Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

FAUXTON posted:

That's why the Raider exists though. This game feels like the kind of place gamergaters would coagulate so naturally, you want to roll with the black woman Raider so you can troll them with stuns and throw them into holes.

I dunno i encounter a lot of SJW's in this game that are crying because of diversity.

This line of discussion you are going down is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Exmond posted:

I dunno i encounter a lot of SJW's in this game that are crying because of diversity.

If you don't like throwing your enemies into pits then this game may not be for you.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

FAUXTON posted:

That's why the Raider exists though.

Raider exists so that you can punish an out of stamina enemy for 90% of their health.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ice Fist posted:

Raider exists so that you can punish an out of stamina enemy for 90% of their health.

I prefer throwing them around, mainly because I'm bad at parrying.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Evil Canadian posted:

Warden funny way to say Orochi.

*ed*

The everyone plays part, nobody needs nerfs, but a bunch of classes need buffs(like the loving kensei fighting orochis I hate it because they are just a better, faster version of kensei :argh:).

I rip up orochi as kensei. Just out-range them. Many players underestimate the Kensei's range, which is like tied for longest in the game. Orochi doesn't have nearly as much, take advantage of your dash attacks and poo poo.

Like the side dash attack on Kensei will still forward-track a TON, and almost nobody expects that. I throw side dash attack from good distance when the enemy's about to attack, dodges their attack and slashes them good from further away than they think they can be hit.

But I agree, the other classes should just get slightly buffed to be up to Warden's level, not the other way around. And I think lots of classes are pretty good as they are.

Evil Canadian posted:

Reminds me of when sf5 came out and 2 weeks in everyone thought the game was "solved", oh and how wrong everyone was.

Yeah guys the meta for this game at pro level has not even begun to form yet.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 21, 2017

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
Does anyone have some tips for the Berserker's deflect timing? I've gotten to the point that I've stopped trying to figure it out and instead have reverted to playing Berserker like Chivalry's Man at Arms with a punt to send them off instead of a silly shout. I seem to struggle the most with the Warlord and occasionally a Kensei.

Adding to the kudos for the suggestion of using a level 3 Orochi bot to practice block/parry too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nebiros posted:

Does anyone have some tips for the Berserker's deflect timing? I've gotten to the point that I've stopped trying to figure it out and instead have reverted to playing Berserker like Chivalry's Man at Arms with a punt to send them off instead of a silly shout. I seem to struggle the most with the Warlord and occasionally a Kensei.

Adding to the kudos for the suggestion of using a level 3 Orochi bot to practice block/parry too.

Its just like parrying but you dodge instead.

You do it when the red flashes, just like a parry.

IIRC Berzerker doesn't even get as much out of deflect as Orochi or Peacekeeper so no biggie if you just parry instead.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Exmond posted:

The problem with this game is that there are gender specific classes, because it means i produce less salt as a warlord because i cant be a lady.

I had a warden player complain about my headbut combo today :allears:

Also on the same topic, a teamate was saying it didnt make sense for me to be a black viking. I told him that black people have boats too and that if he knew any history he'd know that vikings sailed extremely far, especially compared to their contemporaries. I dont think it got through his thick skull though.

Can i just say, i wish revenge mode had an effect on guard breaks? It's pretty impossible to fight 1vX because of how strong guard breaks are.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the deal with the follow-up stab after the Warlord headbutt anyway? I feel like it only comes out like a third of the time I try it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Keegers posted:

Vikings need a fat brawler type dude like shogoki, but uses his fists and his taunt is drinking beer

Just team up with Blizzard and put in the lost vikings and you'll have all your bullshit bases covered. Fat guy who can't be hit, guy with nothing but a sword who attacks constantly, and the guy who runs from you until the match ends.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

fadam posted:

What's the deal with the follow-up stab after the Warlord headbutt anyway? I feel like it only comes out like a third of the time I try it.

Tight timing. My own experience is that you can't be pushing the right stick in a direction either.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I've resigned myself to either needing to plug in my PS4 controller or find a keybinding for dodge that isn't space bar because I tend to use my thumb for space and D and dodging right means I'm moving everything off their normal keys and then having to put them back in an instant.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Its just like parrying but you dodge instead.

You do it when the red flashes, just like a parry.

IIRC Berzerker doesn't even get as much out of deflect as Orochi or Peacekeeper so no biggie if you just parry instead.
Deflect has a smaller window for timing than parry.

The free guard break can be comboed into a forward throw that drains like 50% or more of someones stamina.

Against warlord, i would advise feinting into a guard break. Otherwise, as a warlord player, there's not much you can do.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

fadam posted:

I get more success hitting attack during the headbut, as if it's a legit combo(which it technically is but no other combo has that tight input timing)

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!
Does anyone know if there's a way to get the game to...uh, not recognize my gamepad as a gamepad? I'm trying to use Joy2Key to rebind stuff, but the game just sees a controller and apparently you cannot rebind a controller?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Comparing the Warlord's kit to the Conqueror's is really funny. The Warlord has a ton of offensive and defensive options (including the best parry in the game imo) and the Conqueror has a bad version of headbutt and a gimmicky weapon charge.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
This round was Peak Raider. Tossed my first enemy into a geyser, then nabbed my teammate's opponent from his orochi duel and dumped him into a pit.
Behold:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

fadam posted:

Comparing the Warlord's kit to the Conqueror's is really funny. The Warlord has a ton of offensive and defensive options (including the best parry in the game imo) and the Conqueror has a bad version of headbutt and a gimmicky weapon charge.

I've gotten Conqueror to prestige 2 and I think I'm going to stop playing him. Not because he's bad but because he's really loving boring.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
A few quick questions about this game since a lot of it seems either incomplete or unintuitive:

1. Guard break interrupt doesn't work the way it says in the tutorial, right? It seems to require you to hit X and then change stance for it to work, rather than just hitting X.

2. Does Brawl mode exist? I have a daily for doing Brawl matches and the map category says Brawl & Duel, but only seems to have duel. Do I have to be in a party for Brawl to appear?

3. Is the faction thing important? I chose to fight for knights, which seems to mean that the only relevant types of matches I can do are Dominion and Elimination/Skirmish. If I do duels it doesn't appear to mean anything since that bit of territory is contested between Vikings and Samurai and there's nowhere to deploy war assets at the end of a round. Are war assets like a currency that gets banked and then deployed later at a different location if my faction isn't fighting there?

I like the actual game, but god drat is all the online stuff Ubisoft as gently caress.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

A few quick questions about this game since a lot of it seems either incomplete or unintuitive:

1. Guard break interrupt doesn't work the way it says in the tutorial, right? It seems to require you to hit X and then change stance for it to work, rather than just hitting X.

2. Does Brawl mode exist? I have a daily for doing Brawl matches and the map category says Brawl & Duel, but only seems to have duel. Do I have to be in a party for Brawl to appear?

3. Is the faction thing important? I chose to fight for knights, which seems to mean that the only relevant types of matches I can do are Dominion and Elimination/Skirmish. If I do duels it doesn't appear to mean anything since that bit of territory is contested between Vikings and Samurai and there's nowhere to deploy war assets at the end of a round. Are war assets like a currency that gets banked and then deployed later at a different location if my faction isn't fighting there?

I like the actual game, but god drat is all the online stuff Ubisoft as gently caress.

1. No, it works how it works in the tutorial, it's just really strict timing. You have to hit the button when the icon flashes white and you have to be in a neutral state (I think). Moving your block around shouldn't be necessary.

2. Yea, go to the Duel & Brawl mode and hit the arrow to change the mode to Brawl.

3. I actually have no idea how this works and I have like close to 30 hours in the game lmao.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

This round was Peak Raider. Tossed my first enemy into a geyser, then nabbed my teammate's opponent from his orochi duel and dumped him into a pit.
Behold:

You're doing God's work.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

1. Teching guard break is about doing it as soon as they touch you, which the tutorial doesnt explain well.
2. Yes, you should be able to select(bumpers on controller) brawl instead of duel.
3. No it's not. Though your assets get spread evenly across all fronts if you dont/cant select a spot. Selecting a spot gives a bonus though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Here's a thought: don't play multi-player modes if you don't want to fight multiple opponents.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Here's a thought: don't play multi-player modes if you don't want to fight multiple opponents.

NO gently caress YOU BUSHIDO CHIVALRY HONOR CANCER TOXIC COMMUNITY

What buzzwords am I missing here?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I did a 2v2 yesterday and my (much better than the rest of us) partner let us duel.

...Until I got in trouble then he threw my opponent off a cliff. then we danced.

Amazing

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah when my friend and I 2v2 we won't attack the other guy in a 2v1. Not because of honor or anything we're just both really lovely at fighting 1v2 so we hope we can trick the other team into not doing it.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

fadam posted:

Yeah when my friend and I 2v2 we won't attack the other guy in a 2v1. Not because of honor or anything we're just both really lovely at fighting 1v2 so we hope we can trick the other team into not doing it.

Honor is the fear of being on the losing end of a 1v2

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I got in a fight with a guy in Dominion during Sudden Death - were were getting our rear end beat. It was 1v3 and his two teammates showed up and did cheer emotes. I appreciated that. Then I decided to be a little cheeky and switched targets and sucker-hit one of them. They quickly teamed up and beat my rear end but I went down swinging, drat it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

satanic splash-back posted:

Honor is the fear of being on the losing end of a 1v2

Maybe, but I get 90% of my kills by pushing people into poo poo so :shrug:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Honor is popping revenge and hitting 3 people at once with an AOE unblockable that kills one and seriously injures the other two, one of which you shove off a cliff, and the other you execute followed by emote cancel spamming until it fades to black

redhalo
May 19, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

When you want to deploy assets you can hit back and pick another territory unrelated to your game type to distribute to freely. Or, as I do, not give a gently caress and it auto distributes evenly among all your contested territories.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Someone said warlord has the best parry, how is that? The superior block thing? I can't figure out why you'd want to do that instead of just a regular parry

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'm completely ignoring faction warfare. Nothing you do affects the outcome in any way, shape or form. Despite ubi pushing the faction warfare as the most important part of the game the outcome is pretty much worthless until the last 2 phases and well, nothing you can do to change the outcome there either :shrug:

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Behold:

if only there was a mode where you could 1v1 people

also, the pose of the peacekeeper in that screenshot is absolutely perfect :3:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ice Fist posted:

Have I missed a key Raider confirm?

If someone is on the ground for either a out of stamina fall or a carry that dumps them the only confirmed hit I can get is a single zone attack. Technically not even that is a guarantee because they technically can parry it (but is very difficult to time). All other heavies can be blocked as they stand up.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

Have I missed a key Raider confirm?

If someone is on the ground for either a out of stamina fall or a carry that dumps them the only confirmed hit I can get is a single zone attack. Technically not even that is a guarantee because they technically can parry it (but is very difficult to time). All other heavies can be blocked as they stand up.

After watching Tru Talent play him a no stamina knock down can be punished with an overhead heavy and followed up by a zone as they stand up. Although the zone during standup may not be confirmed. He was playing an absolutely wonderful mind game with his opponents where he would launch the zone, cancel it, then parry their parry attempt into a knock down.

It was magical to watch. I saw him land the Overhead heavy into zone multiple times, but again, not entirely sure if it's confirmed.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

After banging my head against a wall for awhile trying to remap my controller, failing everything, including trying to remap through Steam, I finally followed the instructions in this link, and it works...mostly: https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5qi3e2/pc_want_to_rebind_your_controller/

It sucks that it doesn't change the button prompts in game, but anything is better than having guard break mapped to square.

Changing subjects, I'm having difficulty using the Berserker, and I'm curious if my opinions on the class or correct, or if I'm just missing something. The first opinion I have is that for a character that relies on mobility and being in close, she really lacks a good distance closer. I wish I could take a couple of the Warlord's moves to close distance and insert them in the Berserker moveset.

The other thing is that I have a lot of trouble landing that first hit when I try to play aggressively. I just have a terrible time breaking through someone's defense to land those first couple of hits. I have a lot more success when I wait for a parry or a deflect, which is ok when I'm playing Warlord because I have such a deep health pool that I can make a mistake or two and come back from it, but when I do that with a Berserker, if I happen to miss my first parry, I'm in a lot of trouble playing from behind.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

After watching Tru Talent play him a no stamina knock down can be punished with an overhead heavy and followed up by a zone as they stand up. Although the zone during standup may not be confirmed. He was playing an absolutely wonderful mind game with his opponents where he would launch the zone, cancel it, then parry their parry attempt into a knock down.

It was magical to watch. I saw him land the Overhead heavy into zone multiple times, but again, not entirely sure if it's confirmed.

It's not, but the unblockable gets double damage if you combo it. So overhead chop for like 45 dmg into unblockable for 50 more is just so tempting. It can be parried or dodged, but they're likely out of stamina anyway so it's hard for them to punish.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Behold:

There needs to be a Get Honor emote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

1500 posted:

ya the bleed is amazing. It does a poo poo ton of damage.

Can you stack it with the shoulder pin bleed attack? :q:

Also I usually ask if people want a 1v1 in brawl or elimination, and folks seem to be pretty receptive to it. It makes things a bit more interesting :shobon:

Of course it's usually the samurai that gently caress everything up in the end.