Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kilonum posted:

I had to look that up and for some reason I started throwing things and screaming "gently caress YOU YOU loving MORON"

Personally I prefer living in a world where the Karlings were just a myth.

Edit: There should be a gameplay option to turn off names with characters not from the latin alphabet.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah, the thorns seem kind of ridiculous. It's not like the Rus are in Cyrillic, and lord knows they don't have anything in Arabic or Devanagri.

Of course, I'm sure there's that one fuckin' guy that's clamoring to have those, in addition to proper hindi names for every province in Ireland.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Farið til fjandans þið menningarlausu útlensku djöflar!!!

There's a reason why there's so much stuff for the Norse ones, though to everyones surprise, it seems to be focused on a certain part of Scandinavia???

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

quote:

The capital duchy of a title, if held by the title holder, will under elective/tanistry law now always follow that title's succession, even if your heir is not playable for you. Counties, baronies, and other duchies will still revert to primogeniture in that case

I don't get this one? First what is a capital duchy? Is that a fixed title or just whatever duchy the capital happens to be in? Then what happens on election? If some other dynasty is elected HRE you could lose your primary duchy title (even if it was always yours?) but not any counties inside it?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kilonum posted:

I had to look that up and for some reason I started throwing things and screaming "gently caress YOU YOU loving MORON"

:same:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Between overthinking it and the new patches, it seems like everything is getting adjusted to my liking. This is sweet.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What sort of silly name is "Þórgoð"?

Why not name your kid something sensible and normal like Ásröður, Dufþakur, Grenjaður, or Lemonjello.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Þórgoð M̨͇͔̟̻̬̟̦̯͌͋̉͌̅̏̈̚a̢̨̢͚͍͎̻̱̥̺͇͒͑͒͒ͭ͑ͅr̸̦̦̰̼̘̻̯̲̆͑͡͝s̈́̿̓͏̺̰̩ȟ̗̼̟̽̽ͮͤ̌̊̂͒ȧ̇̉̓͑̔̓̅҉̺̟̮͇͚̀l̡̼̻͇͓͙̞ͬ̒̔̔̊͂ͅḷ̶̴̣̞̜̹̠̠̼͖̍ͨͥ̅́̚ͅ is my favorite Supreme Court justice.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

FreudianSlippers posted:

What sort of silly name is "Þórgoð"?

Why not name your kid something sensible and normal like Ásröður, Dufþakur, Grenjaður, or Lemonjello.

So, I know there's an option to just use the familiar names for everywhere regardless of culture, but is there a similar setting for names? Something like "I'm a poor American who doesn't know how to pronounce that weird p/d looking thing, let alone the rest of this, just call them sven for the love of god"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's "Þór" as in that dude with the hammer and "goð" as in "goðorð" the basic administrative unit of the Commonwealth of Iceland and also the Æsir.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Eth can stay dead but we really should bring back thorn in English. It made taking notes much faster. Or at least bring back the convention of using Y.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Shbobdb posted:

Eth can stay dead but we really should bring back thorn in English. It made taking notes much faster. Or at least bring back the convention of using Y.

Lifehack: If it's your notes you can use whichever archaic orthography you desire.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaza42 posted:

So, I know there's an option to just use the familiar names for everywhere regardless of culture, but is there a similar setting for names? Something like "I'm a poor American who doesn't know how to pronounce that weird p/d looking thing, let alone the rest of this, just call them sven for the love of god"

No, but if you use custom names it's fun seeing those catch on because depending on culture, there's a decent chance for new kids to be named after a parent or grandparent even if the name isn't one from their culture files.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That's awesome. Would prestige factor in? I want an Empire where everyone is named Fuckface after Emperor Fuckface of clan Fuckface who united Ireland.

That or a lot of Vigos in Carpathia.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

The Cheshire Cat posted:

No, but if you use custom names it's fun seeing those catch on because depending on culture, there's a decent chance for new kids to be named after a parent or grandparent even if the name isn't one from their culture files.

It is fun to do that in a multiplayer game as a way to see if you can spread your custom names to other players dynasties.

Also fun, seduction focus and a ruler designed ruler with a different graphical culture.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Someone tell me if Castillian culture sons of Glitterhoof are named something like "Pedro Glitterhoofez Jimena"

Another thing I've always wondered on the "Could this name become part of the culture" is, does it happen regardless of cultural conversion/custom names? Like, say, Matrilineal marriages. I'll use Spanish again as an example, because I know from experience they'll often name their kids after themselves in this game. Like, does the AI ever eventually have a long line of, say, Feargus Feargusez Jimena?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Fylkir Erik II was seduced by his uncle's wife, he then tried to duel his uncle.

He lost. And the uncle killed him. After 1 year on the throne.

The uncle mysteriously fell off a ledge just after Erik's son turned 16. :ninja:

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

You guys and your moose runes

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

there is no way this could get any weirder

oh

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Is there any reason you'd want to grant a Doge more than a Duchy title? I'm playing a game now where I conquered Brittany as the King of France, and turned Nantes into a Merchant Republic with the Duchy of Brittany. I could form the Kingdom of Brittany and give that title to the Doge as well if I really wanted, but I'm note sure if it'd do anything or matter.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cow Bell posted:

Is there any reason you'd want to grant a Doge more than a Duchy title? I'm playing a game now where I conquered Brittany as the King of France, and turned Nantes into a Merchant Republic with the Duchy of Brittany. I could form the Kingdom of Brittany and give that title to the Doge as well if I really wanted, but I'm note sure if it'd do anything or matter.

Well the good news is you can't do that anyway. Even as an emperor you can't grant kingdom level titles to republics or theocracies (although they can form them independently if they meet the requirements). To be honest I'm not totally sure why.

To answer your specific question; you might want to give them a kingdom if you're trying to consolidate your vassals so you only have kings under you, since if you form the kingdom that the merchant republic is in and give it away, you'll either have to make them a vassal of that king, losing the direct income from them, or you'll have to take the opinion penalty from that king for holding on to one of his de jure vassals. If you could just make the Doge king instead, you wouldn't have to worry about either of those issues. For a one-duchy kingdom like Brittany though, it wouldn't make any difference.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Cow Bell posted:

Give him a second ducal title and let him form the kingdom himself. If he wants to be a king, make him pay for it himself.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So, the 'Found Merchant Republic' decision actually has a requirement of 'Is Male'. It didn't used to, the last time I played.

Because I am both scared and lazy; what could/would break if I removed that requirement?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Merchant republics don't really work with women. It would really funk up inheritance at very least.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
First post in this thread, I'm more of an EU4 player most of the time. However, a friend of mine recently got ck2 and I'm looking to do a mp game to serve as sort of her safety net to explain things as they come up and keep her from getting too overwhelmed. Unfortunately, I'm kind of sick of the area around Ireland after the last time I helped a friend get his footing, so I'm wondering if there's anywhere else that people consider even remotely as newbie-friendly as the Ireland start?

Ireland's relative safety, the ability to conquer at your own pace, and the slow increase in realm size and complexity just seem so perfect for teaching people who know nothing about the game how to play. I can't think of any other part of the map that comes close.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xinder posted:

Ireland's relative safety, the ability to conquer at your own pace, and the slow increase in realm size and complexity just seem so perfect for teaching people who know nothing about the game how to play. I can't think of any other part of the map that comes close.

Central or northern France in 1066 is a good way to learn how to play as a vassal, which is very different from being a small-time conqueror.

You're almost completely insulated from any serious military threats so you can pretty much just chill, arrange good marriages, and go on crusades.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Croatia in 1066 was my starting point though that was before it was part of the Byzantine empire dejure so maybe if you start in a little later when Byzantium is weaker.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Xinder posted:

If you have Rajas and Horselords (for the Silk Road cash), the Mlechchas in northeast India are pretty safe.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Cow Bell posted:

I'm still super new but there seems to be some revenue benefits for Republics and Theocracies. I made hella bank when I took over France with a king level Bishop. Haven't gone that high on Republics but I imagine it would be, if anything, more lucrative. It's also great for destabilization. The wrong regime penalty meant a lot of civil wars, which helped clear out a lot of dead weight from France.

Edit: Google determined Theocracy best, Republic second best for mad cash. Though I'm always suspicious of that since wiki editors clearly practice hypergamey where they'd rather find the best way to win as opposed to the best way to actually play. Like, "provided you vassalized the pope and yada yada".

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 22, 2017

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri1TOhK6syw

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Hail Satan!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I decided to try and drag the vikings through into WW2 because I'm an idiot and hate spare time, I had one really abortive start where I ran out of money about five years in but then I worked out that the one of the council missions gives you free raid people who just have to sit in a province and bring you a comfy 3-10 gold monthly income and, if you're not busy, you can load up on proper warriors and sack monasteries for like 20-50 gold for a month's work :stare:

I almost don't want to reform paganism, at this rate.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
You can still raid if you are reformed Norse.

Tribal soldiers will go away but you'll soon have enough Holdings that they won't matter.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Raiding is good for a lot of money. Load up on dudes and go sack places like Venice at opportune moments. Come back with like 500-600 gold for 3-4 months work.

Also reform and then turn into a merchant republic and you can still raid but also you'll have stupid amounts of income because you'll be the only merchant republic in the North Sea area.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Zero One posted:

You can still raid if you are reformed Norse.

Tribal soldiers will go away but you'll soon have enough Holdings that they won't matter.

I thought you couldn't raise levies for no reason after you reform?

Moridin920 posted:

Raiding is good for a lot of money. Load up on dudes and go sack places like Venice at opportune moments. Come back with like 500-600 gold for 3-4 months work.

Also reform and then turn into a merchant republic and you can still raid but also you'll have stupid amounts of income because you'll be the only merchant republic in the North Sea area.

You... You can do that? :stare:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

spectralent posted:

You... You can do that? :stare:
Why not? Viking merchant republic is the easiest merchant republic because that raiding cash really helps balance the books while you go through that awkward phase of republican politics where you are paying too many male salaries while trying to dismantle the other houses.

You can raise levies whenever you want, you're the boss after all. Anyway you will need to less because feudal or especially republic gives you some hefty retinue bonuses so you can have a stack of thousands of loyal retainers, raiding every day, forever.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You can raise levies whenever you want, and turn them into raiders whenever they're in friendly territory. The only stipulation is you can't declare war if you have raised levies. Special and event troops don't count, so you can declare wars with event troops active.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

The rule you're thinking of is that you can't raise your vassal levies without an opinion penalty anymore after you reform. When you raise your vassal levies after you're reformed, you'll get that -1 opinion penalty a month or whatever with whichever vassal you've raised. But there is an exception. If you're actively raiding with those guys then the opinion penalty acts as though you don't have them raised at all. This applies to vassal boats too. This loving rules because vassal levies and galleys cost 0 upkeep, meaning any raiding you do with them is 100% profit. Once you get really big, it becomes trivially easy to put together raiding parties of like 10,000+ men (good men, not stacks of lovely light infantry like when you're tribal) and boats to accommodate all of them. Then you can burn down entire countries for massive amounts of cash. You can return home with over 2k gold if you make a few stops. When you're a republic, you also get a huge retinue and a shitload more boats, and it gets silly very fast. Germanic religion, steppe culture, and Republican government is the most OP combo in the vanilla game by miles, and it's a ton of fun because everything complements each other so well.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Well, uh, this is one hell of a revelation. My only concern (given I'm intending to carry them into EUIV and beyond) is being a republic in EU, but I guess if I have a massive, rich empire full of good holdings I won't really care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

zedprime posted:

You can raise levies whenever you want, you're the boss after all. Anyway you will need to less because feudal or especially republic gives you some hefty retinue bonuses so you can have a stack of thousands of loyal retainers, raiding every day, forever.

I mean, if your raiders just happen to knock down the doors of the Emperor of the HRE's castle and drag his daughters away into the night, it's really his fault for not defending them better.

• Locked thread