Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

mango sentinel posted:

Those comparisons are apt in that a core mechanic is killing monsters and making equipment with their body, the setting is a world of a dying light and privation. I think broad comparisons in ideas are apt, but yes, not in execution. Also while Souls thankfully eschews sex in its body horror, it's still a game with Gwynevere and Queelag so don't put it on too high a pedestal.

A lady with big tits and a spider lady with big tits are a hell of a lot classier than Pregnant Woman With Weird Organic Tubes Attached To Gross Monster or Naked Woman In Chains or Crying Woman And Dick Monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

Meanwhile, Mantic isn't even trying. The fluff is Galactic Corporate Council of Corrupt Corps running human space with Crysis Space Marines and Astra USMCtarum as the military wing. Plucky Firefly rebels of various races oppose them, Literal Squats mine stuff, Boring Drone Eldar (Boring Protoss) have lovely minis and the Plague is mutant space zombies.

The Kings of War setting isn't too inspired either, but the 'fall from grace'-style ruination of the prelapsarian world is caused by a woman refusing to marry a guy, which I found pretty funny.

Also the best fan theory I heard is that the evil profit-above-all space corporation is GW

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Its :goonsay: all the way down.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

mango sentinel posted:

Those comparisons are apt in that a core mechanic is killing monsters and making equipment with their body, the setting is a world of a dying light and privation. I think broad comparisons in ideas are apt, but yes, not in execution. Also while Souls thankfully eschews sex in its body horror, it's still a game with Gwynevere and Queelag so don't put it on too high a pedestal.

Those are also two characters across four games and not half the player characters being girls with double G cup tits and hips that could birth a Buick wearing a few sheets of toilet paper.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM posted:

Those are also two characters across four games and not half the player characters being girls with double G cup tits and hips that could birth a Buick wearing a few sheets of toilet paper.

I didn't say it was indicative of the series or anywhere close to what KD does, just that Souls isn't flawless in tone or beyond it's own occasional lapses into dumb stuff.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm not super into "universes" any more. I play games for the mechanics. Not one of the games of Kings of War that I've played have had a thing to do with Mantica.

The way I see it, it you like a universe but don't like the game, take the universe to a better game. The Warpath and 40k races aren't exactly 1:1 like Kings of War is, but it's not tough to just point at a unit and say what it represents before the game starts.

"I'm using these Terminators as Forge Guard and all the tactical marines are steel warriors." etc

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I was initially drawn into 40k because of its aesthetics and I've honestly yet to find a wargame that has art that I like as much as or more than 40k's.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mango sentinel posted:

I didn't say it was indicative of the series or anywhere close to what KD does, just that Souls isn't flawless in tone or beyond it's own occasional lapses into dumb stuff.

There is a weird thing with sexy Spider-ladies though. It's in a lot of myths all over, from Greek to Asian. I think there were some even in Journey to the West.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

LordAba posted:

There is a weird thing with sexy Spider-ladies though. It's in a lot of myths all over, from Greek to Asian. I think there were some even in Journey to the West.

Seven sisters in fact! Might be an oblique reference in the Witch of Izalith and her six daughters.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm very much into game universes, as rules alone have a hard time convincing me to spend time and money on miniatures.

I am, however, firmly in the camp of "rules aren't sacred" and 40K can be ported to many other rulesets. It's not like Malifaux or Warmahordes where the rules and fluff are so tightly intertwined. Hell, other rulesets can probably represent Space Marines better than hams rules.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

JcDent posted:

I'm very much into game universes, as rules alone have a hard time convincing me to spend time and money on miniatures.

I think this is fair. But the way I see it, it matters way more for centerpiece units and characters than it does for rank and file. So the Mantic elves kind of suck, whatever. With a decent paint job and a hundred of them on the board, you're not really going to tell. They're recognizably elves and that's all that matters. But this unit of elite warriors? You bet your rear end I'm eBaying some old school GW High Elves for that. And for a character? Nothing beats the Lord of the Rings models.

As far as Warpath Universe stuff goes, it's a mixed bag. I really like the Enforcers and the Forge Fathers so I think that's a win-win for me, but the Asterians really aren't great, or at least the old stuff isn't. The new hard plastics are pretty cool so I'm happy that at least 24 of my models look decent. But I'll never touch the Plague. I'm so bored of zombies and it's not like Mantic really needed a knockoff Genestealer faction. It's the same garbage I've seen again and again in Halo and Half-Life. I almost wish the Warpath Universe really were more a straight-up sci-fantasy analog because that would make incorporating other miniature lines much easier.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
E: oops new page, nvm.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Len posted:

Oh yeah on paper it sounds like a super fun time.

But they need to remove the skeevy poo poo and lower the intro price. Make the core set bare bones but affordable and then all the extra stuff to flesh it out if you like it.

Stupidly the designer had that for sale at Gencon - $100 without miniatures, $400 with. Sold out of miniatures version, 2 sales of without. Crazily decided that this represented the entire market and said he wouldn't bother giving the option to people. Super expensive is the only way.

In other news, it has the great thing of bringing people into the miniatures hobby, so with the super detailed expensive models, absolute newbs painting. This all by one guy:

For every gorgeous Flower Knight, there's many awful first time painters, experiencing that it can be actually hard to do skin well.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

I am, however, firmly in the camp of "rules aren't sacred" and 40K can be ported to many other rulesets. It's not like Malifaux or Warmahordes where the rules and fluff are so tightly intertwined. Hell, other rulesets can probably represent Space Marines better than hams rules.
#

This is the approach I'm trying to take more and more.
The tricky part is finding suitable opponents in your local area willing to make the same transition.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Other than being weird, is there something I'm missing on the nightmare ram? It looks like a pretty cool nightmarish creature and I don't see any overt penises on it.

It was mostly the gratuitous rear end on show (thankfully without lovingly sculpted butthole or other parts), on an otherwise pretty nicely creepy mini. But yeah it is pretty cool outside of my minor bugbear. A number of the currently "available" monsters are actually fairly okay.
It's just a pity the rest of the lineup is, uh, not so great.

SRM posted:

Agreed, I actually like that one a lot. That angler fish babyhead thing from hell would be cool if it weren't for the lovingly sculpted taint, butthole, and other bits back there.

Pretty much my reaction - I'd probably break out the clippers and greenstuff for that reason, if I was hellbent on having the babyheaded elephant angler fish monster stomping around my tabletop and murdering dudes. Depending on relative scales of course.

Wazzu posted:

For every gorgeous Flower Knight, there's many awful first time painters, experiencing that it can be actually hard to do skin well.
Hi!
Although to be fair, I've learned a few good hacks for terrible painters like myself to make something vaguely passable now, after a year or so of re-learning how to paint minis, so I'm not really new any more, just awful.
It doesn't help that painting is my least favourite hobby past-time pretty much ever.
Or that I have a rather nasty painting "mountain" ahead of me because I refuse to deploy unpainted minis for longer than necessary any more, at anything less than whatever my current "best" (read: terrible terrible attempts) happens to be.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Joined Warhammer Proxies! FB group yesterday.

These used to be Imperial/Bauhaus troops:

The guy posted close ups and lovely scratchbuilt terrain, too.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Aside from the marble going down the rim of the bases, they don't look all that bad. Those beginner KD:M models look alright as well.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

JcDent posted:

These are pretty okay, nothing unspirational about these. Also the banners loving rule.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Yeah, they look cool. There's some clumsy greenstuff going on, but they're competently painted, and it's obvious a lot of effort and creativity went into them on both fronts, and it is super clear what they were going for, which is half the battle.

Pretty much every professional sculptor or artist started out with a lot of effort and not much clue what they were doing. With practice and sticking to it, that sort of thing starts turning into really stunning sculpting and conversion in not too much time.

Their paintjobs also do a really good job of covering up the clumsy GS.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

JcDent posted:

Quit posting stuff that is ok/good lol

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Maybe I should have posted the closeups, because I don't think they look OK.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

They're basically poster children for "thin your paints" but with those pictures, the banners still look okay, if cartoonish, and the faces are not as bad as they could be - the guy deserves kudos for the eyes.
It really captures the "help, help, I'm trapped inside this congealing mess, please rescue me" look, and the artist deserves some kudos for that at least.

Honestly though, this is where a lot of painters start off, so it really depends if this is being held up as a newbies early attempt, or someone more experienced who thinks they're really hot poo poo (if the latter, then obviously they aren't).

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

JcDent posted:

Metallics look a little goopy but you can still see detail so it might be the lovely lighting and camerawork. Those faces are really well detailed and the hand drawn sigils are a little squirrelly but there's so much and it's not a mess. These aren't golden demon winners or anything but they're ambitious and slow a lot of care and effort. Better than anything I could do if I tried to go off script from basic GW house style.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 22, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JcDent
May 13, 2013

He said that this is his latest project and it will be going to ebay, so...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

JcDent posted:

He said that this is his latest project and it will be going to ebay, so...

In that case lol

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

I just noticed, how come the female sculpts are all kinda bent over and the males all upright? Is it two torsos with head/arm options?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

gently caress YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Is that a tank... using another tank as an elevated turret gun???

That is either the dumbest thing imaginable, the 40k-est thing imaginable, or both.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Is this the way to win against TLOS and scatter terrain?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ugleb posted:

I just noticed, how come the female sculpts are all kinda bent over and the males all upright? Is it two torsos with head/arm options?

They're all unique sculpts, they just like cowering women

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

KV-2 is proud of new babby.

In case comrades not aware of glorious Soviet tank I make reference to:

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 22, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ugleb posted:

Thanks for bringing it up:

The person straight up bought 2 copies of a $400+ board game.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Oh man I seem to have ended up in the :krad: minis thread.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Where do you find the treasure trove of thin your paints KDM minis? I must see it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Chill la Chill posted:

Where do you find the treasure trove of semen painted KDM minis? I must see it.

Because you know it exists.

:negative:

:smithicide:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

SRM posted:

As much as I'd like to read a story about Dullard Krump, noted Bad Moon warboss who poo poo himself to death after building a wall to keep the grots out, I have a feeling that level of bite is gone from GW. While we won't see things like the Dark Angels being one big gay joke anymore, there are some drawbacks to GW being as corporate and controlled as it is with its IP.

Immortan Drumpf from Hasslefree

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Not a viking posted:

Not as good as the naked Harkonnen Trump

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not a viking posted:

:perfect:

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
For some reason, these came out really loving big, and I can't use normal forum coding for width or height to shrink them for whatever reason, so here they are in thumbnail format.
Again - 54mm.

E:
And on the subject of examples of some of my more terrible painting and modelling decisions (specifically everything on the left side, and also the spawn in the middle):

:v:

Although In fairness, I was a teenager when I did that stuff, so maybe it's excusable.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wazzu posted:

For every gorgeous Flower Knight, there's many awful first time painters
Flower knight samurai Nateaniel
Chosen leader of his settlement, and favored by the flower knight.