Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
What's the best curved greatsword in this game? Carthus looks the coolest but I'm not sure it will hit quick enough to take advantage of bleed. Should I just go murakumo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

skasion posted:

What's the best curved greatsword in this game? Carthus looks the coolest but I'm not sure it will hit quick enough to take advantage of bleed. Should I just go murakumo?

The Exile Greatsword is the most damaging but weighs a shitload. The Murakumo is only slightly stronger than the CCG, but is heavier and lacks bleed. Stick with the CCG.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Carving my way through the DS2 DLC and holy poo poo, gently caress the Slumbering Dragon. Bad enough he's toxic but the durability damage was insane. Had 3-4 tries where we killed each other at the same time before I got him.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm doing a quick mess-around with DS2 while I wait for the 25th's Return to Drangleic thing and also for DS3 DLC2.

I really enjoyed it when it came out but going back to it now, it feels like an absolute mess. The gameplay is great but the world design in general is just all over the place. Each level feels like it was made totally separately from everything else and just cobbled together.

It's so weird going back to it after finishing Demon's Souls, DS1 and DS3 fairly recently. Definitely the weak link in terms of world design.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm doing a quick mess-around with DS2 while I wait for the 25th's Return to Drangleic thing and also for DS3 DLC2.

I really enjoyed it when it came out but going back to it now, it feels like an absolute mess. The gameplay is great but the world design in general is just all over the place. Each level feels like it was made totally separately from everything else and just cobbled together.

It's so weird going back to it after finishing Demon's Souls, DS1 and DS3 fairly recently. Definitely the weak link in terms of world design.

After all the talk about the elevator earlier, I was surprised to head through the Castle, into a cave made of water you can drown in, and then down further into a Crypt under it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No Man's Wharf is also a cave that is exposed to open air at sea level even though you travel straight downward underwater to get there. At some point you gotta accept that they just didn't really care and it's a shame and move on. Unlike the Dark Souls 2 thread which had a 3 or 4 page argument about it every time it came up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm one of those dumbasses who couldn't find the lever to get to Heide's tower (:downs:) and also sequence broke so I didn't get to No Man's until much later than normal and it's a real standout stinker of an area.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Really ? I though No Man's was one of the better spots in the base game. Decent geography / design and encounters. It has some personality unlike the stinky green fullbright shitshow of the Poison Valley.

Drangleic Castles intro is cool but the castle itself is so barren and abstractly laid out. Comparing it to the more complex architecture and room by room detail design of Anor Londo really makes it look bad in comparison.

Edit: I really really wish Heide's had more to it. I love the look of that area. The fact that you don't even get to climb the titular Tower Of Flame is so disappointing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shrine of Amana's location didn't bother me too much since you took a big elevator down to it, and even then you start overlooking the zone. Presumably it's behind the castle.

Lothric castle being visible from almost every zone in DS3 was a nice way to handle things.

A lore thing that has me confused/curious (related to a late game area) that I haven't found a lore video on yet: At first I though Dark Firelink was just some weird physical impossibility location wise, but if you look from regular firelink you can tell that you're behind lothric castle, and to the left, which more or less lines up with the Consumed King's Garden. But consider that you only ever can travel to and from light firelink by warping, where as just about every other part of the world can be transitioned to from one another (With the exception of Archdragon Peak) suggesting that dark Firelink is part of the rest of the world and your firelink might not be? Is there something to this - or is it just herp derp time is convoluted?

beepstreet posted:

Really ? I though No Man's was one of the better spots in the base game. Decent geography / design and encounters. It has some personality unlike the stinky green fullbright shitshow of the Poison Valley.

Drangleic Castles intro is cool but the castle itself is so barren and abstractly laid out. Comparing it to the more complex architecture and room by room detail design of Anor Londo really makes it look bad in comparison.

Edit: I really really wish Heide's had more to it. I love the look of that area. The fact that you don't even get to climb the titular Tower Of Flame is so disappointing.

Yeah, same, even though place was a royal pain in the rear end because I never thought to actually try out a strike weapon.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
NMW is a really good zone that avoids a lot of the failures of level design common in DS2: it looks cool and provides a strong aesthetic impression (especially when lit up), there's multiple paths to go for most of the way through the level, the shortcut is useful (granted it was added after release), there's an interesting mix of enemies and combat situations, a couple NPCs to track down so there's more to do than just run through to the boss, it uses the torch mechanics, and it doesn't deluge you in bonfires every ten feet so you actually need to learn the level.

That said its placement doesn't make a lick of sense, but none of the DS2 levels do really, even the ones which were clearly designed to link to one another and not just kludged together. You have to take what you can get.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
So I finished watchdogs covenant on a new character, and muled the ring up to my main achievements character thanks to a friendly goon.

So close to stupid plat. Although whoever made the recommendation to do farron at level 30 thank you I got it done in basically a day.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

beepstreet posted:

Yeah, Heide's was cool as hell but way too tiny.

Those Old Knights were the enemies I never got the hang of in that game, though. In DS3 it's the loving Pontiff Knights in Irithyll. They always gently caress me up no matter how many times I've fought them.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

^burtle posted:

Carving my way through the DS2 DLC and holy poo poo, gently caress the Slumbering Dragon. Bad enough he's toxic but the durability damage was insane. Had 3-4 tries where we killed each other at the same time before I got him.

Man that's the only fight I like the dlcs. Hell it's one of my favorite in the game. I must be insane though because people like the rest of sunken king and I hate it

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

CJacobs posted:

No Man's Wharf is also a cave that is exposed to open air at sea level even though you travel straight downward underwater to get there. At some point you gotta accept that they just didn't really care and it's a shame and move on. Unlike the Dark Souls 2 thread which had a 3 or 4 page argument about it every time it came up.
Um excuse me, Dark Souls 2's level design killed my brother.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Man that's the only fight I like the dlcs. Hell it's one of my favorite in the game. I must be insane though because people like the rest of sunken king and I hate it

The durability thing was the only thing that really bugged me. I get you can only push boss fights in so many directions but the first boss was just Nashandra who can summon, and then a poison dragon... "Better give him stone skin!" I was flashing back to WoW in a bad way.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Interrupting the cycle of tossing an ascetic on the hate-flame for DS2 to post my new favorite screenshot I've ever taken:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Good fashion

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

2 is so weird to me in that it's not just like it feels like it was made by a different team, it feels like it was made by an entirely different company, like a Metal Gear Rising-style spin-off rather than a sequel.

I still like it but having just finished 3 for the second time and coming off 1 recently, it's bizarrely different.

Bring back Bonfire Ascetics tho

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Giant Isopod posted:

Interrupting the cycle of tossing an ascetic on the hate-flame for DS2 to post my new favorite screenshot I've ever taken:

Nameless King lends himself to some really cool looking screenshots.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Youre supposed to play 2 in a bit diffrent fashion from usual souls games yes. The enemies do a lot more damage to you and there are more enemies at the same time than in other souls games and it gives you a lot of healing to make up for this so youre at full health after every encounter. It also encourages a lot more aggressive play style since blocking isnt as good as it is in 1 and 3. Due to the estus being a lot slower they also made it so some enemies and bosses are very active in punishing mid fight drinking. Not that its impossible to drink mid combat, but doing it while they are free to attack will mean they will try to punish it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

2 is so weird to me in that it's not just like it feels like it was made by a different team, it feels like it was made by an entirely different company, like a Metal Gear Rising-style spin-off rather than a sequel.

I still like it but having just finished 3 for the second time and coming off 1 recently, it's bizarrely different.

Bring back Bonfire Ascetics tho

Yeah, the torch mechanics, durability and corrosive mechanics and handling of death penalties make it really stand out from 1 & 3, for better or worse. I find it kind of funny that 3 has 2's "gear auto repairs at bonfires" but basically removes the risk of your weapons ever breaking.

I'd love for a bonfire ascetic in DS1... I apparently need to do NG++ if I want the "all rare weapons" achievement because you need 3 from Sif's soul.

Iretep posted:

Youre supposed to play 2 in a bit diffrent fashion from usual souls games yes. The enemies do a lot more damage to you and there are more enemies at the same time than in other souls games and it gives you a lot of healing to make up for this so youre at full health after every encounter. It also encourages a lot more aggressive play style since blocking isnt as good as it is in 1 and 3. Due to the estus being a lot slower they also made it so some enemies and bosses are very active in punishing mid fight drinking. Not that its impossible to drink mid combat, but doing it while they are free to attack will mean they will try to punish it.

Maybe it was my choice of shield but blocking has felt at it's weakest in 3 with how hard you get punished for getting guard-broke.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Having played through 2 recently the enemies do not in fact do a lot more damage to you and are roughly on par with the damage you take in DS1

It's DS3 where everything does insane amounts of damage.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I love all the games. DS2 for me is the most game-y, where although the settings and storyline stuff isn't as engaging as the others, the build variety and quality of the PVP has made it my most played out of the series by a significant degree. And of course the DLC is the bomb. Even if DS2 is the weakest in the series (debatable, I think the quality of the Ringed City will decide that), it's still head and shoulder above most games. It definitely stands out from the series but I can appreciate the risks it took and the experimentation. I kind of have a problem with how hard DS3 leans on DS1.

But its all good. Praise that motherfucking sun.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Maybe it was my choice of shield but blocking has felt at it's weakest in 3 with how hard you get punished for getting guard-broke.

As long as you dont get guard broke and use greatshields, shields still stupidly broken in 3. Like nameless king is made a joke with a high lightning resist greatshield. In 2 even greatshields are just alright, you can take a few hits but you cant really use to rightout cheese anything since you can block 3 hits at max.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Shields are lopsided towards Greatshields being effective while normal shields are a little underpowered imo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Giant Isopod posted:

-1000 points for using the ethereal oak shield.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Internet Kraken posted:

-1000 points for using the ethereal oak shield.

What's wrong with the ethereal oak shield? It has a nice silver and black coloration that matches a lot of good fashion at a relatively low weight and it has a solid passive bonus and 100% phys block. Unless you are just knocking him for wearing something fairly common, in which case you might as well criticize the astora's greatsword, fire keeper robes, and aristocrat's mask which are super common fashion items as well.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
I'm level 40 playing my first run-through of Dark Souls 3 and I'm still not getting the hang of navigating the levels. Namely, knowing the route from one place to another. Moreover the subtlety of the lore is going way over my head; I can barely remember boss names. Is it normal to feel so lost or do I have a spacky brain?

I realise that the game is not going to hold my hand and I'm not wanting for a minimap and such. The challenge is a breath of fresh air but I do hope that the way in which I think about the game 'clicks' some time.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Beige posted:

I'm level 40 playing my first run-through of Dark Souls 3 and I'm still not getting the hang of navigating the levels. Namely, knowing the route from one place to another. Moreover the subtlety of the lore is going way over my head; I can barely remember boss names. Is it normal to feel so lost or do I have a spacky brain?

I realise that the game is not going to hold my hand and I'm not wanting for a minimap and such. The challenge is a breath of fresh air but I do hope that the way in which I think about the game 'clicks' some time.

Just explore dude. Look around you

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
So this is a thing I found funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iroKpg35n0g

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

beepstreet posted:

Look around you

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thank You, Dark Souls.

Thark Souls

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
My friend, fashion is Danger.:

also a dick moment:

this, however, is what Dark Souls is all about :

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Beige posted:

Try jumping.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

try finger, but hole

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

horse,
but hole

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
beware liar ahead

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
praise the soup!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
One of my top rated messages is "Praise the sun! but hole!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
No chest ahead therefore try despair