Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Was listening to Dead Beat again the other day. It is pointed out there are six necromancers in town, but... I only counted five, including Mavra. Who's the sixth? I feel like I am missing something incredibly obvious.

Mavra, Corpsetaker, Cowl, Fedora guy, Kumori, Liver Spots.

Comedy option, Dresden himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Was listening to Dead Beat again the other day. It is pointed out there are six necromancers in town, but... I only counted five, including Mavra. Who's the sixth? I feel like I am missing something incredibly obvious.

Mortimer Lindquist?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Mavra, Corpsetaker, Cowl, Fedora guy, Kumori, Liver Spots.

Comedy option, Dresden himself.

I thought of Liver Spots, but does he ever actually do any necromancy? He's a capable caster, but it seems like Grevane is doing the work. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I was just wondering if it might have something to do with whoever ran Dresden off the road a few books down the line.

And, as always, Dead Beat has me playing the old game of, "Who are Cowl and Kumori anyways?" :allears:

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Mortimer Lindquist?

Mort's an ectomancer, and says, explicitly, that ghosts avoid those necro dudes. He wouldn't have shown up on the ghost radar.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is it true that his first wife wrote the sex scenes for him?

Yes, if you read between the lines you can see some unfulfilled bedroom fantasies going on

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

BabyFur Denny posted:

Yes, if you read between the lines you can see some unfulfilled bedroom fantasies going on

I respect myself too much to read the lines but I can understand this aspect of jim butcher's marriage

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Just finished The Hanging Tree.

I liked the book, but the ending was unsatisfying. I'd gotten all excited about watching the Nightingale and the Faceless Man go at it, only to have it end in yet another fizzle because Peter Grant is a still a terribly lovely cop. It might go over better on a reread, though, when I know not to get my hopes up.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

And, as always, Dead Beat has me playing the old game of, "Who are Cowl and Kumori anyways?" :allears:

Cowl is obviously Ebenezer's superpowered evil alter-ego corrupted (unbeknownst to him) by the Blackstaff

And Kumori is Emo Goth Yoshimo who's secretly banging Dresden-grampy

Spoiler alert!

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Felix castor series: pretty OK. Better than sandman slim, not quite as engaging as Daniel Faust.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I just finished The Hanging Tree...what a letdown.

The whole book felt like a mess of way too many things going on-the murder of a socialite involving the river gods, American intervention, Leslie May popping up, new characters, and the philosopher's stone. The last book at least had a narrative through-line: magical shenanigans going on in the contry which turned out to be faries. This feels like it's setting up for something bigger. The Iron Man 2 of the series, so to speak.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Re, the hanging tree:

My problem is the "tv violence" issue. Leslie May is head butted, knocked over, and generally gets a good beating, and then gets pepper sprayed, and there are no consequences. She can see just fine, can fight just fine, and can run away just fine, as if none of it happened. The head butt alone would scramble most folks for a good bit, and the pepper spray to the face makes the get away not just unlikely, but virtually impossible. Just like TV fights.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah, I agree.

It's just getting tiresome to see the Faceless Man and Lesley narrowly escape over and over again. It's making both Grant and Nightingale look ridiculously incompetent. That might be intentional for Grant, but Nightingale shouldn't be so useless. The obvious plot armor on all the interesting characters is annoying. If you absolutely refuse to kill off characters, stop sending them into traps they absolutely shouldn't be able to walk out of. When Nightingale sets a trap, the bad guys walk into it and it all goes to plan, it's rather baffling when the bad guys just walk away and nothing of any consequence happens.

I also really struggled to tell all the new characters apart for the first half of the book, because the investigation into the dead girl seemed to introduce a whole bunch of similar characters at once. Maybe that's just me though. It had been a while since I read the last book, and I hadn't read all the comics he was constantly referencing.

Considering how delayed the book was, I had hoped for something better.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
loving hell, I was hoping this would be the one where at least Leslie would be captured. And that reveal at the end that she was touched by Punch was fustraring because I feel a smarter writer would've lead into it better. Sure, her face was scarred and she can do magic but why not have her also exhude chaos around her like Black Cat in Spider-Man does bad luck? I mean, at least that would explain how she's able to slip away so often and would be clever.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Agreed with all of the above. I felt this book needed a stronger "win" than we got either getting L in some way, putting a severe hurt on FM and I didn't feel there was any need for more characters than we already have sitting around twiddling thumbs

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Any word on an ETA for a Chequy Files sequel? I have three main series which I rotate between equally-Chequy for X-Men antics, Daniel Faust for pulp, and Rivers of London for dry British procedurals.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Benny the Snake posted:

Any word on an ETA for a Chequy Files sequel? I have three main series which I rotate between equally-Chequy for X-Men antics, Daniel Faust for pulp, and Rivers of London for dry British procedurals.

Not that I know of, but I'm sure one is coming. Stiletto really set up the world for more books. It wasn't nearly as self-contained as The Rook.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The guy is a fairly slow writer by UF standards so I'd expect that in 2018.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

anilEhilated posted:

The guy is a fairly slow writer by UF standards so I'd expect that in 2018.

Rook came out in, what 2012? Then Stiletto was out last year. So it would be 2020 at least.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Speaking of that. Just finished listening to Stiletto. I looooved The Rook but didn't enjoy Stiletto as much. Probably because after I finished the first book, I was ready to hear about Myfanwy kick rear end and really didn't care about Odette's situation. :( It was still good but not as amazing as it could of been. I want more everyday Chequy manifestation stories too.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Daniel O'Malley needs a ghostwriter, methinks.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

Speaking of that. Just finished listening to Stiletto. I looooved The Rook but didn't enjoy Stiletto as much. Probably because after I finished the first book, I was ready to hear about Myfanwy kick rear end and really didn't care about Odette's situation. :( It was still good but not as amazing as it could of been. I want more everyday Chequy manifestation stories too.
The one part I was really missing in there were Myfanwy's papers. I know a lot of people disliked them as clumsy exposition, but the snarky takes on the magical establishment were easily my favorite part of the book.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

anilEhilated posted:

The one part I was really missing in there were Myfanwy's papers. I know a lot of people disliked them as clumsy exposition, but the snarky takes on the magical establishment were easily my favorite part of the book.

Normally I HATE lazy infodumps, but I really liked the Myfanwy's papers, too. It wasn't really for post-amnesia Myfanwy's benefit. They were for the lonesome, solitary pre-amnesia Myfanwy. They were snarky and sweet and funny and really sad.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Whatever happened to that Rook TV show? Did having Stephanie Meyer on as the producer kill it?

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 21, 2017

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Dienes posted:

Normally I HATE lazy infodumps, but I really liked the Myfanwy's papers, too. It wasn't really for post-amnesia Myfanwy's benefit. They were for the lonesome, solitary pre-amnesia Myfanwy. They were snarky and sweet and funny and really sad.

Oh yeah they were such a great combination of snark, humor and depressing inevitability :smith:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Whatever happened to that Rook TV show? Did having Stephanie Meyer on as the producer kill it?

These things go slow.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
How much influence do producers have on TV shows? :crossarms:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

How much influence do producers have on TV shows? :crossarms:

I wouldn't worry too much about Twilight cooties. It's a coproduction with Lionsgate.

Eva Longoria of Desperate Housewives fame produced John Wick and the directors never met her.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Producers in TV = Directors in Movies, in terms of where the power lies, generally. TV has a constant rotation of directors coming in for an episode at a time, but Producers are generally there for the long haul and steering the ship.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Klungar posted:

Producers in TV = Directors in Movies, in terms of where the power lies, generally. TV has a constant rotation of directors coming in for an episode at a time, but Producers are generally there for the long haul and steering the ship.

this isn't strictly true. Showrunners are often executive producers but there's usually a lot of exec producers in addition to the showrunners. Something like Game of Thrones has like four exec producers in addition to Weiss and Benioff. GRRM is one and we know he has very little to do with the actual mechanics of the show other than writing the occasional episode and being the IP creator.

I imagine Meyer and O'Malley will both be exec producers in addition to some people from Lionsgate/Hula and then the person who is showrunning.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Sure, but D&B, as producers, have more control of the show than that episode's director, even if a good director can shine through in their individual episodes.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Klungar posted:

Sure, but D&B, as producers, have more control of the show than that episode's director, even if a good director can shine through in their individual episodes.

Yes. I'm just saying that Stephanie Meyer being a producer isn't necessarily cause for concern because there's no indication that she's going to have a showrunner role.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The story broke in February of 2015, with another blurb in November of the same year and then nothing else, so I think its pretty safe to assume it's been quietly buried.

I mean, we're getting the American Gods miniseries sometime in the next year, finally, so there is that to look forward to.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Movie producers (and increasingly television producers) buy up the rights to books all the time. I mean that literally - it is constantly happening. Hell, if you're an established writer and have a vaguely good idea about a book you plan to write soon(ish), you can sometimes sell the movie rights before getting a publisher to bite.

All that is to say that just because a studio has picked up the rights to a series, and even started doing some very preliminary work, has absolutely zero bearing on whether or when a movie or show will get made based on that series.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

Yes. I'm just saying that Stephanie Meyer being a producer isn't necessarily cause for concern because there's no indication that she's going to have a showrunner role.

Yeah, I was just trying to point out that you can't necessarily compare the role/power of a Producer on a movie to that of a Producer on a TV show.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Stephenie Meyer in a project affiliated with the rook still gives me the shivers. At worst, we could see a love triangle between Myfanny, Grantchester, and the Gestalt siblings :barf:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Dresden Files Card game arrived at my door today! Can't wait to play it..

Anyone else get their copy?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Benny the Snake posted:

Stephenie Meyer in a project affiliated with the rook still gives me the shivers. At worst, we could see a love triangle between Myfanny, Grantchester, and the Gestalt siblings :barf:

Sounds more like a love rectangle.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

Sounds more like a love rectangle.

A love hexagon

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Exmond posted:

Dresden Files Card game arrived at my door today! Can't wait to play it..

Anyone else get their copy?

Still waiting on mine, and I gotta leave town for the next couple weeks starting tomorrow, so it'll be mid-March before I see mine, assuming it's been shipped.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Benny the Snake posted:

Same plus the Laundry Files for Lovecraftian shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Probably too pricey for folks here, but I figured I'd share it anyhow.

quote:

There have been ghosts on the London Underground, sad, harmless spectres whose presence does little more than give a frisson to travelling and boost tourism. But now there’s a rash of sightings on the Metropolitan Line and these ghosts are frightening, aggressive and seem to be looking for something.

Enter PC Peter Grant junior member of the Metropolitan Police’s Special Assessment unit a.k.a. The Folly a.k.a. the only police officers whose official duties include ghost hunting. Together with Jaget Kumar, his counterpart at the British Transport Police, he must brave the terrifying the crush of London’s rush hour to find the source of the ghosts.

Joined by Peter’s wannabe wizard cousin, a preschool river god and Toby the ghost hunting dog their investigation takes a darker tone as they realise that a real person’s life might just be on the line.

And time is running out to save them.

With this new novella, bestselling author Ben Aaronovitch has crafted yet another wickedly funny and surprisingly affecting chapter in his beloved Rivers of London series.