Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

dissss posted:

Split the difference and get a Focus?

It's closer to Golf size without being Golf boring. lovely interior though.

It's comfortable enough (providing you don't get the hosed-up Recaros) and about budget an interior as you're going to get and it still be fine. After I got the tune from Stratified the thing, which was a joy to drive before, became noticeably more fun. The FiST is more "on" or "live" or "tasmanian devil-ish" than the FoST, I'm told.

If he has the cash it sounds like the GTI is probably better suited to what he said his requirements are due to interior quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Quite A Tool posted:

poo poo is getting real in my search for a hot hatch. It's currently down to the Fiesta and the GTI. Anyone mind throwing down why they went one way or the other?

I want the Fiesta for the driving experience. But the GTI is so much nicer for the long hauls my wife and I like to take around the PNW. I'm having trouble justifying the extra 4-5 grand that the GTI commands though.

You've pretty much got it. The GTI is a nicer place to be when driving but the Fiesta ST is going to be lighter and more tossable while being 5 gs cheaper. I'd focus on figuring out how many long hauls you are going to take in it and base your decision on that. GTIs/Rs are very nice places to be on long hauls like that considering what they are.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I went with the GTI because there's quite a bit of money on the hood right now and I need the extra space even though I'm alone in my car 99.99999999% of the time.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Same here. Good deals on the GTI and the resale is going to be better if that's a concern. I've had my share of compact Fords and never again.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The GTI is probably going to be a nice place to sit whoever ya are but I would go drive a Fiesta ST to see how you personally feel about driving something that small. If you really don't have an issue with it and aren't a highway warrior I would go with the Fiesta.

But yeah if you buy it new the FiST is probably gonna lose more value than a GTI so that's another thing to consider

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I had the same decision a couple years ago and went with the fiesta. It's incredibly fun to drive. If I had the chance to do it over I would have taken the GTI. The GTI is still fun in its own right and it also manages to be more comfortable, more practical, and hold its value better. I got my fiesta on a heavy discount and I still owe $4K more on it than it's now worth. And no matter which seats you get your back will hurt after a couple of hours.

If you really do want a fiesta, get a used one. There at least you get to take partial advantage of its abysmal resale value.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 20, 2017

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I went FiST but was cross shopping a WRX or ND miata. The GTI was nice and all but I didn't find it as fun to drive and to get one the way I wanted it'd be the most expensive car on my list (though some of that is to get things that the FiST doesn't have, like LSD). Ultimately the FiST offered the best combination of price, fun, and practicality. To me, small cars with stiff suspension are more fun for bombing around town since they feel faster than something softer. The GTI kinda reminded me of my old G35 where it's objectively probably a better car but that doesn't necessarily make it the one I want to drive.

So far I'm extremely happy with it. Super fun to drive and practical enough that I don't need to have a second vehicle just to cart around equipment. One caveat is that I don't personally get much/anything from nice interiors. I just don't notice, even on longer trips, so it's not worth much to me.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My work just gave me a focus RS.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

My work just gave me a focus RS.

This sounds like magical christmasland. Congrats, what are you going to do with it?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to use it to help understand point of impact in auto claims.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hahaha someone binned it already? How many miles?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Same here. Good deals on the GTI and the resale is going to be better if that's a concern. I've had my share of compact Fords and never again.

That's absolutely crazy to me - in my part of the world absolutely nothing depreciates as fast as a fairly expensive VAG product

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
The focus was fast and all but yeah the interior on the fords leaves a lot to be desired. Our other daily cars are an XJ Cherokee and a 2012 Scion XB which is a perfect commuting appliance but road noise in it is atrocious, which is something we've both wanted less of.

My wife really likes the Fiesta (and so do I). She said it wasn't too small when we test drove it, but she's 6' and I'm a bit concerned about how long it would stay comfortable.

Gonna take another day and do a back to back of the Fiesta and the GTI and see how that goes, hopefully get longer than 20 mins in both.

I couldn't find much regarding incentives on the GTI on line, are they really getting big discounts?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Hahaha someone binned it already? How many miles?

Brand new, still in the blister pack actually.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you're buying a GTI make sure you get an SCCA membership. You get $500 under invoice.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Quite A Tool posted:

The focus was fast and all but yeah the interior on the fords leaves a lot to be desired. Our other daily cars are an XJ Cherokee and a 2012 Scion XB which is a perfect commuting appliance but road noise in it is atrocious, which is something we've both wanted less of.

My wife really likes the Fiesta (and so do I). She said it wasn't too small when we test drove it, but she's 6' and I'm a bit concerned about how long it would stay comfortable.

Gonna take another day and do a back to back of the Fiesta and the GTI and see how that goes, hopefully get longer than 20 mins in both.

I couldn't find much regarding incentives on the GTI on line, are they really getting big discounts?

New SE for under 27k.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quite A Tool posted:

$5k+ at the right dealerships...

The FiST was definitely a more fun car in the short time I was in it, but the GTI isn't far off and it being slightly softer and larger is what really sold me on it for a DD. I have zero regrets outside of the whole thing where I hit another guy with it and now I wish it had been totaled so I could buy another one.

Getting in touch with an appraiser tomorrow to look at it. Hopefully they'll be able to see a lot of this stuff without me having to point it out to them. I'll pay for an independent appraisal at a quality shop if I have to, hopefully it doesn't come to that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I drove a Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost the other day and was really impressed, especially compared to my FoST. It's a lot slower but it likes to be driven fairly hard, and the ride was actually a little bit softer and nicer.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I drove a Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost the other day and was really impressed, especially compared to my FoST. It's a lot slower but it likes to be driven fairly hard, and the ride was actually a little bit softer and nicer.

it's also going to be softer than the FiST.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I think the fist should have 16" wheels stock. The 205/40/17 setup is loving brutally stiff. But who cares it's a rad little car.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

PaintVagrant posted:

I think the fist should have 16" wheels stock. The 205/40/17 setup is loving brutally stiff. But who cares it's a rad little car.

I agree with this. Also a common bolt pattern would be really nice.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I'm going 16x7 with 205/50/16 tires. A ton of cheap options for wheels and tires, pretty close to same total diameter. Stock wheels are also really heavy, so should lose some rotating mass.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got 15x6 wheels for my snow tires and actually like the way they look at little more than the stock wheels. 17" is way too big for a car this size.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I drove one of those and ended up with a 1.0 Focus that I kept for almost 2 years. Great engine, sounds super cool and feels special. Highly recommended. Only reason I sold it was because I got sick and tired of driving a manual transmission in this city full of idiots and with traffic light programming that makes you stop at every single god drat red light (programmed to waste a lot of fuel, considering this is a liberal paradise that should surprise me)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PaintVagrant posted:

I'm going 16x7 with 205/50/16 tires. A ton of cheap options for wheels and tires, pretty close to same total diameter. Stock wheels are also really heavy, so should lose some rotating mass.

It does seem like 16" is the correct wheel size for these cars, which is really annoying because I was pretty set on getting Turbomacs if I ever changed the wheels and there's not really anything like them available in 16". I like designs with a good amount of material in the center, so far the Sparco Terras are a distant second best.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

It does seem like 16" is the correct wheel size for these cars, which is really annoying because I was pretty set on getting Turbomacs if I ever changed the wheels and there's not really anything like them available in 16". I like designs with a good amount of material in the center, so far the Sparco Terras are a distant second best.

Fifteen52 really don't have that great of size/width options. I'm probably going to go with their Tarmac in 18" but they only make them in 8.5" and 9.5" widths when I just want 8.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I drove one of those and ended up with a 1.0 Focus that I kept for almost 2 years. Great engine, sounds super cool and feels special. Highly recommended. Only reason I sold it was because I got sick and tired of driving a manual transmission in this city full of idiots and with traffic light programming that makes you stop at every single god drat red light (programmed to waste a lot of fuel, considering this is a liberal paradise that should surprise me)

If you're having to stop at each light, you aren't driving fast enough :)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Adjuster just went over my car. She couldn't remember the dollar amount the re-repair claim came up to but her words were "It wasn't cheap". :allears:

Time to figure out what shop to take it to!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://twitter.com/forduk/status/834071072819515396

Looks like we're going to get to see the new Fiesta ST this week.

edit: Grabbed screenshots of the frames that showed the most, but there's not really much to see beyond what we already know the next-gen Fiestas look like.

https://imgur.com/a/UdFJR

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 21, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

If that is the stock wheel, I can see a lot of people with current gen fiestas getting them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It looks a lot like the Focus RS.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did they really use a production shutdown to make a commercial? ahahah ford

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I think that's the Ford Racing fiesta wheel.

That camo pattern needs to be a factory option.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

oxbrain posted:

Yeah that was my guess as well. Nice looking wheel, but super expensive.

I'm going to plastdip my '16 wheels this spring. That's maybe my biggest criticism, sans the super over scribe first gear lockout, is that the wheel paint quality sucks.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Quite A Tool posted:

poo poo is getting real in my search for a hot hatch. It's currently down to the Fiesta and the GTI. Anyone mind throwing down why they went one way or the other?

I want the Fiesta for the driving experience. But the GTI is so much nicer for the long hauls my wife and I like to take around the PNW. I'm having trouble justifying the extra 4-5 grand that the GTI commands though.

I drove the GTI, Focus ST, and Fiesta ST, and the GTI interior is a much nicer place to be. I drove the GTI from DC to Key West and back with a dog and passenger and it was really comfortable. I came from a 2013 MS3 and I couldn't drive that more than a few hours without getting uncomfortable. I also didn't really like the Recaros in the STs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Recaros are really hit or miss, but I love the ones in the ST3.

The Focus interior is fine to me but it really wastes space. The GTI center stack is a much better design. At the time I bought the FoST, you could not get the GTI PP yet, so that forced my hand. Had the GTI PP been available, I might have considered it.

edit: Wait, the 2017 GTI comes only with manual single zone climate control? Do you have to get the Autobahn to get that stuff?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 22, 2017

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

oxbrain posted:

That wheel is dope. Shades of the Enkei rs05rr.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

oxbrain posted:

Isn't that just the wheel style that came on the Focus SVT EAP?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

If you're having to stop at each light, you aren't driving fast enough :)

That used to be the case, but nowadays traffic is so insanely congested and people so thoroughly dimwitted it is no longer an option.

I almost bought a leftover 2016 Fiesta Titanium with the dual clutch last night... Not hot, but pretty (in Kona Blue with the light interior), comfortable and no shifting.

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: Wait, the 2017 GTI comes only with manual single zone climate control? Do you have to get the Autobahn to get that stuff?

Yes. The climate control was kind of a bummer. Autobahn adds that and nav, full powered seat (at the loss of the underseat bin) and DCC.