Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Not as bad as when I found Frostbite on like D5 and then died a couple floors later.

I have found this once in my entire time of Crawl (from an Ice Cave!) and after steamrolling I did the wrong thing and tried to do Hell where I lost it never to be seen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Playing a Hopkin of IJC. Found evocable blinking early on. I'm blinking, hopping, and wall jumping. Bouncy as gently caress.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I was trying out Depths for the first time and got utterly ruined by a swarm of some kind of acidic bird in Depths 2. I thought I was pretty good, beating up armies of various giants and trolls, and having 2 runes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Caustic Shrikes are always bad news. They're basically bees except instead of being fragile and poisonous, they're robust and acidic.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You are basically guaranteed to die to caustic shrikes the first time you encounter them.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nuclearmonkee programmed some advanced machine code for me to insert into the crawl file so now I don't have to press spacebar as I slam tab. My killing speed has increased by over 200%. By killing speed I mean both me and the enemies.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Decrepus posted:

Nuclearmonkee programmed some advanced machine code for me to insert into the crawl file so now I don't have to press spacebar as I slam tab. My killing speed has increased by over 200%. By killing speed I mean both me and the enemies.

This would be really good in that portal that's just 50 kobolds spamming tomohawks of returning.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I really do wish mid combat --more-- was limited to poo poo likely to be important. Instead you're just going to tab-spacebar your way past everything, which defeats the point of having --more--s in the first place.

e: Hey, a logical change!

quote:

Swap Gravitas and Portal Projectile

Arcane Marksmen now get access to Portal Projectile in the Book of
Debilitation. Warpers get access to Gell's Gravitas in their starting
Book of Spatial Translocations.

This should help better unify the theme of both books and starts: Arcane
Marksmen get access to spells that are focused around keeping the enemy
away (Slow, Cause Fear, Liquefaction) and improving their ranged attacks
(Corona, Inner Flame, Portal Projectile). All spells Warpers get now are
focused on repositioning themselves or others.

Gravitas wasn't very successful in the AM book since other spells
already do what it does much more effectively and efficiently. Encouraging
Warpers into ranged with Portal Projectile was kind of weird, given that
that background should be item-agnostic for the most part.
I never understood why AM didn't get PProj, but now I don't have to.

(Does anyone use gell's, ever? I doubt putting it in the Warper book will change that)

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 21, 2017

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is the IJC in Trunk or just the CouncilGod experimental?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

It is in trunk proper now. It's Fun!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Serephina posted:

100% your own drat fault? We just had a conversation on how comically unlikely it is to get hosed by cursed items in modern day crawl. You literally tried on a item of unknown curse status, knowing you had no remove curse scrolls, in the middle of combat no less.

Or maybe I'm misreading your post and you're actually being self-deprecating - Then yes, good work, you don hosed up, put a frame on it!

Yeah, this was mostly being frustrated with myself and the terrible item luck.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
If I'm bored with MiBe and Demonspawn, should I consider Formicid?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Ability to wield a double-handed weapon and a shield? Permanent stasis so you can just laugh at *rage *tele *slow maluses? sInv from the get go? The ability to carve murder holes whenever you want?

Antmen are pretty fun buddy. Until you get cornered after playing tab-master and realise you have no way to escape.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

"Son, be a gargoyle," Is what dad said to me. "It's an easy run and you'll get tons of armor class for free"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like FoAK. The blink and abyss-yourself abilities make up for the issues with stasis. And the other Lugonu abilities are fun too.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
who needs to "escape" when you have finesse

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Can formicids wear 2 pairs of gloves? Asking for a fiend.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
no, presumably they put 2 weird ant hands into one glove like a big weird mitten

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nah man, they're antenna warmers. The finger sections let them signal their current mood! :downs:

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

FulsomFrank posted:

Antmen are pretty fun buddy. Until you get cornered after playing tab-master and realise you have no way to escape.
You can always go down. Just keep shafting!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Unless you at a branch end. Then ya just die.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue//Speleothing/morgue-Speleothing-20170221-202559.txt

You'd think a dude with the absolute maximum stealth possible would be able to get some stabbing in without waking up the whole first chamber. RIP best spriggan yet.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Reminder that every single monster in your Line of Sight makes a check to notice you when it's their turn and asleep. All it takes is just one failure and the whole lung is awake and casting about.

Nice quickblade, though! And I would recommend next time downing a potion of haste before you're set upon by all those death cobs. And maybe train up Invocations more so you could use their ability to Shadow Form reliably and maybe get away alive.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Haifisch posted:

(Does anyone use gell's, ever? I doubt putting it in the Warper book will change that)
Gells is a weird spell. It's hexes/translocations which are not schools most characters really want to go deep into, it's pretty dependant on spellpower to be really useful, and it's situational in that you need a damage cloud to pull enemies into or 3-4+ enemies clumped up to bang together for it to do anything. Even being in the warper book instead of AM won't really make it a great start, you can't go deep into those spells hoping Gells alone can carry you.

If you do fulfill those conditions (imo your best bet is playing an enchanter for hexes and hoping you find gells in a floor book) it is actually a surprisingly effective AoE damage spell when the conditions are met. If you encounter say 6-7 yaks and a hydra it's pretty easy to crush the hydra and severely damage/kill the surrounding yaks while also stopping the groups advance.

Also the comedy zig option, if you have max power and every square is filled it's a 3 mana firestorm that ignores resistances.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
Getting a 100% crash in my current 0.19.3 save when i attempt to go from (cleared) elf 3 > 2, it crashes every time i try the stairs. No crash log generated. SEND HELP

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Darox posted:

Gells is a weird spell. It's hexes/translocations which are not schools most characters really want to go deep into

Gell's Gravitas is Translocations only as of yesterday.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Matty posted:

Getting a 100% crash in my current 0.19.3 save when i attempt to go from (cleared) elf 3 > 2, it crashes every time i try the stairs. No crash log generated. SEND HELP

Surviving Elf is resulting in an Unexpected State error.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

tote up a bags posted:

PLEASE make it that Cynos are hypnotised by Natasha

This gives me an idea as an alternative to Shoutitis: You have an x% chance to become mesmerized by a monster when they enter view. However, I think that might be too strong of an effect in that you randomly get screwed in an early fight. A Tavern poster also seperately suggested a Cause Fear species ability: I would probably add on making it cause a loud noise and cause Breath or Exhaust, as well as basing power off of XL, but I'm not sure if giving it as a starting species ability is too powerful (even with the noise downside). I could also combine both ideas and let the Cause Fear ability break the mesmerize, but if I add both I fear I might be making things too gimmicky (and I'm leaning more towards the Cause Fear than the mesmerize). Any comments on whether they should get one or the other, both, or neither if the species is good enough as is flavor wise?

As a separate note, #crawl-dev brought up two criticisms about clarity/good design issues with the species as is that I think I should make sure are addressed before making a push towards trying to get them added to Trunk. First, that designing the soft cap system around breakpoints is something that Crawl has been trying to get rid of for a while, and adding something else with breakpoints might not be a good idea. Second, that there isn't good player clarity in regards to when the aptitudes get reduced, and by how much, without looking at the code.

I'm not concerning myself about the first criticism at the moment. I feel that, even though the aptitude decreases are hard changes at specific skill levels, the effective amount of experience spent per skill level as it tapers off works more like a soft curve than a hard breakpoint like weapon skill currently is. Another reason is that it would take another system rework to find a solution that solves both this issue and the "running out of skills" issue that the hard skill cap system had.

I do think the second criticism may have some merit, which I may be oblivious to being already familiar with the system. Current information displayed to the player is their current aptitude per skill, the amount of skill points it costs per level (through the existing approximate skill cost system in the skill menu), and a message that appears whenever the aptitude increases/decreases as it hits one of the level breakpoints. However, it currently does not present which levels are the breakpoints, nor does it inform the player how much the aptitude drops at each breakpoint. The only current explanation is the custom mutation "You have a short attention span.", and the manual explanation of "This comes at the cost of a poor attention span, making it more difficult to train a skill the higher it gets." On one hand, there aren't defined numbers for when species mutations occur for any other species; even Draconians don't have a specific number reference to which level they gain a color, which is an intricate part of the species. On the other hand, most species mutations are beneficial, so having one that creates negative effects that aren't immediately observable may require more information displayed in some fashion to the user. Thus, I'm wondering if A) this is an issue and B) if it is, how to provide this specific information without breaking immersion.

Edit: Draconians do have it mentioned, and I am dumb for missing it :downs:

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 22, 2017

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Is there no way to display it like a manual bonus? ~My immersion~ dictates that I should see numbers representing relative skill costs in the skill screen.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010

Unimpressed posted:

Surviving Elf is resulting in an Unexpected State error.

Poisonous cloud is a hell of a thing. and i'm sad it no longer exists in 0.20 :rip: i'll be pissed if i can't fix this save, as not only did i survive elf, but there is also a treasure trove i have the item for! (ike 3 branches away, whelp.)

Onto actual questions, i found wyrmbane in this game and the wiki is a little unclear.. it upgrades as you kill dragons based on hd right? the thing is, the first dragon i killed with it was Bai Suzhen (20 hd i think?) this only made the lance go from +8 > +9. based on what the wiki says, does this mean it now won't upgrade if i kill any dragon below 20 hd now?

Matty fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 22, 2017

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
It upgrades as long as the victim's HD is higher than the current enchantment, so for example at +12 you need to kill dragons with HD higher than 12. It caps out at +18.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Gell's Gravitas is Translocations only as of yesterday.
Oh.

I kinda think that actually manages to make the spell worse. Generally speaking I don't think characters want to put much experience into translocations unless they are going all the way to cBlink. Blink is cheap and ignores power, apportation and pproj also don't really need much power. I don't know how much people use dispersal/disjunction but they're definitely not big draws for me. Gells at minimum investment isn't very good but Gells also isn't good enough to justify going heavily into translocations for its own sake.

Meanwhile hexes has a ton of useful mid level spells so you could push the power of Gells up by just dabbling in translocations while still progressing to other useful spells.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I actually invest in translocations a lot. This is partly because I really like using malign gateway. Also even if I'm not aiming for cBlink I want passge of golubria at as low a failure rate as possible.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I play a lot of warpers and would love to see more spell options for translocations. Placement is really important in Crawl, and warping stuff is just a neat idea in general. If only there were some high level spell worth working toward...maybe....you could call it....Singularity??

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
While I rarely invest past the minimum into translocations myself, it is a different story for my more warrior-focused warpers. With a limited selection of spells, I find myself using teleport other to break up yak packs, for instance.

In other words, I'm at least more likely to try it out now, although I'm skeptical I'll like it. Once I lose any chance at a streak, I'll try it out on an ogre warper and see how much I forget it even exists

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I play a lot of warpers and would love to see more spell options for translocations. Placement is really important in Crawl, and warping stuff is just a neat idea in general. If only there were some high level spell worth working toward...maybe....you could call it....Singularity??
you're thinking of controlled blink, dispersal, and disjunction.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

brainwrinkle posted:

Is there no way to display it like a manual bonus? ~My immersion~ dictates that I should see numbers representing relative skill costs in the skill screen.

Here's how the skill screen currently looks:

Here's the message that appears when you hit one of the skill level breakpoints:

And, in case you're an Ashenzari worshipping Cyno, here's what happens when you Transfer Knowledge and drop below one of the skill level breakpoints:

The criticism is based on the fact that, despite this information, the player has no in-game accessible knowledge of when these breakpoints will occur, nor how much the aptitude will be affected, until it happens. I'm wondering if this is a valid complaint that a player (casual or inexperienced with the species) could be caught off guard about, or if this can be comparable to species mutations/draconian colors (where the XL can be known by looking up out of game resources, but isn't referenced at all within the game itself). If the former, I need to figure out a way to communicate this information to the player in a way that does not break immersion/flat out throw the numbers in their face and expect them to understand it.

Edit: Draconians do mention it, I am dumb :downs:

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 22, 2017

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's seems easy enough to realize what's happening, like Draconians.

At most it could use a force_more if it seems like it might get lost in the message log.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Cyno FR: when a monster with sufficiently higher HD than XL appears in LOS, slow movement down on account of tail being between legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Cyno FR: Racial evokable Clarity effect that generates very high noise.

Confused? Bark!
Angry? Bark!
Hypnotised? Bark!

• Locked thread