Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
technically so did you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

my dad posted:

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

*phone rings*

General Lyautey, the German forces are confirmed to have a substantially stronger presence than expected. We require reinforcements. What are their numbers, and how soon can they arrive?

The General gives you a long lecture about the shortcomings of the older reservists. You wait patiently.

You wait a long time.

He then launches into an equally long woe-is-me tale of how there's trouble everywhere, and significant reinforcements have already been committed to other corps, but eventually admits that there is one green Reserve brigade close by which can be committed immediately and another which will arrive "before nightfall", although he is unable to give specifics on that just now.

Before transferring you to his chief of staff to make the arrangements, he also says "and the Englishman, Field Marshal French - what a name, pah! - has apparently sent one of his Veteran brigades in the direction of Quatreprouts, which he says in his horrific mangling of our language should arrive in about three hours, either that or he requires multiple ladies of the night, and a liaison officer is on his way to you now."

The green brigade will march onto the map on Turn 14 at any location shaded blue in your telephone map. It requires a commander and must be assigned to a divisional HQ. Would you like it to be artillery-focused, infantry-focused, or cavalry?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
ARTILLERY

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

my dad posted:

A little housekeeping, here are the end of turn screenshots for turns 9,11,12,13. 10 is missing for some reason.

I suggest opening them full in separate tabs and switching between them to get an idea of exactly what the German force did.

I don't think this looks like a flanking attempt on the western side, there's not enough forces for that. It looks like pretty solid confirmation that they've got an objective in the south-western side that they tried to sneak a force into, and it's important enough that they stripped them from the defence of St Croissant. If it weren't for our cavalry being on that hill, they would have been able to sneak into Quatreprouts unseen.

Between this and the incoming reinforcements, I believe it to be pretty important to at least scout Quatreprouts to make sure it is free of any other infiltrators.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I hope everyone reading this realizes that we can deploy a brigade at Haltebruit.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

yeah, i wanted it a baguende but the general said no

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Thank goodness.

If no one else is waiting to accept command in this thread or elsewhere, and if he would like to, it would be nice for Tehan to lead the Reservist force, as he was the first to be removed from the battle.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I would be honoured to once more lead troops to a glorious death in battle.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

How certain are we of the German objective? It seems like with the BEF arriving in the SW corner, the reserves are very much free to sweep in as general mon Pere suggests.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

my dad posted:

I hope everyone reading this realizes that we can deploy a brigade at Haltebruit.

Excellent - let's have the BEF hit 'em on the flank.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

lenoon posted:

How certain are we of the German objective? It seems like with the BEF arriving in the SW corner, the reserves are very much free to sweep in as general mon Pere suggests.

nothing is certain, but their line of advance suggested it. also the bicycle brigade is heading that way.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

If the BEF is about to arrive in what they no doubt call Quarterpoos, then any boche bicycles headed that way are about to get un reveil brutal du anglais

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

if they survive contact with 6e, which seems unlikely.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

thatbastardken posted:

if they survive contact with 6e, which seems unlikely.

I will hopefully shred them before they are faced with the indignity of being doused in what I understand is the "crème anglaise". I fear that St Croissant will be filled with wurst and doused with it though. Sounds like an American breakfast sandwich. God truly is dead.

But I will have my revenge against the perfidious bicycle boche.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Those bicycle troops are dead men walking cycling with a turn to live or less. I hope they cycle directly into a grave, pinned beneath the spokes and gears of their infernal mangled machines.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call them men :colbert:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Much like how we dealt with the English Longbows, I believe that any cyclist captured by our forces has to have enough fingers removed from both hands so that they can never use handlebars ever again.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Huzzah, three cheers for the British! As far as deploying them at Haltebruite is concerned, while I have no objection to "blooding the lads" by sending them unsupported against two entrenched German brigades, don't you think we should provide them with a little artillery support? If they come from the south, they can link up with the 97th and advance under the cover of the guns of Clemencau.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

*phone rings*

General Lyautey, please inform brigadier Tehan le Second of the artillery reserve that he is to be under the command of General Bacarrette of the 22nd Division, and is to deploy at the NW edge of our deployment zone. I request to be provided with detailed information on their numbers and formation, I'm sure your staff can provide it in time.

Hunt11 posted:

Much like how we dealt with the English Longbows, I believe that any cyclist captured by our forces has to have enough fingers removed from both hands so that they can never use handlebars ever again.

Let us not sully the good name of France in these dark times.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

sullat posted:

Huzzah, three cheers for the British! As far as deploying them at Haltebruite is concerned, while I have no objection to "blooding the lads" by sending them unsupported against two entrenched German brigades, don't you think we should provide them with a little artillery support? If they come from the south, they can link up with the 97th and advance under the cover of the guns of Clemencau.

There are tactical options that aren't "run face first into the enemy bullets"

Being a passive-aggressive dick who shows up out of nowhere and presents both a threat that can't be ignored, and cover for later exploitation of this gap, for example.

my dad fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 22, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So, we thinking reserve brigade ar Haltebrut, reserve brigade at Clemencau, and BEF brigade at Quatreprouts?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

So, we thinking reserve brigade ar Haltebrut, reserve brigade at Clemencau, and BEF brigade at Quatreprouts?

My goal is not to grind down the Germans in a battle of attrition. It is to seize the main objective and drive them from the field.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

My goal is not to grind down the Germans in a battle of attrition. It is to seize the main objective and drive them from the field.

Well, whatever we do, we're going to lose a lot of men. Keep in mind we no longer have eyes on the arty that used to be at ferme de confit; they are probably being lugged up to hit the eastern flank, but the could also be on the hill overlooking the bois de goonville soon as well.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am sure there are more elegant ways to do it, but I feel 97 should slowly be making their way towards the objective and only stop moving to drive off the boche.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You are all hereby invited to Roll20 to discuss Operation Guillotine.

Though, by all means, feel free to post your thoughts here.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Softly wafting over the hill comes:

Excuse me sarge, why does the left'nunt keep orn callin it Catre-paus whennits obviously quarterpoos

You orrible little man, the lieutenant says Catre-paus because he his han heducated hofficer! Eee can speak the Kings English whereas hyou don't know breakfast from yer bloody harsehole private! and which hofficer gave yoo permission to open yoor bloody trap?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The new brigade is a green brigade with one machine-gun, one brigade commander, eight infantry companies, and three 75mm batteries. These batteries are not the 75mm batteries which absconded from Clemenceau, which you can expect to return at some point in the next update.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Trin Tragula posted:

The new brigade is a green brigade with one machine-gun, one brigade commander, eight infantry companies, and three 75mm batteries. These batteries are not the 75mm batteries which absconded from Clemenceau, which you can expect to return at some point in the next update.

And my 155s? :ohdear:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Rules question for Trin: Can artillery shoot enemy chits that they do not personally spot?

So in this photo, can both artillery chits shoot at that non-firing infantry? The one on the hill is able to spot the infantry on its own, while the one in the field is 15" away and so is too far from stationary infantry to spot it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

They both spot it. They would also both spot it if they were on the lower level and a friendly infantry chit advanced to within spotting range. I'm sure there are some situations where I'd go "actually they're in different brigades and not in touch enough for the lower chit to know that's there", but for the most part, they'll both spot it.

Just be wary of extrapolating this one situation to wider circumstances, because like I say, I can think of situations where I'd be minded to rule "no, on this critical turn, this gun sees it, this gun doesn't".

Loel posted:

And my 155s? :ohdear:

every time someone mentions them I roll D6 and add it to the number of turns remaining before they get back :ssh:

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 22, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:aaaaa:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Do come to roll20 when you're able to, Loel. :)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Eta 6 hours, the bastards wont pay me if I dont come to work :argh:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

Oh, right, time zones. whoops. :shobon:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I will ask here though: are the reinforcements coming on map in battle formation? And how many turns from now are we expecting each brigade?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

I know, right? I will be on in 7-8 hours. But I don't think I need to issue any orders this phase. Either they charge me and we go down firing, or they don't and the 53rd moves up to support me in time.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

I will ask here though: are the reinforcements coming on map in battle formation? And how many turns from now are we expecting each brigade?

I think they one coming now will be in battle formation since they're not on a road. They'll arrive next turn. A BEF brigade is due in 3 hours (6 turns), and the other reserve will arrive at an unknown time but before the evening.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I am sneakily hoping for a BEF cavalry brigade because having the life guards come in swords drawn would be the most incredibly 1914 thing in a battle that's already featured all the hallmarks of early ww1

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

I think they one coming now will be in battle formation since they're not on a road. They'll arrive next turn. A BEF brigade is due in 3 hours (6 turns), and the other reserve will arrive at an unknown time but before the evening.

Okay. Can we get a pic of our disposition in one turn, assuming current orders go through and reinforcements arrive where we expect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

Okay. Can we get a pic of our disposition in one turn, assuming current orders go through and reinforcements arrive where we expect?

Hm... Not quite what you wanted, but here's my sketch of the western half of the plan:

The red arrows above Haltebruit represent where I want our first reinforcements to go, with the first arrow ending where I expect them to be in one turn.

• Locked thread