Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SettingSun posted:

I like the Switch and will be getting one ASAP but there's no way it can stand up technically to the PS3, whose support for this game is being ended due to technical limitations.

The PS3 had a monstrous custom processor that required specific writing towards it to go along with the limited memory.

The switch has a quad core arm processor (basically the same type used in every mobile device) with 4gb of ram. The PS3 had 256mb. The switch could run circles around the PS3 in terms of hardware. It's basically on par if not better hardware wise than my iMac I use to play the game. It's just as powerful as a modern laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

troofs posted:

I don't believe for a second that the sort of person who'll freak out if you try to correct their skill usage without bringing up numbers will suddenly listen to you if you can quote their DPS at them.

Guess we agree then on lovely people continuing being lovely but that doesn't really go anywhere regarding use of DPS meters. :shrug:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'd like to not have to run a third party tool and would rather just see what i'm doing directly in game.

Especially since you can't use ACT on console, which is a pretty large chunk of the player base.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
This game won't get switch support :toxx:

Nintendo won't allow it because it's a medium that I can use to tell strangers to suck my dick

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
What i'm basically saying is this game could be trivially ported to the Switch. Power isn't remotely a concern. The limitations will be entirely input related and how much nintendo wants to play game with squenix. My guess is due to the massive popularity of this game in Japan that Nintendo will be in full support of this if a good input system can be worked out.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I do think they should add in Overwatch style medals and a personal dps meter though just to throw a bone to ps4 players. I feel like Yoshida's response against a personal dps meter at the Frankfurt fanfest rang pretty hollow. The absolute worst antics I can see people getting up to with that is having to send pf leaders screenshots of completed fight dps but I think that's generally too much hassle for anyone to bother with.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Renegret posted:

Nintendo won't allow it because it's a medium that I can use to tell strangers to suck my dick

On the other hand, Nintendo is a japanese company and FFXIV is an extremely popular video games in Japan.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

The PS3 had a monstrous custom processor that required specific writing towards it to go along with the limited memory.

The switch has a quad core arm processor (basically the same type used in every mobile device) with 4gb of ram. The PS3 had 256mb. The switch could run circles around the PS3 in terms of hardware. It's basically on par if not better hardware wise than my iMac I use to play the game. It's just as powerful as a modern laptop.

Didn't know that, so bring on the Switch port!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

This is the likely issue.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I see people poo poo on tanks and healers in 24-man content somewhat regularly.

Tanks for anything as serious as not pulling the boss the very second he crosses the purple line, to getting killed by Diablos's tank buster when his healers are dead.

Same fight people were bitching at a healer for not healing through the meteor drop.

I wouldn't call it an epidemic, and granted the 24-man raids turn people into rabid shitfuckers, but they're easy targets to pick out when someone wants to vent.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mr. Nice! posted:

On the other hand, Nintendo is a japanese company and FFXIV is an extremely popular video games in Japan.

As we all know, Nintendo has a long history with making very good decisions regarding anything to do with the internet.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hope we get bowser as a raid boss

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Tanks for anything as serious as not pulling the boss the very second he crosses the purple line, to getting killed by Diablos's tank buster when his healers are dead.

Same fight people were bitching at a healer for not healing through the meteor drop.

I wouldn't call it an epidemic, and granted the 24-man raids turn people into rabid shitfuckers, but they're easy targets to pick out when someone wants to vent.

Hmmm I do play with alliance chat off...

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I do wish there was a better metric for analyzing DPS in the game, just from a learning standpoint. StoneSkySea's as close as we get and it's still just punching a dummy for basically a yes/no answer for if you know your basic rotations and if you gear is potentially up to the task. It took me a long time to feel out the right way to do DPS as a MCH because it's way too easy to pass StoneSkySea and still have bad fight habits and have actual good players carry your slack. Sadly, it'd be difficult to impossible to implement something in the game to teach everything, but I wish there was ANYTHING to use besides dummy punching and aggro bars, even a personal DPS meter or a post-fight damage dealt/damage uptime screen.

(Answer to the MCH DPS question: Always be shooting. If you're not shooting, figure out why not and fix it- you can probably be shooting. Learn a 8 GCD Wildfire rotation for 0, 1, 2, and 5 bullet openings. All cool downs are property of Wildfire except maybe Hyperdrive in MP/TP emergencies. Quick Reload should never not be grey'd out unless you are saving it for a Wildfire opener, so learn to burn it on a Split/Slug shot on reaction to it refreshing.)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sure. And we all know how great Nintendo of Japan is at using The Internet to do games.

e:fb

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
A long while back, they wanted to port FFXI to the PSP \ Vita before that got cancelled.

A few people told me they thought that was an amazing idea, but personally I would imagine that playing an MMO on a tiny handheld screen with no keyboard would be completely miserable. FFXIV is busy as hell on my HDTV, let alone a little screen, and it's actually less chaotic than something like WoW with a bunch of addons.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

A long while back, they wanted to port FFXI to the PSP \ Vita before that got cancelled.

A few people told me they thought that was an amazing idea, but personally I would imagine that playing an MMO on a tiny handheld screen with no keyboard would be completely miserable. FFXIV is busy as hell on my HDTV, let alone a little screen, and it's actually less chaotic than something like WoW with a bunch of addons.

Remote Play of this game on the Vita is actually rad as hell once you get used to it.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Renegret posted:

As we all know, Nintendo has a long history with making very good decisions regarding anything to do with the internet.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sure. And we all know how great Nintendo of Japan is at using The Internet to do games.

e:fb

I know "Nintendo bad at internet" is a hot meme but pretty much every multiplayer game they've made since late Wii has had netplay and they've had Dragon Quest 10, an MMO by Square Enix, for the Wii and Wii U

I'm pretty sure the only real questions are "will it sell enough to be worth it" and "will Nintendo allow cross-platform support"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Meanwhile you have 15 DPS players who could be doing nothing but auto-attacking for all intents and purposes, but calling them out on it comes with the risk of a ban.

I'm not going to comment on the prevalence of this sort of behavior, because I have no possible way of figuring it out, but it certainly exists. If DPS meters aren't or available or at the very least condoned by the devs, then you have to accept that it's OK for people to be lovely to tanks and healers for loving up while giving DPS players special protection against the same thing.

e: Diabolos is a pretty good example, because it's one of the few cases where lovely DPS can directly result in dead tanks.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 21, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Renegret posted:

isn't that literally what Fire Emblem Fates is about?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Augus posted:

isn't that literally what Fire Emblem Fates is about?

i like this joke

i like you

thank you for that

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ryanbomber posted:

"will Nintendo allow cross-platform support"

....so let me get this straight. In this hypothetical business negotiation, one or more parties in this transaction between Square Enix and Nintendo, actively believes that people playing FFXIV, on a Switch, _should not be allowed to play with anyone that's not on a Switch_.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

FF14 on remote play on vita is amazing, actually.

But that's just the thing. Switch on the go isn't nearly powerful enough to run this game (it'll be throttled to gently caress and back so the battery doesn't die on you in 13 seconds), and mobility is about the only thing it has going for it.

Now if nintendo had something like PS Now to play ff14 on the go, that'd own.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
what if

work with me here

what if we got PC remote play of FFXIV on the switch

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sure. But Nintendo is going to make it so that the ONLY WAY YOU CAN TALK TO OTHER PEOPLE is through auto-translate, by having to drill down through menus word by word.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....so let me get this straight. In this hypothetical business negotiation, one or more parties in this transaction between Square Enix and Nintendo, actively believes that people playing FFXIV, on a Switch, _should not be allowed to play with anyone that's not on a Switch_.

MS has the same restriction.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sure. But Nintendo is going to make it so that the ONLY WAY YOU CAN TALK TO OTHER PEOPLE is through auto-translate, by having to drill down through menus word by word.

this is actually a very, very amusing thought

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

hobbesmaster posted:

MS has the same restriction.

I haven't seen anyone talk about putting FFXIV on the Xbone since the summer last year. I assume that restriction would be why.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

You know what would be cool as gently caress but probably won't happen as they'd have to redo like the entire game? PSVR support. Imagine a VR MMO. A Final Fantasy one, no less. That would be amazing.

SettingSun posted:

Remote Play of this game on the Vita is actually rad as hell once you get used to it.

I've never tried it... mostly because I never got a Vita.

...Not many people did.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Reminder for people who think FFXIV on the Switch is a far-fetched idea:

1. There's an MMO on the Wii U
2. Square Enix created said MMO
3. One of the designers for the MMO was YoshiP

The big issue would be if Nintendo gets irrationally hung up on only wanting them to play with other Switch users, like Microsoft has done in the past.

Asimo posted:

Honestly I think the actual HW DPS rotations are just way too complex overall. I know people here loving love their piano keybinds and think the vaguest hint of cutting down on positions and buff juggling to be tantamount to turning the game into WOW or something, but speaking as an old and slow fossil there's no loving way I could play something like DRG or BLM or even MNK to its full potential, and being limited to the scrub-easy DPS classes (BRD and SMN...) due to it is really kind of frustrating. I mean hell, I really wanted to get into MCH but I eventually gave up on that too because I'd inevitably fumble a keypress or forget which I needed to do next or whatever, and whoops, there goes a good portion of a Wildfire and RIP my DPS. :smith:

And I know it's not just me who thinks this too. YoshiP's repeatedly stated that there's a huge gap between top-end performance and average players, and if the devs are making note of it there has to be really blatant skews in their metrics. The real question is what's going to be done in 4.0 and whether it'll satisfy the top end and the common scrub folks simultaneously.

Monk's rotation is really straightforward. If you aren't pulled off the boss the only thing you'll do is two snap punches per demolish, while alternating dragon/boot and twin/true. Reapply Touch of Death so it doesn't fall off and use kamehameha/howling fist/steel peak when they're up, unless you have 1-2 GCDs until IR/B4B are off cooldown in which case you can wait to pop those first.

And maybe use Fracture if you get an Arrow card and can afford to burn the extra TP (unlikely, because you're a monk with an Arrow card :v:).

Truga posted:

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing against DPS meters, I'm arguing that they're for all intents and purposes already in the game (a poo poo player won't use quelling strikes or whatever aggro drop skill they have anyway), and maybe someone should point that out to yoship when he says people would be shittier when they knew your dps. The only things the aggro meter doesn't 100% work on are tanks and heals and good dps.

If you're referring to threat meters those aren't reliable at all as a DPS gauge. Some DPS (MNK) don't have threat reduction like quelling or elusive jump and if you have a NIN using their skills then they can adjust that even further for everyone. When I have 2x the threat of our static's BLM it's not because I'm doing double his DPS, as fun as that'd be.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I have to assume the interest for putting it on the Switch isn't any specific functionality and rather just trying to reach a larger base, but I'm also pretty sure people who only buy Nintendo consoles in 2017 don't actually know what Final Fantasy is

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Dropping PS3 support only to go and make a switch version right after is almost like treading water you know

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Theres a lot of really bad players out there who say things like "this healer is an rear end gently caress! Didnt loving keep me from dying!" or "this tank is a suboptimal piece of poo poo paladin! I hate him!" and thats extremely AIDS, so here's my proposed solution: even more AIDS

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Renegret posted:

man

too bad there's no way to dock your switch and play on the TV instead

literally impossible

literally

No amount of docking your Switch is going to make it powerful enough to keep parity with PC/PS4.

We don't need another underpowered platform to ruin this game with its lovely hardware limitations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lemon-Lime posted:

No amount of docking your Switch is going to make it powerful enough to keep parity with PC/PS4.

We don't need another underpowered platform to ruin this game with its lovely hardware limitations.

you didn't actually read the quote that I quoted, did you

I suggest you do

it's at the top of my original post

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Theres a lot of really bad players out there who say things like "this healer is an rear end gently caress! Didnt loving keep me from dying!" or "this tank is a suboptimal piece of poo poo paladin! I hate him!" and thats extremely AIDS, so here's my proposed solution: even more AIDS

Agreed. There's already a bunch of people ingame who get a good deal of abuse, and giving assholes an easy means to point fingers at even more people is no good in my book.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So what do you do about the people being currently abused?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I don't know dude but using that as justification for making things even worse is, pardon my harsh language, loving stupid

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Even if you think parsers would lead to DF abuse it's dumb that there's no way for raid statics to get a handle on their DPS without using ACT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Healers getting blamed and stick for wipes is a thing. I wouldn't say it's common but you'll see it a hundred times before you see a tank get the short end of the stick. (Not all wipes are tank, not all are healer).

Legitimately, the barrier to Switch XIV is cross play. Nothing else. It's why Bone XIV isn't a thing.

• Locked thread