Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

i don't really think it's inexcusable to not know what a fish fry is. it's not a tradition everywhere as seemingly implied by some here.

A human being is totally allowed to not know what a fish fry is.

A political observer in the united states of america should know what a fish fry is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

anime was right posted:

philip j fish fry

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
if you don't know the fish fry

you must die

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

if you don't know the fish fry

you must die

I didn't know, although it's sorta fuckin' self evident from the name there.

Also, holy poo poo nice AV.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I aim to please

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

that's fair, there really isn't enough context in the term "fish fry" for someone to figure out it's an event where fish is fried

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
what is a bake sale? are they selling bake I don't understand.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
So what the hell did you do at a block party before Minecraft was released? Did you just all stand around appreciating other kinds of blocks, like cinder and cardboard blocks?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

So, what was the issue with Franken? The discussion kind of died on that. The major downsides I see are "not Bernie Sanders, the only acceptable politician" and "kind of a smug prick sometimes"

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

zegermans posted:

So, what was the issue with Franken? The discussion kind of died on that. The major downsides I see are "not Bernie Sanders, the only acceptable politician" and "kind of a smug prick sometimes"

- No known desire to run, seems to enjoy working for the people of Minnesota in the Senate
- Age potentially a factor (will by 69 during 2020 campaign) but may not be as much of a factor given Trump's age
- Would he stand out in a likely crowded primary that could include Booker, Gillibrand, Kamala Harris, Newsom, Castro, Kaine, McAuliffe, various other longshot senators like Murphy and McCaskill, etc?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

- Age potentially a factor (will by 69 during 2020 campaign) but may not be as much of a factor given Trump's age

Jesus how are all these people so old

Anyway so what happens if Booker gets nominated because he's likable and can show empathy and emotion?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

zegermans posted:

Anyway so what happens if Booker gets nominated because he's likable and can show empathy and emotion?

The average age of Democrat leadership in 2017 will be 76 (Pelosi 76, Hoyer 77, Clyburn 76.)

As for Booker, who knows? I would imagine 'second black President' isn't as strong a hook as being the first, and Booker is nowhere near as talented or charismatic a politician as Obama is. It would be a race between trying to re-unite the Obama Coalition under a Not Obama versus however Trump's first term has gone.

Honestly I don't think the Dem opponent matters, 2020 is going to be a referendum on how Trump's first term success and little else.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

zegermans posted:

I think he has a few major problems (supported the war in Iraq and most other military interventions since, is a pretty extreme copyright maximalist) but neither of those are, imo, central issues we need to rely on to see a Democratic rise. I actually think he's pretty good. I don't get the feeling he has any desire to run a presidential campaign, but I would support him if he did and no other better candidate (one that's younger, more charismatic, less hawkish, less committed to locking away cultural touchstones for corporate profit) presented themselves.

Way better than Hillary, that's for sure.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
If Cory Booker is nominated he will refuse to campaign on how badly the rich have treated people and thus lose.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

zegermans posted:

Have you tried to get involved with the Democratic party? It's nigh impossible if you aren't already a member or provide some sort of funding. Young, new entrants into the party are almost nonexistent. At this rate, the Dems will literally die off with no one to replace them.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Pollyanna posted:

Have you tried to get involved with the Democratic party? It's nigh impossible if you aren't already a member or provide some sort of funding. Young, new entrants into the party are almost nonexistent. At this rate, the Dems will literally die off with no one to replace them.

:member: when the GOP was the party of geriatrics who are about to die off and usher in an age of liberalism?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Nastier Nate posted:

:member: when the GOP was the party of geriatrics who are about to die off and usher in an age of liberalism?
unfortunately the GOP discovered "inbreeding"

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

Oh great another South Park emote.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Fiction posted:

If Cory Booker is nominated he will refuse to campaign on how badly the rich have treated people and thus lose.

or there will be a 47 percent tape waiting to be unleashed of him saying "im just lying about the rich people thing to get elected"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sorry guys, the party is doomed on many levels.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Pollyanna posted:

it's actually really easy to get involved with the democratic party. especially at local level, much of the time you just literally just show up a handful of times and help out and someone is eventually gonna offer you a position of some kind. and many state parties have rules requiring representation on boards/committees by young people. and at the professional level, most campaigns and staff are totally dominated by 20 and 30 somethings. if anything, i'd say young people are over-represented.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

CubsWoo posted:

- Age potentially a factor (will by 69 during 2020 campaign)

nice

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hillary Clinton turned 69 about a month ago.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

devtesla posted:

Hillary Clinton turned 69 about a month ago.

nice

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

hey that's the sex number

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

actually its the weed number

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/countvoncount/status/212181595631796224

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i clicked through to the tl, scrolled down to 420 and went "yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!" real loud irl

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anything in the Constitution that says a fried fish cannot be elected President?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Tulsi gonna go to Standing Rock with a bunch of other veterans

https://www.thenation.com/article/tulsi-gabbard-will-deploy-with-fellow-vets-to-stand-with-standing-rock/

gently caress yea Tulsi

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
weak

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I wonder if her peaceful anti-government protest will get a barrel bomb dropped on it like her hero Assad.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
I think Booker will run, do pretty well, then drop out and support Gillibrand, who will win the nomination but lose the election to a not-Trump Republican.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Karl Barks posted:

i dunno if she even posts here anymore, but she basically called everything that's happening with the ACA when she was posting from like 2008-2012

she stopped posting because Evilweasel used to probate her on sight for attempting to Debate and Discuss in the forum for Debating and Discussing

also, she was a big HRC fan so i doubt she would prosper in the current forum environment

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

also, she was a big HRC fan so i doubt she would prosper in the current forum environment

I don't think that's true, I seem to very specifically recall her unironically saying "Hitlery" back in the day.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

zegermans posted:

I don't think that's true, I seem to very specifically recall her unironically saying "Hitlery" back in the day.

iirc she was being ironic at the Obamarama thread people. she was very seriously a Clinton supporter to the point where i once made a Vince Foster joke and she got irritable about it.

good poster, and correct, but possessed of some strange cares, as we all are.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The D&D treatment of her is just really kind of weird and gross anyway. That was some outright obsession with silencing a dissenting viewpoint just for the sake of it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey democrats how about we nominate a centrist this time around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
this was quite the thread bump

• Locked thread