Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pendent posted:

The welf campaign was way more fun when it was first released and really loving hard. They definitely went too far in the other direction.
Nah, I just think that nobody immediately caught on to the absurdity of those red buffs applying to everything and at such insane numbers. The changes to their skirmishers and ranged units or whatever those buffs mostly were didn't change their campaign strategy that much, I thought. I could easily be misremembering though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

lilspooky posted:

This is all End Times bullshittery, which any real Warhammer fan would know is complete garbage and truly non-canonical. It, along with all the other End Times stupidity, is essentially the ravings of a terminal patient on hospice care.

I think it would have been better for GW if they had just made it so the setting was always in stasis, but with the campaigns for their tabletop being their own vignettes. That way Storm of Chaos could have been a rousing success for the good guys, like it was in the worldwide campaign, and then everything could go back to being poo poo. Plus they wouldn't have had to have given any lip service to the idea of advancing the metaplot. All the poo poo in the End Times could have been their own campaigns instead of a quick summary for new army rules.

But since Games Workshop lucked into nerd gold all those years ago and are entirely insensate from inhaling their farts for 30 years we instead get Age of Sigmar. Least they set the IP loose and we got some good videogames out of the equation, cause there sure won't be a AoS one!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well, you can't copyright wood elves. But sylvawhatever, that you can put a little r on.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 22, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Well, you can't copyright wood elves. But sylvawhatever, that you can put a little r on.

Yeah that's why orcs are now "Orrucs" but Skaven are still Skaven.

lilspooky posted:

I'm thinking they'd really have to. I don't know if you'd NEED the Man O' War license to use the ships from the lore. Hell just last night I noticed that when the dwarves embark an army it's the little Nautilus sub from Man O' War :kiddo:.

No naval battles with them adding Ulthuan, Naggaroth, and Lustria would be pretty stupid. Just would be curious what kind of vessels they'd give to races that never really had much described for them like the Undead.

Undead shouldn't use boats - they should just walk along the bottom.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 22, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How come a checkerboard deployment can be so amazing in campaign but I never see it used in multiplayer? I just see the missiles in a parallel line behind the unbroken solid line of melee. Is there some glaring weakness to it that the AI doesnt know how to exploit?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

theDOWmustflow posted:

In comparison, the dwarf equivalent gives bonuses to... miners and warriors only. Units that quickly go obsolete in the mid and late game. And these units have abysmal attack and defense.

There's another dwarven skills that buffs Longbeards and Ironbreakers (!).

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Dwarven warriors are great all the time, nothing about cheap tanky units to hold the line goes obsolete.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ammanas posted:

I think it's two things, one the overall inflation of new lords and stats as they get released and two someone really likes welves at CA. That or they were intended to be passive and defensive only but never got around to programming that aspect of the campaign AI.

~true to the source material~ in that new codexes p much always stomped older ones (no firsthand experience, I couldn't afford Warhams)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fauxtool posted:

How come a checkerboard deployment can be so amazing in campaign but I never see it used in multiplayer? I just see the missiles in a parallel line behind the unbroken solid line of melee. Is there some glaring weakness to it that the AI doesnt know how to exploit?

Yeah, the main problem is that it's very inflexible. If I see the enemy with such a formation I'd just flank the whole lot. Good luck reorganizing that thing to face me without pause.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Fangz posted:

Yeah, the main problem is that it's very inflexible. If I see the enemy with such a formation I'd just flank the whole lot. Good luck reorganizing that thing to face me without pause.

Also one of the things that makes it effective in singleplayer is that the AI isn't great at charging small units - such as heroes or lords - through the gaps in the front line to tie up the ranged units. A player could do that easily.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Ammanas posted:

I think it's two things, one the overall inflation of new lords and stats as they get released and two someone really likes welves at CA. That or they were intended to be passive and defensive only but never got around to programming that aspect of the campaign AI.

After launch wood elves got buffed into the sky because a bunch of morons on steam/Total war forums were furious that they had paid 20 quid for a glass cannon faction that they couldn't use effectively. It was a panic response on the developers behalf imo. They already get enough poo poo about DLC on steam reviews and so forth. Wood Elves are broken, which is why by turn 150 they end up covering half the map.

The make them defensive mod is solid though and befitting their lore. Though some kind of wild hunt event with wood elves sallying forth out of the forests would have been good.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Southpaugh posted:

After launch wood elves got buffed into the sky because a bunch of morons on steam/Total war forums were furious that they had paid 20 quid for a glass cannon faction that they couldn't use effectively. It was a panic response on the developers behalf imo. They already get enough poo poo about DLC on steam reviews and so forth. Wood Elves are broken, which is why by turn 150 they end up covering half the map.

The make them defensive mod is solid though and befitting their lore. Though some kind of wild hunt event with wood elves sallying forth out of the forests would have been good.

Such an event removing the 'defensive' AI attribute and then having it reinstate 20 turns later might work.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Southpaugh posted:

Yeah, I played on release and while it forced me to take a different approach they were pretty effective and fun to play with, even if some units were a bit underpowered, but they really overtuned them in the patch, and combined with the campaign bonuses they get they become by far the easiest faction to play as in the game at the moment.

And have to add my voice to the chorus of "get the Defensive Wood Elves" mod.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I dunno where it came from, but iirc there were some stories that the wood elves turn male kids into magical butler/servant types, basically making them servile Lost Boys or something. They remain children forever and serve the elves at feasts and poo poo. Stories were like about people stumbling into the forest and finding weird brainwashed child servants or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Undead shouldn't use boats - they should just walk along the bottom.

These are old-school undead. Running water tends to destroy them.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I didn't notice it before, but the steam page has images of all three LLs basic tech tree.

http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/534330/ss_e2017fef01269a10053a87ca320c265e390a1d9d.1920x1080.jpg?t=1487692984

http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/534330/ss_895e182cec592a74dbd6698e1607af92775e8e03.1920x1080.jpg?t=1487692984

http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/534330/ss_7fd929faefeb75c6649826a13ce06d59d1b37831.1920x1080.jpg?t=1487692984

It looks like the thing that really makes Alberic stand out is his unique Red and Blue Lines.

Fey Enchantress has her three magic items, Unicorn and Loremaster so fairly standard for a Wizard Lord. Hopefully her items are really good because she seems a bit lacking in unique skills TBH. I'm mildly concerned but still hopeful.

King Louen looks pretty much as expected, he'll be ridiculously strong.

Alberic is interesting, weaker in melee than Louen but a ton of unique skills. It looks like his only magic item is a trident? He'll probably double down on knight bonuses at the expense of peasants and maybe some econ bonuses.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

These are old-school undead. Running water tends to destroy them.

That's really only the vampires themselves.

And only some of them.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Night10194 posted:

That's really only the vampires themselves.

And only some of them.

Yeah, the undead pirate zombies of the Vampire Coast in Lustria use both underwater attacks and ships with rad cannons.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
On the pointless DLC speculation front, it's worth noting that CA has admitted that Isabella was the free lord on the FLC chart and they had no coherent plan for what they were going to do if they lost MWNL.

https://steamdb.info/app/364360/dlc/

There's also only two slots left, so it's looking very likely that we've got one more paid DLC+The Old Friend and that's it until Game 2.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

madmac posted:

On the pointless DLC speculation front, it's worth noting that CA has admitted that Isabella was the free lord on the FLC chart and they had no coherent plan for what they were going to do if they lost MWNL.

https://steamdb.info/app/364360/dlc/

There's also only two slots left, so it's looking very likely that we've got one more paid DLC+The Old Friend and that's it until Game 2.

I'd expect Game 2 in the summer or early autumn tbh. They're determined to keep the pace of content coming and it's not like they have to reinvent the wheel.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I thought the last dlc was semi confirmed to be a map expansion down to Araby and Tomb Kings?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
When it comes to DLC criticism, I'm far more inclined to complain about the DLC adding elite unique units to various factions. Being able to recruit them anywhere at a moment's notice is so powerful that it's pretty much paying to win. As a baddy I couldn't imagine playing a very hard or legendary campaign without them.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Nanomashoes posted:

I thought the last dlc was semi confirmed to be a map expansion down to Araby and Tomb Kings?

Source?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Russian leaks + they added the outline of the north coast of Araby to the map in the wood elves update.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Eschatos posted:

When it comes to DLC criticism, I'm far more inclined to complain about the DLC adding elite unique units to various factions. Being able to recruit them anywhere at a moment's notice is so powerful that it's pretty much paying to win. As a baddy I couldn't imagine playing a very hard or legendary campaign without them.

Yeah it's a bit silly to disband a stack full of RoR in the north then, same turn, recruit the exact same RoR army in the badlands. There should be a couple turn cool down. I played a slow campaign as dwarves against the VC and it got a bit dull fighting the same RoR turn after turn after annihilating them in battle.

Nanomashoes posted:

Russian leaks + they added the outline of the north coast of Araby to the map in the wood elves update.

It makes more sense to leave the map as is till 'game 2' but who knows

The Defensive welves mod helps but once engaged the welves will still colonize the world. I don't mind their armies being great, I mind them acting as the Real Chaos where they own everything and fun to fight factions like greenskins are annihilated by turn 20

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 22, 2017

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
It may be because I'm played with better ai mods that seem to change the way the map unfolds , but I don't think I've ever seen WEs dominate the map like you guys are describing.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Grail Guardians:

https://www.facebook.com/TotalWar/videos/1367130676695462/

Grail Knights but Melee instead of Shock, probably

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That's cool then, I was worried they'd be a super infantry unit which wouldn't fit Bretonnia well.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Besides, anyone who wants elite infantry for Bretonnia beyond the new Squires should be satisfied with the half-dozen unit mods on Workshop. They're super OP of course, but they make for cool screenshots.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Squires are worse than greatswords too, so all is right with the world.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Southpaugh posted:

Yeah, the wood elf buffs were really stupid. They have such insane scaling on everything so you just facerolled the map with Orions army after turn 30 even before the buffs.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

You should also get the mod that gives them an aversion to Chaos, because otherwise the Wood Elves and Chaos become best buds for lyfe.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 22, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
The pre-End Times Brettonia lore was once upon a time, Ariel, sorceror-queen of the Wood Elves, gave some random human warlord an unbelievable amount of performance-enhancing magic so he'd gently caress up the Beastmen for her while Orion was busy sleeping off the winter. Good news: it worked like a charm!

Questionable news, he also told stories about the nice lady who pumped him so full of magic it looks like he can't actually die, a couple of his buddies decided to go lookin' for her, and she said "uh, sure, why the hell not," leading to the society they ended up founding being based around the premise "if you act enough like Giles le Breton, a nice magic lady will make you just-short-of-immortal."

Bad news for the Wood Elves: the Warhammer Fantasy world contains significantly more Nice Magic Ladies Who Will Hand Out Performance Enhancing Drugs If You Do What They Say than Ariel. This leads to some knightly issues.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Ammanas posted:

It makes more sense to leave the map as is till 'game 2' but who knows

On the other hand, allowing CA a dry run at implementing a more limited map expansion before adding a whole separate continent might be a good idea.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

terrorist ambulance posted:

It may be because I'm played with better ai mods that seem to change the way the map unfolds , but I don't think I've ever seen WEs dominate the map like you guys are describing.

It's a real thing. As the Empire I actually rather enjoy a massive threat boiling out of the South, but it being the Wood Elves is a little... Silly.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

More like stupid. My doomstack can autoresolve a VC doomstack favourably, but a 15/20 WELF army absolutely wipes the floor with that same army composition. Right now in my empire game they've pretty much taken over the entire west coast, with Brettonia and the Dwarves as the last remaining holdouts. They're currently murdering Marianburg and heading north, and like there's gently caress all I can do but watch basically while I finish off the VC.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm curious how they will implement 'merging' of the old and new world games, have they done that before? Taken two fully standalone games and merged them if you have both?

Will there be a loading screen between continents? I don't have a SSD :(

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Its at the point where I'm considering starting over, dealing with the secessionists + getting Nuln somehow and then just going full ham on the welfs before they can rampage across the map.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Try to get Marienberg early too, the port gives a nice income stream and its way too slow trying to confederate with them vs the other provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/123930372

Stream of Bretonnia campaign but also mentions some other changes. In particular they're toning down welves so they're no longer "the Green Chaos".

• Locked thread