Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

pig slut lisa posted:

lmao that's awesome.

I remember one time in grad school I was at the library and a guy in the adjacent study carrel was clearly making some kind of bank transaction so I wrote down his name, birthday, SSN, and credit card info as he read them out loud. After he concluded his phone call I handed him the paper with his info and said "hey, you might not want to say all these things out loud in public in the future."

I work in a library, and I once had to stop a guy multiple times from giving me his SSN over the phone so I could "do the thing rental places do and check his credit report for him." People also want me to google up their W2's.

My underwater archaeology professor was probably my favorite teacher. I majored in archaeology partially because the professors were so awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

lmao that's awesome.

I remember one time in grad school I was at the library and a guy in the adjacent study carrel was clearly making some kind of bank transaction so I wrote down his name, birthday, SSN, and credit card info as he read them out loud. After he concluded his phone call I handed him the paper with his info and said "hey, you might not want to say all these things out loud in public in the future."

Christ I get super uncomfortable and quiet even reading the last 4 digits of my SSN out loud within earshot of anyone else how do people just not care at these levels.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Accretionist posted:

What are utilities like for a remote cabin? And nearest hospital?

Plus if it is truly remote and away from neighbors and roads, it's gonna get busted into so you can't keep anything particularly nice there. Source: relatives own cabins in Eastern Washington.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It takes four years to finish a nautical science degree. The graduating classes four years after Titanic came out are twice the normal size, and the usual graduation rate is about 25%.

Why you'd decide to go work at sea after watching Titanic, I have no idea, but there it is. On the plus side, those people had jobs on graduation.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Frankly, I blame my school district for the sudden draw of marine biology. In the late 90s - early 2000s, there was a lot of funding available for schools to increase science education, and marine biology was a way to make science seem cool.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

If I would have even HEARD OF systems engineering as a teenager, I don't think I would have ever ended up being an anesthesiologist, but as is I'm cursed to walk this Earth knocking out the frail and sick to be hacked to pieces by my colleagues, the surgeons.

I don't think you belong in this thread being an anesthesiologist. Isn't that about the highest paid position at a hospital outside of C level jobs?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Golluk posted:

I don't think you belong in this thread being an anesthesiologist. Isn't that about the highest paid position at a hospital outside of C level jobs?

Don't nurse anesthetists make more than anesthesiologists?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

NancyPants posted:

lol, no.

Golluk posted:

lol, no, but believe me I have ample personal and professional accounts of people being bad with money.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Either way, according to this, anesthesiologists make a fuckton http://www1.salary.com/Anesthesiologist-Salary.html

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

NancyPants posted:

Not even close.

They make about 1/3 of what a high-end anesthesiologist does.

Generally, anything with "nurse" as a prefix makes much less money than the following title.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Golluk posted:

Sadly, being high-income means you are shielded from many of the impacts of BWM, but not from being BWM.

I have a friend who is a GP and married to a pharmacist. Their household income is somewhere between 350 and 450k.

They still have to juggle credit cards to find ones with "space" whenever they make a purchase more than $100 because they have a 3 million dollar house, 3 car leases, and are dangerously close to 6-figures a year in spending on childcare, Montessori school tuition, and private kindergarten.

They also constantly make tone-deaf posts on Facebook about being broke and taxes.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not even close.

They make about 1/3 of what a high-end anesthesiologist does.

Generally, anything with "nurse" as a prefix makes much less money than the following title.

To be fair, NAs still make bank

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Not a Children posted:

To be fair, NAs still make bank

It is a very good field, and I like and respect all the CRNAs (don't abbreviate this, they get upset, NAs usually indicate nursing assistants, basically low-level orderlies) with whom I work.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sadly, being high-income means you are shielded from many of the impacts of BWM, but not from being BWM.

I have a friend who is a GP and married to a pharmacist. Their household income is somewhere between 350 and 450k.

They still have to juggle credit cards to find ones with "space" whenever they make a purchase more than $100 because they have a 3 million dollar house, 3 car leases, and are dangerously close to 6-figures a year in spending on childcare, Montessori school tuition, and private kindergarten.

They also constantly make tone-deaf posts on Facebook about being broke and taxes.

Thread delivers!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

lol, no, but believe me I have ample personal and professional accounts of people being bad with money.

Well don't keep us waiting, I've got this semi that needs finishing off before I can put it away.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

potee posted:

I think it has something to do with dolphins, which if they were a thing outside of aquariums would absolutely be the aquatic version of the proverbial BWM horse.
Riding a horse can give a young girl her first orgasm.
"Riding" a dolphin would lead to them literally destroying your pelvis with their footlong dick and crazy musculature.

...this is the thread for this, right :ohdear:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My cousin married an anesthesiologist. She was making 7 figures I believe. Then her company decided to cash out and sell their cartel that leased themselves out to local hospitals for a big lump sum. Except the new owners gave them sign-or-walk contracts that cut their comp by two thirds and kept the non-compete contracts with all their old customers. Owned. So they retired and moved to Australia.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Here's some personal BWM for you: our very last year of medical training, by this point well over $400,000 in student loan debt, my wife and I elected to have a twenty five thousand dollar wedding and a four thousand dollar honeymoon we "paid for" ourselves on credit cards, some interest free but much of it riding on APR interest rates. We had literally zero dollars in savings, and were living with, like $800 each in our checking accounts and decided we wouldn't ask family for money. Instead of gifts or money, we had our guests donate to charity with the understanding we'd be earning "soon enough" to justify it. We proceeded to then get pregnant within a year and had a baby, delaying my wife's entry into her staff job 3 months while she took maternity. To top it off, before we even paid down our credit cards, I went out and bought her a NEW (ugh) $70,000 car with just my first month's paycheck to get approved for an auto loan. Also before we had even paid off credit card debt, we'd gone out and bought a house with zero down on 2 (actually relatively reasonably structured) ARMs stacked on top of each other (and were so cash poor that I wasn't sure we would have cash to put up earnest money), but by this point I was reading BFC on the regular and things were looking up.

Being really high earning and living on a budget swings things pretty rapidly the other way toward being VGWM, but that's not what this thread is about. You came here for the red meat!

edit: I will never forget the day someone in BFC pointed out to me what carrying interest on a credit card was doing every month to our cash flow and it was like this light flipped on. Doctors are human beings just like everyone else and it's really easy to justify bad behavior when you've been delaying gratification so long and you see all your peers with their whole lives developing while you're in this arrested development. The resource I read that really made up my mind was "the Millionaire Next Door," just wish I'd read it before I bought our car.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 21, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Poison Cake posted:

Beanie Babies as an investment. Defending Beanie Babies as an investment. Filling your bedroom with ugly plastic bins to keep your Beanie Babies in pristine condition.

I realize I'm quoting a post from the first page, but have a story to share.

My grandparents were quite well off financially and went all in on the Beanie Babies fad. When cleaning out their house, I discovered a walk-in closet (6x12) filled with plastic bins floor to ceiling. Each bin was filled with Beanie Babies. I quit counting when I got to 10000. The family picked out the handful they liked and the rest ended up on consignment at a collectibles shop. I think we ended up getting $1k for them.

The trick to collectibles is to avoid bandwagons.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Goober Peas posted:

I realize I'm quoting a post from the first page, but have a story to share.

My grandparents were quite well off financially and went all in on the Beanie Babies fad. When cleaning out their house, I discovered a walk-in closet (6x12) filled with plastic bins floor to ceiling. Each bin was filled with Beanie Babies. I quit counting when I got to 10000. The family picked out the handful they liked and the rest ended up on consignment at a collectibles shop. I think we ended up getting $1k for them.

The trick to collectibles is to avoid bandwagons.

Beanie Babies make me so INCREDIBLY sad - I lost my Mom relatively young (car accident) and when she passed the sum total of her "retirement" assets were a paid off house (GWM), a paid off car (OKWM), a 1/4 funded pension (BWM) and a stock of BBs with literally no BBs of value (SBWM).

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Beanie Babies make me so INCREDIBLY sad - I lost my Mom relatively young (car accident) and when she passed the sum total of her "retirement" assets were a paid off house (GWM), a paid off car (OKWM), a 1/4 funded pension (BWM) and a stock of BBs with literally no BBs of value (SBWM).

Yeah, I just did the math. Best case scenario there was $50k spent in that closet that yielded $1k.

They make me sad too :smith:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Goober Peas posted:

Yeah, I just did the math. Best case scenario there was $50k spent in that closet that yielded $1k.

They make me sad too :smith:

Beanie Babies and Inheritance are both super sad for me.

My parents spent 3k ($300 each) on 10 Princess Diana Beanie Babies that are worth nothing today as Christmas presents for me, my brothers, and cousins.

They also sunk all their money into a business that lost money for 6 years and they had to eventually sell. But they owned the building and as long as the business stays there they get 6k a month in rent and have a 4k a month mortgage that ends in two years.

My dad had a heart attack recently and sat me down to go over his will. One of my brothers is a heroin addict and the other one has learning disabilities, tourette's syndrome, 50k in student loan debt from one year of art school, and no employment history in his late 20's.

I had a very high-paying job before, but left to take a much lower paying government job in a much lower COL area.

My parents bought a trailer in the middle of nowhere and want me to pay the lot fees, utilities, and taxes on it for my brothers so they don't end up homeless and dead. I also have to manage and dispense their spending money. I can take a salary from the estate to pay for doing some of it.

This whole plan is also contingent on that 6k a month from the lease. There isn't really a backup plan.

I foresee a lot of stress and bad things happening in 10-15 years with this set-up.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Why did we have to take this hard left into Feelsville :smith:

MenschMaschine
Jun 10, 2009

Halb Wesen und halb Ding
:roboluv:
...aber oho!

Sundae posted:

a pirate in an ice cream truck
Hold on...Sundae, is this you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJVmu6yttiw

quote:

I luckily am expecting a liter of AKC dogs
I buy all my animals by the gallon; it's much cheaper.

Syntax Erin
Jan 1, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Why did we have to take this hard left into Feelsville :smith:

It's inevitable, since money is inherently linked to survival and self-worth.

quote:

My parents spent 3k ($300 each) on 10 Princess Diana Beanie Babies that are worth nothing today as Christmas presents for me, my brothers, and cousins.
Just look at the varying prices on these. Some people are selling them for under $5-10, while some other shady mother fuckers are trying to sell them for $600, $1000+, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...e+baby&_sacat=0

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
lol there are multiples of them listed for $500k-$600k+ wtf

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Barry posted:

lol there are multiples of them listed for $500k-$600k+ wtf

Auction House barons trying to bump up the auctioneer average item price so they can cash out their bank full of beanies.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Auction House barons trying to bump up the auctioneer average item price so they can cash out their bank full of beanies.

I had to check that I wasn't in the WoW forum for a moment.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Hoodwinker posted:

I had to check that I wasn't in the WoW forum for a moment.

:same:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Ebay is my favourite WoW mini-game.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

My best friend in elementary school wanted to be a marine biologist. It's kinda weirding me out that this was some zeitgeist thing in the 80s/90s.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Good friend of mine has 2 marine bio degrees. Don't think he's ever used them professionally, he's in IT these days.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mr. Fix It posted:

My best friend in elementary school wanted to be a marine biologist. It's kinda weirding me out that this was some zeitgeist thing in the 80s/90s.

Blame Jaws, except instead of swimming with dolphins, they wanted to hunt sharks :black101:

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

My sister briefly wanted to be a marine biologist in elementary school (early 90s). It might even be preserved in one of her yearbooks. I'm convinced that this was entirely due to the influence of a commercial (McDonalds I think), where kids are saying what they wanted to be when they grew up. A prominent answer was "marine biologist." Does anyone else remember this commercial?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Marine Biology was imprinted into 80s/90s kids brains due to it literally being in the zeitgeist. I mean look at this:

The Voyage of the Mimi (1984)
The Second Voyage of the Mimi (1988)
The Little Mermaid (1989)
Free Willy (1993)
Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home (1995)
Flipper (the tv show, 4 seasons starting 1995)
Flipper (1996)
Free Willy 3: The Rescue (1997)

e: forgot the flipper tv show

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
And not least of all, of course, George Constanza

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I have a friend that got a marine biology degree and spend his summers wading in rivers and tidal pools during undergraduate. He's now an officer for NOAA and follows Wright whales.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My buddy is a pilot for the Air Force with a Wildlife and Fisheries Science degree.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Factor Mystic posted:

Marine Biology was imprinted into 80s/90s kids brains due to it literally being in the zeitgeist. I mean look at this:

The Second Voyage of the Mimi (1988)
The Little Mermaid (1989)
Free Willy (1993)
Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home (1995)
Flipper (the tv show, 4 seasons starting 1995)
Flipper (1996)
Free Willy 3: The Rescue (1997)

e: forgot the flipper tv show

Yeah, I totally get why it would be in the zeitgeist, it's just feels weird to me because I was somehow shielded from the knowledge that 1 in 3 kids wanted to be a marine biologist. It's a sense of "now how on Earth did I miss that?"

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Factor Mystic posted:

I was going to ask if they were still showing this to kids. I know that we had a sudden spike in marine biology interest after our class saw that, but it's been a while back now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
As a kid, astronaut and garbage man were both on the potential career list. In retrospect, the saddest was when I told my mom I wanted to be a grad student like my dad so that I could see him.

:smith:

• Locked thread