Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The cat and its evolution are slightly overdesigned but would probably fit in 4th gen, on the lower end.

Barewl, meanwhile, might well be worse than every (non- conkeldurr) pokemon that actually exists, it's a bronze ball wearing half a nut with a pubic hair poking out of the top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Spinarak does not deserve to be in this awful game and I'll be real upset if it actually is.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kemix posted:

Yes we get it it's an abomination beyond abominations give it a loving rest already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIPuX4iNZM0&t=19s

Remember Justy from Pokemon Colosseum and how he ran a Sand Veil team? I fuckin hated that guy. I think I'd hate this gym too.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
Let's just rewind a little bit, because I want to talk about how the very first choice you make in this game that has any effect is also the prime evidence that there was no playtesting. It's choosing your starter. Specifically, the grass starter.

Theo get the starter that has a type weakness to you, in this case, he gets water. As has been mentioned, the water starter will paralyse the opponent when hit with a contact attack. Guess what kind of attack the grass starter has? On top of that, GUESS WHICH STARTER DOES NOT START WITH A TYPED ATTACK. The grass starter starts with Tackle. Not razor leaf, or even leach seed. Tackle.

If you pick the grass starter, you will lose the tutorial fight. You will get paralyzed, at a point where the entirety of the curatives you have access to is a single potion. You will not be able to capitalise on the type advantage you are given. And then, as the cherry on top, while Theo goes off to celebrate his victory, the Professor will chew you out for losing when you had the type advantage.

If you're curious, no, losing here does not have any lasting change to Theo's behaviours. Half way through the chat with his dad, he's back to his default "I won't lose next time" script.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Watercrown posted:

Let's just rewind a little bit, because I want to talk about how the very first choice you make in this game that has any effect is also the prime evidence that there was no playtesting. It's choosing your starter. Specifically, the grass starter.

Theo get the starter that has a type weakness to you, in this case, he gets water. As has been mentioned, the water starter will paralyse the opponent when hit with a contact attack. Guess what kind of attack the grass starter has? On top of that, GUESS WHICH STARTER DOES NOT START WITH A TYPED ATTACK. The grass starter starts with Tackle. Not razor leaf, or even leach seed. Tackle.

If you pick the grass starter, you will lose the tutorial fight. You will get paralyzed, at a point where the entirety of the curatives you have access to is a single potion. You will not be able to capitalise on the type advantage you are given. And then, as the cherry on top, while Theo goes off to celebrate his victory, the Professor will chew you out for losing when you had the type advantage.

If you're curious, no, losing here does not have any lasting change to Theo's behaviours. Half way through the chat with his dad, he's back to his default "I won't lose next time" script.

That's atrocious. I might rag a little on Game Freak for always having their starters have the abilities they do since they're boring, but I can immediately see why they wouldn't give anything special to a starter now. A situation like that is just idiotic. How did they devs not see that coming?

(My guess is the devs liked one of the other starters more and didn't test the grass one.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

(My guess is the devs liked one of the other starters more and didn't test the grass one.)

Dev picked squirtle and never forgave Blue's bulbasaur for beating him.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Spinarak is awesome, his butt face turns angry when he attacks. He ruled even before he did that.

Also I don't remember the roadblocks from Sun and Moon much but I seem to remember that at least one of them involved Team Skull, so that one at least must have been good. At the very least it would have had the music.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
By the way, if we're talking about nonsensical roadblocks, then I think the chief among them must go to the fanhack Pokemon Glazed. The situation is you're invading the underground hideout of a church of Arceus worshippers to find their leader Pius (It's as bad as it sounds.) all so you can rescue Jasmine who got kidnapped. So you battle guards, move to the bad guys office and a dude off to the side shouts "No entering without permission!"

And you just can't enter. You are storming the enemy base, there is nothing in front of you, the door isn't locked, this guy wont fight you. He just compels you to not attack by saying you aren't allowed in. So you have to search for another route.

Another constant Fan Game sin is the feeling that you're not actually accomplishing anything. I've not actually played Uranium, so I have no idea if it does it. But count how many times in a Pokemon game you fight the evil team and then they accomplish their goal anyway and you 'lose' essentially. It's not often, more than likely they'll win because their goal wasn't you or right there. Like in S/M how they capture Nebby by making it so you're nowhere near when they try it. Or by stalling you, like Courtney in Ruby. Imagine if, when you got to the legendaries in Sinnoh, you beat Cyrus and then he went "Master Ball go!" and caught the two legendaries anyway. Why the gently caress did it matter?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

The Watercrown posted:

This is why the starters always have the "power up when on low HP" abilities.

I also like that Sun/Moon gave everyone a typed attack at the start so you have more cool stuff to play with at the start, but that works due to the balance, whereas Uranium has the problem mentioned above.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I actually went through to see how many Pokemon families are actually from the original series, and how many are unchanged. There are only 14 original families in Uranium. Only 5 of them are left unaltered. Several get either bad evolutions, bad megas, radioactive forms, or any combination of the 3. Only 5 exist in their original form without a fake form of some kind.

There are some GLARING omissions. I realize to mention a single one of them would likely qualify as a spoiler.

But on a personal level they left out nearly every Pokemon that means anything to me on a personal level.

I am not interested at hinting as to which ones are excluded. I AM interested in seeing reactions of 'Well at least that's in there' and 'They included THAT thing?' because hoo boy the latter was my reaction most of the time.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

GeneX posted:

The cat and its evolution are slightly overdesigned but would probably fit in 4th gen, on the lower end.

Barewl, meanwhile, might well be worse than every (non- conkeldurr) pokemon that actually exists, it's a bronze ball wearing half a nut with a pubic hair poking out of the top
The problem with your comparison is that you can tell what conkeldurr is by looking at it. Is it dumb? Yes. Does it have the same issue of not knowing what it is that Barewl does? No.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

MadScientistWorking posted:

The problem with your comparison is that you can tell what conkeldurr is by looking at it. Is it dumb? Yes. Does it have the same issue of not knowing what it is that Barewl does? No.

Conkeldurr actually has a design philosophy behind it that makes its evolutionary line cohesive and actually good. Barewl is indecipherable and only later down the line does it look even have a discernible form, though even that's debatable.

I think Conkeldurr is actually pretty good, btw. Just because something's ugly doesn't mean it's stupid or badly designed.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
To be fair, one of my real pet peeves about the later pokemon games is that they really dropped the ball on making it instantly apparent what type a given pokemon is. Take a glance at, say, Golem and you can tell that it's rock type. There are exceptions, but for the most part you can tell the typing from a glance at the sprite. In the later gens there are some sprites that I have absolutely no idea on, with Florges, Dhlemise and Fomantis/Lurantis being particularly bad offenders. And as for the ultra beasts, how is this grass type, this flying type and this a goddamn rock/poison type?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Mr. Vile posted:

To be fair, one of my real pet peeves about the later pokemon games is that they really dropped the ball on making it instantly apparent what type a given pokemon is. Take a glance at, say, Golem and you can tell that it's rock type. There are exceptions, but for the most part you can tell the typing from a glance at the sprite. In the later gens there are some sprites that I have absolutely no idea on, with Florges, Dhlemise and Fomantis/Lurantis being particularly bad offenders. And as for the ultra beasts, how is this grass type, this flying type and this a goddamn rock/poison type?

To be fair those three are a) Legendaries, which can sometimes be tough to get a type reading on (Dialga, Palkia) and b) Some sort of extradimensional eldritch beings.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
According to the page you linked. That rock/poison type seems to be based on a jellyfish which seems to make sense for poison. Though it's tentative at best. gently caress knows how they got rock from that though. I don't think it even has bones.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Onmi posted:

By the way, if we're talking about nonsensical roadblocks, then I think the chief among them must go to the fanhack Pokemon Glazed. The situation is you're invading the underground hideout of a church of Arceus worshippers to find their leader Pius (It's as bad as it sounds.) all so you can rescue Jasmine who got kidnapped. So you battle guards, move to the bad guys office and a dude off to the side shouts "No entering without permission!"

And you just can't enter. You are storming the enemy base, there is nothing in front of you, the door isn't locked, this guy wont fight you. He just compels you to not attack by saying you aren't allowed in. So you have to search for another route.

Team Flare did this loving constantly.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Mr. Vile posted:

The Ultra Beasts are meant to feel otherworldly and wrong, so the hosed-up typings make sense there (if you want an explanation for the Rock type on Nihilego, it could be related to how some space aliens/extra-dimensional beings are depicted as silicon-based life to underscore their alien nature). As for the rest, sometimes it's given an explanation (Dhelmise is the seaweed around the anchor, not the anchor itself), sometimes it's not (the Flabebe line and Comfey look like they should have a Grass subtype, and Lurantis looks like it should be part Bug, but they aren't, for no real reason aside from gameplay).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mr. Vile posted:

And as for the ultra beasts, how is this grass type, this flying type and this a goddamn rock/poison type?

The Ultra Beasts are extradimensional creatures and do not conform to our 3d paradigms. Perhaps it is hosed up to them that Golem is Rock/Ground?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Mr. Vile posted:

this a goddamn rock/poison type?

oh hey, nihilego. someone at nintendo liked the username i used as a teen!

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Ultra Beasts are extradimensional creatures and do not conform to our 3d paradigms. Perhaps it is hosed up to them that Golem is Rock/Ground?

The Ultra Beasts do seem to kind of make a point of having weird types for an "otherwordly" theme, but I feel like some kind of concession should have been made for gameplay reasons.

Besides, they already did that trick back in Gen 2 with Sudowoodo :colbert:.

Dhelmise I can forgive because they do justify it in the dex entry with the anchor just being a thing the actual seaweed pokemon picked up, but again, that trick was fun the first time they pulled it with Sudowoodo. Having one deliberately misleading sprite is cute, especially when it has a punny name to go with it. Having a half a dozen of them just rubs me the wrong way.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The Watercrown posted:

If you pick the grass starter, you will lose the tutorial fight.

There is a built-in Nuzlocke mode in this game. You can render your game into an unwinnable state by failing a personality test five minutes in.

Regarding Trade Evolutions being an atrocity, please remember this is a PC game which does not have the advantage of portability and relies on ad-hoc internet connectivity to allow said trades to function. If the game's servers ever go down (incredibly likely given the game's already been C&D'd) then all of those evolutions become entirely inaccessible without hacking the game. More than even with a romhack, this is rather inexcusable from a design standpoint.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
To be fair to Kartana and Celesteela, Kartana is basically made to look as much like a piece of paper as possible and Celesteela resembles a space shuttle in the initial stages of flight.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

krisslanza posted:

So you mean the Cazadors, right?

Them or the loving army of Deathclaws in the quarry.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Mr. Vile posted:

The Ultra Beasts do seem to kind of make a point of having weird types for an "otherwordly" theme, but I feel like some kind of concession should have been made for gameplay reasons.

Besides, they already did that trick back in Gen 2 with Sudowoodo :colbert:.

Dhelmise I can forgive because they do justify it in the dex entry with the anchor just being a thing the actual seaweed pokemon picked up, but again, that trick was fun the first time they pulled it with Sudowoodo. Having one deliberately misleading sprite is cute, especially when it has a punny name to go with it. Having a half a dozen of them just rubs me the wrong way.

After your first encounter with any Pokemon in Gen VII, the game tells you which moves have what effectiveness, it may be that the feature was implemented in part as a concession to players potentially confused by the visual design of a given Pokemon they're not familiar with. Really, there's a ton of Pokemon whose type or subtype isn't immediately obvious based on their visual design, and you need to consult the Pokedex for an explanation of how their looks lead to their type, and even then there's some designs that make no sense. Has there ever been an explanation for why Gyarados is part flying-type?

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

OneDeadman posted:

To be fair to Kartana and Celesteela, Kartana is basically made to look as much like a piece of paper as possible and Celesteela resembles a space shuttle in the initial stages of flight.

I think Celesteela is based on a bamboo shoot so I was really confused when it turned out not to be grass type.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I will say that every single time I see a Gliscor I forget that it's a Ground type.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!

EclecticTastes posted:

Has there ever been an explanation for why Gyarados is part flying-type?
I think I remember reading somewhere that it was because Game Freak didn't want to give it Dragon subtyping because it would be super hard to break in Gen 1, where there was no Dragon STAB to speak of, and Magikarp were EVERYWHERE. Or maybe that was a theory I latched onto.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

flarp22 posted:

I think I remember reading somewhere that it was because Game Freak didn't want to give it Dragon subtyping because it would be super hard to break in Gen 1, where there was no Dragon STAB to speak of, and Magikarp were EVERYWHERE. Or maybe that was a theory I latched onto.

Well, yeah, I get the gameplay justification, Gyarados-but-Dragon is a deeply irritating prospect, but most odd typings got a reason in the Pokedex at some point. Guess it just got grandfathered in.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

I've always held that a couple of the weirder ones from gen 1 are because they used poison as a kind of substitute for dark-type, hence the bat being flying/poison.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

homeless hungry plz help posted:

Conkeldurr actually has a design philosophy behind it that makes its evolutionary line cohesive and actually good. Barewl is indecipherable and only later down the line does it look even have a discernible form, though even that's debatable.

I think Conkeldurr is actually pretty good, btw. Just because something's ugly doesn't mean it's stupid or badly designed.

Conkeldurr is a scourge on this planet and its designer should be euthanized, but I will agree that it has a cohesive design, unlike our friend barewl

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Mr. Vile posted:

I think Celesteela is based on a bamboo shoot so I was really confused when it turned out not to be grass type.

Celesteela is based on Princess Kaguya from The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, which is why it looks like its made of Bamboo, its Steel Flying because its literally a goddamn rocket ship built to go to the moon.

Kartana is Grass/Steel because its literally an origami samurai wearing metal armor over its paper body.

edit: Although somewhat amusingly because there are so many cutting based flying moves and Celasteela flies by rocket propulsion, Kartana learns more flying moves then it.

Meanwhile because Celestella is based on a bamboo shoot and Kartana is based on paper, Celestella actually learns more grass moves of the two.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 22, 2017

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

GeneX posted:

Conkeldurr is a scourge on this planet and its designer should be euthanized, but I will agree that it has a cohesive design, unlike our friend barewl

...Wh... Di... Did Conkeldurr hurt you in some way?

What did Conkeldurr do to you?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Mr. Vile posted:

Nihilego's a rock type because it looks like it's made from glass, although that could be more of an argument for it being ground instead.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

flarp22 posted:

Actually it's because there just was no dragon type until the rear end end of development and flying was their go-to replacement for the concept. Charizard was the same deal.

e: Also the UBs have bizarre typings because they're supposed to be hosed up and wrong, that's kind of their Thing

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

homeless hungry plz help posted:

...Wh... Di... Did Conkeldurr hurt you in some way?

What did Conkeldurr do to you?

It looks like a roided clown on the brink of death. Its one of the only pokemon I find really repulsive (along with Stantler, Tympole, Mr. Mime and loving Diggersby)

:colbert:

CoffeeAvenger
Nov 3, 2016
I actually don't mind most canon pokemon designs, but there's no excuse for Bruxish. It's like Lisa Frank exploded on a humuhumu and gave it nightmarish teeth. :gonk:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

There is a built-in Nuzlocke mode in this game. You can render your game into an unwinnable state by failing a personality test five minutes in.

You know, the fact it has a built-in Nuzlocke mode, they should've made it so the mode went both ways. You're killing everyone else's Pokemon too. Then Theo has a reason to cry. :colbert:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

CoffeeAvenger posted:

It's like Lisa Frank exploded on a humuhumu and gave it nightmarish teeth. :gonk:

Is it supposed to be a triggerfish? :raise: It looks more like a filefish.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Has there ever been an explanation for why Gyarados is part flying-type?

It flies, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Amidiri posted:

It flies, doesn't it?

No, not unless you count the generic floating above the ground during battle that all fish-like Pokemon do. The only Flying-type moves it can learn in the entire franchise are Hurricane and Bounce (and the latter only from a Move Tutor in Gen VI).

• Locked thread