Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gloryhold It! posted:

If I recall correctly, he was added with his name on the title so more people would pay attention to Skylanders. Seems to have worked well enough.

Pretty much. It was originally Spyro's Skylanders when they first came out, wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

My favorite part of this is the cartoon hats they are wearing.

"How will the kids know you are wrappers without backwards hats!"
"Because we're... actual wrap artists?"
"...But how will the kids know-"

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm going to believe you think it's spelled "wrappers" because it makes me smile.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Section Z posted:

Also Mickey's sagging pants, although the belt should be braided.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hamsystem posted:

Also Mickey's sagging pants. Although the belt should be braided.

Sagging pants worn over his normal shorts.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I remember Weekend Update on SNL making fun of this (Norm Macdonald) and he said the album no longer contains the controversial song "Mouse Killer"

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I remember Weekend Update on SNL making fun of this (Norm Macdonald) and he said the album no longer contains the controversial song "Mouse Killer"

You mean Cat Killer

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Section Z posted:

Wrappers.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RCarr posted:

I'm going to believe you think it's spelled "wrappers" because it makes me smile.

Shrapnig posted:

Wrappers.

Looks like it turns out to be me. I'm the one they needed to draw backwards hats onto them for :downs:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That S thing reminds me of when I was in grade 12, a lot of the grade 10s that year had sXe written on their backpacks and stuff, and I had no idea what it was, I thought it was some crazy kids way of spelling Sexy, but apparently it was Straight Edge? Which makes me laugh because a bunch of 14 year olds saying "I'm not gonna smoke, drink or gently caress!" is hilarious. Unless in 1995/6 they were way more debauched than I thought.

I know that isn't a strictly 90s thing, but the sXe thing was only seen for a brief amount of time, and I associate it strongly with the late 90s.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I saw sXe well into 2006. It was ridiculous then and every straightedge kids I knew ended up doing more drugs than normal kids.
Then again some of them fell into that group because they didn't get invited to parties, anyway.

Wait, they were proto-incels!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ZDar Fan posted:

You mean Cat Killer

Oh yea,I'm an idiot

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I always thought straight edge was a punk subset, at least the straight edge dude I knew was a hardcore punk.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dreadwroth posted:

I always thought straight edge was a punk subset, at least the straight edge dude I knew was a hardcore punk.

That's what it emerged out of. It started as a response to the self-destructive excesses of a lot of punks.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Still stoked for Volume 2!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Too bad that game was terrible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how you can only see the designs on the blonds, the brunette is SOL.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I love how it says look "impressive", because even they knew how silly that thing is.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

That S thing reminds me of when I was in grade 12, a lot of the grade 10s that year had sXe written on their backpacks and stuff, and I had no idea what it was, I thought it was some crazy kids way of spelling Sexy, but apparently it was Straight Edge? Which makes me laugh because a bunch of 14 year olds saying "I'm not gonna smoke, drink or gently caress!" is hilarious. Unless in 1995/6 they were way more debauched than I thought.

I know that isn't a strictly 90s thing, but the sXe thing was only seen for a brief amount of time, and I associate it strongly with the late 90s.

There was so much drugs and nihilism going on the 90's that living clean and not being a shithead was actually an act of rebellion. You couldn't seem to turn around without some musician or another dying of an overdose. Rock musicians in particular were pretty well known for just doing absolutely all the drugs all the time. I also remember it being A Thing among teenagers to try to get as much alcohol as you could (any kind would do...any kind at all) and having drunken, insane parties out in the middle of the woods. Pot was everywhere and it seemed like every year there was another batch of kids getting expelled for dealing drugs at school.

There was also a violent punk side of sXe that caught on in some places. As in if you were under 18 and a bunch of sXe'rs saw you smoking they'd kick your rear end. They went for the hardcore, violent punk side of things but went against the sex and drugs of sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love how it says look "impressive", because even they knew how silly that thing is.

its a pun on impressions

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Going back to Sega, here's a really in depth look at how they basically hosed themselves badly in 1995 and ended up killing their console division:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZg9AgSWeyA

Long story short: They made the incredibly boneheaded decision to rush the Saturn to shelves with a price of $399 which let Sony eat their lunch.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OldTennisCourt posted:

Going back to Sega, here's a really in depth look at how they basically hosed themselves badly in 1995 and ended up killing their console division:

Long story short: They made the incredibly boneheaded decision to rush the Saturn to shelves with a price of $399 which let Sony eat their lunch.

Sega in the 90's was just a long string of hilariously terrible decisions. They never, ever learned despite finding out that all of those fancy, expensive Genesis add-ons sold like total rear end because, surprise surprise, people care about how much they spend on video games.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There was also a violent punk side of sXe that caught on in some places. As in if you were under 18 and a bunch of sXe'rs saw you smoking they'd kick your rear end. They went for the hardcore, violent punk side of things but went against the sex and drugs of sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll.
Don't forget the vegan ones who would beat the poo poo out of you for wearing leather.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sega in the 90's was just a long string of hilariously terrible decisions. They never, ever learned despite finding out that all of those fancy, expensive Genesis add-ons sold like total rear end because, surprise surprise, people care about how much they spend on video games.

Totally shutting down ALL support for the Genesis after the Saturn came out was a really loving stupid move as well.

Especially when you had the Sega Channel doing pretty well too. I'll give Sega one thing, Sega Channel was an awesome idea that really deserves more respect.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Feb 22, 2017

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Inzombiac posted:

I saw sXe well into 2006. It was ridiculous then and every straightedge kids I knew ended up doing more drugs than normal kids.
Then again some of them fell into that group because they didn't get invited to parties, anyway.

Wait, they were proto-incels!

The main Straightedge kid I knew in Seattle in the '90s (serious punk scene kid, hung out with MxPx, etc) ended up dating a cokehead girl who made a sole exception to her lesbianism just for him, got on coke and meth, got approved for a vasectomy in his late 20s due to a history of mental issues, had a bunch of friends killed at the Capitol Hill Massacre, ended up getting institutionalized for a while and got electroshock therapy, was homeless for a year, and last I heard had evened out in his late 30s and is working as a programmer.

So yeah, my main example of Straightedge didn't quite go right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OldTennisCourt posted:

"299".

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The mid 90s was a great time to be into video games. SNES and Genesis was still going strong, and you had the PS1/Saturn/N64 right on the horizon. I was a SNES kid, but I thought the new generation would be between PS1 and the Saturn, since the N64 was due to arrive later and it was using cartridges, when it was obvious to even my 15 year old rear end that cd-rom was the future. Sadly, I was wrong. Not that the N64 competed, because it really didn't, due to having probably less than ten good games, but PS1 dominating that much was unexpected.

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Jul 30, 2017

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

oh poo poo.

Like, what a terrible idea. Not only are you setting your price way too early, you also hosed over all the developers who had no time at all to get their games out on time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

whiteyfats posted:

The mid 90s was a great time to be into video games. SNES and Genesis was still going strong, and you had the PS1/Saturn/N64 right on the horizon. I was a SNES kid, but I though the new generation would be between PS1 and the Saturn, since the N64 was due to arrive later and it was using cartridges, when it was obvious to even my 15 year old rear end that cd-rom was the future. Sadly, I was wrong. Not that the N64 competed, because it really didn't, due to having probably less than ten good games, but PS1 dominating that much was unexpected.

I'm still trying to remember the name of this one game. I think it was a first-person sci-fi game on the N64 that had an emphasis on melee combat rather than just guns, and it had some pretty weird imagery. I never played it, but as a kid I had those huge guide books that were full of walkthroughs and tips for practically every game released on a particular console up to that point and it included pictures (as did the gaming magazines).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is so 90's it hurts the brain.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x496go_lost-in-space-end-titles_shortfilms

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

whiteyfats posted:

The mid 90s was a great time to be into video games. SNES and Genesis was still going strong, and you had the PS1/Saturn/N64 right on the horizon. I was a SNES kid, but I though the new generation would be between PS1 and the Saturn, since the N64 was due to arrive later and it was using cartridges, when it was obvious to even my 15 year old rear end that cd-rom was the future. Sadly, I was wrong. Not that the N64 competed, because it really didn't, due to having probably less than ten good games, but PS1 dominating that much was unexpected.

I remember my brother got a PS1 for his fourth birthday in 1998 (really an excuse for my dad to get it because it had Medal of Honour and he wanted to play that :D) and it came bundled with Heart of Darkness, V Rally 98, WWF War Zone and some Premier League game which was really bad.

What were the PS1's "killer apps"? I'm going to say Gran Turismo, FF7 and maaaaaaybe... Tomb Raider?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember my brother got a PS1 for his fourth birthday in 1998 (really an excuse for my dad to get it because it had Medal of Honour and he wanted to play that :D) and it came bundled with Heart of Darkness, V Rally 98, WWF War Zone and some Premier League game which was really bad.

What were the PS1's "killer apps"? I'm going to say Gran Turismo, FF7 and maaaaaaybe... Tomb Raider?

Hmmm. Metal Gear? Symphony of the Night?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Toshinden, Twisted Metal series, FF VII, Metal Gear Solid, a ton of quirky japanese RPG's, Bushido Blade series, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Tony Hawk, etc.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Battle Arena Toshinden was pretty popular the first year or so, from what I remember.

Also the generation Nintendo started consistently dropping the ball.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Definitely Metal Gear Solid. It was released a few years after the console but it was one of the first big story-based games, with tons of quality voice acting and long, detailed cutscenes. It was also the West's first introduction to Kojima's creativity mixed with crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Asking the Playstation's "killer app" is basically like asking about the NES or SNES, it had a truckload of games that basically defined the medium as a whole.