up they start doing stuff like murdering the first born of entire nations.
Go up, thou bald head :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"resigned" these days is pretty much bizspeak for "we politely asked him to gently caress off or we'd fire him" so lol

after all the poo poo he did in 2015 to 2016 this was the best possible whirlwind he could reap. poo poo happens when you take your stupid loving gimmick too far.