Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Jota posted:

Philly seems like just about the only team that could offer good value for Lillard and would possibly want him.

What's fair value for Lillard?

As a Blazers fan I would probably want Okafor, TJ, the LAL pick, and the SAC pick. Noel doesn't make sense since he's about to get paid and overlaps in skillset with Nurkic. Simmons would be amazing but Philly isn't going to let him go I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

As a Blazers fan I would probably want Okafor, TJ, the LAL pick, and the SAC pick. Noel doesn't make sense since he's about to get paid and overlaps in skillset with Nurkic. Simmons would be amazing but Philly isn't going to let him go I don't think.

That seems waaaaay too much.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

One of the two picks

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

I think that is wildly overvaluing a PG who isn't a great passer, has a sub-45 FG%, isn't a great 3-point shooter, and plays no defense.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

roundmidnight posted:

I think that is wildly overvaluing a PG who isn't a great passer, has a sub-45 FG%, isn't a great 3-point shooter, and plays no defense.

Huh, I could have sworn Lillard was a much better 3 point shooter than he actually is

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Huh, I could have sworn Lillard was a much better 3 point shooter than he actually is

He just takes a million of them, nails a few really tough ones, and they look really cool when they go in.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Lillard is really good at shooting off the dribble, but he probably tries to do it too much.

Rick posted:

To be fair, no, they weren't. The Lakers had zero centers and SFs on their roster, and the closest things to superstars in Barnes and Whiteside wanted to play for winning teams. They paid literal market value for a non-D league level unrestricted free agents.

The combination of those two for 34 mil a year over 4 years is not a great signing. It's not catastrophic, but it wasn't good. Plus Mozgov was immediately signed, they pulled a Vlade taking that deal ASAP.

Like, go get Gerald Henderson and Ezeli and spend 1/3 or less.Or James Johnson and Tyley Zeller. I dunno, lots of gross choices but they cost a lot less.

Like I said, I don't think its totally horrible, if your committed to a rebuild those guys are worth while because they can help your guys grow and ride the bench without a problem, but obviously the Lakers weren't committed to the rebuild.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Lillard in the East easily makes the all star team for the next few years I think.

Okafor plus whatever pick gets us Fultz or Ball

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

roundmidnight posted:

He just takes a million of them, nails a few really tough ones, and they look really cool when they go in.

Oh, the old Kobe strat

Kobe probably would have shot 2% or 3% better on his career if he didn't take so many dumbass 3 pointers

Also, sounds like Magic is super committed to trading Lou and there are rumors that multiple teams are offering a first round pick for him. Take the loving pick and run

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

I like Lillard, but there's no way Philly gives up this much to add a $100+ million, ball dominant guard who doesn't play defense when they probably will be able to draft at least one of Fultz, Ball, Smith, Ntkilina and have them on a rookie contract.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I forgot Colangelo is in charge of the 76ers.

I now demand Simmons, Okafor, and both picks

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

Lillard is really good at shooting off the dribble, but he probably tries to do it too much.

The combination of those two for 34 mil a year over 4 years is not a great signing. It's not catastrophic, but it wasn't good. Plus Mozgov was immediately signed, they pulled a Vlade taking that deal ASAP.

Like, go get Gerald Henderson and Ezeli and spend 1/3 or less.Or James Johnson and Tyley Zeller. I dunno, lots of gross choices but they cost a lot less.

Like I said, I don't think its totally horrible, if your committed to a rebuild those guys are worth while because they can help your guys grow and ride the bench without a problem, but obviously the Lakers weren't committed to the rebuild.

It's not like there was another center who matched the "could kind of play offense" criteria the Lakers were looking for. And why make a gross choice that costs less when you have the money to spend?

And I mean even if you don't like the contracts, is it a reason to get rid of Kupchak like Tae is implying?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
The mozgov signing was an obviously terrible move and defending it will make you look really bad.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

mike- posted:

The mozgov signing was an obviously terrible move and defending it will make you look really bad.

It was bad, but it was market value bad

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

mike- posted:

Wow great counterargument to the points I made. Can I interest you in a website https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

It was bad, but it was market value bad

I don't think this is much of an excuse and I wish some other team would have paid mozgov his "market value" instead of the lakers.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

Wow great counterargument to the points I made. Can I interest you in a website https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/

It was a dumb take, but no need to be rude

mike- posted:

I don't think this is much of an excuse and I wish some other team would have paid mozgov his "market value" instead of the lakers.

I mean Biyombo, Mahimi, and Noah got a similar deal and putting up similar numbers or worse

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 21, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
This week in vague headlines, from the Chron: Rockets may target versatile player for depth at multiple positions

Also this week: Morey needs breast reduction surgery :stonkhat:

chunkles fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 21, 2017

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

roundmidnight posted:

LOL

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

zelah posted:

Lillard in the East easily makes the all star team for the next few years I think.

IT, Kyrie, Wall, Lowry are all better than Lillard. Kemba probably too

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Glumslinger posted:

It was a dumb take, but no need to be rude
It seems correct to me. Mozgov is a 20mpg warm 7' body to throw out there and they're paying him $15m for this year and three more. By the last couple years he'll probably be playing under 10mpg. Luol Deng is on the wrong side of 30 and has been declining for years, and they're paying him $18m this year and three more. By the last couple years he won't play at all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I love Trade deadline time because it puts on full display around here how different fans and people view players around the league.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/834079854307975168
drat Kings killed f5 season

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

IT, Kyrie, Wall, Lowry are all better than Lillard. Kemba probably too

Neither IT nor Wall were obviously better than him until IT made a huge leap this season (his age 27 season, which Lillard hasn't yet played).

I've been unhappy with his play this season since a couple months into the season, although there are whispers that he's still hurt.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Not many teams have a player with steph potential so this shouldn't matter

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

It seems correct to me. Mozgov is a 20mpg warm 7' body to throw out there and they're paying him $15m for this year and three more. By the last couple years he'll probably be playing under 10mpg. Luol Deng is on the wrong side of 30 and has been declining for years, and they're paying him $18m this year and three more. By the last couple years he won't play at all.

Mozgov has played about 20 minutes total the past month but no one could have seen that coming! Other than basically everyone who ridiculed the signing when it happened because bringing in a thirty year old plodding center with knee issues wasn't going to mesh with a young core that was envisioned to play up tempo basketball.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Papercut posted:

Neither IT nor Wall were obviously better than him until IT made a huge leap this season (his age 27 season, which Lillard hasn't yet played).

I've been unhappy with his play this season since a couple months into the season, although there are whispers that he's still hurt.

I'm just saying that the idea that he "easily makes the all-star game in the east" isn't all that realistic, there's definitely stiff competition

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Problem with Lillard is Portlands position on the win curve w him, no obvious way to improve in short term. Lowers his trade value.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I think his performance would improve playing in the East and he's already on the cusp or making it every year in the West vs better guards. I don't think it's unreasonable.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

mike- posted:

Mozgov has played about 20 minutes total the past month but no one could have seen that coming! Other than basically everyone who ridiculed the signing when it happened because bringing in a thirty year old plodding center with knee issues wasn't going to mesh with a young core that was envisioned to play up tempo basketball.

The bigger problem with mozgov is that he was clearly brought in to be a stop gap. Why they thought they needed to hand out a 4 year contract for a stop gap is what most people take exception to.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

It's not like there was another center who matched the "could kind of play offense" criteria the Lakers were looking for. And why make a gross choice that costs less when you have the money to spend?

And I mean even if you don't like the contracts, is it a reason to get rid of Kupchak like Tae is implying?

No absolutely not. I think Kupchak was actually doing the right thing and is a top-end FO guy. The problem is he didn't have buy-in. Like I said, those guys are good if your "stealth tanking" (ie, not actually trying to tank but making sure you don't have veterans who are too good and take playing time from your young players). I'd rather take a gross twosome that I pay 10 million for than a bit-better-than-gross" twosome that I spend 34 million on.

You and I are agreed that this was a bad move by the Lakers. They should have ridden out the rebuild a little longer, and the team was actually looking pretty good, even if they weren't quite ready to put up a lot of Ws yet.

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean Biyombo, Mahimi, and Noah got a similar deal and putting up similar numbers or worse

"It's no worse than Noah's deal" is damning with pretty faint praise, but I agree that is was "market-bad" not a disaster.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The main problem I have is the years. The annual rate is whatever, everyone got bad contracts in the offseason, but if 4 years is what you needed to give to get those guys, pass on it. Center was a plentiful market if you're looking for stop-gaps.

My other problem with the Deng signing is that they signed him to be an SF, when his best minutes was playing as a small ball 4 and the Lakers clearly weren't going to do that with a billion PF's.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/portland-trail-blazers/evan-turner-6883/

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I like Lillard, but there's no way Philly gives up this much to add a $100+ million, ball dominant guard who doesn't play defense when they probably will be able to draft at least one of Fultz, Ball, Smith, Ntkilina and have them on a rookie contract.

Exactly.

I want Magic to make a 'win soon' move that gets the Lakers out of the bottom three. I would very much like the sixers to have multiple top 10 picks (Ntilikina and Isaac please)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Drummond is almost certainly gone from the Pistons this week.

Hopefully they'll get someone who doesn't mope after he misses a shot, and then has to sit out long stretches of time late in close games because he shoots free throws like Stevie Wonder.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
The Mahinmi contract looks worse than the Evan Turner one at this point. ET's put up 1 winshare this year so far baby

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
There are so many good guards coming out this year that I find it interesting that it seems like Sixers fans online have fallen in love with Frank Ntilikina, who I don't think any have ever actually seen play basketball.

I mean not having seen someone play and having strong opinions on them is a big part of the draft process, but you'd figure they get more attached to someone in college with how many good US prospects there are.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

The Lakers needed to fill these positions and they did so with players who--when you throw out the top of the class who didn't want to play for them anyway--are playing at or better than the production level of the rest of the class. And by all accounts, both guys are good locker room guys, which is what the Lakers desperately needed considering they are set to win less than 30 games this year and probably next year as well. It doesn't matter that the contracts are 3, 4 years, because one thing that's been proven over and over again, if you really need to, you can get out of any contract in the NBA.

And like what do you think the Lakers should have been saving this money for? Have you looked at who's going to be a free agent next year? And do you really think guys are going to be moving en masse under the new CBA? Building through free agency while being a bad team is dead. If the Lakers didn't prove that over the last two years, should they just keep on proving it, or maybe try to do something else?

And worse case scenario, if they need more money, and they can't trade them, they can stretch them. That's why Zach Lowe, Woj, all said before free agency last year "teams are just going to give guys the years because it's no longer considered an issue to get the last half of the contract off of the cap books" but somehow people are still surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
https://twitter.com/bball_ref/status/834167091083300866

when basketball reference is subtweeting you, poo poo's gone reaaaal sideways.

• Locked thread