Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

graph posted:

it's been 1,351 days since the last mac pro update

apple no longer makes computers, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

graph posted:

where

the gently caress

are the imacs

current imacs and trashpros are far more than enough for current mac users.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i bought a pc instead of an imac because they haven't been updated in forever and i hate windows 10 so

graph posted:

where

the gently caress

are the imacs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows 10 is gr8

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

poty posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/20/ipad-pro-march-event-128gb-iphone-se/

hmm there arent enough skus i think ill wait for the red iphone se 256 gb

hmm shall i get the ipad pro mini or the ipad mini pro

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

windows 10 is gr8

install it on ur phone

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shaggar posted:

windows 10 is gr8ing

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

graph posted:

it's been 1,351 days since the last mac pro update

wow do you think theres a correlation between mac pro updates and my sex life

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

poty posted:

wow do you think theres a correlation between mac pro updates and my sex life

nah there will eventually be a mac pro update

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

install it on ur phone

it is already

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

:thurman:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

http://i.imgur.com/WA4iI0Q.gifv

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

:prepop:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

you don't know that. maybe their next desktop offering will be just a plain "mac" that replaces both the mini and pro.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Plorkyeran posted:

you don't know that. maybe their next desktop offering will be just a plain "mac" that replaces both the mini and pro.

or maybe nobody cares about desktops anymore

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
windows 10 always seems to restart on me its rly annoying

how am i supposed to maintain my !uptime in irc?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
get a bouncer

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i tried the apple surface keyboards and they're insanely bad, the surface mini one in particular

like i get why tim wanted them since he's terrified of ms surface ads, but they were like sub-belkin quality

steve would never have even have considered them in the first place, but apparently tim just rubberstamps anything apple designers churn out

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
yep

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i'm not sure why timb would be terrified of surfaces, i mean win10 still does not scale all applications, or rather applications can overrule scaling and they do so more than follow it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

i'm not sure why timb would be terrified of surfaces, i mean win10 still does not scale all applications, or rather applications can overrule scaling and they do so more than follow it

because business customers will gladly sacrifice usability if it means they don't have the re-write some 20 year old business critical VB script shitpile and will buy hardware accordingly

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

because business customers will gladly sacrifice usability if it means they don't have the re-write some 20 year old business critical VB script shitpile and will buy hardware accordingly

I used to make dece money maintaining (and writing) some vbs shitpile

macros as far as the eye could see

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

iPads became too needs suiting with the Air 2. It's almost 2 1/2 years old and it's as fast as the first day I got it. I can see it lasting another 3 years.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I had an old 3 that was gr8 and had to charge maybe twice a month and this new stupid air drops at least 10% battery a day just sitting there not being used but maybe its defective

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

maybe you're mining buttes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

when the ipad 3 came out, ios barely did multitasking and didn't do much of anything in the background. that changed quite a bit by the time the air 1 was out.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

when the ipad 3 came out, ios barely did multitasking and didn't do much of anything in the background. that changed quite a bit by the time the air 1 was out.

this was a fully patched ipad running iOS 9.whatever right up until december when I had to replace it. I even imported my icloud backup from the 3 on to the air 2.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i had a first gen ipad mini and that had 500 mb RAM apparently so it couldn't even load a single javascript webpage without crashing nevermind run anything in the background a year ago lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

this was a fully patched ipad running iOS 9.whatever right up until december when I had to replace it. I even imported my icloud backup from the 3 on to the air 2.

without looking it up, i wouldn't be terribly surprised to find out that the features that would hurt battery weren't included in the ipad 3 build

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yea ios 9 on ipad 3/2 and original mini doesn't have handoff/siri + spotlight suggestions

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boiled Water posted:

not terrified of the surfaces themselves necessarily, just the ads

as in he saw the ads and scrambled to push the ipad maxi out the door with a lovely keyboard as a competitor product

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i think you meant to write the maxi ipad.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ipad air 2 is pretty much peak ipad although occasionally i would like a pencil to do diagrams or something with.

the cheapest normal sized ipad pro is $509 on the refurb store and the loving pencil is sold separately for $100 though so lol

brap fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 21, 2017

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
so what is the current state of win10 DPI scaling. is it usable?? what apps support it and what apps don't?

like hands down my favorite thing about macs is how clean everything looks because of retina (this post brought to u from a 27" iMac)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the os ui and any apps that aren't using decade old/snowflake ui frameworks scale fine

jimmy's first LOB foxpro app that's been used sans updates since 1996 will not scale right, and you'll have tiny icons or ui elements that physically can't fit on the display

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

GenJoe posted:

so what is the current state of win10 DPI scaling. is it usable?? what apps support it and what apps don't?

like hands down my favorite thing about macs is how clean everything looks because of retina (this post brought to u from a 27" iMac)

Apps can decide to opt out of display scaling by claiming they will handle it internally. The problem with this is lots of stuff claims to handle it but then doesn't (like all QT based applications) so windows trusts them to scale but then they don't so they show up tiny. For things that don't opt out windows scales them automatically.

infernal machines posted:

the os ui and any apps that aren't using decade old/snowflake ui frameworks scale fine

jimmy's first LOB foxpro app that's been used sans updates since 1996 will not scale right, and you'll have tiny icons or ui elements that physically can't fit on the display

as long as jimmys first lob FoxPro app uses win32 apis it will work fine. if jimmy used some 3rd party ui framework its gonna be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

GenJoe posted:

Half of my apps didn't work. I work in an academic setting.

• Locked thread