Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:stare: The Anne Frank Center is not happy.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/834067300970090496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Some Jewish cemetery had about 20 headstones toppled last night.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Anne Frank, trapped in a closet all those years. Sad! I won Florida, it was great, the Jews there love me!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Anne Frank, trapped in a closet all those years. Sad! I won Florida, it was great, the Jews there love me!

Double double double digits!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
More like Anne Frank Fake News Center.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This president doesn't do holocaust jokes though. Anne frankly, he won't tolerate them either.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

LingcodKilla posted:

Some Jewish cemetery had about 20 headstones toppled last night.

Happened in Saint Louis, and it was more more than 100 from the news story I saw. The police are categorizing it as a hate crime. Some of the headstones were of Holocaust survivors.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Blind Rasputin posted:

This president doesn't do holocaust jokes though. Anne frankly, he won't tolerate them either.

That pun is unworthy of an electoral college winner.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Hey look, Church Police!

http://abc3340.com/news/local/briarwood-presbyterian-church-seeks-lawmakers-approval-to-establish-police-force

quote:

Many questions were posed during Wednesday’s committee meeting.
“Who do the officers answer to?” asked Rep. Chris England (D- Tuscaloosa).
“They would answer to the leadership of the section of the church,” a representative from the church answered.
Rep. Connie Rowe (R- Jasper) is a former police chief. She supports allowing Briarwood to create its own force.
“They will conduct their own investigations,” explained Rowe. “They will conduct their own security. They will make their own arrests and instead of calling on the local law enforcement agency to take over the particular situation they're trying to control, they will do that themselves. All they will utilize from their other law enforcement agencies is their lock up facilities.”
Rowe says she would also consider requests from other churches to do the same.
England is concerned about transparency.
“Situations and arrests you would think normally need to be made, they can make their own determinations and decisions about whether that needs to happen,” said England.

What the gently caress is a Church going to enforce? Isn't this a step away from Christian versions of Sharia law? Are they going to enforce religious matters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO0ZjJm-FPk

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 21, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

CommieGIR posted:

Hey look, Church Police!

http://abc3340.com/news/local/briarwood-presbyterian-church-seeks-lawmakers-approval-to-establish-police-force

What the gently caress is a Church going to enforce? Isn't this a step away from Christian versions of Sharia law? Are they going to enforce religious matters?

If the Inquisition comes back under Trump's 4 8THOUSAND YEAR TERM, I'm applying for an H1-B visa and switching majors within the hour.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
DHS announced new policies on undocumented and criminal illegal aliens. Most major news sources should have it up.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lmao it's like the intro to V for Vendetta

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

holocaust bloopers posted:

DHS announced new policies on undocumented and criminal illegal aliens. Most major news sources should have it up.

They are basically pushing through rules that 'Accelerate' deportations for long term illegals (who have been in country 2+ years.)

This is likely to get challenged in court, because even illegals have the right to appeal, and DHS trying to get around that is a sure fire win in court.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Hey look, Church Police!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO0ZjJm-FPk

A congregation of 4100; smaller colleges have true police forces so it's not completely insane. Pretty close though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

A congregation of 4100; smaller colleges have true police forces so it's not completely insane. Pretty close though.

Colleges have a full time attendance thing, though, and tend to have a need at all hours to have a police force. Congregation of 4100. Maybe twice a week. That's it.

And the fact that it doesn't report to the local PD, instead they want it to report directly to the church. That is worrying. Even College PDs tend to have to still work within the bounds of the local PDs rule and follow state laws. I cannot imagine the twisted poo poo that a PD that answers to Church Leadership will be used to enforce.

Long story short: They don't need a full time PD that answers to Church Leadership. That is blurring too many lines.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

My concern is what they will be enforcing, not their existence.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

My concern is what they will be enforcing, not their existence.

Yeah, that's the overwhelming issue: They want the PD to answer to CHURCH leadership. Not local Government. Church.

That's a problem. That means: Church can put out arrest warrents and doesn't have to give real reason for it. This is literally setting up for religious cops who can enforce church rulings. Despite the lack of press on it, and all the press on Islamic sharia law: Christian groups have a lot of the same poo poo like Church Courts and Church Rulings. Christians do the sharia poo poo too, its just more 'acceptable' due to the country they live in.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
One of the church officials probably wants LEO powers so he can concealed carry anywhere in the country.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well, isn't that a bunch of terrifying thoughts.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Reminder, Sean Spicer Press Briefing starting in a little under an hour and a half from now

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, that's the overwhelming issue: They want the PD to answer to CHURCH leadership. Not local Government. Church.

That's a problem. That means: Church can put out arrest warrents and doesn't have to give real reason for it. This is literally setting up for religious cops who can enforce church rulings. Despite the lack of press on it, and all the press on Islamic sharia law: Christian groups have a lot of the same poo poo like Church Courts and Church Rulings. Christians do the sharia poo poo too, its just more 'acceptable' due to the country they live in.

Could they put out warrants though if they had PD powers? I thought that was only a thing judges of the county/state/city what ever could do?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Colleges have a full time attendance thing, though, and tend to have a need at all hours to have a police force. Congregation of 4100. Maybe twice a week. That's it.

And the fact that it doesn't report to the local PD, instead they want it to report directly to the church. That is worrying. Even College PDs tend to have to still work within the bounds of the local PDs rule and follow state laws. I cannot imagine the twisted poo poo that a PD that answers to Church Leadership will be used to enforce.

Long story short: They don't need a full time PD that answers to Church Leadership. That is blurring too many lines.

University police departments don't answer to the local PD either. Neither does the local PD report to the sheriff or the state police. There is no unified chain of command for police agencies.

Looking at the website it appears they have a k-12 school, seminary and all sorts of other stuff on the same campus so it's not a completely out of the ordinary request, though most places like that get by fine with private security.

sky shark posted:

One of the church officials probably wants LEO powers so he can concealed carry anywhere in the country.

This is probably the real reason they want to organize their security like this.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Someone fire up the LaVey signal, the Church of Satan needs to go establish their own police force and start arresting this church if this poo poo gets passed.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

University police departments don't answer to the local PD either. Neither does the local PD report to the sheriff or the state police. There is no unified chain of command for police agencies.

That seems really odd.

redneck nazgul posted:

Someone fire up the LaVey signal, the Church of Satan needs to go establish their own police force and start arresting this church if this poo poo gets passed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Looking at the website it appears they have a k-12 school, seminary and all sorts of other stuff on the same campus so it's not a completely out of the ordinary request, though most places like that get by fine with private security.

They still don't need a PD for that. By that logic: Every High School and Middle School should have their own Police Department. They don't. They get one Resource Officer. If they are lucky.

hobbesmaster posted:

But people arrested on campus still have to process through local and State jail/court systems.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

not caring here posted:

Well, isn't that a bunch of terrifying thoughts.

I remember when I used to read this thread for global news and the occasional good chuckle. Now every time I open it I end up staring at a wall for 30 minutes wondering how poo poo got so hosed so fast.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KildarX posted:

That seems really odd.

Just wait until you learn about railroad police.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

They still don't need a PD for that. By that logic: Every High School and Middle School should have their own Police Department. They don't. They get one Resource Officer. If they are lucky.

School districts have independent PDs these days. Get with the (incredibly depressing) times!

quote:

But people arrested on campus still have to process through local and State jail/court systems.

As they would here?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

School districts have independent PDs these days. Get with the times!

Nope. Not on the past three states I've lived in. They have their own sub-department for the Public School System, but they still work for the local PD.

hobbesmaster posted:

As they would here?

Specifically, already pointed out: The Church officials said they want the PD to answer to them. That's the issue. At the end of the day: I seriously do not want a Church Official to be able to give out arrest warrants. There's worrying implications with this.

Christian Ecclesiastical Courts have pulled some REALLY shady poo poo in the past, and in many states their rulings are law bound.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 21, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:siren: COW CHASE IN PROGRESS :siren:

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/834089491929374721

https://twitter.com/ABC7NY/status/834088295315423232

Past highlight: https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/834086676934836224

https://twitter.com/AidanGardiner/status/834090258564263936

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 21, 2017

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Trump's deportation policy would see EVERY undocumented immigrant caught crossing the southern border deported to Mexico, regardless of their country of origin, according to this ProPublica story that DHS just confirmed.

Basically, this could be described as "If they're brown, ship em down." :sad:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

"A railroad police officer who is certified or commissioned as a police officer under the laws of any one state shall, in accordance with the regulations issued by the U.S. Secretary of Transportation, be authorized to enforce the laws of any other state in which the rail carrier owns property."

So a rail road officer who lives and works in New York can enforce laws in Georgia if his company has property down there?

So how does that work if a thing is legal in one state, and not legal in another. Can a Railroad dude enforce on something entirely legal in a state where it is totally legal?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 21, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/20/business/for-profit-education-trump-devos.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

NY Times article on For-Profits new stretching room under DeVos.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

#blackbullsmatter

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
University's don't really send arrests to their own courts do they? They still go to municipal and county courts right? If the church pd works similar this isn't a big deal. If there is a church court with its own jail system independent of state and local systems I'll worry then.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

KildarX posted:

That seems really odd.

Welcome to America.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

its pretty loving odd that a church wants its own cops, but youre blowing poo poo way out of proportion trying to compare it to sharia law

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
stay safe tranq cow

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

its pretty loving odd that a church wants its own cops, but youre blowing poo poo way out of proportion trying to compare it to sharia law

After they buy and decal out a Dodge Charger its gonna be like...you, a church, spent all that money on that?

Or will this allow them a Bearcat from the feds or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
That cow wouldn't even make the news if it was white

• Locked thread