Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Guys I'm scared. This show is turning out great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Favorite part of Safety Town: the inexplicable Chad Pennington banner

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I can't wait to see the events that led to safety town

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Paid for Seeso. Why not, it's worth it for those good good boys

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Nothing inexplicable about some Chad Pennington love in Huntingdon, he and Randy Moss should be co-Mayor for Life.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The look on Griffin's face is one of a man both embarrassed and delighted to have been kicked out of Safety Town.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Are they gonna get shut down by Johnny law every ep?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I can't wait to see the events that led to safety town

Looks like they disagreed on something at some point and divided Safety Town into three lesser city states. Naturally Travis' rogue state and Griffin's police state were going to clash.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Paid for Seeso. Why not, it's worth it for those good good boys

Yeah, while one could feasibly watch the entire show within the free seven days, I'm gonna pay for at least one month so Seeso knows I'm paying money for these good good TV boys.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

mine is the line "I'M GONNA DO TOILET CRIME ALL DAY LONG"

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The logical conclusion of the show is that they burn Huntington to the ground.

poo poo's gonna get real with the mayor.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, while one could feasibly watch the entire show within the free seven days, I'm gonna pay for at least one month so Seeso knows I'm paying money for these good good TV boys.

Yeah. I'm going to as well. Their website is poo poo, is there any other good content that's worth keeping a sub? Looked like all standup and SNL clips.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They have Monty Python, and Harmonquest maybe if you like TAZ?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

This is so good

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

They have Monty Python, and Harmonquest maybe if you like TAZ?

I enjoyed Harmonquest. They also have The IT Crowd, The Young Ones, Fawlty Towers and The Kids in the Hall. If you are into standup, they have some good stuff every now and then. Big Jay's What's Your loving Deal is a crowd work show that has some good moments depending on the comics.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q_WWDaj7jg

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ohhhhhh, I'm tempted to watch them, but I feel I should wait for the actual show.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you are worried about a Seeso sub not being worth it, I will say that there are a ton of really dope shows on there.

Bajillion Dollar Properties is really good.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Not sure if this got lost in the TV discussion, but I didn't see it. new Charlie and Daddy show yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtDF5A0TfEA

Tom Funk
Feb 19, 2010

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Yeah. I'm going to as well. Their website is poo poo, is there any other good content that's worth keeping a sub? Looked like all standup and SNL clips.

Take my Wife with Cameron Esposito and Rhea Butcher is really good.

Harmonquest is rad, too.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I haven't subscribed yet, but there've been Seeso banners in the subway showing that a bunch of different comedians I like have series on there. I figure I'll at least browse around and give it a shot.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Don't you get Seeso as part of Amazon prime?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Is there like a code I can use to make sure they know I'm giving them money because of MBMBAM

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

You still have to pay for it. Prime just acts as an optional middleman you can use to subscribe to Seeso and watch their content on the Amazon Video player.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
From Forbes:

quote:

The weekly podcast My Brother, My Brother and Me had 5 million downloads last month (“that’s bonkers”, “that’s crazy,” the brothers say). Since it premiered in 2010, it has racked up over 63 million downloads. The Adventure Zone, a humor show about Dungeons & Dragons they host with their father, garnered 6 million downloads last month.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
That's probably over a million listeners then? Daaang.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

graventy posted:

That's probably over a million listeners then? Daaang.

That's (very) roughly 3 million for TAZ. I'd say probably 1.5-2 million more sanely.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Moose King posted:

You still have to pay for it. Prime just acts as an optional middleman you can use to subscribe to Seeso and watch their content on the Amazon Video player.

Yeah. It's an extra $3 a month.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Is there like a code I can use to make sure they know I'm giving them money because of MBMBAM

Nah. They really don't care. This isn't some weird little startup. It's owned by NBC/Universal. You could tweet @seesotv about your support of the boys though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I used a free week code on Amazon to watch Harmonquest, and it was super easy to use and easy to cancel. That's probably just for Amazon Prime members though.

Harmonquest is dope, so it's worth it for a month at least.

Jesus. I'd wondered, but all the podcasts always said iTunes is impossible to get metrics off of. I assume Max Fun is the most financially successful podcast network, but the fact that two of them still work other jobs makes me wonder if there's not a better way to monetize.

I'll make a completely apples and oranges comparison, because YouTube has a big ad-selling infrastructure of its own, but they'd be full-time YouTubers if they got those numbers there.

EDIT: Also, Seeso definitely knows what you're watching and knows that the first thing you watch when you sign up is what you realllllly wanted it for.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
iirc it's $200 for an ad, 100 for a personal post and there's all the max fun subs and merch but I have no idea how much that'd sell.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

PostNouveau posted:

I used a free week code on Amazon to watch Harmonquest, and it was super easy to use and easy to cancel. That's probably just for Amazon Prime members though.

Harmonquest is dope, so it's worth it for a month at least.

Jesus. I'd wondered, but all the podcasts always said iTunes is impossible to get metrics off of. I assume Max Fun is the most financially successful podcast network, but the fact that two of them still work other jobs makes me wonder if there's not a better way to monetize.

I'll make a completely apples and oranges comparison, because YouTube has a big ad-selling infrastructure of its own, but they'd be full-time YouTubers if they got those numbers there.

EDIT: Also, Seeso definitely knows what you're watching and knows that the first thing you watch when you sign up is what you realllllly wanted it for.

I'd actually assume MaxFun is less successful than Earwolf, and possibly behind Nerdist considering how much was paid for it. And NPR's podcasts may be ahead of all of them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ditto and Juice still working for Polygon makes sense since they are both enmeshed with their video series. And, c'mon, it's not like writing about video games is laborious work.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bunky posted:

Yeah. It's an extra $3 a month.

Nah. They really don't care. This isn't some weird little startup. It's owned by NBC/Universal. You could tweet @seesotv about your support of the boys though.

it does seem they get that MBMBAM is popular because I've never seen them pimp a show like this

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I assume Max Fun is the most financially successful podcast network
nerdist

quote:

They keep metrics, sure, but don't count on them to re-sign shows based on that.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

it does seem they get that MBMBAM is popular because I've never seen them pimp a show like this

That seems circumstantial. Have you heard of Seeso before the MBMBAM show? I hadn't heard of them before Big Jay Oakerson's show because I was a fan of his standup.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I'd actually assume MaxFun is less successful than Earwolf, and possibly behind Nerdist considering how much was paid for it. And NPR's podcasts may be ahead of all of them.

Oooo yeah I forgot about Nerdist. Nerdist seems to be wayy better at it now that you mention it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

god drat you seeso take my filthy australian money and let me watch the good good boys legally

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

PostNouveau posted:

I assume Max Fun is the most financially successful podcast network

Earwolf had so much advertising to deal with that they started their own podcast advertising company, and their own archive subscription network.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

Earwolf had so much advertising to deal with that they started their own podcast advertising company, and their own archive subscription network.

Oh nice. I take it they've actually been able to use a for-profit model then?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

PostNouveau posted:

Oh nice. I take it they've actually been able to use a for-profit model then?

They were bought and the company that bought them are trying to sell archive access and premium content to try to turn their app into podcast Netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

bunky posted:

nerdist

They keep metrics, sure, but don't count on them to re-sign shows based on that.

That seems circumstantial. Have you heard of Seeso before the MBMBAM show? I hadn't heard of them before Big Jay Oakerson's show because I was a fan of his standup.

Scott Aukerman plugs Bajillion Dollar Properties and Take my Wife a lot on Comedy Bang Bang. It comes across as a bridge between the New Media of podcasting (which is really just the Old Media of Pappy O'Daniels Flour Hour radio programs) and the Big Networks.

As for money talk, the Forbes article says outright that the Boys basically got paid the same for their month of shooting the SeeSo show as they do for a month of their podcast. Which either means they made beans on their TV show or they Make Bank podcasting.

Like poo poo, you look at the Chapo Trap House podcast's Patreon page, they've got almost 10K people handing over $5 a month which translates to close to 45K a month (at least that's what the Patreon page says).

If you consider that MBMBAM has close to 2-3 million active listeners, and only 0.5% of those listeners donate to MaxFun at the minimum level, that's at least $50K a month. And if you say that between distribution among all contributors to the network, the network's cut, overhead, and taxes they maybe only see $15K of that a month for all three? That's the functional equivalent of a 90K a year salary per dude, for what is essentially an hour and a half of them bullshitting on skype over the weekend and maybe another hour or two of editing. And that's before any cuts for ad revenue and shutouts.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, that if my brief brush with unemployment for the last month has taught me anything, it's that doing nothing for an extended period of time is boring as gently caress and liable to drive you insane, so how much they actually get paid probably has nothing to do with all the projects they work on. It's poo poo they're good at and it's poo poo they clearly enjoy doing, so even if they pulled a cool Mil per MBMBAM episode, they'd still keep doing what they do because they love it and are good at it.