Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Qrr posted:

Hmm, so Kyrie remembers seeing the golden light and the pit traps. But none of them mentioned it on the phone, so if everyone in the dungeon dies then this could still just be made up, even Kyrie's inner thoughts.

My thought as well. Especially when they make the point of having everyone in each room talk to everyone in the other room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: Mind

However, just as Krauss had worried, there was nothing that could be done about the beautiful wide window in the first floor lounge. If someone broke that, it would be easy to get inside. It wouldn't be hard for someone like Kinzo, who hadn't hesitated at committing murder, to invade the first floor.

"I-I have heard that the Master has a collection of working guns. That's right, guns, that was a gun... If so, it must have been a horribly powerful gun...! W-We can't contend with that at all...!"
"...It takes a lot of force to smash someone's head open, right? So it might be a magnum bullet or something like that. That'd probably go through a flimsy door like it was nothing."
"If so, then that's even more of a reason to hold out in our room... Let's slide a bed in place, and block the window too. If we do that much, then no matter how many guns they've got, they shouldn't be able to raid us."
"Crap, all we can do is this passive, one-sided defense. Dammit, dealing a finishing blow to Dad, and even capturing Kyrie, that's gonna cost you, you drat geezer...!"
"I-I-I-Impossible, there's no way we can compete with them...!! Besides, it's not just the Master, he has his underlings too! Th-There might even be more of them...! Just what... are they...?"

Battler was filled to the brim with the urge to get revenge for Rudolf... and to rush out of here to save Kyrie. But just by looking at how terrified Gohda was, there was no doubt in him that this would be reckless...

"Of course, I'm torn up about it too. It's not like I can remain calm with both of my parents murdered. But specifically because of that, I have to remain calm! Do you think our dead parents would want us to die in vain? There's no way they would! They'd want for at least their children to escape. So I will survive. And I'll report this to the police and uncover everything. I'll leave my enemies to the courts. That is my revenge. There's no way our parents would want us to die taking revenge for them. Right...?"
"...You're right... It's just as you say..."
"...Dammit, you old bastard, what's this about a ceremony...?! If we're supposed to be sacrifices for something like that, then we'll escape no matter what it takes, ruining this precious ritual of yours..."
"That's right. Besides, you still have Kyrie-san, Battler-kun. And I still have Shannon. Anyway, let's be cautious and wait for our chance. Any careless actions on our part might just end up causing harm to those who have been captured."
"...Hostages, huh? But Grandfather captured them so he could use them as sacrifices, right?! If we don't go and save them, then are we just waiting for them to get killed?!"
"We don't even know where the dungeon they're being held in is...! Shannon and Kanon-kun didn't know about it, and of course Gohda-san and Kumasawa-san didn't know either. The possibility that they're in a secret location that only Grandfather knows of is incredibly high. Under these circumstances, aimlessly wandering about would be practically suicidal!"
"...I-I understand... But still, dammit, are you saying the only thing we can do is stay confined here until something happens...?"

"Grandfather has a number of subordinates, and they're all armed, correct...?"
"...Y-Yes, he does. And they're probably... all armed..."

Gohda had been able to say that Kinzo had comrades with him, but he hadn't been able to mention that they were mostly young women, like witches, who had used strange magic to murder. If he had said that, it would only have cast doubt on his sanity... No, not only that, he himself still couldn't understand what he had seen, and was doubting his own sanity. But, regardless of sex or appearance, regardless of whether it was done with magic or a gun. The fact that those girls had followed Kinzo's orders... and killed six people in an instant... was an unshakable truth...

If that group came to attack the guesthouse as well, what would happen? Just closing the doors and windows like this was surely meaningless... Gohda... and Kumasawa... The only thing left for those two, who had witnessed that massacre in the dining hall, was to cradle their heads without knowing how to interpret what they had seen...

"H-Hohohohohoh... Thank you very much, thank you... I'm sorry, but may I be left with my thoughts for a little while...?"

Maria tried to be nice, but it seemed that Kumasawa still hadn't been able to clear away her confusion.

"...Maria, thanks for being so considerate. Let's let Kumasawa-san rest for now."
"...Uu-."

Jessica was also worried about the shock those two must have received after witnessing such a tragedy, but her wildest dreams couldn't even come close to the unbelievable scene Kumasawa had witnessed... Nevertheless, with her mother murdered and her father captured, it wasn't as though Jessica could stay calm either. She sealed her anxiety and sadness using her anger towards Kinzo... and walked irritatedly around the room.

BGM: Voiceless

"...Y-Yes... I've never seen such a... horrible way to die before..."
"Is it possible that she's still alive... and that if we fix her up, we could save her...?"
"...I-It's not possible for a person to have something like that done to their head... and live..."
"...Yeah, you're right... There's no need for first aid... once your head's smashed, usually..."

When Gohda had come flying into the guesthouse, he had, overcome with agitation, told about the massacre in the dining hall without concealing anything... Except for the part about witches and magic, which they themselves still couldn't believe. In other words, he hadn't even sugarcoated the cold-blooded way in which Natushi and the others had died. It was too late now, but Kumasawa regretted the fact that they'd obviously said too much...

However, while lightly shaking her head and with a slightly painful laugh, Jessica spoke.

"...Actually, thanks to what you told us, I was able to stay level-headed. If you'd avoided mentioning the part about her head being smashed, I would've thought she might still be alive. Then I would've run off towards the mansion, met Grandfather, and I might've gotten killed. That sliver of hope could've been fatal in the end... So I'm grateful."
"...I'm truly sorry... I'm so sorry we didn't choose our words more carefully..."
"Don't worry about that now. There's nothing we can do for Mom, but Dad's still alive. Kanon-kun and Shannon, and Aunt Kyrie and Doctor Nanjo too. I want to save them somehow, so we shouldn't do anything unnecessary that might make things worse for them. The most helpful thing we can do right now might be to wait by the phone."

They might receive a phone call asking them to create a diversion while the others escaped. Or, the others might discover their location and call for rescue. Jessica understood that in order to act promptly when that time came, the only thing they could do for the time being was to wait in this room...

BGM: Dead Angle

Each was holding various objects. George had things like drinks, canned food, crackers, and other types of snacks he had found in the lounge and a storage room, as well as a first aid kit. They were all consumables that would be essential during a seige. Gohda had a large folding ladder and carpentry tools. Those were to seal the door from the inside, just in case. If it came to it, the ladder was for escaping out the window.

Battler had brought up objects that could be used as edged weapons or poles. In addition to the obvious kitchen knife, there was a dissembled table leg that could be used as a club... and a pole roughly the size of a person, which he'd apparently made by taking apart a hat stand. Even though the pole had no point, it could surely be used like a spear.

There was a good chance that their enemies had guns, so it was dubious whether these would be of any use. But it was still better than not having them, and if having these could give them at least a little peace of mind, then they'd be useful for their calming effect. Then, the bed and sofa were placed up against the door, barricading it. They didn't go so far as to seal it up with nails. There was still a chance that Krauss and the others would escape and come to meet up with them.

They had apparently set up a barricade at top of the stairs as well. It had been set up in a way that would create a racket, so it would serve as a warning alarm as well. That had apparently been Battler's idea. For that reason, they turned the TV off. This way, if the first floor window were to be broken, they would hear. Once the switch had been turned, all that was left was an eerie silence.

The boat would come tomorrow morning. However, judging by the weather report, most of tomorrow was going to be covered in the typhoon, and the boat probably wouldn't come. The typhoon was set to pass by in the morning of the day after tomorrow. In other words, the boat would be arriving in the morning after next, the morning of October 6th. And right now, it was late at night on October 4th. They would have to spend more than 30 hours on this island, with Kinzo turned cold-blooded murderer and his weird companions prowling about...

Even with the shutters closed, there would definitely be a little bit of light seeping out. It might let the enemy know that they were hiding here. Battler suggested that it might be best to turn off the lights. But they had already been overwhelmed by a ghastly feeling just from turning the TV off. There wasn't anyone who directly challenged his proposal, but then again, there wasn't a single other person who agreed with it...

"Yeah, sorry, but you'll have to bear with it. We can't just let the sound of the enemy breaking in slip by."
"...Boring."

Even though she had been told of her mother's death, Maria alone didn't feel an approaching sense of danger. She just seemed to be upset that the TV had been turned off. Even though she's in such a bizarre situation, can she not share in our sense of danger? Is it because she's so young? To Battler, even this faintly unsettling feeling from such a young girl made him sense that there was something very eerie about Maria...

BGM: None

"...Unfortunately, they're tougher than expected. I don't know when these were made, but there's no problem with their lifetime guarantee. These truly were built rather well."

Kyrie chuckled softly. They had no moves they could make, but she had calmed just a little.

"...This place is just like the capture pile of a chess game. So, are there no remaining moves left to us...?"
"Not yet. It's still too early to give up. If we stop thinking, we might as well stop breathing, right?"
"Exactly. Chess pieces in the capture pile may serve no purpose, but in shogi, they can be quite significant. Just one captured pawn should be able to put pressure on the opponent."
"I see... But still, there's nothing that can be done about these bars..."
"For us, maybe. But, if we can figure out where this is and contact Gohda-san, he might be able to come and save us."
"I see... But that would mean putting Gohda-san in danger... And if that happens, I would also be worried about the children in the guesthouse, alone without a full-grown adult male..."
"When you're afraid of risk, it's all right to bide your time until the price starts to go up. However, if you're too afraid to cut your losses, you might end up with just a scrap of paper. Though in this case, that represents our lives."
"And our dignity as parents, right? After talking big like that during the telephone call, telling them that they should behave because we'll manage something on our own, we can't just start asking for help right away. That would be very uncool. *giggle*."
"By this point, I've long since thrown out such useless pride. Why don't we put our heads together? Where is this? Is it really underneath the dining hall? Or else, is it a different place, separate from the mansion...?"

Krauss, Kyrie, and Nanjo began to discuss this further. Kanon was squatting by the bars, silently trying to sense anyone's presence. Just as he had been ordered. Shannon came close to him, and they both squatted down together.

"...Yes. They haven't focused their attention in this direction, but there's somebody relatively close by."
"Is it Human...?"
"...I think it's the goats. Their breathing is rather noisy."

Kanon's ability to sense the presence of others was several levels above that of a Human. He said that their breathing was noisy, but Krauss and the rest couldn't even pick up the slightest hint of it. Therefore, if he had obediently reported it, they would have merely doubted Kanon's ears.

"...They got us, didn't they?"
"...It's rare. To think that they captured us without killing us."
"This time, Beatrice-sama didn't make an appearance. And the Master left his study. I don't have a clue what's going on..."
"I know. Whatever happens or changes, it's all for that witch's fickle entertainment. In the end, nothing will change."
"I wonder if we'll be able to...go to the Golden Land this time."
"Who knows. We have a high rate of losing."

"That may be. But even that's just for the witch's entertainment, I'll bet. I can't think of it as anything other than her letting us live just a little longer to ridicule us, since we usually drop out right in the beginning."
"I wonder... if we'll be unable to reach the Golden Land again."
"I'm sure we won't make it there. If we hold onto any foolish hope, we'll get taken advantage of again."
"*giggle* That's right. Last time, you got taken advantage of, didn't you?"
"...I'm an idiot."

Kanon made a sour look and turned his head. Shannon laughed softly and apologetically leaned towards his shoulder.

"But... I'm glad Milady is safe."
"...She's only escaped from the first twilight. She might just be waiting for an even crueler death later on. What about you, Nee-san? Aren't you glad George-sama's safe? It'd be nice if you two could reach the Golden Land together."
"...Thank you. I wish the same for you and Milady as well."
"I-I wasn't hoping for anything like that. It's just as you say. That witch is only having fun, dangling prizes in front of people and watching them vainly try to get them. I'm sure no one will be able to go to the Golden Land. If I wish to reach the Golden Land with Milady, then that person will find it funny... and will certainly never let us reach that place."
"...You're right. Beatrice-sama is thinking about which order of sacrifices will be the most interesting."
"The whole thing about them being chosen at random is just a blatant lie. That swindling witch... All that about having any wish you want granted in the Golden Land is probably just a lie too."
"...That's not true. The Golden Land is... a wonderful place."
"Have you been there?"
"...Only for a little bit. Though, even that was probably just a joke of Beatrice-sama's."
"...What's it like there?"

BGM: Hope

"A paradise-like place, with roses blooming all over and beautiful butterflies dancing about, or something like that?"
"...It's not a place with a tangible image like that. It's really like the inside of a dream. When you're there, it's very gentle, very peaceful, and you're allowed to sleep as long as you want, like when you wake up early on a day off, lying on a futon. Sunlight comes in through the cracks in the curtains, and you think you'll have to wake up soon, but then you realize it's your day off, and you can go back to sleep... It's a place where you can feel like that."
"I think it'd be wasted on me. Waking up on accident even though it's your day off is something only you would do, Nee-san. Go on?"
"Well, when I was there, it was very satisfying and very calm. When I returned to this world, even though I had just been there a second ago, I couldn't remember it well. It's like when you can't remember a dream you were just having. But I still remember that it was a very calm and quiet world."
"...That's it? What the heck, that Golden Land she's always bragging about isn't anything great at all. I thought it was a place where all your wishes come true."
"That's right. It's a place where all your wishes will be granted. Well, maybe that's not quite it. It might be better to say it's a place where you won't wish for anything. For example, Kanon-kun, if you were cold and wished you had a jacket, you'd be happy to be given one, but if you were in a warm room to begin with, there wouldn't even be a reason to want a jacket, right? That's what the Golden Land is like. There's no need to even wish for most wishes. It's a world where everything is calm."
"You could even say it's a place that transcends the concept that having your wishes granted will bring happiness, a world released from everything."
"...It sounds somewhat like a religious world."
"And there, everything is equal. Anything that can think is equal. There are no Humans, furniture, nor witches. There, I was equal to everyone. There was no longer any need to feel ashamed that I was furniture. It was honestly a happy world where all Humans, and even witches, were equal. I can't really remember it well, but I have the feeling that when I was there, I was equal even to Beatrice-sama, and we were good friends."
"...If that witch is there, it can't be much of a paradise. So, you want to go to that Golden Land with George-sama. How strange. The Golden Land is a utopia where you can be pleased with everything, right? Wouldn't you be content even if George-sama wasn't there?"

"It isn't a happy world?"
"Of course, just by being peaceful, calm, and equal, it's an incredibly happy world. But I guess you could say that it's a world of zero, where you're released from all negative worries. The human world is filled with negatives, so of course a zero world is incredibly happy, but it's still zero. *giggle* What a luxurious problem to have."
"...It's something like this. When you're nodding off on your quiet holiday morning, if the person you love the most is next to you and holding your hand, then it can become an even greater, more wonderful happiness, something like that. Sorry, your Nee-san is too dumb to be any good at analogies."
"...In other words, to you, the greatest happiness would be reaching that world together with George-sama."
"Yes. And surely, for you, it would be reaching that world together with Milady."
"We'll be released from our worries in a fair world...? It's like some kind of strange religion. I'm more worldly-minded. I imagined a world where we would be given some magic medicine, and we could be reborn as Humans, or something more like that."
"...If you go, you'll understand. If Beatrice-sama really is a fickle person, then surely some day, she'll let you get a glimpse of it too. If so, then you'll be able to understand my analogy."
"...Well, I'm not holding my breath. At any rate, it seems like game over for us this time already. I'll hope for another chance."
"...You're right. If we cling to any overambitious hopes, Beatrice-sama will take advantage of us. It might be best to just stop thinking... and let fate take care of us."
"...We can just be simple chess pieces. No matter what we think or don't think, we can't escape from the witch's chessboard. Our role is now just to wait and see how we'll be tortured to death. For us, the dream of the Golden Land is too empty."
"...You're... right. Sorry..."

Kanon shrugged his shoulders, then told Shannon to leave him alone because she was in the way of his duty, distancing himself from her. Realizing her thoughtlessness in bringing up such an inappropriate topic and instead hurting Kanon, Shannon bit her lower lip and stared at the ground... Shannon wouldn't bother him any more. She went off and crouched down in a corner by herself.

"...Nn-"

At that moment, Kanon perked up. It was like the ears of a cat when it reacts to a strange sound.

"What's wrong?"

BGM: Witch of the Painting

"What?!"

They ended their conversation and strained their ears. For a while, they couldn't hear anything, but eventually, they were able to hear the shuffling sounds of a large group of people walking...

"...So they've come."
"Time to pay the piper, or perhaps this is our first and last chance."
"...I shall talk to Kinzo-san. I will try to somehow find out where this place is."
"We're counting on you."

During the last phone call, Kyrie had asked what the time over at the guesthouse was.By doing that, Kyrie had learned that it was the same as her watch, and she had learned that their watches hadn't been set back. It wasn't just the clocks on the walls in the guesthouse. Several people's watches, including George's and Gohda's, had matched.

...If that was the case, then it had only been a few minutes between the time of the massacre in the dining hall and the time they had been transported to the dungeon. Not enough time had passed for them to be knocked out and carried away. Then were those really pitfalls, meaning that this was the area directly under the dining hall...? All that they could do was pray that Nanjo could find out where this was...

"...They're coming. There's probably... four people. The Master... and three of those who appeared in the dining hall."
"That's enough. You come back here as well. We'll deal with the rest."
"Shannon-chan, sorry, but can I have you sit by the phone? Hide it with your skirt."
"Ah, yes...!"

The shuffling came close, and there was the sound of a large door being opened in the hallway. The light they were apparently carrying illuminated the hall, stroking the walls with sharp, razor-like shadows. And then, the light from the lantern they held illuminated the prisoners through the bars.

...The bars' sharp shadows divided them up lengthwise. There were four silhouettes. It was Kinzo, Ronove, Virgilia, and Gaap.

"...Goldsmith?"
"It's Father's pen name. It seems he always signs with it when writing those bizarre grimoires."
"'Kinzo' made English-style? Shouldn't that be Gold Warehouse?"

BGM: The Candles Dance

"...True enough. I apologize for butting in."
"Kinzo-san, just what is going on? Where in the world is this...?"
"Oh, my friend, can't you remember? True, you may have never entered the prison, but you should remember walking through this corridor."
"...Huh... huh? Y-You don't mean..."
"...Do you have an idea?"
"But, well, it is unthinkable. Firstly, we fell through a pitfall and were locked up in here after only a few minutes... Not only is the distance too great, that's physically impossible..."

"Father, is this the mansion? To think that the mansion had a basement like this..."
"Krauuss, wasn't there a place whose existence you all whispered of, and which you followed after me several times trying to find? This is that place. No, to be correct, this is its basement. *cackle*cackle*...!"
"Could this place be... the basement... of Kuwadorian...?!"

"Kuwadorian... You don't mean... Father's rumored hidden mansion...? It really exists...?"
"This mansion was constructed for the sole use of my beloved witch, Beatrice. It's truly a shame that I cannot guide you to the above-ground sections, as it is such a beautiful and elegant mansion."
"...How lovely, just the two of them alone in a mansion with a prison like this. I guess Father's tastes are a bit more than I can stomach."

"*giggle* But I agree. If a mansion I was given had this kind of dungeon in it, that'd shake me out of even a century-long love, and I'd take anything of value and run."
"Pu ku ku. Oh my, so you don't have an interest in this kind of thing? And here I was thinking you went head over heels for it."
"Heheh. Of course I go head over heels. Like if I get a collar or something for a birthday present. But only if he's hot."
"Pu ku ku ku ku!"
"Silence! Perhaps you could use a gag more than a collar right now."
"Oh, you have an interest in that too? You sure aren't picky, Lia. *giggle*..."
"D-Don't just go around shortening people's names on your own...!"
"Enough, you noisy women! Are you telling me you'd like to be locked up in the same cell?"
"I-I apologize, Master... This old body of mine would not be able to stand such a cold prison..."

Virgilia quickly apologized, but Gaap and Ronove merely laughed together. It was like they thought they alone couldn't be imprisoned, or else, that even if someone tried to imprison them, it would be pointless...

"A woman who makes you so insane that you don't want to let her escape, to the point of binding her in chains... Because she was worthy of that, she was a love worth sacrificing my life for. I will not ask you to understand."
"...No one can bind me, I will not be bound. I don't want to be loved, I want to love. I feel the same as Goldsmith. That's why I understand the madness of your love."
"Love and madness are two sides of the same coin, or so they say. How bothersome."
"...But learning where we are so easily was a big step. We'll ask the details later, but it seems you know about this place, right, Doctor Nanjo?"
"Y-Yes... If that hallway is the underground passage beneath Kuwadorian, then if we go straight down it, it will become a long tunnel, and if we stay on that, we should be able to return to the mansion."
"...Then if we could just do something about these bars, we could go home."
"Father... What are you planning to do with us?"
"As I have already declared, you will become sacrifices for the later twilights. There are conveniently five people here. Exactly enough hostages for the five gougings."
"...I see. Then it's time for us to pay the piper?"
"Eventually. That's not why I've come to visit you this time, so relax. Besides, I believe I have said it already. If one of my grandchildren is deemed suitable to inherent everything from me, then the ceremony will be called off. In other words, your lives will be spared."
"...Wh-What are you planning to do to the children?"

"...And if there isn't anyone suitable, what are you planning on doing with the children?"
"*cackle*cackle*cackle*! There's no need to worry about that. After all, you all will be sacrificed first. How could anything that happens after that concern you? Entrust your fates to your own children. Your children, the embodiment of what you've born, taught and raised. They should be the most suitable ones for you to entrust with your fate...! *cackle*cackle*! Don't look so worried, Kraaauss... Believe in the daughter that you brag is worth ten billion yen. Hehheheh, hehhahahahahaha...!!"
"...Exactly. Children are the embodiment of their parents. It's fitting that we put our fates in their hands. That applies even to you, Father, right?"
"...Hmph, hahhahahaha! This girl has guts, what a waste on Rudolf! Wahhahahahaha...!!"
"...Kyrie-san, it would be best not to aggravate him too much."
"I agree. Let's bear with it for now..."
"That's right... After all, we're just fish on the chopping board. There's nothing we can do now."
"Hah, though you can insult me with such vigor. I don't dislike that kind of woman, see? Beatrice was like that too, in the beginning. *cackle*cackle*cackle*!!"

"Ah yes, there was that. Sorry, sorry, my friend. Well then, back to the main event. For that, I've prepared a phone. Shannon, how clever of you. You don't have to hide it any longer. That's something I arranged for. *cackle*cackle*...!"
"M-My apologies..."
"..."

Shannon quickly withdrew herself, and the telephone was revealed...

"Krauss, call the grandchildren in the guesthouse. Tell them of the test... and of the start of my trial."

Ronove motioned for Krauss to pick up the receiver.

"...And if I say no?"

"You'd be lucky to become sacrifices right away. Don't you think it'd be more painful to watch the children get sacrificed first, before your very eyes...?"
"...Ga...ap. The Master is the one who decides the sacrifice order. Don't say things on your own."
"Lia, you just tried to shorten my name, didn't you?"
"I-I did not! And I told you not to shorten other people's names on your own...!"
"...Women truly are..."
"...Noisy. Pu ku ku!"

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Bad Shannon, bad Kanon. Don't LP the game by yourselves.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

ProfessorProf posted:

Gohda had been able to say that Kinzo had comrades with him, but he hadn't been able to mention that they were mostly young women, like witches, who had used strange magic to murder. If he had said that, it would only have cast doubt on his sanity... No, not only that, he himself still couldn't understand what he had seen, and was doubting his own sanity. But, regardless of sex or appearance, regardless of whether it was done with magic or a gun. The fact that those girls had followed Kinzo's orders... and killed six people in an instant... was an unshakable truth...

OK. So the kids in the mansion haven't been told anything about witches, only murders. Good enough for now. They have also been told to barricade themselves in the house, which isn't totally insane, but is also potentially part of the plan, whatever the plan is this time.

ProfessorProf posted:

"Exactly. Chess pieces in the capture pile may serve no purpose, but in shogi, they can be quite significant. Just one captured pawn should be able to put pressure on the opponent."

An interesting point, because as far as I know, in Shogi this applies on behalf of the capturing side, not the captured side - you can put the pawn back into play on your side, instead. (I am not an expert on this game, however, so perhaps there are other possibilities.)

ProfessorProf posted:

"...It's not a place with a tangible image like that. It's really like the inside of a dream. When you're there, it's very gentle, very peaceful, and you're allowed to sleep as long as you want, like when you wake up early on a day off, lying on a futon. Sunlight comes in through the cracks in the curtains, and you think you'll have to wake up soon, but then you realize it's your day off, and you can go back to sleep... It's a place where you can feel like that."

So the Golden Land is home to the best sensation known to humankind; check.

It's interesting that Shannon and Kanon are represented as being aware of the overall structure of the game here.

ProfessorProf posted:

"...Goldsmith?"
"It's Father's pen name. It seems he always signs with it when writing those bizarre grimoires."
"'Kinzo' made English-style? Shouldn't that be Gold Warehouse?"

I REALLY want to see the game here where they're menaced by Mr. Gold Warehouse.

ProfessorProf posted:

"Oh, my friend, can't you remember? True, you may have never entered the prison, but you should remember walking through this corridor."

So we have a secret passage between the obvious mansion and the secret mansion. This makes sense, because Kinzo presumably wasn't going to get his Crazy Man Robes dirty hiking through the countryside to it.

It's interesting that Nanjo knows about it, too. If that's accurate, it presumably makes him complicit in the imprisonment of the human Beatrice, too, whomever she was. (And I'm guessing that's one of the things that's accurate, unlike the demon stuff.)

If the passage exists, that also provides a real-world explanation for how they got where they are - Kinzo and the other servants herded people into the basement with guns and locked them up. (Or just the servants, if Kinzo is actually dead.)

ProfessorProf posted:

"...How lovely, just the two of them alone in a mansion with a prison like this. I guess Father's tastes are a bit more than I can stomach."

"A woman who makes you so insane that you don't want to let her escape, to the point of binding her in chains... Because she was worthy of that, she was a love worth sacrificing my life for. I will not ask you to understand."

Kinzo just ain't getting any less crazy.

ProfessorProf posted:

"You'd be lucky to become sacrifices right away. Don't you think it'd be more painful to watch the children get sacrificed first, before your very eyes...?"

Interesting that they're the prospective sacrifices now. That puts all the potential murder victims conveniently off-screen; the kids haven't even seen any of the bodies yet, only been told about them by the servants, so we have no idea what their real disposition is, if they were killed the way they were claimed to be killed (heads half-exploded with guns), etc. I guess we'll see if Kinzo's test results in additional deaths among the children, though.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

idonotlikepeas posted:

I REALLY want to see the game here where they're menaced by Mr. Gold Warehouse.

Well by the way Kinzo likes changing things to fit his wrestling wizard persona, he'd probably change it to Gold Storage. Realize it's not very menacing either, then change that to Cold Storage. Of course he'd ruin that by recycling the billions of ice/cold related puns that have froze over media.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 20, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

It makes sense that there'd be a tunnel between the mansions; Kinzo and any servants In The Know aren't going to hack their way through the forest every time. And it also explains the Sigil-Painter In White who Gohda saw: they live in Kuwadorian and come and go through some secret entrance to the tunnel.

I'm getting a Jane Eyre vibe from this.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Reading through the last few updates, I hand wrote some notes, so here comes my attempts at coherent thought:

The whole Rosa/Maria/Beatrice scene was very interesting from a character perspective. As other people have pointed out, that's clearly a caricature of Rosa's character. There's love and loathing for Maria, but for some reason only the loathing was expressed. Did that happen in the meta-world or in Maria's dream? The whole Maria's now weird in the real world implies it was in her dream, but I'm inclined to say it's probably both, given the head pains that Rosa was having. Maria couldn't have possibly yet known about the murders because Gohda and Kumasawa hadn't arrived yet. It seems that the meta-narrative and the on island narrative are merging to the extent that all we can really trust is the red text. If Beatrice isn't real, but her character is more an embodiment of abuse as a concept, her motivations make a twisted kind of sense. One moment she's charming and friendly, the next she's sadistic. In the Maria/Rosa scene, I wrote and underlined "Who's the torturer and who's being tortured?". You can make a good argument for every character there. Maria for having to endure the bad witch saying she's not wanted and shouldn't exist. Beatrice for having to enable and watch it all, and presumably she was also in a similar situation when she was alive. And Rosa, for the obvious.

ProfessorProf posted:

"Indeed, how could this level of punishment compare to the bitter days you suffered through?!! Know it, Rosa! Come, try to remember, what form did you have?! Revive in order to be killed!! Be killed over and over, so that your sins can be purified!!!"

This seems like a weird motivational statement that I don't think I understand. It feels like it directly relates to what's going on Rokkenjima, but who's sins are being purified? Beatrice is being revived. But she's not also being killed. And which sins? I'm probably reading too much into a random statement, but it definitely struck me.

I don't have much to say about the prison except some stray thoughts.

1) Why is there a torture chamber in Kuwadorian? I don't want to think about why Kinzo had that built. Kinzo doesn't strike me as the SSC type.
2) Why does Shannon say this:

ProfessorProf posted:

"...I-I wonder if the children are safe..."

It seems very weird for someone ostensibly their age to refer to them as "the children". They're not going to pull a "Shannon's much older that everyone thought" twist on us are they?
3) It seems perfectly reasonable for the watches and the clocks in the guesthouse to have been changed, especially if some of the servants are in on it. I'm not sure what it gains you though, apart from the fact that we probably have to mistrust the timelines in all of the previous episodes. Whenever someone was stated to be somewhere at X time, we can question whether the clocks were right.
4) Lots of drugs can make you dizzy and knock you out. Carbon monoxide, for example. That's a bad example because it's not fast acting enough, but a lot of the weird things being seen could be explained as hallucinations if there are drugs being pumped into the air. (Doesn't explain why everyone hallucinates the same thing though.)

Bonus crazy theory:

5) There are only 18 people on the island because Kuwadorian is actually on a different island which is connected by a tunnel, all of Kinzo's helpers are human and real and live in Kuwadorian.

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's interesting that Nanjo knows about it, too. If that's accurate, it presumably makes him complicit in the imprisonment of the human Beatrice, too, whomever she was. (And I'm guessing that's one of the things that's accurate, unlike the demon stuff.)

I'm 99% sure that he was there for the birth of young Beatrice, who's mother was older human Beatrice, who Kinzo was in love with. It's the only reasonable explanation I can think of as to why he'd have been there.

E: Also, this episode was dramatically improved by brutal murder and imprisonment. The sheer unrelenting bleakness was getting me down.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 21, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ProfessorProf posted:

"Hah, though you can insult me with such vigor. I don't dislike that kind of woman, see? Beatrice was like that too, in the beginning. *cackle*cackle*cackle*!!"

Jesus loving christ. There might've been a possibility in my head Kinzo and original Beatrice started sane but he flips out with obsession - keeping her after she tries to break it off (if we're denying 'summon a witch' but instead it's 'really into his western mistress'), now he implies he outright kidnaps and held her against her will from the very beginning.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
And broke or tried to break her will. He's just so loathsome.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Yami Wo Kirisaku Oh Desire :negative:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Sorry, couldn't resist. (Apologies to John Barry.)

Gold Warehouse
He's the man, the man with the private isle
And creepy smile

One mitten finger
Beckons you to enter his house of sin
But don't go in

Crazy words he'll pile higher and higher
Yami wo kirisaku OH DESIRE
And a golden witch knows when he's kissed her
It's the murder game from Mister
Gold Warehouse

Golden wing
Sacrifice those sheep to God
This cat is odd

Bunny girls will shoot you in the ear
Or perhaps it's just rifles you fear
Let's hope Beatrice don't have a sister
Or it's a private cell
With Mister
Gold Warehouse

Beatrice
Why'd you give gold to this loon?
He wants you back soon

He loves Beatrice
Beatrice
It's illness
It's mental illness
Beatrice
It's illness

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
You're just magical, :drat:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

CottonWolf posted:

It seems very weird for someone ostensibly their age to refer to them as "the children". They're not going to pull a "Shannon's much older that everyone thought" twist on us are they?

The word she used is a respectful term for someone else's children. If I wanted to use a clunky translation it'd be something more like "your esteemed children".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

Sorry, couldn't resist. (Apologies to John Barry.)

Oh, well done!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Sukashiyuri

This aged doctor was Nanjo's son, but the atmosphere about him was very different.

Nanjo's son said that very indifferently.

"...After the accident on that island was taken up by the broadcasts in a most indiscreet manner, even my father, who was Mr. Ushiromiya's doctor and friend, was focused upon by many with a wholly regrettable interest. All of it was without proof, and they even managed to defile all of my father's previous achievements. I still feel a great deal of resentment because of that."

"True. My apologies."

The doctor finally remembered that Ange was also a victim who had been exposed to the same curious eyes as he had been.

"In that case, you can probably understand why I don't want to have anything to do with that incident. That was an unfortunate accident. The only ones who want to make a fuss about it being a crime are those irresponsible TV shows and magazines. I am more than fed up with their attitude."

...Nanjo had been bathed with attention for being one of Ushiromiya Kinzo's few friends. Because of that, there was probably an aggressive and persistent rush among the Witch Hunters and the press to use Nanjo's son as well, a surviving relative, as a source of information. The doctor went on and on, criticizing the press indignantly.

"I really understand how you feel. For a person like me, who was observed even in her personal life, and whose privacy, likeness, and even human rights might have been violated, it's really easy to pick up on the anger of someone in your position."
"...And for that very reason, I want to know, more than anything else, what in the world happened in the incident that so thoroughly ruined my life. So I came here. I'm a related party just like you. Not a magazine columnist or an interviewer. Please, don't get the wrong idea."
"I didn't come to do this for fun. Quit looking down on me. If we're gonna argue over whose life was most screwed up by that incident, you're no match for me."
"...Nng..."

Ange spoke sharply. The doctor, who hadn't imagined that he would be talked back to in such a forceful manner, couldn't help but fall silent. From Ange's perspective, the doctor really was whining over nothing. She really didn't want to be looked down upon. It was about time to let him understand how many days had passed for her before arriving on this island.

The doctor realized that he'd said something wrong and remained silent for a while, looking uncomfortable.

"I visited here today to bring some resolution to my life. I'm 18. That incident took away 12 years of my life. And it'll probably keep on taking. Since that day when I was six years old, I've remained shut away in darkness. Are you saying that despite that, I still don't have a right to know...?"
"...No, how rude of me. It seems that since all the others who came were ill-natured folk, I instinctively put up my guard. I apologize for my rudeness. I understand. If you'll swear not to breathe a word of this to anyone, I'll tell you everything."
"Thanks, Doctor. Then if you would. Please tell me anything you can."

"Just how close were they?"
"Very close, it seems. It seems that their connection through chess led my father to stay at Mr. Ushiromiya's mansion quite often. Although I may not be one to talk, Mr. Ushiromiya was extremely moody. And my father was an exceedingly magnanimous man, who excelled at interacting with humans like him. It's not hard to imagine that he was a rare friend for the isolated Mr. Ushiromiya."
"That day was the day of the family conference. At the Ushiromiya family conference, the inheritance and how it would be distributed were rigorously discussed, making it almost like a financial conference. Which means Doctor Nanjo must have gained a trust so great that he was asked to attend even that, right...?"

"He was most likely called there to assist with Mr. Ushiromiya's health, because it was not at its best at the time. As Kinzo's close friend, I'm sure my father would have kept his mouth shut, and that he was trusted not to leak the secrets of the family conference."
"...Wasn't Ushiromiya Kinzo in very bad health at the time? Were there any medical charts left behind?"
"Perhaps he brought the medical charts with him on the day of the accident. I'm afraid to say that the entire folder of Mr. Ushiromiya's medical charts has been lost. He was my father's patient, so I do not know the details."
"Around the time of the incident, did anything strange happen?"
"...Yes, there was one thing. However, it seems exceedingly likely to invite misunderstandings, so I very much do not wish to discuss it."
"...What is it? Please tell me."

For a while, the doctor beat around the bush, but after saying that much, he wouldn't be able to fool Ange by dodging the subject. He eventually gave in, and after making Ange swear herself to secrecy again, told her...

BGM: Lure

"...By mail?"
"It was very curious. The sender was made out to be me, but I had no memory of it. Someone had faked my name and sent it. The destination was Rebun Island in Hokkaido. Excluding the Northern Territories, it is at the northernmost tip of Japan. The recipient was apparently a residence on Rebun Island, but... the name was my father's. However, it seemed that there was a problem with the destination address, so it was stamped as Address Unknown... and returned to the sender, 'me'."

It was... truly a strange tale. Nanjo's son's name was written as the sender. However, he said that he hadn't mailed the letter. In short, that meant someone had faked his name and sent it. The destination was 'Nanjo Terumasa', on Hokkaido's Rebun Island. But the lot number written on it didn't exist, so the local post office had been unable to deliver it and instead sent it back to 'the sender, Nanjo's son'...

"...What was inside?"

"...I do ask that you keep silent about this. It is extremely troublesome to me as well. And even so, I cannot throw it away..."

The doctor stood up and faced a bookshelf. There was packed a group of dictionaries that could only have been ornamental, meant to make it very clear that the owner was an intellectual. When he pulled several volumes out from there, a large, brown envelope peeked out from behind them. He took that out and tossed it onto the desk. It had been been carefully sealed with cellophane tape, and its faded color and dryness made it clear that it had been sealed 12 years ago...

"I ask most solemnly for your silence on this matter."

Being so persistent that it was annoying, the doctor removed the seal with a paper knife. Then, when he tilted the envelope, an already opened mail envelope spilled out. The envelope had a weight to it, hinting that there was something other than a letter inside.

Following that incident, Nanjo's corpse had not been found, and he had eventually been treated as dead after going missing under extraordinary circumstances. And despite that, this letter addressed to a Nanjo in Hokkaido existed. One could almost take this as a sign that he had faked his own death and escaped to Hokkaido.

"...Was Doctor Nanjo really in Hokkaido? Or else, was there another person with the same first and last names in Hokkaido?"
"If my father had somehow escaped from the accident and lived on in Hokkaido, that would have made us of his family very happy, regardless of the circumstances. I also thought of that possibility at first. However, the envelope's destination address does not exist. In short, this envelope was mail that had no way of reaching him."
"...Is there a possibility that the sender miswrote the correct address?"
"Of course, I cannot deny it. However, judging from the residence's house number, I find that hard to believe."

Up until Rebun City, it's fine. But I just couldn't wipe away the feeling that the sequential number after it, 1234567, was a little insincere. It felt like a fake number that some kid had made up.

"They probably wrote a nonsense number that clearly didn't exist. I think it's natural to assume that, from the very beginning, this envelope was sent to a nonexistent residence to which it had no chance of being delivered."

If the destination address doesn't exist, mail is generally returned to the sender. But even in the case of an incomplete address, the local post office will often courteously, and to the best of its ability, research to find whether the sender's intended destination exists. When they still can't find it, the mail is sometimes returned after an investigation of several days. It seemed that the same thing had happened with this envelope, and the stamp was postmarked on October 3.

It was postmarked on Niijima. Niijima was a long way away from Rebun Island. On top of that, the destination was also nonsensical. It had taken more than a week for the mail to be returned.

Why do something like that...? Even before asking what it was that had been sent, this envelope was already wrapped in mystery...

"...And inside it?"
"Go ahead."

After getting the doctor's permission, I tilted the already opened envelope. From the inside came a small, folded letter, and a small key with a number plate attached. Then, a magnetic card slid out. A112 was engraved on the key's number plate. I didn't know what it meant.

The magnetic card was pitch black and had gold characters engraved in it. 'Members' was written in English. The jet-black, gold-lettered card design made it feel like something very high-class. But of course, I didn't have a clue what kind of card it was just from that.

...I unfolded the letter. Its contents were extremely brief, and only the following was written:

BGM: Stupefaction

Also written was the name of a certain massive bank known throughout Japan, as well as the words 'Central Branch'. That was all.

"And this is...?"
"...It's a card, a key, and a PIN for a safe-deposit box. And it wasn't a normal safe-deposit box either. It was an unsettling one, which was apparently reserved only for special clients."

After he finished putting his affairs in order following his father's funeral, he had visited the bank. PIN and key and card. There was no doubt that something of great importance was kept there, and he had been naturally curious about what it might be.

At first, he hadn't known what to do. The card wasn't something he'd owned in the first place. When he mustered up his courage and showed the card to a bank clerk, he was then switched to a clerk of clearly high status... and was guided to a large vault on the fourth basement.

The security on the way there was strict. The doctor had himself stored valuable items such as real estate transcripts in safe-deposit boxes before, but this was something on a whole different level...

"...But, anyway, I was frightened at how imposing that secure vault was. And I wondered what kind of shady objects might await me that had to be stored in a place like this."
"...And then?"
"When I passed the card through the reader, I was asked to input the PIN. And, after that eight-digit number was input and authenticated, I was permitted access to the vault. It was an incredible scene. A world like something from a sci-fi movie. The massive, dimly-lit silver room was covered with doors to safes."

He had entered that room along with the clerk. It seems that as soon as the card was read, the vaults he had a right to were determined, so that safes he could open were lit with a green light, while those he couldn't open were lit with a red one.

"A112 was one of those safes that were marked... By the way, there were several other safes marked with a green lamp besides that one. I think there were at least 20. There might even have been more in the other corner. In any event, I only had the key to A112. I had no way of checking the contents of the other safes."

As the clerk watched, the doctor had unlocked and opened the safe. When he did, a safe drawer like a large cabinet had opened, and an expensive-looking duralumin case peeked out... That was carried into a separate room, where for the first time, the clerk left, and he was introduced to the contents...

"And the contents were...?"

"Cash? How much?"
"I have heard that a pack of one million yen in fresh banknotes is precisely one centimeter thick. Since those were packed tightly into a duralumin case of such a size, there was probably 100 million in total. I don't know, because I didn't count. I didn't even touch it with my hands. I realized at once. This was dangerous money."

It isn't normal to store a whole hundred million yen in cash in a case in a safe like that. It's much easier to deal with if you put it into an account and turn it into numbers. When someone is unable to do that, then it's clear that there's something wrong with that cash...

"So, you didn't use it at all?"
"Correct. I locked it back up just as I'd found it, returned it to the original safe, and left. I have thought about throwing away that key and card, but I don't know what will happen. For that reason, I have been hiding it in the back of this bookcase for a full 12 years. I still do not know what kind of money that was."
"...Could I borrow this envelope?"
"No. Please just view it here."
" ...Understood. Then, if you'll excuse me. There's something I want to investigate."

...Then I opened to the page with the paragraph Beatrice had written to Onee-chan...and compared the handwriting on both...

"..."

BGM: Play

But, what is it...? Something's bugging me... What is it...? What could it be...?

The same envelope and contents had been sent to Kumasawa's son, who had once lived with her. But he had been very busy in the days since, and seemed to have forgotten about it while running around all over the place. However, its strange contents had apparently stayed in his memory, and he remembered as soon as Ange mentioned it to him... After a bit of a wait, his thin-lipped wife found the envelope, complaining that he always forgot where he put things right away...

The modus operandi for the sender and recipient was the same as Nanjo's son's. The sender was made out to be Kumasawa's son, and the recipient was Kumasawa Chiyo. And the destination address was in the Okinawa Prefecture. Okinawa Prefecture, Yaeyama County, Yonaguni City, 1-2-34-567. Yonaguni Island was at the western-most tip of Japan. And the lot name was the exact same sequential number that had apparently been chosen without much care.

...Now it was certain. This envelope was definitely sent with the goal of having it be returned to the sender. Its contents were exactly the same. A letter with the PIN and the bank's main branch written on it. A magnetic card. A key with an attached number plate. The inscription on the number plate was A113. The number right after the one on the key that had been sent to Nanjo.

Most likely, inside the vault was the same kind of duralumin case, packed with a hundred million yen in cash...

"...So, you know what this is, girl? Could it be that the same kind of thing came to your place...?"
"...Ah."

'Uryu, is it a headache? A headache...?!'
"...Sorry, my head hurts... I've got it... I know..."
'What do you mean, you know...?'
"You don't mean... this envelope... came to your place too, Ange-sama...?"

...I've remembered... I've remembered...!!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
The profiles page (Ange Side) has been updated.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
So fat stacks of weregild to assuage the guilty party or a coconspirator of their guilty conscience for involving unrelated parties like Nanjo and Kumasawa? Or it's payment due to coconspirators being passed to their survivors.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
That's what I'm thinking, a sum kicked to the relatives of the people killed as if to say, "Sorry for killing your relatives, wrong place, wrong time and all that"... or perhaps a payment for conspiracy. But if the latter were true, why didn't they at least try to survive, if they knew that cash was coming? Were they betrayed? Or just that involved with killing the Ushiromiyas that they didn't actually mind that they died doing it? Is this what their "golden land" is- restitution for their families that they didn't even take because of how creepy and shady it all was? I'm actually thinking the former, a measure to assuage guilt performed by somebody who has no freaking idea of how normal people do things.

But hey, we know what that weird number is, now, that appeared in the 3rd episode... even though it makes its appearance even more esoteric and weird. According to the updated profile for George, it was something he "sold his soul" for, but he wasn't alive to collect at the end, so he wasn't the one who wrote it, probably. And none of the people who saw it recognized to for what it was, not even Eva (though I suppose she could have faked it, but that means she had to have done it while running around being Evatrice); and I really can't see the bitter monster Eva became sending out these envelopes, as she'd probably keep them all herself. So it had to be written by somebody who thought they knew who was leaving the island and wanted to send a message, but the message was incomplete and probably went to the wrong people.

... Or did it? Was somebody alive who shouldn't have been at the end? I thought everyone was supposed to be dead at the end except for Eva, Battler and Jessica, that was declared in red, and we saw Battler be killed by Eva, and Jessica was blinded, so even if she were alive, writing letters like this isn't really in the cards...

So did somebody with a fake name like Shannon or Kanon survive, and send these letters? Were they living in Kuwadorian? Are they living there now? :tinfoil:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

resurgam40 posted:

... Or did it? Was somebody alive who shouldn't have been at the end? I thought everyone was supposed to be dead at the end except for Eva, Battler and Jessica, that was declared in red, and we saw Battler be killed by Eva, and Jessica was blinded, so even if she were alive, writing letters like this isn't really in the cards...

So did somebody with a fake name like Shannon or Kanon survive, and send these letters? Were they living in Kuwadorian? Are they living there now? :tinfoil:
I think that would depend on what a witch considers dead. Sakurato was declared dead by Maria, even though it would be a trivial matter to stitch him back up. Most likely Maria never played with him afterwards.

If we operate on that same logic, it could be possible Shannon or Kanon were 'dead' if they abandoned their servant names. Then they could stick around to kill Nanjo and Jessica.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Should note it appears that Ange got the same letter from the end of the update.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The purpose of the business of sending them far away to use the return address is to delay their receipt. It's not an uncommon tactic for that (at least in fiction), although you can't predict EXACTLY how long it'll take. Most likely, the packets were sent right before the conference started.

I suspect they're both payment for the survivors and payment for the conspirators. Most likely the conspirators would have been aware the payments were coming, but wouldn't know they would be dead when it happened, and the murderer was kind enough to arrange for this commitment to be followed through on in advance because they expected to be dead themselves by the end of it (or at least acknowledged it was a possibility). They might have even somehow proved to the conspirators that they were sent as a way of securing their cooperation. (And even if something goes wrong, your children will get all this money...)

Maybe there was some unseen interaction with George that earned him a payment too? Or maybe George really was the prime motivator on that board and wrote it there himself as some kind of half-assed apology to the people who were left.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

resurgam40 posted:

That's what I'm thinking, a sum kicked to the relatives of the people killed as if to say, "Sorry for killing your relatives, wrong place, wrong time and all that"... or perhaps a payment for conspiracy. But if the latter were true, why didn't they at least try to survive, if they knew that cash was coming? Were they betrayed? Or just that involved with killing the Ushiromiyas that they didn't actually mind that they died doing it? Is this what their "golden land" is- restitution for their families that they didn't even take because of how creepy and shady it all was? I'm actually thinking the former, a measure to assuage guilt performed by somebody who has no freaking idea of how normal people do things.

But hey, we know what that weird number is, now, that appeared in the 3rd episode... even though it makes its appearance even more esoteric and weird. According to the updated profile for George, it was something he "sold his soul" for, but he wasn't alive to collect at the end, so he wasn't the one who wrote it, probably. And none of the people who saw it recognized to for what it was, not even Eva (though I suppose she could have faked it, but that means she had to have done it while running around being Evatrice); and I really can't see the bitter monster Eva became sending out these envelopes, as she'd probably keep them all herself. So it had to be written by somebody who thought they knew who was leaving the island and wanted to send a message, but the message was incomplete and probably went to the wrong people.

If the update remarked on the letter postdate (from the post office, not anything that the Beatrice wrote), I missed it. If there's no note of it, then it's possible that the letters were sent after the writer knew who died, and they were in fact intended for the survivors. The writer may not even be one of the murderers (assuming there were more than 1), but someone from off the island who had instructions to mail this stuff out at a certain time (or when some other condition was satisfied).

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
KUMASAWA'S SON IS WEARING A SHIRT THAT SAYS MACKEREL ON IT.

鯖 = mackerel

I'm dying.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

If the update remarked on the letter postdate (from the post office, not anything that the Beatrice wrote), I missed it.

It did.

ProfessorProf posted:

If the destination address doesn't exist, mail is generally returned to the sender. But even in the case of an incomplete address, the local post office will often courteously, and to the best of its ability, research to find whether the sender's intended destination exists. When they still can't find it, the mail is sometimes returned after an investigation of several days. It seemed that the same thing had happened with this envelope, and the stamp was postmarked on October 3.

It was postmarked on Niijima. Niijima was a long way away from Rebun Island. On top of that, the destination was also nonsensical. It had taken more than a week for the mail to be returned.

Emphasized for visibility. The family conference started on October 4th.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

EagerSleeper posted:

KUMASAWA'S SON IS WEARING A SHIRT THAT SAYS MACKEREL ON IT.

鯖 = mackerel

I'm dying.

Look at his name.

She didn't just give him a mackerel shirt.

She named him after a mackerel.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

KataraniSword posted:

It did.

Thanks!

I'm gonna guess this was mailed by someone not on the island, unless there were actually daily mail runs from Rokkenjima.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

KataraniSword posted:

It did.

Oh. Well, in that case, it could have been anyone who was living on the island at the time, which included Kinzo and all the servants, as well as Krauss, Natsuhi and Jessica. Which would point to a conspiracy of some kind, but given that this is the only other fact we know or proof of correspondence received, doesn't really tell us much. It would seem to implicate Nanjo and Kumasawa as being involved somehow: they could be collateral that the murderer felt guilty about or they could have been conspiring, as Nanjo was in a position in which he could affect things (as being the only doctor around, he gets to diagnose dead people and could intentionally fudge that), and Kumasawa could... well, ok, I don't know exactly what Kumasawa brings to the table except mackerel knowledge, because all the things we have on her are speculative and based on her being portrayed as rather spry for her age, and even then...

e: one of these days, I'll remember to have the drat profiles open in another tab so I can get all the names right... :shepicide:

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 21, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I can't quote because SA's functionality drops significantly when images are disabled for data saving, but in regards to Kumasawa's son being named after mackerel:

OH poo poo

Edit: does naming your child mackerel count as child abuse?

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 21, 2017

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

Oh. Well, in that case, it could have been anyone who was living on the island at the time, which included Kinzo and all the servants, as well as Krauss, Natsuhi and Jessica. Which would point to a conspiracy of some kind, but given that this is the only other fact we know or proof of correspondence received, doesn't really tell us much. It would seem to implicate Nanjo and Kuwabara as being involved somehow: they could be collateral that the murderer felt guilty about or they could have been conspiring, as Nanjo was in a position in which he could affect things (as being the only doctor around, he gets to diagnose dead people and could intentionally fudge that), and Kuwabara could... well, ok, I don't know exactly what Kuwabara brings to the table except mackerel knowledge, because all the things we have on her are speculative and based on her being portrayed as rather spry for her age, and even then...

I'm wondering about how Ange got the letter. We don't know if it was specifically meant for her or not, but under what circumstances did she receive it? Before Ange, those that received this correspondence weren't related to the Ushiromiya family.

Also:

resurgam40 posted:

Kuwabara... Kuwabara... Kuwabara...

"I'm the murderer!"

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Given that Ange also got a letter. I don't believe that it's related to the conspirators. That would imply either Rudolf or Kyrie were in on it, which I don't think we have any good evidence for at the moment. I think reparations are much more likely.

The letter was sent from Niijima, so anyone who didn't come on the plane on the day could have sent it. That's Nanjo, Kumasawa, Natsuhi, Krauss, Jessica, Shannon, Kanon, Gohda and Kinzo. Plus any off island conspirators.

Also, being paranoid, I checked 7.151129 and 12.34567 as lat and long coordinates. They both point to empty locations in either Nigeria or Cameroon depending on which way round you use them. Nothing useful. (If you go 1. something rather than 12. something, you end up with the Atlantic Ocean and an empty spot in Togo).

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

When spoken, a small Golden Land will be opened. So the golden land is just... cash? All of the money?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Well, some things are clearer to me. Beatrice is a "Golden" witch because the Letter-Writer's power over the situation stems from the control they somehow had on Kinzo's money. The "Golden Land" is one where you're free of all worries, because all your needs are met, and you don't have to work for anything, because you have hella stacks. At one point I wondered if the Letter-Writer couldn't solve the epitaph themselves, and desperately wanted to find the gold, and thought someone in the family could be pressured into solving it through the studied application of murder, but now I see that was very wrong. They are somehow connected to the "alchemy" of the Uroshimiya fortune.

The money in the safety deposit boxes is probably for people who the Letter-Writer felt grateful to. People who had cared for them and/or Real Dead Beatrice. Possibly co-conspirators, but possibly not. Someone did the cooking and cleaning for Kuwadorian, and apparently someone provided doctor's checkups too. poo poo, Nanjo might have delivered Real Dead Beatrice on the island.

I guess if that theory is true, then you'd expect a letter to have been sent to that crazy servant school? Unless the Letter-Writer really does see them as furniture. But Ange getting one isn't so surprising. We know Maria met the Letter-Writer for the Witch Certification, and that at some point Ange also signed into the Something Sorciere. It's not impossible to believe that Ange also met the Letter-Writer, but just doesn't remember it.

resurgam40 posted:

And none of the people who saw it recognized to for what it was, not even Eva (though I suppose she could have faked it, but that means she had to have done it while running around being Evatrice); and I really can't see the bitter monster Eva became sending out these envelopes, as she'd probably keep them all herself.

Eva was allowed to live because she solved the epitaph. She might have killed some people (and gotten some others killed) in the course of events, but no way was she the Letter-Writer.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I think that would depend on what a witch considers dead. Sakurato was declared dead by Maria, even though it would be a trivial matter to stitch him back up. Most likely Maria never played with him afterwards.

I keep coming back to imagining that the Letter-Writer is a child of Kinzo's. The discussion of denying one's children made me believe that they were "denied" by him in the same way that Rosa "denied" Sakutaro.

(I keep doing this thing where I think that the themes of a given scene are connected to the actual "mechanics" of the murders. I'm sure it's very amusingly incompetent.)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

The letter was sent from Niijima, so anyone who didn't come on the plane on the day could have sent it. That's Nanjo, Kumasawa, Natsuhi, Krauss, Jessica, Shannon, Kanon, Gohda and Kinzo. Plus any off island conspirators.

You forgot the quotes around "Kinzo." :colbert:

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

curiousCat posted:

When spoken, a small Golden Land will be opened. So the golden land is just... cash? All of the money?

Honestly, I only noticed the "small golden land" line in this playthrough, and got a real chuckle out of the fact that it was talking about a PIN number.

Conversely, it could be said that the real "Golden Land" is the room with the ten tons of gold in it.

VVV Nanjo has referred to his sick grandchild numerous times. Most recently when he was killed in Ep 3.

oath2order fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 21, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Hey, speaking of profiles...

Nanjo had a grand-daughter who was dying of an incurable disease?!

I feel like a cat who keeps catching glimpses of things sparkling just out of reach. My simple brain can't tell the difference between things of real importance and toys dangled to distract me.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Isn't it possible that the letter that Ange had received was for Battler's participation? After all, he had been gone from the Ushiromiya family for a very long time, and when he did finally come back, it was for the annual asset management conference. Pretty suss to me...

Nice catch on the PIN metaphor being the one that opens the way to a small golden land. A lot of writing in this game is pleasantly coy. The translation team did a good job.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Could be. But it's difficult to see him being involved if only because if he knew what was going on he'd be able to crush Beatrice easily.

Ralphomon
Feb 14, 2014
I have just caught up after marathoning this whole thread over the last few days, and what a joy to read it has been! Well, not a joy literally, given the cavalcade of abuse and murder and whatnot, but still. I've wanted to know what the deal with Umineko was for a while after I tried to read the Higurashi manga, gave up, and spoiled myself on it, so thanks to Prof for doing this! Looking forwards to how this VN is going to make me renounce my scientist ways and accept witches are real.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Could be. But it's difficult to see him being involved if only because if he knew what was going on he'd be able to crush Beatrice easily.

"I must discover the truth and fight the Beatrice!"

"No, Battler, for the truth is: you are the Beatrice."

And then Battler was a Witch. And was dead, because there are no witches. The End.

... Yeah, i wouldn't find that satisfying, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

I don't think Battler was part of the plot. But! Since we've only ever seen fictional depictions of Battler*, that they weren't in on it doesn't constitute proof he was not, in my opinion.

*: okay plus one or two memories of Ange's

• Locked thread