Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lockback posted:

"It's no worse than Noah's deal" is damning with pretty faint praise, but I agree that is was "market-bad" not a disaster.

Yeah, thats what I am saying. Its the rate last off-season for a center who has ever started in the recent past

Like, its a bad deal, but it wasn't out of line with the market. The market was just hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

I can't hate. If I were an NBA player I would probably do similar ridiculous things.

I don't know how Seriously Evan Turner takes himself. But it's cool so long as he's not like legit serious about it.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I feel like the Pelicans might be good. They need another guard piece. Chalmers would do wonders.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Evan Turner is the funniest NBA player by a wide margin

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Jota posted:

There are so many good guards coming out this year that I find it interesting that it seems like Sixers fans online have fallen in love with Frank Ntilikina, who I don't think any have ever actually seen play basketball.

I mean not having seen someone play and having strong opinions on them is a big part of the draft process, but you'd figure they get more attached to someone in college with how many good US prospects there are.

WINGSPAN

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

I can't hate. If I were an NBA player I would probably do similar ridiculous things.

I don't know how Seriously Evan Turner takes himself. But it's cool so long as he's not like legit serious about it.

straight up brolic posted:

Evan Turner is the funniest NBA player by a wide margin

Yep. l love him

Also I don't think it's that he doesn't take himself seriously, he takes himself so seriously that it crosses back into endearing

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Mozgov is at -0.4 VORP, Deng -0.1
paying combined $34m/yr for these guys (wrong side of age 30) to be sub-replacement until they come off the books in summer 2020 will always be bad

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It's not only sixer fans, knicks fans have also fallen in love with him because hey euros have only brought us good luck so far right!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think it's better to just sign fringe NBA guys to Hinkie Specials (four years w/ one year guaranteed) than to commit $15m+/year for 4 years to aging replacement level guys. Even if you prefer Mozgov and Deng for "stealth tank" purposes 4 years seems like a serious overextension. Those guys will be weighing you down when your young players start maturing. And honestly I think they could just sign any rear end in a top hat out of the d-league to put up Mozgov level production. I don't think those contracts are criminal enough to get guys who have been good stewards of the franchise fired but they were both awful signings.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I think it's possible that Mozgov and Deng are bad signings and that Kupchak was a very good GM with an unassailable track record on the whole.

They wanted good culture guys and good basketball players to go with the team. There's a limited quantity of them in the league, but Kupchak only fulfilled one condition

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
These players all signed contracts last off season, all but one them signed a contract larger than 50 mil

Player A: 6.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.6 apg, 35% FG, 27% 3PT
Player B: 8.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.4 apg, 39% FG, 37% 3PT
Player C: 6.1 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 1.0 apg, 53% FG, 0% 3PT
Player D: 2.4 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.0 apg, 37% FG, 0% 3PT
Player E: 2.6 pgg, 1.9 rpg, 0.5 apg, 48% FG, 0% 3PT

Guess who they are

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Jota posted:

There are so many good guards coming out this year that I find it interesting that it seems like Sixers fans online have fallen in love with Frank Ntilikina, who I don't think any have ever actually seen play basketball.

I mean not having seen someone play and having strong opinions on them is a big part of the draft process, but you'd figure they get more attached to someone in college with how many good US prospects there are.

I've watched every minute that I can of him. I recommend watching the FIBA 18 and under tournament from December. Great length and defense, good shooter, and has learned the P+R very well for someone his age.

For the Sixers I have him third behind Fultz and Jackson. I had Smith above him until the last 4-6 weeks; I've watched Smith play no defense in multiple games and even quit on his team during one game (a full on Pippen-esque refusal to go back into a game).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im all in on shaking up this low ceiling pistons team, time to check out some drummond trade proposals. okay im back, turns out we can get amir johnson if we also throw in stanley johnson, the celtics and their fans are dope and im glad to have them around in these trying times

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Please stop saying mean things about Timid Timo. He is a toddler in the body of a giant

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Please stop saying mean things about Timid Timo. He is a toddler in the body of a giant

:agreed: get this weak stuff out ov here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqiJOPXpksc

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Fast Luck posted:

I think it's better to just sign fringe NBA guys to Hinkie Specials (four years w/ one year guaranteed) than to commit $15m+/year for 4 years to aging replacement level guys. Even if you prefer Mozgov and Deng for "stealth tank" purposes 4 years seems like a serious overextension. Those guys will be weighing you down when your young players start maturing. And honestly I think they could just sign any rear end in a top hat out of the d-league to put up Mozgov level production. I don't think those contracts are criminal enough to get guys who have been good stewards of the franchise fired but they were both awful signings.

The Lakers already did the whole "sign fringe guys" thing and just couldn't even run an NBA offense. A lot of that was Byron Scott, for sure, but when you're starting Robert Sacre and making Lou Williams play small forward it doesn't exactly make executing an offense that easy (if you know anything about the Princeton offense, ask yourself how many times you saw the Lakers successfully execute something that looked like that over the last two years). For a team that's attempting to develop a lot of young players, they needed guys with base level competence around them to allow them to have at least some shot.

And again, if they need to get out of paying the last two years of that contract (or at least have them count against their cap) they can do that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This thread is being very mean to my hairy shouldered son

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Sees latest news, crosses out "Lakers" on potential Probably Magic bandwagon list.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

https://twitter.com/bball_ref/status/834167091083300866

when basketball reference is subtweeting you, poo poo's gone reaaaal sideways.

*extremely Vivek voice*

Ah yes but that is now. But you see he has.

Steph.

Curry.

Potential.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
For the record, I loved the Kobe farewell tour. You gave your legend a huge payday he earned over his career, built up goodwill, fans bought tickets, you didn't get any pesky wins that hurt your draft position, young players got to see what you get if you stick with the franchise. It was awesome. Kupchak should get an award for that.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

There's probably plenty of room on the Pels bandwagon. I've already accepted that the Knicks are going to squander Porzingis's peak years so I'm moving to something more interesting!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I feel better about my positive Pelicans sentiments in Zogo's pre-season poll. I was just half a season off!

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Spoeank posted:

*extremely Vivek voice*

Ah yes but that is now. But you see he has.

Steph.

Curry.

Potential.

Defensive potential, clearly

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Defensive potential, clearly

Posts 15 page argument by coach nick stating how steph is an elite defender

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/834170723283251200

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

id do almost anything to get him back

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Westbrook to Lakers confirmed

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

chunkles posted:

What if they were refusing to do some horrendous move

watch out thibs, might have some competition for rose here

i just hope magic thinks that corey brewer is a future Hall of Famer

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Great length and defense, good shooter, and has learned the P+R very well for someone his age.

This is the biggest reason I'm so high on him.

Obviously Fultz is in a class of his own, but if I had to select 2 other prospects it would probably be Frank and Isaac for their 3 & D potential :shrug:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

chunkles posted:

Also this week: Morey needs breast reduction surgery :stonkhat:

Breast implants. :eyepop:

The Glumslinger posted:

Huh, I could have sworn Lillard was a much better 3 point shooter than he actually is

In the first couple of months he was one of the best shooters in the whole league but in recent months he's slowed down.

Lockback posted:

By any metric he's a positive player and he's making 13 mil a year. He has trouble scoring, but his team is better with him on the floor.

Negative DBPM. Punishment: shipment to NYK.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I honestly believe Magic will be a great GM. He's a savvy businessman and has a poo poo ton of positive connections in the league. Unless he's a dumb basketball mind, which I don't think he is, he'll probably do a lot better than Vlade.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/834179260915019779

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

Jaycee Caroll plays for Real Madrid now!

Pretty good 3P shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiMNPTXEmPM

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh, and Magic was the guy who was insistent that Lakers hire Byron and kept beating the drum about it

It would be very cool if Byron was rehired and Kobe came out of retirement.

Lockback posted:

For the record, I loved the Kobe farewell tour. You gave your legend a huge payday he earned over his career, built up goodwill, fans bought tickets, you didn't get any pesky wins that hurt your draft position, young players got to see what you get if you stick with the franchise. It was awesome. Kupchak should get an award for that.

If it was so awesome maybe they should've kept Kobe on tour for a few more years. Heh...

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I really hope this doesn't gently caress up the Rockets relations with Harden/Gordon somehow

I wonder why someone would quit being an agent to do GMing stuff. Isn't that a big financial downgrade?

Not to mention statistically you'll be fired in five years and all your clients will have moved on

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

It will be a beautiful team. A big, huge, beautiful team. And the Clippers WILL pay for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bWyhj7siEY

attackmole posted:

...anecdotally feels like its went from playing a token pickup basketball level of defense to just kind of standing out of the way and taking turns chucking/throwing dunks.

The way it was Sunday night they should've had one guy on D just to inbound the ball and four guys under the basket ready to score.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Carlosologist posted:

There's probably plenty of room on the Pels bandwagon. I've already accepted that the Knicks are going to squander Porzingis's peak years so I'm moving to something more interesting!

We welcome pretty much anyone. Not the most discerning fanbase anyhow.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Fetch me the gun.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Doltos posted:

I honestly believe Magic will be a great GM. He's a savvy businessman and has a poo poo ton of positive connections in the league. Unless he's a dumb basketball mind, which I don't think he is, he'll probably do a lot better than Vlade.

Stolen from reddit, and this isn't even a comprehensive list

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
#MenCare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/834182547747659778

Yeah, Pelinka is all but confirmed to be the next GM

• Locked thread