Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

XMNN posted:

you know he's the president of the united states right

No way?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

Swing voters are mostly myth.

What are you basing that on?

Not saying you're wrong just curious.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Toadvine posted:

This isn't a winning strategy if they don't have someone of their own who can motivate a large chunk of those who stay home on election day for lack of a candidate worth supporting. All the people who voted for Trump are reliably republican and won't be swayed. Swing voters are mostly myth.

I'm not saying their plan will succeed at all. It's not a winning strategy I know, but I'm not confident that the DNC will budge an inch or learn anything from the Hillary debacle.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Ain't nobody got time to organize and campaign for local politics when we have to work to pay for the college loans we used to get the job we needed to buy the computer parts for the video games we play.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
as a young swing voter I'm offended that people itt think I don't exist and won't vote during the midterms.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

yep i know he acts a lot like a crazy homeless person but he's actually the most powerful man on earth lol

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

a bone to pick posted:

as a young swing voter I'm offended that people itt think I don't exist and won't vote during the midterms.

Young Vote Swingers Looking to Caucus in Your Area Tonight

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Moridin920 posted:

What are you basing that on?

Not saying you're wrong just curious.

http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/unpublished/swing_voters.pdf

It's a pdf and I'm phone posting otherwise I'd pull out choice bits. but it makes an interesting case that poll fluctuations are over interpreted to mean changes in voter attitudes (a satisfying narrative) when it more likely indicates a sample selection bias

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

thathonkey posted:

haha the trumpers are uncomfortable with the crazy they tacitly support being thrown in their face

Your perpetual meltdown is epic.

GREAT SATAN posted:

I'm not even a Trump voter I just think the Democratic Party has gone to absolute poo poo.

:same:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

King Vidiot posted:

Young Vote Swingers Looking to Caucus in Your Area Tonight

This used to be such a nice neighborhood. :ohdear:

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Any party that tries to win an election solely on the basis of "well at least we aren't THAT guy" deserves to lose and crumble.

Its okay to pepper it here and there among legitimate reasons as to why i should get off my rear end and vote for you but the entire hillary campaign was reliant on condescending smirks and eye rolls towards the opponent.

Trump won because democrats stayed home. They were given no compelling reason to vote for their candidate.

If they repeat the same strategy the white house is going to be painted gold after midterms.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Toadvine posted:

http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/unpublished/swing_voters.pdf

It's a pdf and I'm phone posting otherwise I'd pull out choice bits. but it makes an interesting case that poll fluctuations are over interpreted to mean changes in voter attitudes (a satisfying narrative) when it more likely indicates a sample selection bias

"swing voters don't exist because we can't find any" is a pretty lol conclusion to make in a study trying to explain this as sample selection bias lmao

also this seems to be talking about polls rather than the elections themselves

i have only read the intro tho

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

SBJ posted:

Trump won because democrats stayed home. They were given no compelling reason to vote for their candidate.

having your registration purged in a national orchestrated campaign to disenfranchise voters is certainly compulsion

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

SBJ posted:

Any party that tries to win an election solely on the basis of "well at least we aren't THAT guy" deserves to lose and crumble.

Its okay to pepper it here and there among legitimate reasons as to why i should get off my rear end and vote for you but the entire hillary campaign was reliant on condescending smirks and eye rolls towards the opponent.

If they repeat the same strategy the white house is going to be painted gold after midterms.

liberals are real bad imho

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
so what i'm trying to say is that that pdf study is very likely to be true for polling (as much as you use fancy math sampling 1000 to represent 300 mil is not going to work out v accurately for a heterogeneous population), but with regards to the real election, swing voters may well exist

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

SBJ posted:

The only people really behind Hillary en masse were rich white ladies

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
donald trump can barely string a coherent sentence together and got caught on tape talking about grabbing pussies and clinton still couldnt beat him

lol

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

is there a good political party?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

XMNN posted:

donald trump can barely string a coherent sentence together and got caught on tape talking about grabbing pussies and clinton still couldnt beat him

lol

https://twitter.com/wokieleaks1/status/834121028737572866

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

XMNN posted:

lol

Also she had: 1 billion dollars from Wall Street and basically the entire media, plus Obama and all of Hollywood

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Also she had: 1 billion dollars from Wall Street and basically the entire media, plus Obama and all of Hollywood

When Obama was elected, she put her quarter on the desk in the Oval Office and said "Yo, I got next". In the country, we respect the rules of the arcade.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Pawn 17 posted:

When Obama was elected, she put her quarter on the desk in the Oval Office and said "Yo, I got next". In the country, we respect the rules of the arcade.

She literally had the world's biggest music stars performing concerts for her and Trump had..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPRfP_TEQ-g

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

She literally had the world's biggest music stars performing concerts for her and Trump had..

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I mean, Touche?

lol

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

that face disenfranchised millions of fence sitters

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not everyone can have as lovable a face as the Donald.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Hillary kept collapsing and having seizures and the news called it a conspiracy lmao

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

rezatahs posted:

that face disenfranchised millions of fence sitters

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

I'm not saying their plan will succeed at all. It's not a winning strategy I know, but I'm not confident that the DNC will budge an inch or learn anything from the Hillary debacle.

The Democratic party as a whole is a dead entity, full stop. The "official" one anyways, it's gangrenous and rotten to the core and can only continue to double down on shrill screaming in order to hemorrhage even more votes

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

T.S. Smelliot posted:

The Democratic party as a whole is a dead entity, full stop. The "official" one anyways, it's gangrenous and rotten to the core and can only continue to double down on shrill screaming in order to hemorrhage even more votes

Yeah just like the Republican party the last time they lost a presidential election.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

T.S. Smelliot posted:

I'm gonna hold off on agreeing with you until after Saturday when they vote for a new chair

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
two party system lol

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

T.S. Smelliot posted:

people were saying this about the GOP for at least the past 4 years pretty much right up until nov 8 2016

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

scrubs season six posted:

Yeah just like the Republican party the last time they lost a presidential election.

lol if you believe it is remotely comparable to the current REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

I'm gonna hold off on agreeing with you until after Saturday when they vote for a new chair

I'm honestly not saying this to be a dick, can you comment after the fact on whether they hosed up just as predictably bad or not?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fog Tripper posted:

lol if you believe it is remotely comparable to the current REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The point is that people (including many Republicans) said the exact same poo poo after they got dunked on by Obama (~30 more EC than Don's YUUUUGE victory) for the second time, after they were 100% convinced they were going to blow him out of the water because he was a "lovely president." There was a whole lot of "we gotta go back to the drawing board" type poo poo.

Repubs went back to the drawing board and found Trump, who was elected by virtue of running against one of the most disliked, most establishment, most baggage laden candidates in history. Did the Dems gently caress up? Obviously. Does one bad presidential candidate mean the party is dead? Get a clue, retards. The lovely R candidate beat the lovely D candidate by the smallest non-W margin of victory in 40 years, and got reamed in the popular vote.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

T.S. Smelliot posted:

I'm honestly not saying this to be a dick, can you comment after the fact on whether they hosed up just as predictably bad or not?

Not sure I understand, you want me to weigh in after the vote to reflect on whether they behaved as stupidly as you and I expect they will? Because if so, absolutely.

The chair vote will determine whether the party is at the very least willing to pay lip service to the left wing of the party (can't be worse than their behavior last year) or stay the course

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
if the dems stay the course i would think trump will be reelected but im not that smart maybe they are smarter than me

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC-W2Mbu0OQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i hope bernies policies are adopted at least a tiny (nanoscopic) bit, i also hope the hardcore marxists and commies get shat on hard

• Locked thread