Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Drifter posted:

I mean, eventually if you don't die, and after several months of intense discomfort maybe a body develops antibodies.

Honestly though I can't believe an entire species (or just rent a loving solarian for a few weeks) wouldn't develop SOME form of artificial antibody development and administer it to their newborns.

It's sci fi which means they came up with a hook (space gypsies that lose their immune system from living in spaceships forever) and then stopped there.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I played Mass Effect 3 tonight. I'm not sure why. I didn't remember much about it. Somehow, though, I do have a DLC pack that gives you a sniper rifle that fires exploding bullets, so maybe the old ME1 craziness is not as forgotten as we think.

This is a pretty wild game. A lot of the writing is dumb, dumb, dumb - the main plot hops from one oo-rah war-game cliche to the next with a disorienting lack of coherence - but as you step away from the critical path, the mawkishness gives way to some genuine pathos, and the characters get a chance to show their detail. And I've still got Tuchanka ahead of me. It's still got a lot of the same old stiff animations (I half-expect to see that one gesture from Jade Empire), but at other times they clearly really stepped up their game in terms of spectacle and presentation, with the direction of individual scenes achieving a clarity that's often missing from their earlier work.

And, of course, the game design is pretty much Goldilocks. I can't find any negatives. We all remember how the character-building in ME1 was bloated to the point of tedium, then they trimmed so much fat in ME2 that they nicked the bone - but it's the little things, too. More dialog has been liberated from trees, the environments are compact, and they even managed to make scanning interesting by adding an element of risk to it. The level design both plays better and looks more natural than before. Even though the War Score system ended up being meaningless in the end, along the way it's pretty cool seeing a paragraph or two about the outcome of virtually every single decision or side objective in every single mission.

I said it when it was new, and I'll say it again now - despite the huge, obvious problems that everybody hates for good reason, Mass Effect 3 contains some of Bioware's very best work. So I got a pretty good feeling about Andromeda.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SgtSteel91 posted:

But there were definitely some sketchy parts in Jacob's writing, like in 3 where he could cheat on Shepard and get another woman pregnant.

I was never in a relationship with Jacob, but did they give him any reason for that, other than "You were in space jail!!!"?
And to also be fair, The way Shepard was hitting him up as a corporate superior he probably just froze his face in a rictus grin and figured that it would be safer to stick his dick in crazy rather than have it be shot off.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Drifter posted:

I mean, eventually if you don't die, and after several months of intense discomfort maybe a body develops antibodies.

Honestly though I can't believe an entire species (or just rent a loving solarian for a few weeks) wouldn't develop SOME form of artificial antibody development and administer it to their newborns.

But is it not just the fact that they get sick easily, but that they also have like ananaphylactic reaction to things (due to their opposite-land proteins)? So, boosting their immune systems would potentially make things worse? It's like walking a tight rope. Boost the immune system, sure, you don't get sick, but you have a horrible reaction and that might kill you. Leave the immune system weakened, and you've got less to worry about from the protein stuff but a sneeze might be the death of you.

Just strikes me as one of the bits from Bioware trying to placate the waifu contingent.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Jacob was trash because he was dull as heck and his VA sucked

What was his defining characteristic? Was it his rock hard abs? Cause I cant think of much else

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SgtSteel91 posted:

But there were definitely some sketchy parts in Jacob's writing, like in 3 where he could cheat on Shepard and get another woman pregnant.

Or being a Black character whose father turns out to be a criminal and rapist.

This is true. The second part in particular.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
How much is EA paying all these Twitch streamers to replay Mass Effect 2 (and even ME1) but not touch ME3?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Jacob was trash because he was dull as heck and his VA sucked

What was his defining characteristic? Was it his rock hard abs? Cause I cant think of much else

His deal was being calm, diplomatic, and well-adjusted. Doesn't make him an interesting conversational partner, but every scene he's in, he's there keeping things on track and deescalating. He also ends up being the perfect example of how Cerberus tried to fool Shepard into thinking they were on the level by assigning every decent person and/or total schmuck in their entire mad science terrorism syndicate to the Normandy.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Bongo Bill posted:

every scene he's in, he's there keeping things on track and deescalating.

that's BORING

He is a boring bozo

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I feel like ME2 was pushing Jacob as "Shepard's buddy" but then ME3 properly acknowledged that that was Garrus.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Thor-Stryker posted:

I kinda wish Bioware would allow 'ammo' guns to be more powerful than their heatsink counterparts by making it so you can only stock up ammo on your ship or other MilkyWay outposts.

Even something as simple as a limited set of ammo, if you run out, then you pop in the dispersion heatsink and take a DPS loss until you find more regular ammo.

Or apparently everyone will just carry 7.62 no matter where they are in the universe.
I'm guessing that all of the mass driver guns shoot tiny slivers off a metal block like they did in ME1, and the thermal clips are there to absorb a certain amount of heat that equals 30 assault rifle shots or 4 magnum shots or something like that.

Still doesn't explain why guns can't cool down on their own. And apparently only Milky Way guns are mass drivers, so how you're going to be able to loot thermal clips is anyone's guess. I guess the heatsinks are coincidentally interchangeable between Milky Way and Andromedan weapons.

JBP posted:

I liked Miranda. I always recall her as basically being my 2nd in command.
Miranda is cool, but her design of being Yvonne Strahovski in a ludicrously tight catsuit stands completely at odds with her "initially cold-hearted commander with a chip on her shoulder" personality.

Apparently circa ME2 Bioware came to the conclusion that you can't be an attractive woman unless you're performing an EVA spacewalk in nothing but three leather belts and a prayer.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 22, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
To be fair most women with perfect bodies are comfortable showcasing said bodies

just saying JUST SAYING

If I was miranda and I had the choice of showing off the genetically enhanced super-rear end and NOT doing so, I would totally do so

Same if I was supersoldier Shepard though, I'd always wear tight shirts and pants:getin:

thanks for listening

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Who's this Jacob people are talking about? New squaddie?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I've been replaying the series over the last month and finished the full run tonight. This was my first time playing the ME3 DLCs and having the extra missions helped even out the pacing that had felt too rushed originally, though apparently I missed about 80% of the optional Citadel interactions so I'm very tempted to do another run to see them. The fact that I'd forgotten most of the dialogue may have worked to its advantage too ("Does this unit have a soul?" in the final dream sequence caught me since I wasn't expecting it and knew I was going to pick Destroy this time). Gameplay wise, coming straight out of ME2, it felt much better from the start as there's less reliance on waist-high cover and more freedom of movement, and more interesting weapon/power combos -- I had a lot of fun with Claymore/Cloak which wasn't a possibility before. There are even a couple of self-cooling rifles that I didn't really try out since they don't synergize with cloaked first strikes but maybe they'd be better with another class.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I hope they are keeping a lot of character stuff close to the vest. Jaal being the only non-Milky Way party member available would be a bummer, especially since he looks so dumb.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

I played Mass Effect 3 tonight. I'm not sure why. I didn't remember much about it. Somehow, though, I do have a DLC pack that gives you a sniper rifle that fires exploding bullets, so maybe the old ME1 craziness is not as forgotten as we think.

This is a pretty wild game. A lot of the writing is dumb, dumb, dumb - the main plot hops from one oo-rah war-game cliche to the next with a disorienting lack of coherence - but as you step away from the critical path, the mawkishness gives way to some genuine pathos, and the characters get a chance to show their detail. And I've still got Tuchanka ahead of me. It's still got a lot of the same old stiff animations (I half-expect to see that one gesture from Jade Empire), but at other times they clearly really stepped up their game in terms of spectacle and presentation, with the direction of individual scenes achieving a clarity that's often missing from their earlier work.

And, of course, the game design is pretty much Goldilocks. I can't find any negatives. We all remember how the character-building in ME1 was bloated to the point of tedium, then they trimmed so much fat in ME2 that they nicked the bone - but it's the little things, too. More dialog has been liberated from trees, the environments are compact, and they even managed to make scanning interesting by adding an element of risk to it. The level design both plays better and looks more natural than before. Even though the War Score system ended up being meaningless in the end, along the way it's pretty cool seeing a paragraph or two about the outcome of virtually every single decision or side objective in every single mission.

I said it when it was new, and I'll say it again now - despite the huge, obvious problems that everybody hates for good reason, Mass Effect 3 contains some of Bioware's very best work. So I got a pretty good feeling about Andromeda.

I just finished a playthrough of the trilogy this past weekend and I pretty much agree with you on ME3. There are some fantastic little character moments sprinkled throughout that game, Javik and Garrus in particular have some really great moments. The battle to retake earth is also a pretty great set piece. That said, in playing it again it becomes really obvious that that game just did not get enough development time. Things like side quests, scanning, upgrades, and even the war score mechanic seem like it was just thrown in or only half implemented.

Honestly one of the things that has me most hopeful for Andromeda is that they've been working on it for five years, long enough to really flesh out the systems in that game. Whether they have or not we'll see but at least they've been given the opportunity.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Will there be Day 1 DLC to give the asari teammate a less stupid name?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There will be a day 1 DLC that'll give her a huge honkin dick

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
citadel was the best dlc because you could finally romance samara

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

should i play ME2 and 3 before andromeda

y/n

NO.

Absolutely not. Play ME:A fresh because you definitely do not want to see how badly ME3 hosed up after ME2.

This is the closest to a soft reboot for the franchise as we're going to get. Nothing previously will matter.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

DancingShade posted:

NO.

Absolutely not. Play ME:A fresh because you definitely do not want to see how badly ME3 hosed up after ME2.

This is the closest to a soft reboot for the franchise as we're going to get. Nothing previously will matter.

Always play ME2. Never play ME3.

Well, not never, it has some merits if you can ignore the really dumb worldbuilding bits and the stupid starchild poo poo (I'm Shepard, I saw millions die, why the gently caress would I care about some random boy? Maybe if it was Pressly. Hell, I cared more for loving Jenkins, the gently caress-up than starchild), especially with the Citadel DLC. But don't expect a great game like ME2. Which might be something to also keep in mind for ME:A.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Decius posted:

Always play ME2. Never play ME3.

Just this.

Sorry I respect what you're saying as I was also flabbergasted that ME3 was so terrible and I tried to mentally redeem the purchase with the rather neat multiplayer horde mode but ME3 is poo poo and ME2 ends on a cliffhanger.

A cool but cuckolded cliffhanger. Just move on and forget it ever happened. Hope ME:A is better.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Drifter posted:

a modern gfx card to last for two+ years and 8GB of ram plus this game would cost less than either console and the game, by about $100-$200 dollars.

Sorry, homie. Wish you could play it. Although, if you can play Me3 on your comp, you could likely play this.

I bought a 1050gtx for 120 bucks a few weeks ago to just drop into my off the shelf Lenovo. I wasn't expecting miracles for that price but I'm impressed. It runs newer games with better graphics and framerate at 1080p than my PS4 does, although that's just going by how I feel, but either way, you don't need super high end poo poo just to be able to play games fairly decently on a reasonable setting.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Speaking of silly niggly things, can you draw and holster your weapons in ME:A?

I remember watching my folding guns in ME1 and thinking "neato" and it added something for me that helped me feel a little bit more immersed? Then I remember playing the ME3 (demo I think) and going oh wheres the button to put my gun away. After googling and seeing there wasn't that option I was more disappointed than I should have been.

Just made it feel even more like a shooter as well as the poor 1/2 dialogue choices. When the ending debacle happened too I just wondered what went on with ME3.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

eonwe posted:

y/n

I mean, I wouldn't recommend going out and buying them now, but if you already have them and just backlogged them then sure, go for it. I think it might actually be better to play ME3 going in knowing that the ends are real loving bad and there's some real stupid decisions (starchild/kid stuff in general, dream sequences, etc) since that knowledge tempers your expectations and you don't really expect any real grand closure. It was definitely disappointing how Bioware didn't follow through on all their claims that every decision you make matters and they shouldn't be excused for that, but if you can move past it I think ME3 was the tightest the gameplay itself had been and there's some nice moments throughout (Mordin on Tuchanka, bottle shooting with Garrus, chatting with Thane about his newfound peace). It's less a grand sendoff for these characters you've come to know and love and more like one last adventure with the gang, and I personally think that's okay.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I feel like I'm the only one who loves ME3 sometimes, but then I did play each game the same way the whole way through - Renegade everything, never using anyone other than the below teams.

My team in the first game was always Shephed, Garrus and Liara. In ME2 it was always Shepherd, Garrus and Mordin (or the loyalty mission member) and in ME3 it was always Shepherd, Garrus and Liara again.

Garrus is the best character in the ME franchise and I had such an awesome time taking him on missions with me!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Mass Effect 3 is good. Play the Mass Effect game.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who loves ME3 sometimes, but then I did play each game the same way the whole way through - Renegade everything, never using anyone other than the below teams.

My team in the first game was always Shephed, Garrus and Liara. In ME2 it was always Shepherd, Garrus and Mordin (or the loyalty mission member) and in ME3 it was always Shepherd, Garrus and Liara again.

Garrus is the best character in the ME franchise and I had such an awesome time taking him on missions with me!

Nah, I really enjoyed ME3 as well and still do today. The kid stuff is boring and I found the ending more anticlimactic than anything else, though I do think of that stuff more negatively now in retrospect than I did when I first played it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm having a hard time pushing myself through ME1. I do like the story and characters, but I guess it's the old jankyness? Hard to put my finger on it. Right now I'm almost done with the mission to find Liara......do I have to drive the Mako as much as I have in this mission most other times? I don't hate the mako parts, but I do find them boring. While I don't love the regular combat, I don't find it terribly bad or anything either. I guess it's mostly the mako thing.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah you're gonna use the Mako a lot, I'm fine with it even if it got a lot of hate at the time of ME 1 launch. Attacking a raider/pirate outpost with the Mako was always fun, even if you got less XP from it

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

eonwe posted:

y/n

No, but you should play the ME3 multiplayer because it is cool and good.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The Mako was one of my favourite things about ME1. I loved driving over these amazing landscapes and just exploring wild planet surfaces. It was truly what I wanted most from a space opera series and I am so bummed that ME2 got rid of that.

ME2 is my least favourite because of creating so many differing changes to a game I truly adore. It probably does have the absolute best side mission in the whole of the trilogy though: Exploring the ruins of the Normandy 1.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

VideoGames posted:

ME2 is my least favourite because of creating so many differing changes to a game I truly adore. It probably does have the absolute best side mission in the whole of the trilogy though: Exploring the ruins of the Normandy 1.
That really makes the design shift in ME3 even more painful. ME2's greatest strength was its dexterous handling of the emotional element in scenes. That's why it's the funniest, the saddest, the coolest, whatever and whenever it needs to be. The mission to explore the Normandy's wreckage is solemn and haunting. There's no dialogue or combat, just the sound of howling wind accompanied by the eerie Collector theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFf60ECWpzU&t=93s
Remember when ME3 has the tearful goodbyes with all of your companions just before the final run for the beam? Remember how it gets interrupted by a turret sequence? Remember how every drat mission in ME3 had moments of drama and pathos jarringly interrupted by sudden out-of-place combat encounters with dudes literally dropping from the sky in waves?
Imagine if that mission had that. Imagine if a bunch of loving Blue Suns were scavenging the Normandy's wreckage, and Shepard had to fight them off. They'd probably plant a bomb in the wreckage of the bridge, and Shepard would have to defuse before it blew up the entire site.
There's a time and a place for big, dumb action. I feel like ME2 understood that, while ME3 continuously struggled with it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Beefstew posted:

That really makes the design shift in ME3 even more painful. ME2's greatest strength was its dexterous handling of the emotional element in scenes. That's why it's the funniest, the saddest, the coolest, whatever and whenever it needs to be. The mission to explore the Normandy's wreckage is solemn and haunting. There's no dialogue or combat, just the sound of howling wind accompanied by the eerie Collector theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFf60ECWpzU&t=93s
Remember when ME3 has the tearful goodbyes with all of your companions just before the final run for the beam? Remember how it gets interrupted by a turret sequence? Remember how every drat mission in ME3 had moments of drama and pathos jarringly interrupted by sudden out-of-place combat encounters with dudes literally dropping from the sky in waves?
Imagine if that mission had that. Imagine if a bunch of loving Blue Suns were scavenging the Normandy's wreckage, and Shepard had to fight them off. They'd probably plant a bomb in the wreckage of the bridge, and Shepard would have to defuse before it blew up the entire site.
There's a time and a place for big, dumb action. I feel like ME2 understood that, while ME3 continuously struggled with it.

This is where I think my leaving of playing ME3 till citadel was released had such a different view on the third compared to most other people.
I played ME1 on PC a few weeks before ME2 was released (because I wanted to take one save all the way through). I played ME2 on release day and was so saddened by the changes to one of my favourite games that I ignored ME3 on release day and ignored any information about it. When Citadel came out is when I dug up my save file from ME1/ME2, corrected a few of the flags that the thread warned about, and began my playthrough.

I enjoyed the combat most in ME3, so having those emotional moments interspersed with combat was fine (also because the whole galaxy was at war so it seemed logical) and everything that happened in ME3 including the ending (which is Citadel as I played it after completing the game) resonated really, really tremendously with me. I had a wonderful time and it makes me truly sad that others did not because of the mistakes EA made.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Blackfyre posted:

Speaking of silly niggly things, can you draw and holster your weapons in ME:A?

I remember watching my folding guns in ME1 and thinking "neato" and it added something for me that helped me feel a little bit more immersed? Then I remember playing the ME3 (demo I think) and going oh wheres the button to put my gun away. After googling and seeing there wasn't that option I was more disappointed than I should have been.

Just made it feel even more like a shooter as well as the poor 1/2 dialogue choices. When the ending debacle happened too I just wondered what went on with ME3.

Yes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Beefstew posted:

Before it was shuttled off into DLC the Normandy wreckage was where you were supposed to recruit Legion and presumably its combat was only cut due to time constraints in development leading to Legion's appearance being pushed back farther into the campaign.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Normandy crash site was free though, so it wasn't like when Javik got turned into Day DLC.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kavak posted:

The Normandy crash site was free though, so it wasn't like when Javik got turned into Day DLC.

I have a feeling it was still tied to the EA online pass bullshit which died a vomit infused public toilet death as fate intended in due time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Lt. Danger posted:

Mass Effect 3 is good. Play the Mass Effect game.

This

Me3 is good guys. It is a good game

The game is better than most games