Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Since you said all of North America, how about El Santo and El Hijo del Santo and Octagon.

Hijo del Santo did have a huge heel turn run according to my research (at roughly the same time Hogan did oddly enough) but he absolutely became a star without ever being Heel during the lead-up, and the same would go for the other two based on my knowledge. I don't know if Blue Demon was a face/technico for his rise to stardom.

For that matter, what about Hogan himself? I know he did some heel work in the infancy of his career, but surely he didn't count as "a star," until he got the belt off Iron Shiek and was a full blown face all the way through that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sandman McMahon posted:

Question: Can you think of any major stars (ie: ppv main events, at least a run or two with a world title) that didn't initially get over as a heel? I've got Sting and I guess Steamboat (though even he doesn't really fit my criteria of major star). Anyone else?

Bobby Lashley, loosely

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Since you said all of North America, how about El Santo and El Hijo del Santo and Octagon.

Hijo del Santo did have a huge heel turn run according to my research (at roughly the same time Hogan did oddly enough) but he absolutely became a star without ever being Heel during the lead-up, and the same would go for the other two based on my knowledge. I don't know if Blue Demon was a face/technico for his rise to stardom.

For that matter, what about Hogan himself? I know he did some heel work in the infancy of his career, but surely he didn't count as "a star," until he got the belt off Iron Shiek and was a full blown face all the way through that.

Santo also did that thing where was only a rudo in a specific arena (Arena Coliseo, I think).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

Long story short:

Daniel Bryan got concussed into retirement and had to vacate the IC belt. They set up a Chamber match with a bunch of midcard guys who were varying degrees of heatless.

Rusev got injured and couldn't make the match, so they put Mark Henry in his place.

Match itself is going just fine until Henry's pod door accidentally breaks open before he was supposed to come in. Henry and the ref stand there not sure what to do, but they settle on "welp it's No-DQ" and Henry enters the match early. He proceeds to stumble around messing up the other guys' planned spots and generally looking clueless. (at one point Ziggler yells out "don't move Mark!" before going for a move on Barrett)

When it was time for Sheamus to come out, they planned a spot where he kept himself locked in on purpose, as a sneaky heel tactic to wait until everyone was laid out and come in to pick at the scraps. But apparently, nobody clued in the wrestlers or announcers as to what he's doing, so for all the world it looked like Sheamus was trapped in his pod as a legit botch.

At this point, the the entire match literally stops. Everyone's just huddling in the middle of the ring, with Ziggler calling out spots and talking with the ref as they try to figure out what the gently caress to do. Like, you had 10-15 year veterans just standing around with slack jaws, like it's their second week of wrestling school and they forgot the trainer's instructions. It's brutal.

Eventually they get their poo poo together and the rest of the match went off fine, but the damage had been done, and Ryback's first IC title win went over like the wettest fart.

it was the 2nd chamber match on the show, the first chamber match was a tag team match and featured Big E doing his patented "spear through the ropes onto the floor" spot (the one that he will eventually die from)

except without the floor because it was in an EC, he went crashing into a pod in the corner. The same pod that Mark Henry got assigned to.

The event was also in Corpus Christi which did not really help matters. (Also why Henry was in the match, as a local guy make good)

To be fair to the announcers though, they probably didn't miss Sheamus cheating and locking the door, but they already kind of wasted the technical malfunction spot with Henry, and if there's one well you can't go back to twice in the same match it's "there was a malfunction and the stip got hosed up".

Vince for all of his neuroses, is stupidly good at getting the announcers to pick up on planned wrinkles in matches and when he starts to deviate from that behavior he's starting to go into "Well this is getting over like poo poo, let's salvage what we can" mode

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

dont even fink about it posted:

He was frankly considered not a very good worker by the boys and had attitude problems when he came in, which led to being busted down to developmental and the infamous "Stevie Richards does all the Big Show parts" in No Mercy. His interviews with Steve Austin about this are hilarious. He got to work with Steve straight-off and every night Steve would potato him, and Big Show would do nothing. Finally Big Show has enough and lays into him, and Austin goes, "That's the spirit!"

Until he was busted down to developmental in the wwf he had no wrestling training at all. Hogan literally scooped him up at a charity basketball game and used his leverage to get him signed to wcw. Big show is the definition of someone not paying his dues. Wcw hid his weaknesses really well but when he came to the wwf he was under intense scrutiny and literally he didn't know poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Plus by that point he had really let his condition slip. As big as the guy is now, add a few more sizes.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Wasn't sure where else to put this, so I figured I'd drop it here:

https://twitter.com/KungFu_Grip/status/833969857393721344

A flubbed take by Lawler makes it into the game unedited.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Ghostpilot posted:

Wasn't sure where else to put this, so I figured I'd drop it here:

https://twitter.com/KungFu_Grip/status/833969857393721344

A flubbed take by Lawler makes it into the game unedited.

Holy crap that's amazing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493510&pagenumber=142#lastpost

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Did you accidentally post the thread you wanted to post that in here?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Sandman McMahon posted:

Question: Can you think of any major stars (ie: ppv main events, at least a run or two with a world title) that didn't initially get over as a heel? I've got Sting and I guess Steamboat (though even he doesn't really fit my criteria of major star). Anyone else?

an obvious one I don't think anyone has mentioned with is Goldberg.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinia posted:

Hogan was a giant star before the Iron Sheik match. Hulkamania started in the AWA and led to the AWA's biggest run ever in the early 80s, and that's a company with a 20 year history at that point. Hogan was an even bigger star in Japan, and during his pre-AWA heel run he was working main events or second from the top with Andre in many cities.

Santo spent about a decade as a heel when he became El Santo and was a giant star during that time.

Goldberg started out as a heel but the crowds turned him pretty quickly.

I also don't get how Steamboat doesn't fit the initial criteria, he had a run with the world title and main evented all over the world. He was in the biggest match in the history of the Carolinas.

As for Andre he was initially a heel in Japan and I believe a heel in Montreal. Montreal is where he established himself in North America and he was obviously a star in Japan for 20 years. I'm not sure if he worked as a heel or face in Europe early in his career.

As for some more, Jack Brisco established himself as a face.

Kerry Von Erich is definitely one.

Jeff Jarrett counts by the initial criteria and he initially got over as a face but he's not exactly a major star.

Edge debuted as a face and got fairly over before turning heel to join the Brood, but it was a short face run.

The Hardys are an obvious example too.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How did the whole thing of American wrestlers working in Japan get started?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that's sort of asking how did wrestling in japan get started

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

They were there from the beginning. Rikidozan would bring in American wrestlers for him to beat.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I'm sure MRT or someone can have a more detailed answer, but American wrestlers in Japan has always been there from the start of Japanese wrestling. In post-war Japan, Rikidozan got over huge as a mega-babyface feuding with filthy American heels, and it just built from there to the point where gaijin wrestlers became a regular thing for easy heel heat.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

after world war 2 wrestling exploded in japan with rikidozan as a national hero defending the shores of japan from westerners

his students giant baba and antonio inoki would go on to found all japan pro wrestling and new japan pro wrestling respectively where the practice was kept alive and well

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Cool fact: the Funks were the first Gaijin faces.

Terry Funk is loving awesome, you guys.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've always found it funny that Rikidozan, defender and hero of Japan, was Korean.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sandman McMahon posted:

Rey.

Heel Rey has always been bad and never works. He's like reverse Hogan where no matter how hard he tries to be heelish he still wrestles like the faciest face.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Sandman McMahon posted:

Andre works.

I considered Bret, but the Hart Foundation were always heels were they not? Brets early singles career is one I'm (as a Calgarian) sadly unfamiliar with, did it start as a face run? He was definitely face when he was in Stampede, but would that have been known to the general audience?

They were heels for a good long while, but they turned face by turning on their manager, Jimmy Hart. (Or he turned on them, I'm not quite sure) There was a storyline where they were still officially under contract with him, so he'd show up at their matches and give the heel team and manager tips on how to beat them. They were face when they won the titles from Demolition at Summerslam, when it was Ax, Smash and Crush.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I need your favorite matches with big guys hitting each other very hard and tossing reckless suplexes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Suplex Liberace posted:

I need your favorite matches with big guys hitting each other very hard and tossing reckless suplexes.
Do you consider Misawa big?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Hes like the lower limit of big. The bigger the better.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Steiners/Scott Norton vs. Hellraisers is a pretty good jumpoff

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Suplex Liberace posted:

I was at a ROH taping where War Machine and the Pretty Boy Killers wrestled. It was broadcast sometime in October.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Suplex Liberace posted:

Twin Towers vs Strong BJ - Big Japan Wrestling 5/28/15

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Rey.

Heel Rey has always been bad and never works. He's like reverse Hogan where no matter how hard he tries to be heelish he still wrestles like the faciest face.

One of the Raw vs Smackdown games had Evil Rey as a storyline. It was awesome and you could tell Rey was having fun with the VO.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Suplex Liberace posted:

Did the Steiners and Meng/Barbarian ever wrestle each other in WCW? If so, there's your answer.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kobashi vs Joe should scratch that itch.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Kobashi vs Joe should scratch that itch.

Kobashi vs Sasaki for the five minute chop war.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is AJ really a flat earther or was it just a bad joke

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If it even hints at it in the Bible then he probably is

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flatluigi posted:

Is AJ really a flat earther or was it just a bad joke

He says the flat earthers make some good points.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Flat earth theory probably dovetails with the earth being 6000 years old which is convenient for AJ for a number of reasons

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The thing I never understand about rich flat earthers is why don't you just charter a plane to prove it to yourself?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I just assumed they were making a half-baked Kyrie Irving reference

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

flatluigi posted:

The thing I never understand about rich flat earthers is why don't you just charter a plane to prove it to yourself?

It's easier than that, just get yourself to the coast and watch a boat come in to the shore. You see the top of the boat coming over the horizon, thus demonstrably proving curvature.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I would imagine AJ's flat earth thing is just a riff on Kyrie Irving, but it's AJ so who knows.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is it true that TNA often refuses to pay the medical bills of it's performers? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Is it true that TNA often refuses to pay it's performers? :gonk: