Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I've heard audio and seen vids of hypoxia before but it's still amazing how quickly it goes from slow, almost slurred and clearly impaired <insert 'everything is fine' cartoon here> to snappy, in control as soon as there's reasonable oxygen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

The case of Charles Becker, the only policeman ever executed for murder in the USA, is also a pretty interesting "trial of the century".

and it gets weirder from there

https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/100-years-after-a-murder-questions-about-a-police-officers-guilt/

Apparently some people doubt his guilt (not of the corruption, only of the murder). Interesting story.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
This isn't the thread's usual sort of "unnerving," but it's utterly heartbreaking. This guy takes only foster children who are in hospice care, because he knows no one else will take them.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-foster-father-sick-children-2017-story.html

quote:

The children were going to die.

Mohamed Bzeek knew that. But in his more than two decades as a foster father, he took them in anyway — the sickest of the sick in Los Angeles County’s sprawling foster care system.

He has buried about 10 children. Some died in his arms.

Now, Bzeek spends long days and sleepless nights caring for a bedridden 6-year-old foster girl with a rare brain defect. She’s blind and deaf. She has daily seizures. Her arms and legs are paralyzed.

quote:

“If anyone ever calls us and says, ‘This kid needs to go home on hospice,’ there’s only one name we think of,” said Melissa Testerman, a DCFS intake coordinator who finds placements for sick children. “He’s the only one that would take a child who would possibly not make it.”

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

pookel posted:

This isn't the thread's usual sort of "unnerving," but it's utterly heartbreaking. This guy takes only foster children who are in hospice care, because he knows no one else will take them.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-foster-father-sick-children-2017-story.html

I wonder if there's a German word meaning "simultaneously heartwarming and heartbreaking".
Who am I kidding of course there is.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pookel posted:

I read this over the weekend and it made me cry. Such a beautiful human being.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's something a little weird about someone that can do that. I'd be demoralized and emotionally tapped out for years after watching one kid die. Dude has more empathy than I will ever have in my entire life.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Stairs posted:

I wonder if there's a German word meaning "simultaneously heartwarming and heartbreaking".
Who am I kidding of course there is.

You could argue it could come under the heading of 'Weltschmerz' (i.e: world-pain; the bittersweetness of feeling what existence is truly capable of) if you're willing to be a bit poetic about it :smith:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

I know you prefaced it with saying it's not the threads usual type of unnerving but I seriously thought the article was going to be "person takes advantage of kids/the system somehow by fostering hospice orphans" and was cringing but I ended the article tearing up for a completely different reason.

Jesus

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

pookel posted:

Wow. Sad story but it's an immensely kind thing he is doing for these children.

No child deserves to die alone without someone there to care for them.

Mohamed Bzeek is a truly heroic man.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's something a little weird about someone that can do that. I'd be demoralized and emotionally tapped out for years after watching one kid die. Dude has more empathy than I will ever have in my entire life.

Like seriously, the system should be subsidizing the cost of any therapy this guys needs.

Lol who am I kidding?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That is an amazing person. I couldn't do that once much less multiple times and with total strangers too drat.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Jack Gladney posted:

Netflix just got a ton of Forensics Files episodes, and per the earlier discussion of the show here, my big take away is that most people who commit crimes are incredibly stupid.

I like the ones where it's like "30 years later, Gary told the police that the weekend his brother's wife disappeared he had helped his brother bury a large bag full or 'tractor parts' in the woods. He recalled that the bag was covered in 'red paint' and that his brother became agitated when he wanted to look inside of it".

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was either Forensic Files or Cold Case Files, where they busted a man like fifty or so years after he killed a cop as a teenager.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

whiteyfats posted:

It was either Forensic Files or Cold Case Files, where they busted a man like fifty or so years after he killed a cop as a teenager.

Gerald Mason?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

Gerald Mason?

I can't remember the name, but his wiki seems to be the one!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The first two seasons of Unsolved Mysteries are streaming on Amazon prime now

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Maraschino Cherries, the sweet and crunchy topping to a perfect sundae...

In the areas around the Dell Maraschino Cherries factory the bee keepers noticed that instead of harvesting delicious golden honey the bees were only producing red slime.

It turns out the bees were visiting the maraschino cherry and filling up on high-fructose corn syrup and dye run off before flying home.

"The Mystery of the Red Bees of Red Hook"
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/nyregion/30bigcity.html

Then it gets weird, investigators go in to check the factory, and instead find huge underground pot growing factory under the maraschino cherry factory. After they tell the CEO they are going to get a search warrant, he says, "I have to go to the bathroom," and shoots himself in the head.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/nyregion/the-fall-of-the-cherry-king.html?_r=0

This wasn't a little cherry farm, this was a billion cherry a year business opened in 1948. Like, one of the biggest suppliers of maraschino cherries in country, supplying places like Olive Garden, TGI Fridays, Steak ’n Shake, and Chick-fil-A.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

In the areas around the Dell Maraschino Cherries factory the bee keepers noticed that instead of harvesting delicious golden honey the bees were only producing red slime.

It turns out the bees were visiting the maraschino cherry and filling up on high-fructose corn syrup and dye run off before flying home.

Then it gets weird, investigators go in to check the factory, and instead find huge underground pot growing factory under the maraschino cherry factory. After they tell the CEO they are going to get a search warrant, he says, "I have to go to the bathroom," and shoots himself in the head.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/nyregion/the-fall-of-the-cherry-king.html?_r=0

This wasn't a little cherry farm, this was a billion cherry a year business opened in 1948. Like, one of the biggest suppliers of maraschino cherries in country, supplying places like Olive Garden, TGI Fridays, Steak ’n Shake, and Chick-fil-A.

I can't wait for the Coen Brothers adaptation of this series of events

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

A quick death is probably preferable to time in an American prison. That poo poo is unconscionable.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chard posted:

A quick death is probably preferable to time in an American prison. That poo poo is unconscionable.

:agreed:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

The polluting bees is hosed up but it's sad the dude's downfall and suicide was over something so harmless
No one should have to excuse themselves to blow their brains out because they created a huge underground pot growing factory, that deserves a medal
Guess that's just (the lame parts of) America for ya

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The polluting bees is hosed up but it's sad the dude's downfall and suicide was over something so harmless
No one should have to excuse themselves to blow their brains out because they created a huge underground pot growing factory, that deserves a medal
Guess that's just (the lame parts of) America for ya

Also if that guy was actually making millions or whatever then lol at the idea that he'd even see a jail cell

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Also if that guy was actually making millions or whatever then lol at the idea that he'd even see a jail cell

Except he was making it selling drugs that are not proscribed by doctors. See if something is super addictive and get you high as gently caress, it's illegal unless you get a doctor to say you need it for your gammy back. It makes it all okay.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Tehdas posted:

Except he was making it selling drugs that are not proscribed by doctors. See if something is super addictive and get you high as gently caress, it's illegal unless you get a doctor to say you need it for your gammy back. It makes it all okay.

Maraschino cherries are delicious and addictive, but I wouldn't call them drugs, friend.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I guess I should have added that people think he killed himself before the mafia got the chance to.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Chemical warfare is always a fun topic; I was in the initial invasion of Iraq, and few things freaked us out more than the possibility that Saddam was going to dump a bunch of nerve gas on us. Had to deal with a lot of lovely false alarms where I'm stuck wearing a mask for hours, and wearing what's basically a charcoal-filled snowsuit in the middle of the goddam Sahara since we all had to be constantly prepped for gas attacks.

In 1854 Lyon Playfair, British Secretary of Science and Art, proposed using cyanide artillery shells in the Crimean War, and was pretty put out when people thought it was a monstrous idea:

quote:

There was no sense in this objection. It is considered a legitimate mode of warfare to fill shells with molten metal which scatters among the enemy, and produced the most frightful modes of death. Why a poisonous vapor which would kill men without suffering is to be considered illegitimate warfare is incomprehensible. War is destruction, and the more destructive it can be made with the least suffering the sooner will be ended that barbarous method of protecting national rights. No doubt in time chemistry will be used to lessen the suffering of combatants, and even of criminals condemned to death.

Basically he's all "so shooting them with bullets, stabbing them with bayonets, that's all cool, but I want them to just die in their sleep and I'm a monster?"

EDIT: Here's some old-school "disruptive American tech"

quote:

A general concern over the use of poison gas manifested itself in 1899 at the Hague Conference with a proposal prohibiting shells filled with asphyxiating gas. The proposal was passed, despite a single dissenting vote from the United States. The American representative, Navy Captain Alfred Thayer Mahan, justified voting against the measure on the grounds that "the inventiveness of Americans should not be restricted in the development of new weapons."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mahan had a point.

He had already created the most toxic weapon ever to strike America’s enemies, though it wouldn’t be recognised as such till about fifty years later.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
That attitude of "we need to come up with the most destructive weapons possible because then people won't want to go to war and if they do the war will be short" was really common back then, and stayed common all the way up until several nations each had weapons capable of ending life on Earth and war still didn't stop. I'm sure there's still people who hold it, too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A Pinball Wizard posted:

That attitude of "we need to come up with the most destructive weapons possible because then people won't want to go to war and if they do the war will be short" was really common back then, and stayed common all the way up until several nations each had weapons capable of ending life on Earth and war still didn't stop. I'm sure there's still people who hold it, too.

Well, technically speaking, the nukes did stop the war between the US and Japan from continuing and being several times worse for both sides, and it kept the Cold War from going hot(er, ignoring the proxies).

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Chemical warfare is always a fun topic; I was in the initial invasion of Iraq, and few things freaked us out more than the possibility that Saddam was going to dump a bunch of nerve gas on us. Had to deal with a lot of lovely false alarms where I'm stuck wearing a mask for hours, and wearing what's basically a charcoal-filled snowsuit in the middle of the goddam Sahara since we all had to be constantly prepped for gas attacks.

In 1854 Lyon Playfair, British Secretary of Science and Art, proposed using cyanide artillery shells in the Crimean War, and was pretty put out when people thought it was a monstrous idea:

Basically he's all "so shooting them with bullets, stabbing them with bayonets, that's all cool, but I want them to just die in their sleep and I'm a monster?"

Sounds like he really should have been called, "Lyon Playunfair"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

poopy pee pee posted:

Sounds like he really should have been called, "Lyon Playunfair"

:golfclap:

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

WickedHate posted:

Well, technically speaking, the nukes did stop the war between the US and Japan from continuing and being several times worse for both sides, and it kept the Cold War from going hot(er, ignoring the proxies).

Isn't it true that all Purple Hearts awarded since WWII were made in anticipation with continuing war with Japan, which stopped because of the bomb? Do they make new Purple Hearts anymore or are they still left over from seventy plus years ago?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bean_shadow posted:

Isn't it true that all Purple Hearts awarded since WWII were made in anticipation with continuing war with Japan, which stopped because of the bomb? Do they make new Purple Hearts anymore or are they still left over from seventy plus years ago?

More were manufactured in 2000, but at that time the Operation Downfall stockpile stood at one hundred and twenty thousand.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Syrian and Arabian Deserts, actually!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I guess I should have added that people think he killed himself before the mafia got the chance to.
To a certain degree that's true for everybody who's ever committed suicide though

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

1000 umbrellas posted:

What's up plane crash enthusiasts. Haven't seen this posted in a while (or maybe at all), and there's some great contemporary media to accompany it.

Eastern Airlines Flight 980

The short story is that in 1985, an Eastern Airlines flight that was scheduled on a regular run from Paraguay to Bolivia to Ecuador to Miami, FL ran into the side of a mountain 25 miles off course of landing in La Paz. It is the highest altitude plane crash in the history of aviation. It is also one of the only commercial flights to have crashed on land and not have had its "black box" recorder recovered. You can check out the wiki if you want, but it's pretty low key:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Air_Lines_Flight_980

What isn't mentioned in the above article are the multiple botched attempts at recovery made during the investigation. The first one, a few days after the crash, was a single mountaineer hired by the government to hike up to the crash site. He didn't even pack a camera, and he refused to speak to anyone about what he saw when he returned. It only gets weirder when the second investigation team, sent ten months later by the NTSB, reported that they didn't find any bodies. They did find hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of contraband snake and crocodile skins that someone was smuggling to Miami. There may have been a duffel bag full of cash on the plane, too. A U.S. ambassador's wife was among the passengers. But the following investigations seemed to sputter and dry up quietly with no explanation as to how the plane crashed, what happened to the bodies of its passengers, and no flight recorder ever recovered.

Without spoiling any of what happened this year, 30 years after the original crash, I'll direct you to this fantastic three-part podcast series by Outside magazine. If you have an hour and a half to sit and listen, it's one of the better (and more unnerving!) investigative stories that I've heard recently.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2127156/ep-07-cliffhanger-part-1
https://www.outsideonline.com/2131461/ep-08-cliffhanger-part-2
https://www.outsideonline.com/2136701/ep-09-cliffhanger-part-3

True to its title, it is ultimately a cliffhanger. But there is still plenty of suspense, and most of the intrigue that I've already played up gets resolved.

FWIW, the whole "Science of Survival" series that they do counts as unnerving and fascinating; I wish they were a little more regular with their output.
BBC just put up an article on this, with a recent update from the NTSB. The short-term conclusion to the cliffhanger ended up being a little underwhelming:

quote:

Futrell and Stoner had not found the cockpit flight recorder, it said, but rather the rack that had fixed it on to the plane - and the promising spool of tape turned out to be "an 18-minute recording of the 'Trial by Treehouse' episode of the television series 'I Spy', dubbed in Spanish."

"Needless to say, we're disappointed," Futrell wrote on his blog.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Even in the 1850s it must have been known that cyanide is far from humane. At best you're looking at panic followed by convulsions, then unconsciousness and death.

In that particular case I'd argue a bullet or shrapnel is the less savage way to cause death.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
More plane stuff - Experienced pilot in Melbourne plane crash under investigation for previous incident

Yesterday in Melbourne a chartered flight crashed into a shopping center next to a major highway, killing the pilot and the four Americans on board. A tragic accident. However new evidence unveiled by the fourth estate today:

Linked news.com.au article posted:

Mr Quartermain has been remembered as a “fine pilot”, but he was involved in a “close shave” less than two years ago.
After the near-miss Mr Quartermain passed safety checks required by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).
On September 3, 2015, Mr Quartermain was the pilot of one of two charter planes carrying a total of 18 people that flew frightening close to each other in bad weather at Mt Hotham.
The two Beechcraft B200 King Airs from separate firms were ferrying Audi customers to an exclusive snow-driving event, from Essendon Airport and from Bankstown Airport in western Sydney, the Herald Sun reported at the time.
Near the destination, Mr Quartermain’s plane from Essendon came as close as 90m vertically and 1.8km horizontally to the Sydney plane. It landed on the runway in the wrong direction, in heavy cloud and poor conditions.

He was tested and cleared to fly again after this incident.

That linked article has a lot of footage of the plane going down and the DFO burning in the aftermath. AvGas burns like a motherfucker, don't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Personally I think it's a little lovely that some media organisations have focussed on the "close shave" thing so much. I mean firstly, he had to undertake three separate assessments after to prove his competency after the incident (all of which he passed, the latest in October) and it sounds like the "close shave" was in pretty dire conditions, rather than a sunny clear day where everything was hunky dory. In any case, they're currently saying the plane suffered a catastrophic double engine failure, which sounds like a mechanical fault to me. I mean of course examine the pilot and his record, but it feels to me like some media organisations are actively looking to make it his fault before any evidence of it actually being so is out. (This isn't an attack on you, paramecium, more a criticism of how the media reports on accidents.)