Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Everything is a MMO now, sorry.
All console games are open-world/MMO RPGs, all PC games are base-building survival games. FOrever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I enjoy GTAV online for the stuff that doesn't require lobbies, is it fair to complain about the lovely matchmaking given the crazy userbase size?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ElwoodCuse posted:

I understand this, and have fun with GTA online but I hope the series hasn't permanently become an mmo.

GTA Online has made over $500 million in revenue. It's great for Take2 to have an ongoing service since the tend to lose money whenever they don't have a GTA or Red Dead game out for the year.

I expect a lot of upcoming games to experiment with MMO-lite features. FFXV will have an online avatar system patched in the future.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Picked up Nioh after watching some gameplay videos. Definitely looks fun and almost Onimusha-like, which I am down with. Now just have to finish the DL. :toot:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imagined posted:

Bloodborne like the other souls games is great for me to watch on Twitch but I'd never play it myself enough to justify buying it. Nioh is hard enough.

Nioh is just as hard as Bloodborne and bloodborne is a much better game. Not that Nioh is bad, Bloodborne is just the best.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Nioh is just as hard as Bloodborne and bloodborne is a much better game. Not that Nioh is bad, Bloodborne is just the best.

This is probably true. I dunno, Nioh just seems less inscrutable. Plus, again, the wife wanted it. Was the main reason she was onboard with getting the PS4 to begin with.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nioh definitely tells you more than bloodborne does. you don't really need that much information just to play it, but anything you might have trouble with is easily found on any one of the numerous wikis out there

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Imagined posted:

This is probably true. I dunno, Nioh just seems less inscrutable. Plus, again, the wife wanted it. Was the main reason she was onboard with getting the PS4 to begin with.

bloodborne has like one part that you could possibly get stuck at and the rest is nioh without a mission select

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I'm about 12 hours into Nioh and I'm loving every minute of it, but god drat can I not play it for longer than an hour at a time before needing a break. I don't know why either because I've beaten every Soulsborne game and I'd play those for a few hours at a time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ramagamma posted:

Last Guardian dropped through my letterbox at the weekend courtesy of boomerang rentals. Its a cool game and I'm enjoying my time with it but the camera and controls sometimes make me want to scream out loud.

Its the sort of experience you have to be in the mood for and if you are its cool to just walk round and digest but if you try to force yourself to play it gets frustrating fast.

Only maybe 5 hours in but yeah, neat game.

Mind that L1 is the 'look at Trico' button and you'll go far in life.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Imagined posted:

Don't fight with us, fucker! You buy what we tell you to!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm playing a lot more FF15 now and boy, having just finished MGS5 finally they seem so similar in the sense of having pretty good open world gameplay randomly punctuated by weird disjointed cutscenes seemingly strewn around at random.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rented For Honor and it's pretty drat fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

I guess I don't understand why this is ridiculous? I'm sure I'm missing some context.

before the 1.1 update your PS4 clock had to be at 3 PM - 4 PM, 6 PM to 7 PM, 9 PM to 10 PM, or 12 PM to 1 AM. And Yakisoba breads are very rare drops that you have to basically be a 1 HP remaining to get to drop in any significant amount, and even then you're more likely to get the lower tier health pickups. So it's basically just 'let the ai beat you down to 1 hp, kill 700 enemies in one specific area, try not to accidentally capture the area because that autokills all the enemies in it with no drops' and before the patch, do it at these very specific times or gently caress with your PS4 clock.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ElwoodCuse posted:

I understand this, and have fun with GTA online but I hope the series hasn't permanently become an mmo.

I personally wouldn't mind if the future of GTA was a more flexible storyline in a persistent online world with a character of your own creation. I think their storytelling has gone so far up their own asses that it would be a welcome change.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

before the 1.1 update your PS4 clock had to be at 3 PM - 4 PM, 6 PM to 7 PM, 9 PM to 10 PM, or 12 PM to 1 AM. And Yakisoba breads are very rare drops that you have to basically be a 1 HP remaining to get to drop in any significant amount, and even then you're more likely to get the lower tier health pickups. So it's basically just 'let the ai beat you down to 1 hp, kill 700 enemies in one specific area, try not to accidentally capture the area because that autokills all the enemies in it with no drops' and before the patch, do it at these very specific times or gently caress with your PS4 clock.

Because it's basically a Musou beatemup, 700 enemies is saner than it sounds right? Right?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
i am looking for a good online multiplayer game on ps4? anything people recommend? anything that is not a MMO.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

Because it's basically a Musou beatemup, 700 enemies is saner than it sounds right? Right?
it is, but the challenge is not accidentally killing the enemy commanders that'd lead to you capturing the zone

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Cyron posted:

i am looking for a good online multiplayer game on ps4? anything people recommend? anything that is not a MMO.

Rocket League, Titanfall 2, GTA 5, Overwatch, Far Cry (not sure about this one).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In terms of exclusives, I would say The Last of Us (but not Uncharted 4)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is it just me or is the new dualshock's battery a bit better?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seems about the same to me. I like the controller subtly better and I don't even know why though. It might just be because my old one was beat up but the buttons and sticks feel better to me.

So, does anyone actually play ARK? I know people hate early access stuff, but I didn't realize just how popular it is? Does anyone who has actually played it have an opinion?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Was the Shadow of the Beast reboot any good? I remember seeing trailers for it long time ago, but thought it had been cancelled. I never played the original, and the reviews for the reboot are all over the place. (USGamer gave it an 80, Gamespot gave it a 50, Polygon gave it 30).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Cyron posted:

For Honor unironically

Also yeah Titanfall, Overwatch, rocket league...

Resogun is fun too but probably hard to find lobbies

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After playing with my buddy for a few hours For Honor does seem like a good rec. it's a lot of fun. I feel like in the end it won't be worth a buy though. Maybe it will find a really devoted niche audience but the cap on when I'll get bored of it seems super low. I definetly enjoy Souls PVP more even though it's not even balanced .it's also attached to huge, really good SP content. I still think it's cool they are trying to do something sort of new and the execution is pretty good, but I don't feel like it has a lot of longevity. It's definetly neat though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The singleplayer in For Honor is basically a tutorial for the multiplayer right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

From what I have played, that is under selling it a bit but it's still pretty much glorified bot matches with cutscenes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I suppose it's a good intro to the game, I haven't done it. There is a bit of a learning curve of course and the tutorial is bare bones. There's a lot of small details that aren't really mentioned anywhere but you eventually might see a little tip or something.

You also get a handful of in game currency (steel) for doing the tutorial, advanced tutorial, and campaign.

It's definitely a physical game buy though, that's for sure. That said I've dumped like 30 hours+ into it and am not sick of it yet...

Though there's really only a handful of realistic game modes. So even new content down the line won't add much variety

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In mechanical terms, Bloodborne is much simpler than Nioh. Nioh has all kinds of crazy mechanics and interactions to worry about. Bloodborne is like, are you about to get hit? Hit the dodge button. Are you not about to get hit? Hit the attack button.

Nioh is like, oh, you are in the wrong stance to be effectice agaisnt this enemy. Oh this enemy is immune to that elemt. Yes there are 5 elements and 3(2?) additional non elemental effects. Giant skill trees with unclear meanings.

I mean, both games are really good. Nioh ends up being easier, because you can break the game so hard once you learn how many overlapping ways there to do that, but it's way more to take in than Bloodborne, and I think it's more punishing, if not technically harder.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Has anyone figured out any good ways to get PSN to accept your credit card? Normally I'd just buy prepaid cards, but I got a special Playstation credit card to get more reward points, so I'd like to be able to use it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Has anyone figured out any good ways to get PSN to accept your credit card? Normally I'd just buy prepaid cards, but I got a special Playstation credit card to get more reward points, so I'd like to be able to use it.

Check your adress in your account for accuracy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Max Wilco posted:

Was the Shadow of the Beast reboot any good? I remember seeing trailers for it long time ago, but thought it had been cancelled. I never played the original, and the reviews for the reboot are all over the place. (USGamer gave it an 80, Gamespot gave it a 50, Polygon gave it 30).

Nope, I played the original game you could unlock in it longer than the remake

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope, I played the original game you could unlock in it longer than the remake

But having the original as a bonus is worth buying the remake right?

Splatterhouse on 360 and Ps3 has the original games. :colbert:

Too bad we will never see a sequel, but I still have hope.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Holy lol Berserk Musou really is called Berserk and the Band of the Hawk in English. What were their meetings like where they decided that title?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Since everyone was working on Nioh, only Bob from accounting was left to work on Berserk.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Samurai Sanders posted:

Holy lol Berserk Musou really is called Berserk and the Band of the Hawk in English. What were their meetings like where they decided that title?

Quick clarification: Is it "Berserk and the Band of the Hawk"
or
"Berserk and the Band of the Hawk in English."

Because I don't put anything past them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

But having the original as a bonus is worth buying the remake right?

Splatterhouse on 360 and Ps3 has the original games. :colbert:

Too bad we will never see a sequel, but I still have hope.

The original game is pretty bad too I just have a lot of nostalgia for old Amiga Psygnosis stuff. Good soundtrack though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fix posted:

Quick clarification: Is it "Berserk and the Band of the Hawk"
or
"Berserk and the Band of the Hawk in English."

Because I don't put anything past them.

edit: for comparison

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That cover art is real shite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
PSN store and the PS+ page have been stuck on "please wait..." for two weeks and I'm getting pissed off. No error reports, and it persists no matter what.