Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Drumlab is the tits too, it looks deceptively simple but sounds great and is eminently tweakable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
yo I sstill have a reaktor 6 komplete select crossgrade for sale at 50% holla at me

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I thought I saw this question asked recently but couldn't find it after looking through a couple pages. If I wanted to start teaching myself how to program a VST, where would be a good place to start? I don't have much development experience, other than a couple classes I took in college, but I do Business Analysis and Implementation of software so I have familiarity with reviewing and reading code and do write my own SQL statements for various tasks. Are there any sites that have a good guide as well as some relevant libraries so I have someplace to start from?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MrSargent posted:

I thought I saw this question asked recently but couldn't find it after looking through a couple pages. If I wanted to start teaching myself how to program a VST, where would be a good place to start? I don't have much development experience, other than a couple classes I took in college, but I do Business Analysis and Implementation of software so I have familiarity with reviewing and reading code and do write my own SQL statements for various tasks. Are there any sites that have a good guide as well as some relevant libraries so I have someplace to start from?

There are visual programming languages that are a good start for this kind of thing. PureData is open source and free, and a great way to learn the fundamentals of building effects and synths. That said I don't think there's an easy road to turning a Pd patch into a VST.

The most common recommendation that gets thrown around is JUCE, which is a C++ toolkit for developing audio apps and plugins. You'll need a solid grounding in C++ to go down that road, but it's a pretty common toolkit used among professional plugin designers.

If you have Reaktor, there's actually a huge community around all its synth building capabilities... but once again, not sure there is an easy (or any) road to creating standalone plugins in Reaktor.

There's also Flowstone (which I think now contains what was Synthmaker?) but I know nothing about it other than it was used to create a lot of the FL Studio plugins, and somehow is connected to FL Studio in general, besides being a standalone product.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
That information helps quite a bit dude, thanks a ton for responding. I think I will look into JUCE since C++ was one of the classes I took in college so it's not completely foreign to me. I understand that I will need to ramp up on it quite a bit but am prepared to fumble around and fail for a while.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Something like Reaktor or Max/MSP would at least be a good place to start. They will let you focus on learning how to design the synths or effects you want to build rather than having to learn the design and coding at the same time. Once you are ready to actually code a plugin they will still be useful for prototyping what you're going to build. Depending on why you want to make a VST, you may find you don't ever need to move beyond Reaktor or Max.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MrSargent posted:

I think it was me who asked, which led me down a path to take a serious look at Reaktor and Max/MSP. Check through my posts in this thread to see some of the replies, but what MockingQuantum said is pretty much the advice I got, which is to say, I was well-informed.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

To add to this, I do recommend the same as Rupert Buttermilk and Splinter: starting with a visual language can really help you wrap your head around the low-level DSP building that goes into making a synth or effect without fighting with code. I know for a fact that a few major plugin developers use something like Max/MSP to rough out the behavior of a plugin that they want, along with controllable parameters, then essentially recreate that in C++/JUCE. This is how SoundMorph has done all of their plugins and effects, and some of the early ones actually came with both Reaktor and Max patches when you bought them.

Also, for what it's worth, PureData is a kind-of-sort-of open source implementation of Max/MSP. It was originally almost exactly an open source version, made by the creator of Max, but the two have fairly heavily diverged in utility and philosophy since then. Both will do the job of giving you a good sketchpad for prototyping ideas, though. I find Max a lot easier to work in, for some reason, but it's not cheap, strictly speaking.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

When you reference Max, are you talking about Max for Live (Ableton)? I have Ableton Suite and got Max for free so that might be a good place to start for me to understand the DSP side of things.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 16, 2017

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Max/MSP is also a completely standalone environment and you can for instance build plugins with it that you could run standalone. Also, you get lower level access with Gen.

Max for Live is a restricted version that is compatible but runs only in Live and can only build Live devices.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Plugin Alliance is having a flash sale and have the SPL Attacker (mini version of their Transient Designer) up for only $9. Funny how just yesterday I was thinking about how I could use a Transient Designer. Link below!

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/...4-73485517&ct=t

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

MrSargent posted:

Plugin Alliance is having a flash sale and have the SPL Attacker (mini version of their Transient Designer) up for only $9. Funny how just yesterday I was thinking about how I could use a Transient Designer. Link below!

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/...4-73485517&ct=t

I want to bump this for people since this is the last day of the sale. I bought the SPL Attacker and am already having a ton of fun using it as a quick Transient Designer on everything from Kicks & Snares, to synth plucks to give them a bit more percussive feel. At only $9, this is a steal.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This thing is cool :

$9 is a steal. I think the one I (apparently) got in Komplete is a bit fuller-featured, however.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

well why not posted:

This thing is cool :

$9 is a steal. I think the one I (apparently) got in Komplete is a bit fuller-featured, however.

Super jealous you have Komplete and didn't realize it came with an attack shaper. But yah it seemed like $9 was a steal for this.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I bought it on sale, for Grandeur and a couple other bigger-ticket things. There's stuff like compressors, supercharger and transient stuff just hanging out on my computer, it's pretty fun to discover.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Replika is a fun delay

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I really like izotope DDLY but it's pretty hard to wrangle

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

wayfinder posted:

Replika is a fun delay

Yeah I really like the diffuse mode in particular, it just turns anything into a beautiful huge WHOOSH.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Re: Delays; AudioDamage DubStation is something special, dear to my heart. It apparently still exists and has 64 bit versions and everything. Now that I have disposable income, I should actually buy it.

I also recently downloaded BRB Grooove and while it has a somewhat obtuse interface for some of the functions, it actually has all of the features I've been looking for in a free drum sample player like forever. Like: trim front end of the sample. Layer two samples per note and fade from one to the other based on velocity. Fade in start of sample based on velocity. And same stuff for the end of the sample. Pretty basic stuff that a lot of drum samplers don't seem to bother with.

Perfect to complement my mostly synthesized drums.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

well why not posted:

I really like izotope DDLY but it's pretty hard to wrangle

It would benefit from having a handful presets I feel, some jumping off points. The GUI is a bit of an eyesore too. I won't bitch too much cos it was free but I don't find myself reaching for it as often as I would if it was a bit easier on the eyes to figure out what's going on- even a palette swap would help.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh recently I got both of UAD's tape echo plugins (Galaxy and EP-34) and those things are loving fabulous. Just unf.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I had that sad realisation today that I need I mean want another eq plugin because "reasons".

Goddamnit, me.

:negative:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I am an idiot and just happened to be checking out my Native Instruments account when I saw that I have a license for Kontakt Factory Selection. I installed and activated it and now have access to a library of instruments. I can't believe I missed this...but I am so excited I found it.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh recently I got both of UAD's tape echo plugins (Galaxy and EP-34) and those things are loving fabulous. Just unf.

I had the chance to experiment with the whole collection of UAD stuff. Seriously tempted to go into debt for that.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
I'm eyeing Arturia's V Collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN7MEcJVjLs

It's basically all I ever wanted. I have to have this thing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Weird BIAS posted:

I had the chance to experiment with the whole collection of UAD stuff. Seriously tempted to go into debt for that.

Yeah I basically only bought into it because I was downsizing from eight mediocre channels to two awesome ones. It is a hell of a drug, though, because now I keep buying these expensive-rear end plugins like I'm made out of money, and now I just got off the phone with Guitar Center where I was buying an Octo Core system so I could run more of these expensive-rear end plugins.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I basically only bought into it because I was downsizing from eight mediocre channels to two awesome ones. It is a hell of a drug, though, because now I keep buying these expensive-rear end plugins like I'm made out of money, and now I just got off the phone with Guitar Center where I was buying an Octo Core system so I could run more of these expensive-rear end plugins.

At least you do this for a living, I'm spending all this money just for me

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AARO posted:

I'm eyeing Arturia's V Collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN7MEcJVjLs

It's basically all I ever wanted. I have to have this thing.

Yeah so I have the small version, with just the SEM, Prophet, Mini, Jupiter etc.

The only one I don't go to regularly is the ARP because I just don't get it, but the others are all a integral part of my workflow.

I literally couldn't live without the Prophet now I have a whole bunch of custom patches that are production crutches.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

algebra testes posted:

Yeah so I have the small version, with just the SEM, Prophet, Mini, Jupiter etc.

The only one I don't go to regularly is the ARP because I just don't get it, but the others are all a integral part of my workflow.

I literally couldn't live without the Prophet now I have a whole bunch of custom patches that are production crutches.

Is it still possible to buy that small package? The collection altogether cost $500 and I mainly just want the prophet.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

NonzeroCircle posted:

It would benefit from having a handful presets I feel, some jumping off points. The GUI is a bit of an eyesore too. I won't bitch too much cos it was free but I don't find myself reaching for it as often as I would if it was a bit easier on the eyes to figure out what's going on- even a palette swap would help.

You're 100% right, but honestly I kinda love how lovely and busted it looks. When I think 'time to gently caress this sound up!' izotope is the brand I reach for. Presets would be great but most of the time I use it just by spinning the wheels wildly and seeing what happens.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

On the topic of tape delay emus, GS-201 got an update to 64-bit (at least Windows users did, not sure if Mac did or not) and it still sounds really good.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

At least you do this for a living, I'm spending all this money just for me

LOL no I don't, I'm a biologist. I make a bit of money here and there from music, but I don't think I even break even, given how much I've been spending on gear and software lately.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Re: Delays; AudioDamage DubStation is something special, dear to my heart. It apparently still exists and has 64 bit versions and everything. Now that I have disposable income, I should actually buy it.

$16 for this no-brainer....

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-dub-x

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I have the free precursor versions of this from TAL and they are much more civilized and well behaved than DubStation in a sense. DubStation excelled as a performance tool, perfectly mimicking some lovely old 70s pedal always on the edge of breaking up. Maybe that's all nostalgia speaking though. But DubStation's $40, which isn't nuts either, while feature-wise, the free Dub delays from TAL look really close to the paid one :shrug:

TAL is good good stuff though.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
For anyone who uses Izotope Breaktweaker I figured out a neat little trick with it that I wanna share cos its been bothering me for a while until I had a eureka moment last night.

You can layer up to 3 sounds on each of the 6 tracks, but what if you want to flick between 2 sounds on the same track? There's no velocity switching so that's out.

If you use a synced square lfo set to the same rate for both samples with restart turned off on the volume of each (with one of the lfos' phase set 180 degrees, or invert the volume handles on the sample) then you can get it to alternate which sound is heard. So you can in theory have both an open and a closed hi hat on the same track for that classic tickaTSStickaTSS dance pattern, or different tuned toms.

This might be blindingly obvious in hindsight but it's really opened the flexibility up for me now I can squeeze more out of one instance.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
TAL-Dub-X is really nice and made me curious, do you guys have any favorite/must-have $10-$50 VSTs or VSTIs? I've mostly ignored that range assuming they're probably not-that-great, but I'm probably missing a lot of good stuff.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Dude Valhalla

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Gaspy Conana posted:

TAL-Dub-X is really nice and made me curious, do you guys have any favorite/must-have $10-$50 VSTs or VSTIs? I've mostly ignored that range assuming they're probably not-that-great, but I'm probably missing a lot of good stuff.
Cthulhu arpeggiator for $39
Drumatic 4 drum synth for €29.99 + vat (whatever that ends up being in $)

Those are really must haves imo.

Surge at $99 is about on par with Massive, but cheaper and I like the layout more. Really my favorite unapologetically digital VA-type routed synth.
Superwave has some cheap stuff, including some cheap simple drum machine recreations (£5) and variants of their JP-8000 clones (£20-£15-£10). This is good stuff but not must have unless you're into trance. At the price it's good stuff to have if for nothing else but to browse through the presets looking for inspiration. Trance-Pro in particular is just a box of wonderful cliches.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

wayfinder posted:

Dude Valhalla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gaspy Conana posted:

MJUC

Like, I own a couple of Waves Compressors that I got on sale that are part of my work flow, but still this loving thing is amazing.

wayfinder posted:

Dude Valhalla

And this.