Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

an AOL chatroom posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up on the show, but there's a new podcast called Missing Richard Simmons, all about how he disappeared from the face of the earth three years ago, and what lead up to it. I'm only a few minutes into the first episode now, but it's *real* interesting. Hoping the rest of the episodes are just as good.

https://www.missingrichardsimmons.com

Any chance of a 'tl:dr' for this? I don't necessarily want to listen to a podcast about it, but it definitely seems like an odd situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Sand Monster posted:

Any chance of a 'tl:dr' for this? I don't necessarily want to listen to a podcast about it, but it definitely seems like an odd situation.

My recollection of it (the story not the podcast) is his housekeeper is basically gaslighting him and holding him hostage. She worked her way in and at some point I guess she thought if Richard worked away from her that her meal ticket and future would likely vanish. I'm sure she's in Richard's will so she's trying to make sure she stays there I'm sure.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I get the feeling Artie is in enough control to where he only strikes out at people who can't really hurt his career. A former MADTV castmember is one thing, but a well-known director/producer would mean Artie is ready to die or something.

Artie is many things, and one of those is punching down.

Like Sam Simon?

Sand Monster posted:

Only one episode has dropped so far. The guy doing it was a friend of Richard's and it sounds like the podcast as a way of trying to get more info or at least a reply from Richard. In this episode they go into his history a bit and explain about how social he used to be. One example is how he'd go out and meet bus loads of tourists who would take those Hollywood Homes tours.

They play a few of his last interview and remark about how sad and lonely he seemed. Some people report that he started showing up in full drag, other say his much loved dog died. Some think he just wants time to himself to reflect on life.

There have been rumors that he may have transitioned or in the process or doing so. His housekeeper/best friend has also been very adamant about not allowing anyone to visit or speak to Richard and they think that his person may be stealing money.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

Did anyone else watch Crashing? I thought Artie was pretty good in it. Judd did a good job keeping Artie in check, and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Yeah I thought it was overall good and Artie pretty much played himself and told stories so it was kinda hard to gently caress up.

Hi I am looking for Bob..
Bob A. Booey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn9oXFt5jn4

Mr Lance Murdock fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 21, 2017

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

This is one of my favorite old bits. "Hey Bob! Bob on this!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Yeah I thought it was overall good and Artie pretty much played himself and told stories so it was kinda hard to gently caress up.

Hi I am looking for Bob..
Bob A. Booey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn9oXFt5jn4

I love this clip because it does a perfect job of capturing the energy that made the show great: a room full of "adults" giggling like 5 year olds over a bunch of prank calls. Also they only started pranking Gary because they couldn't get ahold of anyone else :lol:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Artie's on the new HBO show Crashing, I enjoyed him in the 1st episode.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Greg Fitzsimmons podcast interviewed Appatos and that other guy involved in crashing and said Artie was nothing but professional and great for the role in his latest show.

Of course it's Hollywood dudes doing the standard "I love everyone and everything about my product!" talk but it seemed genuine.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

Artie's on the new HBO show Crashing, I enjoyed him in the 1st episode.

Yup, first episode was good and Artie was solid. My wife is not a Stern fan (and would not be an Artie fan if she knew some things about him) and thought he was hilarious.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

cumshitter posted:

Greg Fitzsimmons podcast interviewed Appatos and that other guy involved in crashing and said Artie was nothing but professional and great for the role in his latest show.

Of course it's Hollywood dudes doing the standard "I love everyone and everything about my product!" talk but it seemed genuine.

The guys/gals involved ARE great, but this sort of thing is in abundance with the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul podcasts. I love you Vince and Co, but goddamn :stare:

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Jesus Christ, Wendy is only 37 years old... :stare:

She looks about 55 here:

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
The embedded thing that Wolfie did with Wendy recently was fascinating. What a life.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised she doesn't look worse considering her lifestyle consists of no exercise, eating 780 Eggo waffles a day, and getting raped for crying out loud.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She walks everywhere so she does get some exercise I guess .

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OK, so a friend of mine owns a pizza shop, and he just had to fire this Southie kid for heroin. No OD, nothing dramatic, just some security camera footage of the kid nodding off while (lethargically) stretching out some pizza dough. At one point he is standing at the pizza bench, and almost does a slow faceplant into the dough. While a customer watches through the glass.

The camera footage is loving disturbing. gently caress Stern for having Artie do that right in front of him and ignoring it.

euphronius posted:

She walks everywhere so she does get some exercise I guess .

Yeah, sounds like she is out and about quite a bit. If only to get more food.

Wolfie's description of that meat dumpster made me want to vomit.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

OK, so a friend of mine owns a pizza shop, and he just had to fire this Southie kid for heroin. No OD, nothing dramatic, just some security camera footage of the kid nodding off while (lethargically) stretching out some pizza dough. At one point he is standing at the pizza bench, and almost does a slow faceplant into the dough. While a customer watches through the glass.

The camera footage is loving disturbing. gently caress Stern for having Artie do that right in front of him and ignoring it.

Yeah, sounds like she is out and about quite a bit. If only to get more food.

Wolfie's description of that meat dumpster made me want to vomit.

Are you blaming Howard for Artie nodding off? You realize doing drugs was Artie's doing right? The pizza shop owner is better because he fired the kid? I don't get the point?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I think he means Howard shouldn't have turned it into a bit for the show

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Moniker posted:

Are you blaming Howard for Artie nodding off? You realize doing drugs was Artie's doing right? The pizza shop owner is better because he fired the kid? I don't get the point?

He's saying Howard was an enabler. He positively reinforced the addict behavior because he didn't want to deal with getting Artie off the show because his addiction got in the way of him as a performer.

I'm not remotely blaming Howard for Artie's problems or anything of the sort but he wasn't some bystander here, he played a major role in Artie's life and he should have, at the least, told Artie he didn't approve of what he was doing and that his behavior was negatively affecting the show. If Artie keeps using and ignores the opinions of his friends and co-workers then that's that but at least they took a stand on it. Howard made him go lie down in a makeshift bed and made comedy out of it. It wasn't a good look.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

haljordan posted:

I think he means Howard shouldn't have turned it into a bit for the show

Yeah, and when it got really bad, he just ignored it. Afterwards, he always feigned innocence with various claims of "I didn't know".

My point was that this is obvious behavior that is impossible to ignore, it's a human being disintegrating right in front of you. If it was so obvious on a five-minute security tape, it must have been super obvious when the dude was sitting 6 feet away for 5 hours a day.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Yeah but Artie nodding off and snoring during the Kathy Griffin interview was amazing

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Yeah but Artie nodding off and snoring during the Kathy Griffin interview was amazing

You don't need to be on drugs in this particular case.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I swear I'm not on heroin. It's these drat cupcake Wednesdays.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Squashy Nipples posted:

OK, so a friend of mine owns a pizza shop

What the hell, man?

Pitsarea.

I think you need traction.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, he buys frozen dough balls, though, so there is no danger of having the store stink up the neighborhood in the morning, because Sal left some of the dough out.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

He's saying Howard was an enabler. He positively reinforced the addict behavior because he didn't want to deal with getting Artie off the show because his addiction got in the way of him as a performer.

I'm not remotely blaming Howard for Artie's problems or anything of the sort but he wasn't some bystander here, he played a major role in Artie's life and he should have, at the least, told Artie he didn't approve of what he was doing and that his behavior was negatively affecting the show. If Artie keeps using and ignores the opinions of his friends and co-workers then that's that but at least they took a stand on it. Howard made him go lie down in a makeshift bed and made comedy out of it. It wasn't a good look.

Howard wasn't going to break Artie out of any habit, but it would have been better for everybody involved if Artie faced some real consequences for it. By the time he finally got fired he was getting really bad.

But, water under the bridge at this point. The only one who seems to really care is Artie, and he's doing it so he can keep doing what he's been doing for life until he finally dies. It is interesting to see think that maybe this whole Marci Turk thing came about, in a way, because of Artie. Howard needs to run a show but also needs to keep everybody intact for the show, so turn it into a corporate environment with everything that entails.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Howard wasn't going to break Artie out of any habit, but it would have been better for everybody involved if Artie faced some real consequences for it. By the time he finally got fired he was getting really bad.

Oh for sure, I'm just saying it would have been nice to give him an ultimatum or something so at least it looks like effort was given.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Putting the spotlight on people with terrible mental/substance abuse issues is kinda Howard's bread and butter tho

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, he buys frozen dough balls, though, so there is no danger of having the store stink up the neighborhood in the morning, because Sal left some of the dough out.

I worked at pizza place for a few months, fresh dough isn't that hard to make.

Anyway, speaking of heroin users, we had a girl doing all of our client billing at a consulting company I worked for. One day the cops show up wanting to see some of our records. Turns out she was copying down customer's credit card info and running it through the machine at a diner she worked at on the weekends and was using the money to fund her and her boyfriend's smack habit.

I think they may have arrested her at her house but we processed her termination right away. About a week later we were clearing our her office and saw she had about 10 voice mails. Thinking they may be from clients we decided to listen to them and they were all from her father wondering why she hasn't called him back in a few days.

Last I heard she's clean now and has a kid but lost most of her eyesight from diabetes.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Didn't they pay for rehab for him - multiple times? If I recall correctly he lied about going and went gambling instead. He also lied multiple times about seeing a therapist. If you remember he came clean about his heroin use early on, where the entire staff hugged Artie and offered support and showed genuine sympathy, which he in turn threw in the trash. poo poo, even when Artie kept using, Howard did stuff like host a private party at an Italian restaurant for Artie's birthday to show him that people still cared and loved him...

Remember, Artie's gonna do what Artie's gonna do, and it turns out that means he's going to live life as a junkie loser. It's true the guy was definitely nodding on air and used as entertainment but poo poo he was getting a drat good salary and if he wasn't going to crack jokes might as well use him for something. The Howard Stern show has goofed on, used, and drat near exploited freaks and weirdos for 30 years. Artie rapidly transitioned from cast member to violent, junkie weirdo. Par for the course. Hell I think Artie should go back to his sleeping on the couch routine, it's funnier than anything I've heard from him in 5 years.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

It is interesting to see think that maybe this whole Marci Turk thing came about, in a way, because of Artie. Howard needs to run a show but also needs to keep everybody intact for the show, so turn it into a corporate environment with everything that entails.

It didn't help that Tim Sabean seemed less than equipped for this aspect of the job. And then there are those rumors about Tim himself...

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Howard and the show exposed themselves to big time liability, they are super lucky Artie only threw some poo poo at Teddy and didn't kick his rear end

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

Oh for sure, I'm just saying it would have been nice to give him an ultimatum or something so at least it looks like effort was given.

Oh, I agree completely. I think I misspoke.

kylej posted:

Didn't they pay for rehab for him - multiple times? If I recall correctly he lied about going and went gambling instead. He also lied multiple times about seeing a therapist. If you remember he came clean about his heroin use early on, where the entire staff hugged Artie and offered support and showed genuine sympathy, which he in turn threw in the trash. poo poo, even when Artie kept using, Howard did stuff like host a private party at an Italian restaurant for Artie's birthday to show him that people still cared and loved him...

Remember, Artie's gonna do what Artie's gonna do, and it turns out that means he's going to live life as a junkie loser. It's true the guy was definitely nodding on air and used as entertainment but poo poo he was getting a drat good salary and if he wasn't going to crack jokes might as well use him for something. The Howard Stern show has goofed on, used, and drat near exploited freaks and weirdos for 30 years. Artie rapidly transitioned from cast member to violent, junkie weirdo. Par for the course. Hell I think Artie should go back to his sleeping on the couch routine, it's funnier than anything I've heard from him in 5 years.

At this point the only thing left in Artie's life is death. He looks horrible and he's far beyond the point of anybody going into his orbit that would put up with him to help him recover. Even if he does recover somehow (which would mean his family is dead), any attempt back to sobriety would have to deal with the stress he's put on his body for so long. He would only recover to basically live in pain and eventually die earlier than he would have normally, which would probably be used as fuel to keep him using.

And speaking of users beyond help....

Sand Monster posted:

It didn't help that Tim Sabean seemed less than equipped for this aspect of the job. And then there are those rumors about Tim himself...

I don't think Sirius puts their best management with talk shows, honestly. Not to cross streams, but Sirius had a time of dealing with Fez Whatley when he finally went nuts and stopped working and it took a few years for them to can him as well. Oddly enough, Tim was part of that for a short time, but it's not like management got any better when Tim was eventually fired anyway. Sirius management just really sucks.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Was listening to random clips and this is so crystal clear it just hit me like a truck. Howard flat out spells out why his future remake into PG-rated squeaky clean radio personality happened. Spoiler alert: it's exactly what others have accused him of i.e. jealousy of main stream celebs.

https://youtu.be/XbLpT8Xrz2Q?t=10m2s

The pertinent part is at 10:02 but go back a few minutes to get the whole scope of it if you want.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

an adult beverage posted:

Jesus Christ, Wendy is only 37 years old... :stare:

She looks about 55 here:

Jesus, she needs to stay out of the sun, that's a terrible sun burn she has.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

Was listening to random clips and this is so crystal clear it just hit me like a truck. Howard flat out spells out why his future remake into PG-rated squeaky clean radio personality happened. Spoiler alert: it's exactly what others have accused him of i.e. jealousy of main stream celebs.

https://youtu.be/XbLpT8Xrz2Q?t=10m2s

The pertinent part is at 10:02 but go back a few minutes to get the whole scope of it if you want.

When is this clip from?

Edit: Eh, nevermind, probably around 2001-2003; Artie is in studio, John is still there.

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 23, 2017

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I think the sad thing is that if Artie just hit rock bottom and went to rehab there's such a great chance he'd be able to find some closure about the Stern show. I don't think you have to be a psychologist to see how much it hurts him to have burned those bridges and it must be hard to accept that he's not getting that back. Instead of lashing out and calling Marci Turk a oval office or complaining how Jimmy Kimmel turned Howard into a snob he could be living amends and just be happy instead of caught in the past.

It's pretty hosed up, Artie was great on the show but now we're just watching a slow march towards a lovely ending.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Remember that Artie bribed a doctor to sign off on his rehab so that he could get insured and film Beer League.

Even at the best rehab facilities he's incurable because I don't think he wants to get better.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Plus his mom seems like the biggest enabler in the world

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Artie loves pancakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006