Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I wonder if he is also mentally ill? Probably if he eats the banana.

e: oh my god it is a rastanana

lmao dude legit was mentally ill though, it just didn't make the news circuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

freeedr posted:

"Well, we knew about the dog loving going on here in shitpit texas, land of a billion dumpster fires, but now it's just gotten out of hand"

http://www.newschannel10.com/story/34551104/bestiality-problem-in-amarillo-could-be-controlled-with-new-ordinance

I found out what Morally Inept has been busy doing

It's ok, dogs have a way of shutting that whole thing down.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Turtlicious posted:

lmao dude legit was mentally ill though, it just didn't make the news circuit.

Nah it's pretty obvious, I mean look how overweight he is.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

oldpainless posted:

When did your name change from Bring My Fish Back?

A few months ago.

but my fish never returned :smith:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

A few months ago.

but my fish never returned :smith:

This is very unsettling.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Why is this even a discussion? When you're fat it's not easy to turn something like that around, and we'll never know the many factors that go into that so maybe mind your own business unless they're someone who tries to make money and attention off being unhealthy and obese and tries to play it off like a perfectly healthy thing to do. Most fat people know they aren't healthy. I felt like the same poo poo and had just as much flubber when I went from 245 pounds to 170-something because of a medication that made half a sandwhich my days worth of eating.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

This is everything.

What I find most AUG is the fact he though socks and sandals would be perfect with the bike riding outfit. I'll never understand this and assume it's just pure laziness, because the point of sandals is to let your feet breath and be cooler, but socks negate that.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I am concerned about the departed fish

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That guy doesn't look like he's ridden a bike in awhile. Although if he had been, it is convenient to bring some sandals along if you are going to be walking around because bike shoes aren't so good for that.

And, well, fat people are fat because it's easier. Sugar is in everything, junk food is cheap, addictive and generally more convenient.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Guy Goodbody posted:

A third of American adults are clinically depressed?

At LEAST a third.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

What I find most AUG is the fact he though socks and sandals would be perfect with the bike riding outfit. I'll never understand this and assume it's just pure laziness, because the point of sandals is to let your feet breath and be cooler, but socks negate that.

I find it AUG that he seems to have a fupa without an UPA.

oldpainless posted:

This is very unsettling.

You can call me oldfishless.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pick posted:

At LEAST a third.

then I'm not sure that's actually a disease anymore, that's just a way people are.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Guy Goodbody posted:

then I'm not sure that's actually a disease anymore, that's just a way people are.

Americans tend to be socially isolated and sedentary on top of all the economic woes. A hell of a lot of people just plain can't find enough work and a majority of Americans are in income levels considered poor. Our society shits on everybody that doesn't dedicate their lives entirely to their jobs so those that do have jobs tend to overwork themselves. Others just need to work 2 or 3 jobs just to survive and the rest can't find enough work. Americans are buried in debt, often student loans, and are increasingly struggling to even get the basics. No loving wonder Americans are miserable and try to find outlets for that.

Body image is also a big deal; we're told that if you aren't absolutely better than ten perfect you're a hideous monster that doesn't deserve to be loved. Our society has such impossibly high standards that people are giving in to addictions or just plain giving up.

It's this perfect poo poo storm of "all the things that make people depressed."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Plus there's all these fuckers going around offering sweet sweet guilt-free apathy as an escape mechanism, trying to convince fat, weak bastards like me that they have no chance of working up the energy or willpower to change.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Americans tend to be socially isolated and sedentary on top of all the economic woes. A hell of a lot of people just plain can't find enough work and a majority of Americans are in income levels considered poor. Our society shits on everybody that doesn't dedicate their lives entirely to their jobs so those that do have jobs tend to overwork themselves. Others just need to work 2 or 3 jobs just to survive and the rest can't find enough work. Americans are buried in debt, often student loans, and are increasingly struggling to even get the basics. No loving wonder Americans are miserable and try to find outlets for that.

Body image is also a big deal; we're told that if you aren't absolutely better than ten perfect you're a hideous monster that doesn't deserve to be loved. Our society has such impossibly high standards that people are giving in to addictions or just plain giving up.

It's this perfect poo poo storm of "all the things that make people depressed."

If modern American society is so hosed up that it's driven over a third of the population to clinical depression and then obesity, the solution isn't therapy. It's violent revolution.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The real cause of the obesity crisis is that we are in a unique situation where calories are insanely cheap, and food companies are insanely good at stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain with cheap garbage food, so for the first time in human history it actually requires education and willpower to not get fat.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You can call me oldfishless.

Did we just become best friends?!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Guy Goodbody posted:

If modern American society is so hosed up that it's driven over a third of the population to clinical depression and then obesity, the solution isn't therapy. It's violent revolution.

Not to get all D&D in here, but they're going there.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The mentally ill in America can now own guns so

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

More like oldaloneless :unsmith:

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I own guns

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Start shooting fatty

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

oldpainless posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Heath posted:

It very frequently is the government's business, and it's absolutely the business of hospitals and EMT workers who risk permanent and debilitating injuries lifting persons of size into beds and gurneys, and who are an increasingly taking up room and suffering from completely preventable disorders.

From the last page, but this can't be said enough.

I was out of work for almost a week after we had a 911 call for a "lift assist" (basically, someone fell and couldn't get up), and the patient turned out to be 780lbs, flopping on the ground like a fish. She couldn't get off the floor. She couldn't get up off the loving floor.

Yeah, gently caress all that body positivity and fat acceptance bullshit. Be healthy. Don't let yourself get to be almost a 1/2 ton. You'll inevitably gently caress up other people's livelihood's just like you hosed your own up.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

that's called

, dear

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Zipperelli. posted:

I was out of work for almost a week after we had a 911 call for a "lift assist" (basically, someone fell and couldn't get up), and the patient turned out to be 780lbs, flopping on the ground like a fish. She couldn't get off the floor. She couldn't get up off the loving floor.

Yeah, gently caress all that body positivity and fat acceptance bullshit. Be healthy. Don't let yourself get to be almost a 1/2 ton. You'll inevitably gently caress up other people's livelihood's just like you hosed your own up.

That's so sad. Really, that is awful.

My friend is a pediatric nurse and one of the reasons she went into pediatrics is because she's a very small girl and was worried about this exact situation.

BTW Tess Holliday has two kids. I wonder if they're going to have healthier body types?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

BTW Tess Holliday has two kids. I wonder if they're going to have healthier body types?

how problematic of u to ask these awful questions. u need to get yourself educated on how the social fat-shaming of children will lead to only harm! https://thebodyisnotanapology.com/magazine/when-meaning-well-does-harm-why-we-keep-socially-shaming-fat-kids/

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Fat people are hard to push in wheelchairs when they are too fat, so please do not be too fat and then I can push you, thanks.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Zipperelli. posted:

Half a ton as in 500 kg? Pretty sure at that point there is a mental issue behind it. I've had an addiction to food since I was like twelve and only started talking about it in the last year because I was and still am incredibly ashamed of it. Thank God I'm real tall though :v:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
It's me, I am the AUG for continuing this big fat derail.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

Actually, that lady (who has that face the whole way it seems) is pretty sympathetic and I agree with her. It shouldn't be about shame, it should be about getting people where they have the best quality of life, and want that for themselves, and know how to do it. It's a society-wide issue that involves a lot of nuance. I would say that for the most part that the video is on the wrong question though, which is not "is fat healthy?" but to what extent individuals have an obligation to be healthy. I think they're right, it's different in Australia where there's a public health service, versus other nations where the social safety nets are laxer.

People have an obligation to be healthy if they want to receive social support. In Japan employers are penalized if they employees do not meet certain standards of fitness (basically an extra health insurance malus levied on them), because a mass health crisis like we have in the West destroys the ability of a medical system to function. There's nothing nuanced about the selfish stance of "I get to do what I want, and bear no repercussions".

Turtlicious posted:

Instead go to a psychiatrist so that you aren't the kind of person who eats a can of whipped cream. There's a reason you're doing that, and you should get mental help.

For most people it has little to do with mental illness (at least at the beginning), and a lot to do with predatory marketing, natural reflexive behaviour to indulge in fattening foods, and a weak willpower or no external pressure to counteract the forces encouraging EVERYBODY to get fat in a modern society where everything is not only available in excess, but also aggressively pushed into your life by people paid to make profit from tricking you into making poor decisions.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 10:27 on Feb 22, 2017

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

The Saddest Rhino posted:

that's called

, dear

Extreme masturbating

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Zipperelli. posted:

350 kg :eyepop:

Honestly, at that point you probably should have just turned around and forwarded the case to a safe moving company, they got winches and platforms that can handle that kinda loads.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

People have an obligation to be healthy if they want to receive social support. In Japan employers are penalized if they employees do not meet certain standards of fitness (basically an extra health insurance malus levied on them), because a mass health crisis like we have in the West destroys the ability of a medical system to function. There's nothing nuanced about the selfish stance of "I get to do what I want, and bear no repercussions".

Then why don't Japanese companies promote a healthier lifestyle than "smoke like a chimney, drink like a fish, eat instant noodles because you're busy, and sleep 12 hours a week"? I'm not arguing with you, I'm legitimately curious. The business culture in Japan doesn't really leave much room for healthful living and for every article I see claiming Japanese companies are trying to change their crushing ways, there's very little evidence that anything is really evolving.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

yeah the way i've seen it they do these little morning exercises, which are superficial at best when the sarariman syndrome is so prevalent with office workers being forced to work hours after their bosses leave, sleeping in pods because they couldn't catch the last train, and having to go for beer binging sessions just because a client/boss wants it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Then why don't Japanese companies promote a healthier lifestyle than "smoke like a chimney, drink like a fish, eat instant noodles because you're busy, and sleep 12 hours a week"? I'm not arguing with you, I'm legitimately curious. The business culture in Japan doesn't really leave much room for healthful living and for every article I see claiming Japanese companies are trying to change their crushing ways, there's very little evidence that anything is really evolving.

I don't know that much about this stuff, I just know that government mandates regular check-ups of all employees, and issues fines if people are not within the health guidelines for their demographic bracket, including overweight. They also mandate that employers issue seminars and counselling for people who fail their checks. I don't know what exactly these checks must entail under mandatory scope, but I suspect things like early signs of alcohol or stress related health issues are not that easily detectable without more thorough examination. Also just last year, large companies became obligated to provide stress testing and mental health counselling: https://www.towerswatson.com/en/Ins...r-stress-checks

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Just guessing but 'being fat' are probably seen as both moral failing and 'unjapanese' (assuming that sumo wrestlers aren't seen as fat, just huge). So punishing for fatness is both moral and patriotic.

On other hand working yourself to bone is admirable, even if the results aren't worth the cost, and the fact that it kills you slowly is just regretable cost of it all.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I always laugh when Japan gets brought up as a healthy country. Japan has the highest levels of diabetes in persons who don't have genetic predisposition (EMEA basically) in the world. Basically, Japanese people eat so badly that they give themselves diabetes even when its really loving hard to do so. It's just an entire nation of skinnyfat people.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zipperelli. posted:

I've gained some weight lately but I'm only now pushing the start of "overweight." Even then I'm reworking my eating habits and making sure I get more exercise because quite frankly I don't ever want to be that person.

I'm just flat out god damned terrified of having That First Day. I always wondered what goes through the mind of a death fat person on the first day they wake up in the morning and can't leave their bed because they're just too fat to move. What do they really think when they realize that it's too late now. They've passed a point of no return. What goes through the mind of a person who ate themselves into immobility and can't even get to the bathroom by themselves anymore?

I decided that I never, ever want to find out. Every time I hear a story like that my first thought is "yeah I'm going for a walk today. A couple miles, I think. Getting a salad for lunch too."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I've gained some weight lately but I'm only now pushing the start of "overweight." Even then I'm reworking my eating habits and making sure I get more exercise because quite frankly I don't ever want to be that person.

I'm just flat out god damned terrified of having That First Day. I always wondered what goes through the mind of a death fat person on the first day they wake up in the morning and can't leave their bed because they're just too fat to move. What do they really think when they realize that it's too late now. They've passed a point of no return. What goes through the mind of a person who ate themselves into immobility and can't even get to the bathroom by themselves anymore?

I decided that I never, ever want to find out. Every time I hear a story like that my first thought is "yeah I'm going for a walk today. A couple miles, I think. Getting a salad for lunch too."

It's never too late. That super giant dude in Mexico or wherever lost like 800lbs. I'm at work so can't look up the story or anything, but I think he may actually be able to walk again after being bed ridden for years and years. It takes hard work and commitment and a lifestyle change. That's why everyone doesn't do it.

• Locked thread