Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zaggitz posted:

How's the port for Ys Origins. I know DotEmu is extremely hit or miss.

I've only played up to the first boss but it seems okay, only issue is the sounds levels seem a bit weird, I had to turn bgm way up and sound effects down.
The CGI movies look like rear end but then they always did.
Oh and the life bar and stuff in the corner is a little too small for me to see comfortably, but I'm old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

witcher 1 is worth playing just for the hilariously bad voice acting

i'd say that if the gameplay wasn't really, really draining

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

i'd say that if the gameplay wasn't really, really draining
use copious amounts of cheats, and by that i mean use CheatEngine to give yourself 15 bronze, 10 silver and 5 gold talents off the bat, and run past all drowners

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh what is this epilogue dungeon in CS2 even, this is my nightmare. A million new party members to obsessively optimize, randomly generated floors, what I assume to be bonus party members via the phantasmal mirrors, this is clearly meant for you to be able to grind everyone forever and really mess around with the combat system. Which uh, I don't think is really all that fun. Is it long if I just rush through with my favourite party?

Also I really hope I'm not missing any dialogue or somesuch by not actually equipping everyone to their teeth and trying them out because jeez at my pace that would take literal hours and I need to convince myself not to do it.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 21, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Use the Mirrors, they're SEVERELY overpowered and will cut a loving swath through the dungeon.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Endorph posted:

witcher 1 is worth playing just for the hilariously bad voice acting

I don't speak to plebes.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

the epilogue dungeon is super short if you beeline the critical path, and yeah use the mirrors they turn it into a joke.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Oh what is this epilogue dungeon in CS2 even, this is my nightmare. A million new party members to obsessively optimize, randomly generated floors, what I assume to be bonus party members via the phantasmal mirrors, this is clearly meant for you to be able to grind everyone forever and really mess around with the combat system.

Lol don't do any of this just run through to the boss. It's a randomized dungeon anyway there's nothing unique to find in it.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, the mirrors are pretty strong. They're very expensive too, though you should have quite a lot of sepith to sell off after the Infernal Castle.

If you blaze through the dungeon floors, you'll finish the dungeon in fairly short order. If you worry about OCD tendencies, resist the opportunity to open the monster chests that appear on each floor and respawn if you leave and re-enter the old schoolhouse. Once you start grinding for overpowered quartz like additional Domination, Hades or Wrath quartz, it becomes really hard to stop. :supaburn:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The mirror characters are broken as poo poo, especially Vita

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

If anyone is interested in this stuff like I am. I found out the other day that Jess Chavez(who worked on Trails FC, SC and Xanadu next) is on the loc team for Tokyo Xanadu. So it may not be an Xseed job but you know it'll be good.

Fingers continue to be crossed that NISA doesn't completely bungle Ys.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Oh what is this epilogue dungeon in CS2 even, this is my nightmare. A million new party members to obsessively optimize, randomly generated floors, what I assume to be bonus party members via the phantasmal mirrors, this is clearly meant for you to be able to grind everyone forever and really mess around with the combat system. Which uh, I don't think is really all that fun. Is it long if I just rush through with my favourite party?

Also I really hope I'm not missing any dialogue or somesuch by not actually equipping everyone to their teeth and trying them out because jeez at my pace that would take literal hours and I need to convince myself not to do it.
it's like 30 minutes if you just through it, and that's including the final boss battle. it's really not as big a deal as the game makes it out to be

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's no big dialogue to miss either, except maybe for victory quotes with the mirrors but you can just YouTube those.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Estelle's kinda meant to be a frontline fighter type, isn't she? Feels like physical stuff's a bit worse than using Arts.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Estelle plays a lot more like a JoAT, filling in the gaps for really whatever you need at that particular moment. As I recall, all her stats are average to above average, but none are outstanding.

Reason why you find Arts are better than physical stuff is that Arts are generally better in Sky, barring things like Mr. Wild Rage and Thunder God Kick.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Estelle's a jack-of-all-trades tilting towards physical fighting. Her physical damage is good, but not great. She's no Agate/Zane/Joshua in terms of Str, but her Hurricane/Comet crafts give her a good deal of utility and her area buff craft is a quick and easy way to at least partially close the damage gap between physicals and arts. (which cost EP)

Estelle's Ats-stat is decent, but below Joshua's (though she's more flexible due to her lack of elemental slots), so he usually gets the offensive spells while people put her in the support/healing magic role. She can still fling arts around if she's partnered with physically-oriented characters like Agate.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Estelle's kinda meant to be a frontline fighter type, isn't she? Feels like physical stuff's a bit worse than using Arts.

she's theoretically a jack of all trades but the combat balance in sky means that while the good physical dudes like Agate are still good, if you have average strength and average magic you'll do better with magic.

i used her physical attacks in SC a lot more then FC since they buffed physical attacks going in, but all things told she probably works best as a support caster given morale + flexible orbment line + decent defenses

she does have a hidden buff of all her upgraded crafts having lower cooldown then average. also hardbreak/true hardbreak is her strongest regular craft

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 24, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I used her as a phsyical attacker through most of the game and she kept up well enough since she was loaded up with those accessories and orbments that increase attack, etc.

Then my arts users disappeared so she suddenly became main healer and death screamer. It worked out pretty well and the time gem is OP as all hell even if it lowers damage.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The only rods I have are the default one and Piscis Heart - should I just not bother with the quest to get a Pearlgrass fish?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Justin_Brett posted:

The only rods I have are the default one and Piscis Heart - should I just not bother with the quest to get a Pearlgrass fish?

You can catch them with the default rod and Earthworms but it'll probably take a few tries.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It must have taken pity on me because it just threw one at me right after I read that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also I am finally at the real final dungeon. Yes, the real real one.

Will be getting something to eat, finishing it up, and then I guess I'll write down my thoughts about the two games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ys 8 PS4 drops in japan May 25th. Falcom also put out the boxart, which is mostly reused aside from a new character in the upper left, and given that the rest are all party members...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And beaten! I really liked both games. The combat was an improvement over Sky, but I do think the smaller arenas and overall faster pace do bring some issues as well. Other than that I'd probably echo a lot of thoughts here. Cast was overall stronger but had less to do and less connections to the villains and the events themselves weren't as grand as Sky's, probably because there was no Sept-Terrion involved.

Favorite NPC I remember the name of: I don't know, too many. Patiry, BECKY YASSSSS, Annabelle, Zats nahaahaha, the list goes on.

Favorite NPC I don't remember the name of: The priest in Legram nahahaha

Least favorite NPC I remember the name of: Gretta. She's the pianist in the restaurant in Bareahard. You have nothing to add! I only remember your name because you stand out so little!

I goddamn loving knew Thomas was a Gralsritter. Did not call Rosine as his squire though, that caught me off-guard. I also thought we were only dealing with one Sept-Terrion (the treasure of fire) but I guess we'll be dealing with two in ToCS3. Water, I guess.

Terper fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 28, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Favorite character: Duvalie

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Motto posted:

Ys 8 PS4 drops in japan May 25th. Falcom also put out the boxart, which is mostly reused aside from a new character in the upper left, and given that the rest are all party members...

Intriguing

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Why did they think the fourth tower boss getting a free round was remotely fair at all, holy gently caress.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Why did they think the fourth tower boss getting a free round was remotely fair at all, holy gently caress.

The rennede insta-wipe is a rite of passage

If you're struggling just go in with 200 cp and take out all the adds immediately

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I am surprised by how much I ended up liking McBurn. He's so endearing in his XTREMENESS. I could watch the guy power up all day.

Now the only question is if it will be him or Campanella as the penultimate final boss of the franchise.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pft he's just a vampire, they'll take him out in CS3

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Terper posted:

I am surprised by how much I ended up liking McBurn. He's so endearing in his XTREMENESS. I could watch the guy power up all day.

Now the only question is if it will be him or Campanella as the penultimate final boss of the franchise.

You'll fight 'em both at once. That'd probably be a total nightmare.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

xseed mentioned on their forums that they have some yet unannounced falcom games in the pipe. I doubt it's Crossbell with 3rd still unreleased, so it seems like we might be getting another of their old pc library like we did Xanadu Next

what I'm saying is that I'm looking forward to Dinosaur Resurrection

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finally, an english release of Vantage Master VM Japan

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Colonel posted:

finally, an english release of Vantage Master VM Japan

Unironic hell yeah

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

xseed mentioned on their forums that they have some yet unannounced falcom games in the pipe. I doubt it's Crossbell with 3rd still unreleased, so it seems like we might be getting another of their old pc library like we did Xanadu Next

what I'm saying is that I'm looking forward to Dinosaur Resurrection

... why?

Just because they haven't released it yet isn't a reason to not stuff Crossbell in the pipe.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Doomhammer posted:

You'll fight 'em both at once. That'd probably be a total nightmare.

It's all ogre now

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Supremezero posted:

... why?

Just because they haven't released it yet isn't a reason to not stuff Crossbell in the pipe.

I can't 100% say you're wrong but also my intent with that was to try and preempt the thread spiraling into the "is crossbell feasible" for the nth time so if you'd please

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
its zwei 2

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Overbite posted:

its zwei 2
Please, just so that chapter in my life can finally be closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

I can't 100% say you're wrong but also my intent with that was to try and preempt the thread spiraling into the "is crossbell feasible" for the nth time so if you'd please

I refuse! :colbert:

Just because.