Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Capn Beeb posted:

It'd be nice if you got renown and poo poo for standing in that spot and ~*holding the line*~ and all.

You get renown for holding A or C, and if you're holding B, you're getting renown for killing mooks.

A and C should be higher priority though for that reason and others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Like Spooky says, the gear stats are mostly fine. Someone with high Attack gear isn't hugely advantaged. It's a rather marginal effect. Revenge gain as a stat is the problem. It has to be gotten rid of altogether. Revenge Attack and Revenge Defense are fine as gear stats but Revenge gain is going to need to get replaced with something else entirely. It is toxic to gameplay.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 22, 2017

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

You get renown for holding A or C, and if you're holding B, you're getting renown for killing mooks.

A and C should be higher priority though for that reason and others.

Sure, but say you're holding off the enemy at B, you're no longer killing mooks. And you don't get defense renown for killing the heroes trying to push, so well poo poo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yah, the only issue I have with gear is the revenge thing

Once you become matched with a team of dudes with revenge-weighted gear everything starts to suck. It's not an exaggeration that they get revenge in 2 blocks either. This basically makes them immortal in 2v1 situations unless I loving run away or something which is super dumb in a gamemode like dominion

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Zzulu posted:

Once you become matched with a team of dudes with revenge-weighted gear everything starts to suck. It's not an exaggeration that they get revenge in 2 blocks either. This basically makes them immortal in 2v1 situations unless I loving run away or something which is super dumb in a gamemode like dominion

Yeah I have max level gear (I didn't even particularly aim to stat for maxed Revenge Gain) and I still casually get it pretty much instantly in 2 v 1 situations, and on 1 v 1s if it goes on for a little bit. I've run up against a few others with similar gear and it basically turns into a slapfight to see who can Environment kill the other guy first. It's seriously lame.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Nasgate posted:

Also, conqueror feels like almost a real class once you get the shield bash damage passive. Though so far I have to say, Shugoki is a straight up counter to him. The armor eats a shield bash, leaving you open, and his unblockables are faster than anything you have.

Nope, just use your charged power attack while blocking their attacks. If they go in for a charge, grab, or guard break you just slap them in the face for 1/3rd of their hp and then hop back. If they attack just block and let go of the power attack.

Don't bother trying to guard break or shield bash them, just beat them to death. Their attacks do nothing as long as you actually block them.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Zzulu posted:

I honestly don't have a problem with high end gear revenge. It's not like revenged people can't be parried or kited. I like it being dangerous, it turns 2v1 into a calculated decision. And skill always seems to win, earlier today I at level 88 carried three level 100+ in elimination against honestly bad opponents. The level 100s were getting wrecked by people without blue gear.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Evil Canadian posted:

I do gotta say with high level gear, it makes dominion basically utterly unfun to play. Prioritizing revenge you can get revenge in basically 2 blocked hits, over and over again. I can see myself just stopping playing Dominion entirely cause of this its super frustrating :(

Sad to say I agree, because I had a few days where I was really into Dominion.

Now I have purple gear. Purple boosts two stats at once. The forced min-maxing takes the fun out of it. My weapon is nearly maxed at attack, 2/3 maxed stamina reduction and non existent defense. If a second enemy brushes up against me, I explode into a revenge mode with maxed duration, defense and attack. Everyone else I meet seem to run something similar. Unless they're some poor sob on a new character with less than 10 gearscore. All the nuance goes right out the window. It's nuts.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 22, 2017

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
does counter guard breaking give revenge meter, because people playing for revenge mode in duel are both really dumb and really unfun to play against

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So what exactly are you supposed to do against the Warlord when they spam the headbutt+stab and you can't roll due to a lack of stamina?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Ok, gently caress the For Honor matchmaker. Its current state completely screws over solos. I'm sick and tired of getting matched game after game into an in-progress rounds where the opposing team is 600 points ahead and full of multiple prestige points and 50+ class levels while I'm only level 5. It's happened to me every single time I've queued for a 4v4 mode this week.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You can dodge the headbutt so step 1 is to not get headbutted until you run out of stamina

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Brackhar posted:

full of multiple prestige points and 50+ class levels while I'm only level 5. It's happened to me every single time I've queued for a 4v4 mode this week.

This happens to me as well but I win as many of those as I lose

Apart from revenge abuse, higher level people aren't really much better than lower level people most of the time

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Revenge gain and revive speed could use a little nerf, yeah. I imagine that the upcoming ranked modes might not use gear at all though.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I only ever play 1v1 and 2v2 myself as the matchmaking problems in 4v4 are fairly endemic, so I've been a bit saved from the brunt of revenge built players. I sort of treat the game as a pick up and drop fighter for a half hour to an hour at a time. Saves me a lot of frustration.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Det_no posted:

Revenge gain and revive speed could use a little nerf, yeah. I imagine that the upcoming ranked modes might not use gear at all though.

Ranked using gear would be one of the worst possible decisions they could make.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I thought the revenge thing seemed a bit broken, glad I'm not alone

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I honestly don't get why revenge even builds in 1v1s. The mechanic exists to punish gang ups but it can build up in a normal fight if someone is blocking a lot

Anyways, it always makes me laugh when people ragequit at literally the last second of a match.

Glad replacement bots can't spawn mid-execution.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
THey can if you're quick enough.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ok we just lost 3v1 against a Kensei because he constantly had his revenge up, even though we weren't all attacking at once and he wasn't blocking. loving stupid

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
goddammit I was just playing with the biggest rear end in a top hat and my laptop charger overheated and i was kicked for low FPS.

agh I really wanted to show him up too. Bitch was just trash talk trash talk trash talk.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

Internet Kraken posted:

I honestly don't get why revenge even builds in 1v1s. The mechanic exists to punish gang ups but it can build up in a normal fight if someone is blocking a lot

Anyways, it always makes me laugh when people ragequit at literally the last second of a match.

Glad replacement bots can't spawn mid-execution.

Yeah i had a guy in a game that kept running away every time someone got him low and when we caught him he just DCed.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Ok I'm just practicing against bots and how in gently caress do you avoid shoguki's demon ball

heh heh but no seriously I'm going to break something jfc I hate bots so much more than actual human opponents :negative:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Goku has to guard break you before he can demon ball you so get better at guard breaks i guess? I'm not sure if there is a way to consistently practice them against the bots though.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Whix posted:

Yeah i had a guy in a game that kept running away every time someone got him low and when we caught him he just DCed.
It's hilarious that so many people are still hard-quitting so as not to ruin their precious K/D's in 2017. :allears: Had one guy DC in midair after I flung him off a roof edge at the start of a match.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Goku has to guard break you before he can demon ball you so get better at guard breaks i guess? I'm not sure if there is a way to consistently practice them against the bots though.

You can do the basic tutorial (or was it the advanced one?) again where a segment is you just doing guardbreaks against one of the bots. It's the only way to get it consistent

Otherwise you can go up against a high level bot and just guard everything and wait for the GB to come. This is a bit more realistic because it's easy to counter GB when you know it's coming, it's a lot harder when it comes at inopportune moments

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I actually feel pretty decent in terms of countering guard breaks, thanks. I still hit up the level 3 bots to warm up my defense so that's not the issue. I was just asking if he gets the free demon ball after any successful guardbreak because goddamnn

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Was fighting against an AI Conq and managed to kill him, but I got my health taken down to 50% cause I figured I'd try to practice parrying against his heavy swings. The second I am about to kill him via execution, he pops away in a cloud of smoke and a brand spanking new Nobushi reappears a few feet from me. I think "Well poo poo" and go to fight and die cause I only had half my health.

Can't wait for that to be fixed, it's stupid as gently caress.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok we just lost 3v1 against a Kensei because he constantly had his revenge up, even though we weren't all attacking at once and he wasn't blocking. loving stupid

Just parry bro! Just parry! Nah j/k this is exactly how I work and I'm riding it until it's nerfed. It honestly needs to be changed because I cannot get 2 games in a row because everyone leaves.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I've resorted to just staring at the revenge abusers but even so, they still get revenge, proceed to murder my team in a couple of swings and then I gotta deal with it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I sigh as I unsheathe my katana

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Zzulu posted:

I've resorted to just staring at the revenge abusers but even so, they still get revenge, proceed to murder my team in a couple of swings and then I gotta deal with it

It doesn't help that some classes are better equipped to abuse it than others, too. I didn't know that raider zone attack did more damage in a combo until this thread mentioned it, but from that point on it was basically get revenge, back up a little bit to get everyone in my arc, and kill all of them in (enemies*2)+2 swings.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

signalnoise posted:

Just parry bro! Just parry! Nah j/k this is exactly how I work and I'm riding it until it's nerfed. It honestly needs to be changed because I cannot get 2 games in a row because everyone leaves.

But seriously, parry and grab. People get way too aggressive after they pop revenge. It just so happens that average players are lovely and panic when their opponent gets revenge. If he's targeting you just focus on defense so someone else can grab him on his recovery frames.

It's at the point where I'm not even worried when I see someone's revenge is ready. I just make sure I don't get knocked down and then it's no problem from there.

Basically I'm saying git gud unironically.

EDIT: I do totally agree that revenge gain is completely out of hand and extends the fight too much, but it's not a death sentence for you.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 22, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Maybe, we'll see how this game fares in a couple more weeks when people have managed to catch up in terms of gear. This kind of tactic is doable from Rep 1 just from having a few items, but we'll really just have to see how the game goes when some people are focusing on revenge and others are focusing on killing revenge abusers. Personally though, I don't give two shits about Throw Distance or whatever. Most items have a dump stat.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

panda clue posted:

There is an advanced tutorial video for every class built into the game.

Yeah, but there are a lot if interesting things missing. Nobushi video is the closest with all the cancels, but there's tons of other stuff that you wouldn't know until you see it in action. For instance, Kensei back throw stuns, other directions dont. Valkyrie light combos can stun if certain hits come from the side, since she uses her shield instead of spear for followup hits. Lots of little things like that, and that's just the more obvious ones I've been able to see since they inflict a visible status. I saw someone mention earlier that lawbringer can mix shoves into his attacks a lot more often then the moveset would indicate, for example.

I'd like to see writeups that actually cover those small but maybe important mechanics.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

God, Peacekeeper in 4v4 Elimination is the worst. Most players run at the start of the fight to pick up boosts and then either try and insta-kill you, or run away if you're better than them to go gank someone else. I'm Orochi and I can't even keep up with her run speed, despite the fact we're both the same Assassin type class?? It's kind of bullshit. If she decides to gently caress off, there's no one that can keep up with her.

I had her pick up both defense and attack boosts, and I realised I had no chance in killing her, so all I could do was let her get the occasional hit to think she could win, whilst playing defensively. Eventually my team came and we kicked the poo poo out of her.

But before that, she was running at start, picking up boosts, then ganking teammates all over the map.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That's me when I'm doing elimination dailies

I always inform everyone that there will be no honor this day

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Loopoo posted:

God, Peacekeeper in 4v4 Elimination is the worst. Most players run at the start of the fight to pick up boosts and then either try and insta-kill you, or run away if you're better than them to go gank someone else. I'm Orochi and I can't even keep up with her run speed, despite the fact we're both the same Assassin type class?? It's kind of bullshit. If she decides to gently caress off, there's no one that can keep up with her.

I had her pick up both defense and attack boosts, and I realised I had no chance in killing her, so all I could do was let her get the occasional hit to think she could win, whilst playing defensively. Eventually my team came and we kicked the poo poo out of her.

But before that, she was running at start, picking up boosts, then ganking teammates all over the map.

so you complaining about peacekeeper but play orochi

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

dominion being dependent on gear poo poo makes it that much more unappealing to play. I only play the game maybe a few hours a week so I'd never catch up to the level loving 80 shitsockers who have a screw loose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Loopoo posted:

be a raider and running powerslam her out of the powerup ring :black101:

really, just be a raider in 4v4.