Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
People often respond altruistically in the wake of a crisis or tragedy with no clear selfish angle, even if removed from the situation. I would guess that altruism is just as hard coded into our biology as selfishness is, and that maybe there's some kind of evolutionary benefit to not always being a shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pineapple is good on pizza. Pineapple is good on ham. Ham is good on pizza.

Pineapple AND ham on pizza is loving disgusting.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Toadvine posted:

Actually people are afflicted with consciousness and thus varying levels of empathy. We behave selfishly when we're removed from the consequences of our actions.

we can't comprehend our actions beyond our face

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Nobody wants to save the whales or frogs or whatever because they think the environment will be sad if we don't. People do get emotional about it because while it may not meet your bar for being "sentient" it is still life and preserving it when possible is a worthwhile thing.

You'd have to be a heartless moron to not prevent the extinction of a species if we are able to. Why wouldn't we? It's morally wrong to see that humanity is causing things to go extinct and not try and do something about it, no matter how cute or ugly or unintelligent the thing is. Unless it's the mosquito, in which case let those fuckers die forever.

Plus, better safe than sorry. The planet's ecosystem is incredibly complex, and we are only starting to scratch the surface of how different speices interact. Remove enough blocks from a Jenga tower and it will collapse, and half the fun of the game is not knowing which block will bring it down. Secondly, what if the insignificant insect we wipe out to make way for an opencast mine turns out to be the source of the next generation of antibiotics? Thirdly, the year 2286 will be a lot easier to deal with if we don't have to resort to time travel.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Secular Humanist posted:

People aren't inherently one thing or another but rather are animated by their genetic predispositions combined with their external circumstances because the world isn't a zero sum binary dumbfest for babies

Well, yeah. That doesn't mean ethics aren't important.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Grevling posted:

:roflbarf:

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I knew I was different. I thought that I might be gay or something because I couldn't identify with any of the guys at all. None of them liked art or music. They just wanted to fight and get laid. It was many years ago but it gave me this real hatred for the average American macho male.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Donald Trump is a lovely human being and an embarrassment but he was the only hope of changing the status quo of American society and government, for good or bad.

People were so hopeless and downtrodden that changing the status quo was more important than the very likely possibility of it going bad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poly people should be broadly accepted by society and allowed to marry in their triad or throuple or metamour or whatever so that hopefully they'll be less annoying to everyone else. It probably won't work.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

chumbler posted:

Poly people should be broadly accepted by society and allowed to marry in their triad or throuple or metamour or whatever so that hopefully they'll be less annoying to everyone else. It probably won't work.

I'm sure divorce lawyers would love this idea - at least one guaranteed divorce per "marriage" most likely within the first year or two, probably a double or more divorce. They could charge even more than normal since it would be a lot more complex to split things up after the divorce. At least, that would be true if poly people had money to pay their lawyer fees, which is pretty unlikely given the type of person that typically turns to that kind of lifestyle.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

chumbler posted:

taxes are the problem, they don't really want to be formally married if it means losing their single with kids tax status and welfare

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

chumbler posted:

I think we should allow any form or combination of marriage as long as it pisses off old white people.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nolan Arenado posted:

I think we should allow any form or combination of marriage as long as it pisses off old white people.

As long as they're humans, adults, of sound mind, and consenting, sure.

Hell, maybe even allow inanimate objects.

I'm even being kinda serious. Don't allow people to claim heteronormative marriage as some special privileged class.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 21, 2017

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

chumbler posted:

I dont see the harm

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

chumbler posted:

As long as they're humans, adults, of sound mind, and consenting, sure.

wtf so I can't marry a dragon? you're a bigot

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

For sure allow inanimate objects. Can you imagine how enraged people would be when they see folks marrying their anime pillows or whatever?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Making new babies is morally wrong. There are already too many existing people and there half a million kids in America alone that need adopting.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Grevling posted:

read ethics as ethnics first

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Making new babies is morally wrong. There are already too many existing people and there half a million kids in America alone that need adopting.

It's not really as long as you take care of it properly. Adopting isn't always as easy as popping by the baby store and picking out the best one. It's already hard enough for parents who want to adopt to get through the process, if you started forcing people to adopt instead of having their own kids it would be even worse.

If you want to save the world from overpopulation it's the older people that need to be culled, not new babies.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
After a certain age old people should have their brains extracted and plugged into the matrix to live forever in a virtual utopia and their avatars can be whatever they want.

Is that a good enough compromise for the boomers to gently caress off and leave us alone forever?

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
We should have agent smiths hunting down the ones that try to vote

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

It's not really as long as you take care of it properly. Adopting isn't always as easy as popping by the baby store and picking out the best one. It's already hard enough for parents who want to adopt to get through the process, if you started forcing people to adopt instead of having their own kids it would be even worse.

If you want to save the world from overpopulation it's the older people that need to be culled, not new babies.

Old people already exist. Theoretical new babies don't already exist. Instead of "kill olds" perhaps "not make as many new people" is a better choice?!?!?!?

Also the difficulty of Adoption is a hollow argument. Raising a productive member of society for 2+ decades in difficult. This isn't "going to the baby store", it's raising a human being and providing care and respect for the sanctity of life. The median values for adoption are 2-3 months of preprocessing, 3 years waiting for a healthy caucasian infant (much quicker for kids with health complications, or kids that aren't white), and $30,000. In the total investment of everything that goes into raising a human being, those are insignificant figures.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 21, 2017

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
also adopting is trivial unless you care about color/nationality/age/etc. then you're just being picky

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Yes but telling people they aren't allowed to have babies anymore until whatever arbitrary population level is reached would not go over much better than going around exterminating old people.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Yes but telling people they aren't allowed to have babies anymore until whatever arbitrary population level is reached would not go over much better than going around exterminating old people.

Okay?

I said it's ethically wrong to make new humans when existing humans need good families. You responded:

First bold: Creating new babies when existing babies exist would still be unethical
Second bold: Nonsensical. The process would get streamlined if there was an uptick in demand. Until the point where the demand of parents who want to adopt kids greatly exceed the supply of kids that need a good home. Which is the entire goal.
Third bold: Killing people is worse than slowing down the creation of new people

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I would like to get rid of the homophobes, sexists, and racists in our forums. I know they're out there and it really bothers me.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

i like that posted:

I would like to get rid of the homophobes, sexists, and racists in our forums. I know they're out there and it really bothers me.

Hmm... we need some kind of solution

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Okay?

I said it's ethically wrong to make new humans when existing humans need good families. You responded:

First bold: Creating new babies when existing babies exist would still be unethical
Second bold: Nonsensical. The process would get streamlined if there was an uptick in demand. Until the point where the demand of parents who want to adopt kids greatly exceed the supply of kids that need a good home. Which is the entire goal.
Third bold: Killing people is worse than slowing down the creation of new people

You're ignoring the fact that new babies come with a clean slate, and as unfortunate as it is many adopted kids, especially the ones that have been in the system for a while, come with a lot of baggage. Yes if there was more demand they wouldn't stay in as long eventually, but it's still a problem. Whether you think it's stupid or not, a lot of people want "their" kid, not just "a" kid and no matter how many examples you show them of adoptive families treating the kids as their own and having great relationships will never budge.

The point is it's a very simplistic "solution" to just say "just adopt instead of have your own kid" and it will never happen.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Nobody is gonna adopt when they can create a new version of themselves and live vicariously through it's achievements until their own use to society fully evaporates and they are forgotten. I mean this aint rocket science.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

You're ignoring the fact that new babies come with a clean slate, and as unfortunate as it is many adopted kids, especially the ones that have been in the system for a while, come with a lot of baggage. Yes if there was more demand they wouldn't stay in as long eventually, but it's still a problem. Whether you think it's stupid or not, a lot of people want "their" kid, not just "a" kid and no matter how many examples you show them of adoptive families treating the kids as their own and having great relationships will never budge.

The point is it's a very simplistic "solution" to just say "just adopt instead of have your own kid" and it will never happen.

The point is it's objectively true that creating a new human instead of adopting an existing human is unethical.

If you want to get into an argument about the realities of policy implementation then we can do that. But my original point that it is unethical, is without question, true.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
With the amount of perfectly healthy babies going spare for adoption, I see no reason why euthanasia shouldn't be encouraged in the case of severe mental disability from birth. Requiring parents to care for and support a child who will require 24/7 care for its natural life and will never be able to function properly in human society has the potential to blight their lives permanently. Plus, they are faced with the worry of who will care for a child who will quite possibly outlive them once they are gone. On a purely materialistic basis, such an individual will not only be a nett drain on society's resources, but will render at least one parent nonproductive as a 24/7 carer as well. Better to let the parents grieve, get on with their lives, and try again.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The point is it's objectively true that creating a new human instead of adopting an existing human is unethical.

If you want to get into an argument about the realities of policy implementation then we can do that. But my original point that it is unethical, is without question, true.

Holy cow :goonsay:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Does "objectively" mean objectively, or "I have already decided that my opinion is irrefutable fact"?

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So this is the most unfitting thread to post this but Toadvine seems like a real jerk.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

fruit on the bottom posted:

Does "objectively" mean objectively, or "I have already decided that my opinion is irrefutable fact"?

It means "I am a wide eyed 20 something learning about things for the first time"

(so the latter then)

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Not very controversial for an internet forum but i think that generally anything that upsets bitter old men is probably actually good and beneficial and i use this as the barometer of my opinions.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

fruit on the bottom posted:

It means "objectively".

There is a [parental unit]. The composition can be whatever; 2 Dads, 2 Moms, 1 of each, single parent, whatever. The defining traits of the [parental unit] is that they:
a) want to provide for child/ren
and
b) have the capacity to provide for child/ren.

The parental unit decides they are going to add 1 child to their family. They have two options:

1. Create a new human
2. Adopt a child that needs a good home

For each additional child the [parental unit] wants to add to their family, they are presented with the same 2 options. Because at the current time the parental unit is going to add a single child to their family, these are mutually exclusive options. The opportunity cost of creating a new human is condemning a child to stay in the childcare system instead of providing them a loving home. This is objectively unethical.

If you don't agree then you either don't understand objectivity or have a seriously hosed up set of ethics.

And this doesn't even touch on the environmental impacts of overpopulation.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Secular Humanist posted:

It means "I am a wide eyed 20 something learning about things for the first time"

(so the latter then)

You're dumb. Also probably ugly with bad breath.

Your previous response to my ethics position is "many people do this and like doing this". Which has no bearing on whether or not something is ethical.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It means "objectively".

There is a [parental unit]. The composition can be whatever; 2 Dads, 2 Moms, 1 of each, single parent, whatever. The defining traits of the [parental unit] is that they:
a) want to provide for child/ren
and
b) have the capacity to provide for child/ren.

The parental unit decides they are going to add 1 child to their family. They have two options:

1. Create a new human
2. Adopt a child that needs a good home

For each additional child the [parental unit] wants to add to their family, they are presented with the same 2 options. Because at the current time the parental unit is going to add a single child to their family, these are mutually exclusive options. The opportunity cost of creating a new human is condemning a child to stay in the childcare system instead of providing them a loving home. This is objectively unethical.

If you don't agree then you either don't understand objectivity or have a seriously hosed up set of ethics.

And this doesn't even touch on the environmental impacts of overpopulation.

I wish you'd go back in time and show this to your parents so this post would never be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
theres literally nothing wrong with kink shaming

• Locked thread