Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I was a mulatto knight, open to all comers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Just got my first DDoS at the end of the match when we were about to go to the victory screen, in an elimination where I was just there to get my daily orders. With that, coupled with getting non-stop disconnects all loving day from matches, I think I might have to shelf this game for a while.

Leave it to Ubisoft to make a game poo poo despite having good gameplay.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Getting the same poo poo on the X Box One servers, and i'm tired of playing and gaining absolutely nothing because the match shits itself in the middle of it.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ok I did up the frame data thing for fastest attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm5L19vZiEg

1) Peacekeeper is big winner, fastest lights/light chain, fastest move in the game with zone attack.
2) I put a little reference in there to convert to millisecond reaction needed to block, but reminder it doesn't exist in a vacuum as your setup/monitor/tv all can introduce lag, and all games have inherent 1-4 frame delay lag due to engine stuff.

Its nerdy poo poo and tryhard knowledge so if you don't care for it don't click it and let it contaminate you!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
So can you not parry berserker infinity chains or am I doing something wrong?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Or you can do light attack for a guaranteed bit of damage. Your choice.

I'm still trying to figure out when to use the Startup Superior Block on Warlord Lights and when just to go ham with a straight parry. I desperately wish we had Trainable bots. This game's practice mode sucks.

You use it when you are being baited with feints. You strike fast enough that they can't parry it.

If they actually threw a light, you won and do damage. If they threw a heavy you are faster and interrupt them. If they feinted their guard is down for a second and they take damage.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

So is there any word on them actually planning to do anything about the connection issues? This game looks cool but I don't want to spend 60 bucks on something that's crippled by its use of 10-years-outdated networking schemes. I remember when Overwatch launched people bitched about dumb and cheapass networking decisions like having the servers run at 20 ticks/second but Blizzard actually acknowledged and fixed most of what people were complaining about. That'd be nice here, but Ubisoft is never one to inspire confidence.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Shear Modulus posted:

So is there any word on them actually planning to do anything about the connection issues? This game looks cool but I don't want to spend 60 bucks on something that's crippled by its use of 10-years-outdated networking schemes. I remember when Overwatch launched people bitched about dumb and cheapass networking decisions like having the servers run at 20 ticks/second but Blizzard actually acknowledged and fixed most of what people were complaining about. That'd be nice here, but Ubisoft is never one to inspire confidence.

I guess the real thing to that is, what connection issues. Host drops it finds a new host, that's it. Game plays flawlessly online.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Evil Canadian posted:

I guess the real thing to that is, what connection issues. Host drops it finds a new host, that's it. Game plays flawlessly online.

Uhh... no? Anything that isn't 1v1 mode tends to crash with ridiculous frequency.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

TrU3Ta1ent is pretty good to watch. I gave up on the rest of the bigger streamers. Anyone else TrU3-ish to watch?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

panda clue posted:

Uhh... no? Anything that isn't 1v1 mode tends to crash with ridiculous frequency.

Uhh... no? I can't say for the pc version because I got ps4 but lol at it crashing at any point, never had it occur to me in either beta or launch.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm assuming the mentioned connection issues are on the PC? PS4 has been 100% flawless for me. I haven't even experienced lag in any capacity.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Evil Canadian posted:

Uhh... no? I can't say for the pc version because I got ps4 but lol at it crashing at any point, never had it occur to me in either beta or launch.

Oh, since you don't crash crashes don't occur? Huh, I guess we should tell that to all those people claiming to be experiencing issues; I guess they're lying.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

panda clue posted:

Oh, since you don't crash crashes don't occur? Huh, I guess we should tell that to all those people experiencing issues; I guess they're lying.

Well more to the point I haven't heard of anyone else having issues on ps4 either unless you yourself are now saying it crashes on ps4.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I was indeed referring to the PC version.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
PC and X Box are getting constant game crashes

panda clue
May 23, 2014
This article sums up the current problems with the game quite nicely: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...3A+Steam+RSS%29

RPS Article posted:

The menage-a-trois of murder and mayhem that is For Honor does a lot of things very well. You can be down to your last sliver of health, limping across a bridge like a deflated balloon and you still might manage to grab a giant knight in panic and throw him off the ledge. Victory has never felt so dirty.

But its matchmaking is a toxic dumpster fire and its user menus are a bubonic plague of mistakes and dumbfounding decisions. How in the name of the Pope did so much trash get through testing?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

When you say "crashes", do you mean erroring out into the menu, or disconnection problems? I get those occasionally on PC too, but only occasionally. It's fine the majority of the time. The worst thing I've seen that happens with any frequency is people quitting at the start of a dominion or elimination match because they don't like being opposite some people with high ranks/gear stats and the resulting mass quit sometimes causes the game to get stuck permanently at the "trying to reconfigure the connection" thing that happens when someone leaves during a match.

In my experience PC is mostly fine. It could do with some better matchmaking though regarding skill level.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Gunder posted:

When you say "crashes", do you mean erroring out into the menu, or disconnection problems?

Erroring into a menu, disconnecting, hard locking, sitting at an eternal load screen, and everything you might think of in between. The article I linked even jokes that you could make a bingo card for all the different issues you might encounter when trying to join any given match.

And then you finally get into a match and it's Skirmish, the host leaves (which usually causes the game to poo poo itself), or you get DDoS'd. I've been a pretty staunch defender of this game because the combat is so drat good, but this cornucopia of issues that I have to fight with every time I turn on the game is really starting to wear on me.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 22, 2017

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

What part of the networking is your favorite? I like the seamless replacement of bots with players.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 22, 2017

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Everyone is quick to give "Good Fight!" when they win but if they lose it's silence other than maybe 15% of players. If they keep losing it's a message about not playing the right way. Is this honor I ask?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Only victory is honoraburu

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
:lol: I don't know where you're connecting from to have a "flawless" online experience but it is definitely not PS4 US West

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Everyone is quick to give "Good Fight!" when they win but if they lose it's silence other than maybe 15% of players. If they keep losing it's a message about not playing the right way. Is this honor I ask?

I know most of you guys are on PC and love that community but

I love the nebulous passive aggression of just being limited to emotes and the quick chat menu :3:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'll just throw out my own experiences so far; outside of the occasional resyncing (only one of which had a rollback of more than a fraction of a second that I remember) I've had zero lag and no crashes at all. There have been some errors when attempting to initially connect. My friend has crashed once or twice but his computer also crashes every other game we've ever played too so I'm pretty certain that's something to do with his rig. Playing PC from north westernish Indiana with fairly good fiber internet.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
A friend of mine recommended this game to me as "like Dark Souls but better/harder" whatever the gently caress that means, looking at game-play it doesn't seem to be at all like dark souls.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
This game is heaps of fun when I can get a match. I spend as much time in the menus looking for games as playing them though. Would be nice to set match maker not to go past Extended into All Skill Levels. I leave it at All for bot matches and still sometimes the matchmaker just times out and leaves me in the menu.

Once actually into a game though the game is flawless in network gameplay. If someone leaves its a tossup as to whether or not the game just dies (not crash, but the session will end midgame no XP or rewards if 2-3 people leave), but if you have a group of people that want to stick around for multiple games the experience is super fun and not disjointed like it is otherwise.

I seem to be at the same skill level as a lv2 bot. I can beat level 2 bots 70% of the time and they are a good matchup. A lot closer than most players who are 90% a lot worse or better and 10% very close fights. A lot of this probably has to do with me mostly getting Extended skill level games though.

Great game but I wish it had a much bigger player base or much better matchmaking. Ideally both.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Does anybody that plays on PC and uses a DS4 controller know of a way to remap keys? Having Guardbreak as Square is really lame.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

A friend of mine recommended this game to me as "like Dark Souls but better/harder" whatever the gently caress that means, looking at game-play it doesn't seem to be at all like dark souls.

If you're really into the PVP, there's some similarities there, but if you're into Dark Souls for the adventuring, yeah...

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Original Dark Souls gameplay was slow and methodical; the idea was that instead of being a beat-em up or hack and slash you had to pick your moments and when to defend and when to attack. While the actual mechanics aren't quite the same the general feel of it is similar. If you really liked Dark Souls style combat then For Honor is a decent substitute.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

What it has in common with Dark Souls: Swords and armor. That's about it. Gameplay is nothing alike.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

did 2 eliminations for the daily and each one was full of noobs crying about honor and not throwing off ledges or interrupting 1v1's, boy oh geez

I killed everyone I could and burned my javelin and molotov on their best players, eat my honor

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Its nothing like Dark Souls in how it plays. The focus is entirely on PvP and the combat isn't anything like Dark Souls aside from having lock on and swords. If you come here looking for a Dark Souls experience, you won't find one.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
It's nothing special, he tends to say dumb stuff, and the phrase "like Dark Souls but _____" gets thrown around way too much and it's almost never true, cept for Legends of the Fallen "like Dark Souls but shittier" and no I am not really into pvp in DS.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So many cheaters in this game. Last night I had a Warden stand up right in from of my eyes

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

jerichojx posted:

So many cheaters in this game. Last night I had a Warden stand up right in from of my eyes

Filthy cheating Warden! They belong in the dirt, and should STAY there.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Should I be saving these premier crates and scavenging gear until way later on? Seems like you get gear based on your current level or something?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The only way to tell how this game will play for you is having experience with similar games before or trying it out yourself. Not only because P2P depends on the quality of your connection (no, lots of download speed doesn't automatically mean good quality) but also how your router/ISP might deal with port forwarding and whether or not you know how to do it in the first place.

That said it's also fairly obvious that what most people would describe as "connection issues" are actually a bunch of different poo poo, some not even network related. At this point we know that alt-tabbing for example can cause matches to hang and I'm pretty sure there's some severe FPS drops with certain hardware and wet terrain on high settings; they can drop framerate like a brick and might be causing disconnects when people play in/look at certain parts of the map.

It's gonna take a bit to sort everything out but I do think a chunk of problems do come from the user's ends or are wildly exaggerated. This very thread for example has some people that are seeing drophackers and DDoSers everywhere in a population of tens of thousands of concurrent players and, coincidentally, they are seeing them days after lovely youtube videos about the problem were posted here. Nevermind the fact that lag switches as a concept are old as gently caress and used in every single online game ever. It's the same kind of weird paranoia you see in Steam reviews.

I for one put like twenty hours in the game and a large chunk of that was playing with a friend in Norway (I'm from Mexico). We didn't have a single issue or even latency so a whole lot of the most extreme "hurrrrr how oculd anyone ply this what the gently caress" kind of complaints you'd see in reddit or Steam reviews are just ramblings from people that are somehow stuck with a problem and don't know better.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Campbell posted:

Should I be saving these premier crates and scavenging gear until way later on? Seems like you get gear based on your current level or something?

Yeah, I tested in the beta and you'll never get anything worth a poo poo opening crates early, save em til prestige 3 or whenever you can get the purps I guess (im not that high yet)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I wasn't sold in the betas but I gameflyed this and something clicked! I like it!

I still feel there are lots of " what the gently caress?! How?!" moments, but I probably just don't know how to counter them yet. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i bought the mythic outfit for peacekeeper

now everytime i execute someone, the screen explodes in fire :shobon:

all is well