Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Have people completely forgotten about google glasses?
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39027652

In what way do you mean? Snap's dumb piece of poo poo glasses manage to not cost $1500 and don't attempt to do anything more than being a questionably more useful way to take pictures in a limited set of circumstances. Project's probably a total money pit for them, but that's the way things go.

Interesting that that article still uses the older publicity shots, the actual product looks marginally less goofy, although a lot more like the cheap $20 "spy sunglasses" you can order off aliexpress:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Baby Babbeh posted:

I mean, if I'm reading this as an amoral investorial ubermensch who couldn't give two tugs of a dead dog's cock about diversity, it still might put me off sticking my money in Uber. That stuff about the game of thrones style management culture is textbook failing company. It's what happens when the assholes have metastasized through the whole middle management layer because the higher ups are too clueless to excise them.

Unless you're a born and bred lolbertarian, in which case the only purer company is Sears.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nm posted:

But why aren't there many women in tech?

I knew some people at amazon who got the same treatment, and they were even fired for reporting sexual harassment in the first place.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Uber can't afford any more bad publicity after they lost >200K accounts in the #DeleteUber craze. If customers start getting a nasty unpleasant feeling about Uber, they're going to use a different service.

In other other news, Yahoo, the Dead That Cannot Die (see thread header) has just repriced the Verizon deal again, giving up $350 mil. You get three guesses as to why. Ready?
Last week they announced yet another big security breach

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If customers start getting a nasty unpleasant feeling about Uber, they're going to use a different service.

Where there is another comparable service available, yeah. I suspect that #DeleteUber is almost exclusively where Lyft has service.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If you are hired on and report something to HR while in your probationary period or at any point in an at-will employment state the most likely outcome is you getting terminated.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Subjunctive posted:

Where there is another comparable service available, yeah. I suspect that #DeleteUber is almost exclusively where Lyft has service.
Agreed. I have no idea how Lyft's penetration compares to Uber's. (Insert your single entendre here.)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

cowofwar posted:

If you are hired on and report something to HR while in your probationary period or at any point in an at-will employment state the most likely outcome is you getting terminated.

Really depends on the company and who you are reporting on. Some companies take this poo poo extremely seriously.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Agreed. I have no idea how Lyft's penetration compares to Uber's

Notably, Lyft is not present in my Chicago-sized city, part of a 6M-person metropolitan area.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Dirk the Average posted:

Really depends on the company and who you are reporting on. Some companies take this poo poo extremely seriously.

Actual grown up companies that aren't running on a business model of hoovering up venture capital until some moonshot cuts your cost of doing business by 80% take this poo poo very seriously indeed. The benefits of not having a toxic corporate culture are a lot more self-evident when you've existed for decades and intend to exist for decades more.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Subjunctive posted:

Notably, Lyft is not present in my Chicago-sized city, part of a 6M-person metropolitan area.

How about Grab? They just put an Uber-like interface on getting real taxis.

Lyft's core business model is identical to Uber's and open to all the same criticisms.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

TheScott2K posted:

Actual grown up companies that aren't running on a business model of hoovering up venture capital until some moonshot cuts your cost of doing business by 80% take this poo poo very seriously indeed. The benefits of not having a toxic corporate culture are a lot more self-evident when you've existed for decades and intend to exist for decades more.

Wouldn't know about that. I'm working with a decades old tech company and had a situation where a high up manager broke the law but got around it by pleading ignorance of my circumstances. Went to my manager and then to HR and got told what's done is done.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

Is Grab anywhere other than Singapore?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doc Hawkins posted:

Lyft's core business model is identical to Uber's and open to all the same criticisms.

The core business model isn't the problem as much as how it's executed (pricing, legislation, subprime car loans). The core business model (take a cut from non-employee drivers who can't set their own rates) is pretty much exactly how taxi and limo services operate. You can use Uber to get regular taxis here, too.

Grab doesn't seem to operate in my country at all.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

The big problem is Uber trying to maintain employer-like control over their workforce without offering them employee-like protections. And also a predatory model of advertising for drivers that encourages them to enter into debt to acquire a car to achieve an income stream that's a lot less than what's advertised when you factor in liability and maintenance.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Baby Babbeh posted:

The big problem is Uber trying to maintain employer-like control over their workforce without offering them employee-like protections. And also a predatory model of advertising for drivers that encourages them to enter into debt to acquire a car to achieve an income stream that's a lot less than what's advertised when you factor in liability and maintenance.

Funnily enough there's a tax lawyer in the UK arguing that because Uber lost their case to define their employees as contractors, they've actually been paying less than their fair share of tax (can't disrupt VAT) and owe the Treasury £20m/year for 4-5 years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Baby Babbeh posted:

The big problem is Uber trying to maintain employer-like control over their workforce without offering them employee-like protections.

I've never been an Uber driver, but are you talking about imposed pricing and responsiveness, or something else? Both of those are the case for taxis and limos as well.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
HR's job is to protect the company. Sometimes that means firing shitbags. Sometimes that means protecting employees by letting go some other resource.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Motronic posted:

Is Grab anywhere other than Singapore?

:doh:

I've mixed up my apps. I've used Grab in SEA. The first-world one I was thinking of is Curb.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

HR's job is to protect the company. Sometimes that means firing shitbags. Sometimes that means protecting employees by letting go some other resource.

Firing shitbags is protecting employees. Not firing them is not.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:stare:

heard about this the other day and figured it was just your typical startup sexual harassment story.

Travis' response was pathetic and I'd be pretty spooked if I was an investor. Doesn't matter how good your idea is, management styles like this will kill any company eventually and turning this around is going to be next to impossible as all the actors will be scrambling to stab eachother in the back even more now. They'd have to fire just about all of the leadership at this point and would probably tank the company even faster.

Too bad for Uber that noone outside of the investor class will really care. The sooner this bay area libertarian fever dream dies the better.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The worst thing is the leather jackets. It's like they're actively trying to make their employees hate the place. And there's a simple solution. Charge fatties an extra fee to subsidize the ladies, sheesh.

It's like watching some aynrandians trying to do reverse virtue signaling to show off how much of an rear end in a top hat they are.

But what's good about Uber is the civil disobedience they perform to get the laws protecting incumbents changed.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

sarehu posted:

The worst thing is the leather jackets. It's like they're actively trying to make their employees hate the place. And there's a simple solution. Charge fatties an extra fee to subsidize the ladies, sheesh.

Their argument was that a smaller order of women's jackets would end up costing more per jacket than the men's order, ie more spent per woman than per man, and that would be unfair. Their solution was to only buy jackets for men.

They don't need a subsidy, they need algebra.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doc Hawkins posted:

Their argument was that a smaller order of women's jackets would end up costing more per jacket than the men's order, ie more spent per woman than per man, and that would be unfair. Their solution was to only buy jackets for men.

The fall of unicorns: tech industry algebra subsidies

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sarehu posted:

Or peel off a rounding error from the CEO's bonus and just pay up for the extra cost.

They're loving flush with VC cash but decide to be penny pinchers when it comes to an employee perk. What a dick move.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
You don't exactly have to be a feminist to even realise that getting jackets for every employee EXCEPT for the women is like the dickest of dick moves that essentially says, "you're not really welcome here".

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Doc Hawkins posted:

Huh? They are algebraically correct.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

sarehu posted:

But what's good about Uber is the civil disobedience they perform to get the laws protecting incumbents changed.

Please tell me you're kidding.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Sir Tonk posted:

Travis' response was pathetic and I'd be pretty spooked if I was an investor. Doesn't matter how good your idea is, management styles like this will kill any company eventually and turning this around is going to be next to impossible as all the actors will be scrambling to stab eachother in the back even more now. They'd have to fire just about all of the leadership at this point and would probably tank the company even faster.

"We will replace all our drivers with AI within 20 years" (fails to notice all his female engineers leaving)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

sarehu posted:

Huh? They are algebraically correct.

Under whatever measure of fairness you prefer, compare the two options:
  • Buy men's jackets, and buy women's jackets at a higher price per unit
  • Buy only men's jackets

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

TheScott2K posted:

I think you're right: If Uber doesn't want to pay attention to local transportation and licensing laws, it makes sense they'd ignore HR regulations as well. And if your intention is grow big fast and then cash out (rather than build a company), rules and regulations are only holding you back. Not to mention the Silicon Valley mythology of people who "break the rules" (if only metaphorically).

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

sarehu posted:

It's like watching some aynrandians trying to do reverse virtue signaling to show off how much of an rear end in a top hat they are.

Funny too because if they really wanted to be such dicks about cost they could have gotten the women mens leather jackets in their sizes.

I also suspect whatever manager came up with the unit cost zinger was basing it on averages since clothing is sold in sizes. So no doubt they paid twice as much for 1 gigantic leather jacket for treebeard and more than the womens jackets would have costed.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
I don't think math is the best way to solve morality issues.

The real problem is the sharp line between men and women due to a paltry cost. It is not actually a cost issue, because again, less than 10 leather jackets vs 100. Nor is it a fairness issue, because an employee would have to be really petty to care that someones leather jackets cost the company 1.2 more.

But hey, whining about how a minority group is getting a leg up due to the assistance they get/extra cost they incur because they are NOT a majority is a favorite pastime of many "Homo Economicus".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doc Hawkins posted:

:doh:

I've mixed up my apps. I've used Grab in SEA. The first-world one I was thinking of is Curb.

Yeah, Curb is US-only.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
In my opinion, the benefit to the employee would be the retail price of a jacket without the costs for the employer factoring in.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Woman working for company that fucks over people gets hosed over, tears at eleven

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WampaLord posted:

Or peel off a rounding error from the CEO's bonus and just pay up for the extra cost.

They're loving flush with VC cash but decide to be penny pinchers when it comes to an employee perk. What a dick move.

Yeah you wouldn't think a company that's happy to lose $3 billion in a single year would worry about spending an extra $300 on jackets.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If a men's jacket cost $60 and a women's jacket cost $100 then the cost of jackets is $80. Providing something for only half your workforce is worse than providing nothing at all.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
The article talks about these dip poo poo managers described as top performers... in a company where the only tangible progress appears to be losing court battles and lighting money on fire, what do you think constitutes excellent management performance?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Acinonyx posted:

The article talks about these dip poo poo managers described as top performers... in a company where the only tangible progress appears to be losing court battles and lighting money on fire, what do you think constitutes excellent management performance?

Cost saving initiatives, like only buying jackets for men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

cowofwar posted:

If a men's jacket cost $60 and a women's jacket cost $100 then the cost of jackets is $80. Providing something for only half 97% of your workforce is worse than providing nothing at all.