Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

When I adopted my idiot, she carried the nickname of my friend's ex who I hated, so that got changed pretty quick. Mandy to Milly. At the shelter I kept calling her Milly anyways on accident for some reason so that stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the hound dog was named mader. No.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cats tend to ignore names we give them anyway.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Kwyndig posted:

special agent D.O.G. confirms your assessment.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Mine all know two or three names for themselves that weren't the ones they came with. Not sure they ever knew the originals anyway.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

MisterBibs posted:

I'm too allergic to ever have a cat or dog, but I can't fathom renaming a pet if it already has one, especially if it responds to it.

If you pick something that sounds similar they honestly never even know the difference.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Boogalo posted:

When I adopted my idiot, she carried the nickname of my friend's ex who I hated, so that got changed pretty quick. Mandy to Milly. At the shelter I kept calling her Milly anyways on accident for some reason so that stuck.

It's also my nickname. WHICH I HATE SO loving MUCH. So I was so happy to hear she was a Milly. I think Milly is perfect for a tortie with tortitude.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

My cat came to me named Tinkerboo. You bet I changed that sucker.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

We've adopted three shelter cats now, and two of them (Luke and Meyer) have kept their names. The other one came to us as "Liz," which was the name of several human acquaintances and my boyfriend's ex, so she became Rosemary in pretty short order.

A friend of ours adopted a "Simba," which also didn't last long, and her brother adopted a "Luna" who turned out to be a boy, so... name changes all around.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Hey all, sorry for slacking with the pictures/videos. Have some!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB1L0YVCVaI

Butter Blanket:

The oft-requested, seldom still, Mama Cat (Lilly)

Couple of Teddy:

And Grizzly, swearing "it wasn't me":

Butterscotch Jr. though, for reals.

We're on vacation for the weekend and I have somehow managed to tell myself that leaving my laptop behind will be a good thing, so no updates for a bit. Katdick's mom will be tending to all of our little ones while we're out.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want Teddy so bad, I would literally pay a plane ticket to have someone bring it to me if I could afford it

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
She's a real pretty kitty. Not as sociable as some but her independence makes her a good fit for a lot of folks. You don't happen to live anywhere near MD do you?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chili posted:

She's a real pretty kitty. Not as sociable as some but her independence makes her a good fit for a lot of folks. You don't happen to live anywhere near MD do you?

I live on an island quite far from MD.

She's identical to my old girl Plushy, same colors, same face, just a gorgeous girl.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

http://www.uship.com/cat-shipping/

just saying

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Chili posted:

Don't tempt my wife and I. We have two cats - one older and one younger - and our younger one clearly wants a friend who's OK with roughhousing. I am near MD - specifically, DC.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

LuiCypher posted:

Don't tempt my wife and I. We have two cats - one older and one younger - and our younger one clearly wants a friend who's OK with roughhousing. I am near MD - specifically, DC.

doooo iiiiiiiit

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

LuiCypher posted:

You did watch the video and see just how up for rough housing she is, right?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Chili posted:

You did watch the video and see just how up for rough housing she is, right?

Also, we'll bake you cookies.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Chili posted:

Hey all, sorry for slacking with the pictures/videos. Have some!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB1L0YVCVaI

Butter Blanket:

Charlie is literally doing the exact same thing right now. :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I really like Momcat :kimchi:

shroomich
Apr 2, 2014

i saw this post on my twitter feed and felt like it would be good to put it in here, it seems relevant to this thread:

https://twitter.com/PokeKellz/status/833159654347649024

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQvjokfAsGd/?taken-by=midnightvoyager

Joy vs a receipt, her favorite toy ever.

A+ cat, would adopt from shelter again.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I'll talk to my wife and see if we're ready to commit to a third catte. I'll let you know ASAP, but I do have a question - if we do decide to come on around, would it be OK for her to meet her potential playmate to see how (if) they get along?

Context: This past summer, my wife and I adopted a 2-year old one-eyed dilute tortie who was surrendered with four other cats (one technically a kitten) that we renamed BB. She came to the Humane Society in a deplorable condition - she had a raging URI that also came with full-blown conjunctivitis (which is what eventually caused the loss of her eye). In addition, she weighed 5 pounds and was pregnant with five kittens at her time of intake.

She is a trooper though, and toughed it out in quarantine for six months until she was finally ready for adoption (which took another two months until we snagged her). She has been living with us and her 'big sister', our 11-year old catte Cocoa.

Cocoa doesn't really want to have anything to do with BB though, probably on account of their differing priorities thanks to their age (Cocoa much rather prefers to nap on us, ideally when we have blankets over us - BB does what BB does, up to and including bothering Cocoa and taking shoulder rides on us).

On my PS4, I rather proudly have a kitten theme as my background. In addition, sometimes I play Catlateral Damage. Whenever I leave my PS4 on the main screen or play Catlateral Damage though, BB wants to play with the cats on screen, which makes us feel 1) bad because they're not real cats 2) sad because we think she wants a cat buddy who will play with her (as Cocoa does not, which is where the interest in Teddy comes in).

I think we're resigned to Cocoa not getting along with any new catte we get and will be pleased with grudging tolerance (which is what Cocoa gives BB right now), but I think our major areas of concern are the following:

1) Are we ready for a three-catte-house?
2) Will BB and Teddy get along?
3) Are we ready for a kitten?

We're hopeful on #2, but it's likely that even with the introduction of a new catte into her 'space' BB will still be very weird about it. Luckily, we have a house and many doors that we can use to easily separate the cats if it comes to that!

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 20, 2017

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Renaming seems to really depend on circumstance- we didn't rename our cats, but they were adopted (inherited?) from a family member who passed away, so it would've been kinda.. disrespectful? I dunno. The pets themselves don't mind anyway, it's all about the tone, so do whatever suits you.

Ps. everyone in this thread is great, thank you for being kind in an often cruel world.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

LuiCypher posted:

I'll talk to my wife and see if we're ready to commit to a third catte. I'll let you know ASAP, but I do have a question - if we do decide to come on around, would it be OK for her to meet her potential playmate to see how (if) they get along?

Context: This past summer, my wife and I adopted a 2-year old one-eyed dilute tortie who was surrendered with four other cats (one technically a kitten) that we renamed BB. She came to the Humane Society in a deplorable condition - she had a raging URI that also came with full-blown conjunctivitis (which is what eventually caused the loss of her eye). In addition, she weighed 5 pounds and was pregnant with five kittens at her time of intake.

She is a trooper though, and toughed it out in quarantine for six months until she was finally ready for adoption (which took another two months until we snagged her). She has been living with us and her 'big sister', our 11-year old catte Cocoa.

Cocoa doesn't really want to have anything to do with BB though, probably on account of their differing priorities thanks to their age (Cocoa much rather prefers to nap on us, ideally when we have blankets over us - BB does what BB does, up to and including bothering Cocoa and taking shoulder rides on us).

On my PS4, I rather proudly have a kitten theme as my background. In addition, sometimes I play Catlateral Damage. Whenever I leave my PS4 on the main screen or play Catlateral Damage though, BB wants to play with the cats on screen, which makes us feel 1) bad because they're not real cats 2) sad because we think she wants a cat buddy who will play with her (as Cocoa does not, which is where the interest in Teddy comes in).

I think we're resigned to Cocoa not getting along with any new catte we get and will be pleased with grudging tolerance (which is what Cocoa gives BB right now), but I think our major areas of concern are the following:

1) Are we ready for a three-catte-house?
2) Will BB and Teddy get along?
3) Are we ready for a kitten?

We're hopeful on #2, but it's likely that even with the introduction of a new catte into her 'space' BB will still be very weird about it. Luckily, we have a house and many doors that we can use to easily separate the cats if it comes to that!

you are never ready for a wacky kitten, but you should get it anyways because cats are soft and make you happy.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kojiro posted:

Renaming seems to really depend on circumstance- we didn't rename our cats, but they were adopted (inherited?) from a family member who passed away, so it would've been kinda.. disrespectful? I dunno. The pets themselves don't mind anyway, it's all about the tone, so do whatever suits you.

Ps. everyone in this thread is great, thank you for being kind in an often cruel world.

We got Cocoa when she was 7, and we couldn't rename her because she already responded to Cocoa. BB was easy - the Humane Society named her Bluejay on intake. We thought that was dumb and she didn't respond to it anyway.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
We've renamed all our cats from the SPCA, even though 2 of them had decent names they weren't the names I wanted. So Charlotte and Templeton became Freya and Odin. Pudge was just an awful, awful name though, so she became Persephone. Now that she's grown she doesn't have an ounce of pudge on her anyway. They were all kittens when we adopted them so it's not like they were attached to the names.

I'm looking forward to the end of the semester when I can foster again. I've made a pact with my oldest daughter that if she attends the training with me, we can try fostering bottle babies over the summer when she's out of school. She's already been doing about 75% of the work when we foster anyway, since their bedroom is our official foster room. Plus I'm looking at it as a good "caring for babies sucks, don't get pregnant" teaching opportunity for my teenager, hah.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I'll have to decline regarding my interest in Teddy. My wife and I took stock of our situation and, given the timing, we feel that we can't support a third kitty at this time :( March and April are very busy travel months for us, and we don't feel comfortable leaving a kitten among cats without being able to spend the proper time acclimating them. We're sure that she'll go to a very loving home in the area!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
My two rescues were Elliott and Zach. You bet your rear end we re-named them. Normal people names for cats is just weird to me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My rescued idiot got renamed from 'Bob' to Talbot as in 'Talbot Mundy' the great adventure writer of the 20s and 30s

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Mine was named "Sir Gallant". He was a handsome lovebug, that's probably why.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I kept Joy's name because it fit so well, and it's what she brought me. :3:

(Also The Joy is what The Boss was before she was the Boss and that's pretty cool)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My roof adoptee was named Luna, so Luna she stayed cause I couldn't think of anything better, I'm pretty horrible with names overall considering I've had Tifa, Tifo and Kitty among the cats I've had.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Mine was Maggie, which just wasn't suitable. She became Poyo, or boopcat. She answers to any slight sound or eye contact anyway.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's a rare cat who doesn't think one or the other of us is named Food or Hungry, based on experience.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Bittersweet news: All the kitties have moved on to their next step. We still have Mama, we'll keep her for a week or so until she's dried up and ready to move on as well.

Good news: Butterscotch found some drugs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL75vueIIsw

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chili posted:

Bittersweet news: All the kitties have moved on to their next step. We still have Mama, we'll keep her for a week or so until she's dried up and ready to move on as well.

Good news: Butterscotch found some drugs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL75vueIIsw

:catdrugs:

yay

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Chili posted:

He is impressively lazy. :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://i.imgur.com/hBxuP0k.gifv

owning_a_fat_cat.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.