Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Metal Pink Babble posted:

I've spended my grass, so where's my grass, you're walking fast...you're fading.

I've waiting so wrong for the next exciting instarment of Miura-sempai's three-part flashback, shining right on things happened and that giddy feel psilocybin gives me. Casca will be good as new and with a surfers' tan by the end of summer. Ojichan told me.

Hold on, I have to put my grasses on. It's okay, nothing will be wong.

Oh wait that was the opening song.

For someone who didn't watch a single episode of the new anime, is it even at all worth it to pick up the dvds and laugh at how lovely it is? Like a so bad it's good type of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's Berserk for better or worse. Mainly animation worse.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The movie animation was generally a mess as well, but seemed worth it for the large battles. Alas not the hundred man. They did manage to capture a few key scenes well, however, and delivered a slightly different flavor in a few places that truly illuminated some of the characters.

So then, is there any similar benefit to last year's anime, or is "based on Berserk" the only thing it has going?

vvvv Oh Gawdhand, maybe I'll just read the last arc again before the next chapter is released.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 22, 2017

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
I thought the movie trilogy, with the exception of the CGI in the first one, was pretty good. The 2016 anime is significantly worse visually (and aurally too, actually) than that low point in the movies, if you ask me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The better option at this point is to just reread some chapters and then use the power of imagination to visualize what an actually good non-Golden Age Berserk anime would look like.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Don't buy the DVD of Berserk 2016 because Crunchyroll legally lets you watch it on 480p without an account and if it's a DVD, it's probably 480p too so it's a wash but one is free.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Alas not the hundred man.

Speaking about that scene, I just finished that in the musou game and jesus how badly can you gently caress that up? I had killed 1,000 people before even getting to the area where the 100 man fight takes place. I dont think my health dropped below 85 percent on hard difficulty. Game is rear end.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

Speaking about that scene, I just finished that in the musou game and jesus how badly can you gently caress that up? I had killed 1,000 people before even getting to the area where the 100 man fight takes place. I dont think my health dropped below 85 percent on hard difficulty. Game is rear end.

Thats a normal musou game.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

mabels big day posted:

Thats a normal musou game.

Pretty much. This your first time playing one?

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
yeah i've avoided them like the plague (being a sega fan during the 32 and 128 bit era made that pretty easy) but i figured maybe the subject matter would help me swallow the genre but no.... 90 percent of enemies don't even make an attempt to attack you, its not interesting from a gameplay stand point at all.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
This topic came up when the game was announced. And I think it was nearly verbatim:
A) OMG MOBS!!!!!!!!
A) They just stand there in the trailers. And wait to die?
B) That's all musou.
A) Oh.
C-Z)Yup.

That said, I also haven't ever played a musou thanks to backlog shame and online games. Probably when it's $10-$15 around the end of the year I'll snag it though.

So new hiatus. Any date, or shall I just assume June-July to mitigate my letdown?

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

I'd be very surprised if the manga didn't return around the start of the new anime in April.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Honestly, why did I think the next chapter was coming out January 24? :eng99:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
For the most part the Musou game is kind of nice when all's said and done. The mobs will kick your rear end on Berserk Difficulty or higher, but they're really supposed to be garbage you butcher to build up fury to fight the mildly interesting lieutenants or your occasional apostle with bullshit juggle moves. Sometimes the animated cut scenes they have only give a cliff notes of beats on the story that can be lighter than even that description, sometimes its a hilariously bad comedy in watching some wooden sprite flips around without walking. Other times the animation is decent, but the real effort was put into the combat and important story bits because, well, its a musou. The further you go, the further poo poo you get to play with, which you can either retake into Story Missions you already beat, Free Mode or I guess you could call it a challenge mode Endless Eclipse. EE is the really cool one as getting farther in that and doing all the particular quests with all the characters unlocks things like say being permanent beast mode Berserk Armor Guts. It can be a fun way to grind for money and trinkets to mash together into stronger trinkets to boost stats because, hoo-boy, does this game sort of expect you to work for it and grind.

Is it worth $60? Probably not. Oh, and if you're one of those people that complain about CENSORSHIPS when it comes to removing Japanese content on the skeevy side, then yes, they took away your precious wet t-shirt Caska DLC and replaced her with a nearly nude Caska in Guts' bloody tank top DLC character outfit. The humanity of it all. But they did also let you buy the cute as poo poo Snow Outfit.

But for me, personally, the real kicker is that because this is likely going to be extremely niche, there's almost no help to figure out how to unlock some of the really obscure or hard to understand Behelits. Where the gently caress is that Falling Rock Trap in the Devil Dogs?!

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 24, 2017

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jimmybob posted:

Hold on, I have to put my grasses on. It's okay, nothing will be wong.

Oh wait that was the opening song.

For someone who didn't watch a single episode of the new anime, is it even at all worth it to pick up the dvds and laugh at how lovely it is? Like a so bad it's good type of thing.

Has it really been fifteen years since i actually bought a whole anime series?

You're better off just rereading the manga and visualizing the cool action than watching some secondhand rehash.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Crabtree posted:

For the most part the Musou game is kind of nice when all's said and done. The mobs will kick your rear end on Berserk Difficulty or higher, but they're really supposed to be garbage you butcher to build up fury to fight the mildly interesting lieutenants or your occasional apostle with bullshit juggle moves. Sometimes the animated cut scenes they have only give a cliff notes of beats on the story that can be lighter than even that description, sometimes its a hilariously bad comedy in watching some wooden sprite flips around without walking. Other times the animation is decent, but the real effort was put into the combat and important story bits because, well, its a musou. The further you go, the further poo poo you get to play with, which you can either retake into Story Missions you already beat, Free Mode or I guess you could call it a challenge mode Endless Eclipse. EE is the really cool one as getting farther in that and doing all the particular quests with all the characters unlocks things like say being permanent beast mode Berserk Armor Guts. It can be a fun way to grind for money and trinkets to mash together into stronger trinkets to boost stats because, hoo-boy, does this game sort of expect you to work for it and grind.

Is it worth $60? Probably not. Oh, and if you're one of those people that complain about CENSORSHIPS when it comes to removing Japanese content on the skeevy side, then yes, they took away your precious wet t-shirt Caska DLC and replaced her with a nearly nude Caska in Guts' bloody tank top DLC character outfit. The humanity of it all. But they did also let you buy the cute as poo poo Snow Outfit.

But for me, personally, the real kicker is that because this is likely going to be extremely niche, there's almost no help to figure out how to unlock some of the really obscure or hard to understand Behelits. Where the gently caress is that Falling Rock Trap in the Devil Dogs?!

This sounds about like I expected and I'm tempted to go for it since I unironically enjoy Musou games. Important question, though.

Is skull knight playable?

E:VVV :(

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 24, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope
Save your money

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

This sounds about like I expected and I'm tempted to go for it since I unironically enjoy Musou games. Important question, though.

No.

But you can play as him on a cracked PS3 with a mod for the JP version and he has a full moveset so god knows why you can't.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The gently caress, Koei?

Post-order cancelled.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Koei tends be conservative with its first game in a new IP series but it's the first time since Ken's Rage they've done such a limited roster. And even that had one more.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Oh wow. they actually made movesets and the like for skull knight. I guess if there's a Berserk Warriors 2. Skull Knight will be their promoted character?
I did wonder why "skeleton knight"joined me during the endless eclipse stage.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been jones'in for another Musou game, but honestly I'd rather they revisit Gundam again or give me Dynasty Warriors...uh...*checks*...9?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

9 is in the works and possibly going to be radically different from current Musou games. They seem to have given up on Gundam after Reborn but Gundam Breaker 3 is a decent replacement, you'll have import from Asia if you want it in English though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3M_A1s3noY

A long rear end video of a modded Berserk Musou on PS3 here. Skully and Grunbeld are in it according to its description.

I'd forgotten this is a PC game too so I guess it may be possible on that version too.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
And they aren't being released as DLC?
Weird that they have been cut.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I suppose they may be missing some animations or missing some things from their skillset but it's just weird and they really ought to be in there. If you can be Wyald, there's no excuse to exclude Skull Knight. Grunbeld not making the cut as playable from day 1 is understandable, I suppose. Weird game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Psycho Landlord posted:

E:VVV :(

Unfortunately it's just Zodd, Guts, Little Witch Girl, Caska, Serpico, Griffith, Judeo and Wylde. They already have him modeled and with moves that you can fight against or with, but not as a playable character. For all the people that bitch about it costing $60 without an English or whatever dub, none really bring up the real tragedy of the game. Maybe he'll come in DLC or a sequel, if that even happens, but they really dropped the ball. The only silver lining is that they have a lot of variations of these characters so if you feel like punishing yourself, you can take early Merc Guts on one of the later levels to fight Ganishka, but its not Skull Knight, dammit.

That said, I'm really impressed they took the time to change the main menu to follow where you are in story mode. Every story beat has its own little campfire setting where Guts' hanging out either alone or with whoever.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I thought I would be a little disappointed that I wouldn't be able to play this game because it's advertising was so gross and I didn't want to support that, but I guess I was worried for nothing. :v:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It has a surprising amount of effort for what it has - but its absolutely too little for a very good Musou, which is just embarrassing. I mean, its way above Berserk 2016, but that bar's so low its somewhere between the Earth's Mantle and Outer Core. You could fart out Hai Yo and it'd be better than that nonsense.

As for hopes in further Fantasia happenings, I really want Elf Dimension Style to be an actual fighting style that could improve anyone's moves but Puck is too much of a scatterbrain to get it right.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If there was going to be more DLC for Berserk Muso, I'd have expected it a while back. A Berserk Muso 2 might be a good overall package, but I heard that this one covers the Golden Age in depth and are they going to make a game that glosses over the GA but goes indepth on the other two? Seems unlikely. They could copy the GA stuff from the first one I guess but that also seems unlikely.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Well it doesn't go as in-depth as it could with any of the arcs as it tries its damnedest to stick to the beats of the new movies. But there are many ways it can elaborate into the areas it doesn't touch (why the gently caress is there no Lost Children Arc? For fucks' sake, you actually used Wydle). But that's this game's general falling. There are three things you need for a great Musou: A lot of enemy variety (including charm from said enemies), a lot of levels to conquer and a shitton of people to play as; band of the hawk almost has this. Bazuso is in this game and when you fight with him in free mode or endless eclipse, when you reach even 1000 killed enemies he says "I guess my thirty manslayer title ain't jack poo poo now, huh?". There's actual light-hearted humor and care in what's going on in this game - but for whatever reason it just didn't go as far as it should have. There's a shitton of characters that you could pull from any arc and they'd be okay to play as. Locus, Azan (they don't have him in the game at the gently caress all when the Holy Iron Chain Knights capture Guts), Boscon, Grunbeld, Adon and Sampson, Rakshas, Silat(who thankfully you do fight and has movesets as well), Irvine. There are tons of major and minor characters you can use and they just roll with 8!

Its a 3/5 game and for what its worth, and that's alright because Musous are always guilty pleasures and they shouldn't feel ashamed for being what they are. What is terrible is that, for some goddamn reason, when Dark Souls is a force of nature in gaming that people cannot think but in terms of what is the dark souls of x; somehow From Soft - as far as I know - has yet to just flash some cash to Miura and ask if they could do an honest to god Berserk game in their style. It just boggles the mind how the simplest path to some potentially great poo poo hasn't been taken and I just don't understand why. Tell Me Why they haven't done that yet and I'll accept another loving season of this stupid anime or another Berserk Musou that people can take or leave!

Also, with how much I've talked about this game I feel like I should just loving LP Berserk and the Band of the Hawk so people can watch it and never have to play it. :v:

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 24, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

To be honest with all these mentions of characters being there and having full movesets but not playable, you've helped me along a good bit in thinking "I'll get it, but a little later and a little cheaper" because if you can play those guys on a hacked PS3, there's no way people aren't gonna bust the game wide open on a PC version and make them playable there too.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Yardbomb posted:

To be honest with all these mentions of characters being there and having full movesets but not playable, you've helped me along a good bit in thinking "I'll get it, but a little later and a little cheaper" because if you can play those guys on a hacked PS3, there's no way people aren't gonna bust the game wide open on a PC version and make them playable there too.

I find this post puzzling. People pay retail?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Andrigaar posted:

Do what, I was saying I'll wait and probably get it when steam undoubtedly has it in one big sale or another, also with the upside that people are undoubtedly gonna open that stuff up on the PC version too.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

As much as I wish i had blew 50 bucks on something else (like Last Guardian, Nioh, Gravity Rush 2, 3 VR games, Yakuza 0, x-com 2 to name a few) after how much I played the Dreamcast game and then seeing how much better the ps2 game looked and the frustration over it never getting released in the west I told myself any future Berz game I would get the day it released. And Honestly I liked the HnK game they made, the soundtrack is still in my active play list it was that good.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Yardbomb posted:

Do what, I was saying I'll wait and probably get it when steam undoubtedly has it in one big sale or another, also with the upside that people are undoubtedly gonna open that stuff up on the PC version too.

The guy who uploaded the video said in the comments that he's working on the PC version

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

As much as I wish i had blew 50 bucks on something else (like Last Guardian, Nioh, Gravity Rush 2, 3 VR games, Yakuza 0, x-com 2 to name a few) after how much I played the Dreamcast game and then seeing how much better the ps2 game looked and the frustration over it never getting released in the west I told myself any future Berz game I would get the day it released.

I still need to find a decent LP for that game. All the ones I have seen are old and have lovely bitrates so everything looks like gray mashed potatoes. Somebody needs to LP the game on an emulator so it can actually look halfway decent.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The only thing keeping me from paying full price for this (I'm used to the average jankiness you find in a mosou game) is the lack of couch co-op. There's too much good poo poo coming out in the first quarter of the year.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah this is not a full-price purchase. Even taking into account it's musou (which lowers your expectations which is a hosed up thing to do when you have finite time on Earth) it's a boring, lazy musou.

Not knocking anyone enjoying themselves but I think anyone would have a hard time defending this game as decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Crabtree posted:

Its a 3/5 game and for what its worth, and that's alright because Musous are always guilty pleasures and they shouldn't feel ashamed for being what they are. What is terrible is that, for some goddamn reason, when Dark Souls is a force of nature in gaming that people cannot think but in terms of what is the dark souls of x; somehow From Soft - as far as I know - has yet to just flash some cash to Miura and ask if they could do an honest to god Berserk game in their style. It just boggles the mind how the simplest path to some potentially great poo poo hasn't been taken and I just don't understand why. Tell Me Why they haven't done that yet and I'll accept another loving season of this stupid anime or another Berserk Musou that people can take or leave!

That or Capcom making one in the style of Dragon's Dogma.