Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zurai posted:

AOEs are fine if they kill the orbs, so it's only pure-elemental AOEs which should be really problematic.

Ah, I didn't realize that. So Reunion would've been fine, but Fenrir Overdrive (or Combat King, for that matter - I spent most of that fight using Zell's SSB1 over his SSB2) would have been Definitely A Bad IdeaTM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, random target is really bad. You're pretty much guaranteed to go 7 hits on the green orb and 1 hit on the unsafe red orb, which then counters for massive overkill damage.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zurai posted:

AOEs are fine if they kill the orbs, so it's only pure-elemental AOEs which should be really problematic.

Oh man, wish I'd realized that; it would've really expanded my options. Oh well.

Firion has his BSB, Bartz, Rosa, and Sabin have their SSBs. I didn't have any more single-target non-elemental SSBs, so I brought Tidus with his hastega, single-target unique SB, and BSB. Only used his BSB just before the end. I couldn't bring either of my BSB medicas because they both have AoE/random targetting damage entries.

No hastega or buffs in phase 1, and just has Firion Lifesiphoning, then using his BSB before phase 2. I had Rosa spend her first turn wrathing, so it got hairy after his ultimate Tsunami and people were almost dead, but I recovered. Used Shout at the start of phase 2, killing the red orbs and ignoring the green (they only do one ~4000 hp heal after a couple turns). Rosa was barely able to keep us alive without extra healing with some curajas and her mblink medica.

Then I screwed up and used my second Shout RW just BEFORE the phase transition, so it immediately got dispelled, leaving me unhasted and with no buffs in phase 3.

Luckily Firion is a BEAST and just chain-cast his BSB to keep mblinking us, giving Rosa time to wrath to another SB charge and throw in another mblink. Even with us plinking away unboosted, I think he only managed to hit my team with one single-target spell in phase 3. Hooray! :toot:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's actually not the worst thing to kill the green orbs - the heal they give the party is actually fairly substantial, and if you use two characters and kill it with one attack apiece that's a 4k heal. Managing green orb heals meant that Tyro could focus on Wrathing up another Keeper's Tome. I derped and hit an orb with Finishing Touch instead of Full Charge, but did managed to get him down in the end - having two MBlinks (Beatrix and Tyro) meant that I had a bit of buffer once I managed timing them. Also actually got Yda's SSB some use thanks to the Boostga for phase 1, allowing me to save the Shout casts for the second and third phases.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's actually not the worst thing to kill the green orbs - the heal they give the party is actually fairly substantial, and if you use two characters and kill it with one attack apiece that's a 4k heal. Managing green orb heals meant that Tyro could focus on Wrathing up another Keeper's Tome. I derped and hit an orb with Finishing Touch instead of Full Charge, but did managed to get him down in the end - having two MBlinks (Beatrix and Tyro) meant that I had a bit of buffer once I managed timing them. Also actually got Yda's SSB some use thanks to the Boostga for phase 1, allowing me to save the Shout casts for the second and third phases.

Killing green orbs is fine and good and recommended. The problem is killing one on the wrong side of the screen relative to the character that kills it.

Did the fight with:

Onion Kid, BSB/Curada/Pound (he never cast Curada, saved the BSB until P2 start)
Luneth, Blood of the Wyvern/Dragoon Jump R3 on both. He has his BSB but I never cast it.
Beatrix, Curaja/Lifesiphon/Magic Blink SSB - my MVP; I had her geared with one of her MND swords and had her summon a Y'shtola BSB - that let her cover any healing needs that came up in P2/3 in between pumping out magic blinks.
Orlandeau: Powerchain/Full Charge
Tidus: Lifesiphon/Sapphire Shot, cast his OSB once in P3.

I barely used any soul breaks other than Beatrix's really. Mostly just let the orbs do all the work and found it pretty easy.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
In other news, MVP email went out with some more anniversary news. The big thing is:

:siren::woop::siren::woop::siren:ORBFEST IS MARCH 15th:siren::woop::siren::woop::siren:

Also more mythril and some dungeon stuff. Presumably banners about a week after, of JP precedent holds, which puts it in line with the FF2 banner.

But mostly: ORBFEST.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 22, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bluestacks is way better than Nox for me, I can actually play the game instead of logging in once a day to get login bonuses.

Also wow that was a lot of announcements

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I love the Twin Moon cutscene so much.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Sesq posted:

Aerith needs to come into the last round with at least one meter so she can use Seal Evil to silence the Soul Fires. After that, I used Planet Protector which made a crucial amount of difference with Cloud's damage output. You'll also need her to be ready to reapply Shell, as Gi Nattak will dispel it twice over the course of the fight. He's gonna wreck you with some harsh magic after that, so anticipate when he's going to do his dispel. Finally, I used her burst at some point, but it was mostly for the self-haste more than anything. I didn't really need to use her burst commands.

Just one point on this, when he does dispel, he always hits next with gravija, for which shell doesn't help anyway. It's not necessary to really anticipate it by sitting there with Aerith wasting actions to time the recast of shell. You should have plenty of time to react to his dispel if you're paying attention.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Nihilarian posted:

Bluestacks is way better than Nox for me, I can actually play the game instead of logging in once a day to get login bonuses.

Bluestacks I hated because it kept installing stupid apps that it was trying to push on me. Nox has been really good both on my pc and laptop.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

CaptainPsyko posted:

In other news, MVP email went out with some more anniversary news. The big thing is:

:siren::woop::siren::woop::siren:ORBFEST IS MARCH 15th:siren::woop::siren::woop::siren:

Also more mythril and some dungeon stuff. Presumably banners about a week after, of JP precedent holds, which puts it in line with the FF2 banner.

But mostly: ORBFEST.

Oh man, this is great - though I still haven't even finished leveling everyone that I started during the LAST Orbfest.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Omega Weapon is loving dead. This was a bit rough because I don't have any BSBs or OSBs for Combat 5 heroes. Ended up leaving Ramza at home and using a Shout RW instead. My saving grace was Rosa's and Beatrix's magic blink SSBs, which let me dodge all the nasty stuff in phase 3, since my DPS was nowhere near sufficient to burst him down before the Meteor/Forsaken combo.

Well, crap. Now I've got a ton of crystals. I guess I should make an ability or two

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

U-DO Burger posted:

Well, crap. Now I've got a ton of crystals. I guess I should make an ability or two

A halfway decent rule of thumb is that the more bullshit Nightmare boss of the two gave the better ability. Meltdown, Omega Drive, Affliction Break, Northern Cross, Curada, your choice of summon. I could maybe see niche cases for Dervish and Crushdown, but Reraise, Ultima, and Quad Foul are just sheer unmitigated trash.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

KataraniSword posted:

A halfway decent rule of thumb is that the more bullshit Nightmare boss of the two gave the better ability. Meltdown, Omega Drive, Affliction Break, Northern Cross, Curada, your choice of summon. I could maybe see niche cases for Dervish and Crushdown, but Reraise, Ultima, and Quad Foul are just sheer unmitigated trash.

I've seen it argued that Neo Bahamut is a total waste too

Pretty much in every case you want the abilities from 7 onwards except for Northern Cross

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Dollar pull on the select banner yielded Fran's bow, my first Fran relic. Bad banner, good result, woo!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Nihilarian posted:

I recommend MeMu. Dont gotta install dumb apps like bluestacks wants you to. No slowdown like bluestacks. Works well. Quality of life stuff too like easy screenshots, soft resets, etc.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I figured a week of playing for real meant it was okay to spend a little and did a dollar roll on each current banner. I got an Exeter for Irvine. I didn't play VIII more than a few hours so I don't know who that is.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Sesq posted:

So I beat the VII Torment Cid Mission today without any ridiculous wind gear or even a Hastega, based on a Reddit build I found. I did use a Boostga and a Medica, with some pretty solid stat sticks. It also took me many, many attempts to finish it. I didn't go into the fight bare-rear end naked, but I didn't have most of tools that make this trivial.

Here's how I did it, if anyone wants to take one last crack at it before it goes away tomorrow.

Vincent's magic is jacked up as high as I could get it, 510 with synergy gear and some 3* motes, with Bartz's wind damage RM3. He is the engine of damage. He pops Memento Mori and then Aerial Blast (not necessarily in that order, then spams the Attack 1 damage. When the burst runs out, use Meltdown and reapply Aerial Blast.I was doing about 22000 with the command attack, and 29997 with Meltdown with all the debuffs up. I beat the boss with 5 seconds on the doom timer.

Yuffie's just there to dance for magic and resistance breakdowns, and nothing else really. Do whatever feels best to keep the debuffs up and to keep her alive.

Cait Sith is there for backup healing and extra dancing. I gave him a shared medica, but never used it. I should've boosted his mind more, as the multibreak buff fell off pretty quickly. I wonder if I could have gotten away with replacing Curaja with Haste.

Aerith needs to come into the last round with at least one meter so she can use Seal Evil to silence the Soul Fires. After that, I used Planet Protector which made a crucial amount of difference with Cloud's damage output. You'll also need her to be ready to reapply Shell, as Gi Nattak will dispel it twice over the course of the fight. He's gonna wreck you with some harsh magic after that, so anticipate when he's going to do his dispel. Finally, I used her burst at some point, but it was mostly for the self-haste more than anything. I didn't really need to use her burst commands.

Cloud came into the fight with two meters and change, and no shots of Lifesiphon left. He killed most of the trash with Blade Beam, and continued to unload Blade Beam on Gi Nattak once Planet Protector was up. I have a 8 star Organics, which got me doing 180000 with Blade Beam and 5000 with Aero Strike. Basically use whoever can do the most raw damage in this slot. I would have liked to have used Tifa's burst, but Gi Nattak's immune to earth. The burst commands are earth and non-elemental, but they lose their teeth without EnEarth being a factor.

Everyone has KO resist gear except for Vincent, who needed as much magic as possible. I got lucky on the successful attempt since he did Meteor once and Gravija a bunch of times.

Thank you. I just used my own version of this and it was my winning ticket for this mission. Since I had Cait's full breakdance SB I was able to give Yuffie Dash and Slash to help me with the damage. Used Zack with Apocalypse SB in lieu of Cloud. I messed up a little but since I was able to build my SB gauges before the fight it gave me just enough to beat him before my guys died. And by just enough I mean Vincent was my last guy standing casting meltdown with a sliver of HP left to finish him. I could have done better even but didn't want to start over again cause I would have to hope I got fortunate with the trash spawns again.

My own tips: Cast seal evil directly AFTER Gi Nattak uses gravity on his first turn. It'll get there before the fires act, and this should make sure the fires don't get any turns in before their silence wears off and they go into takeover. MND might make a difference here but for me if I did it after that gravity cast, they would never get a turn in.

Also in my fight and maybe this is always true but I didn't notice it cause I never tried the fight too many times--but the fires always possessed the 2nd and 5th guys. So if he always does that then DONT PUT VINCENT SECOND like I did. That complicated things a bit but I eventually got such a good feel for the fight that my HP was full until he started using AOEs toward the end.

I'm caught up on CMs again!! Now the Mandragoras will be here to torment me.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 22, 2017

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Charles Bukowski posted:

I recommend MeMu. Dont gotta install dumb apps like bluestacks wants you to. No slowdown like bluestacks. Works well. Quality of life stuff too like easy screenshots, soft resets, etc.

Was interested then realized it was PC only. One of these days I'll have a Windows laptop.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Stagger_Lee posted:

I figured a week of playing for real meant it was okay to spend a little and did a dollar roll on each current banner. I got an Exeter for Irvine. I didn't play VIII more than a few hours so I don't know who that is.

He's some creep in a cowboy hat. The important thing is that the sb that gun gives him is excellent. Its a pentabreak. It deals all 5 debuffs at once, allowing them to stack with all of the individual and dual debuffs. Master this soul break and use it well my friend.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So when you beat all the nightmare dungeons, does anything unlock?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

You get the video that shows a silhouette of the female keeper for a split second. Even in JP they haven't actually done anything with it yet!!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I've seen it argued that Neo Bahamut is a total waste too

Pretty much in every case you want the abilities from 7 onwards except for Northern Cross

Both of the summons are a waste of crystals, honestly, because they're summons and you're never gonna hone a 6* skill past R1 or maybe R2 unless you obsessively grind out crystals somewhere.

Neo Bahamut is more powerful, Valigarmandr can be boosted by equipment/enelement, both of them are worse than a three-hit Tiamat and harder to hone on top of that.

On the other hand, you're not going to use those Summoning Crystals for literally anything else. :shrug:

iamsosmrt posted:

A cutscene and a tease of a gameplay mechanic that not even Japan has yet.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 22, 2017

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Nihilarian posted:

if you're disappointed by Lightning DIve, you're not going to like Sky High any better.

No way am I dissapointed in lightning dive, I just prefer the extra hone. Besides, it'll let me use it on dragoons in other realms.

KataraniSword posted:

With Kain's BSB, Lightning Dive will outdamage Sky High significantly. Not only does it get the element boost, but Sky High is only roughly equal power to begin with unless you have multiple 'goons playing jump patrol.

Only in torment dungeons. If I recall correctly, en-element is a 1.5x boost to damage. Hitting an elemental weakness gives a 2x boost. Also I just straight up want it for damage on other dragoons as well.

Speaking of torment dungeons, I'm attempting the gi nattak one with an all physical team. Faris with the new thief skill and her imperil wind ssb, bartz with snowspell and his bsb and kain with his bsb and sky high. I'm hoping the imperil wind will justify the usage of sky high. I even have an easy wind boost armor on him, whereas a lightning boost would require a weapon from another realm. And I need that synergy.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

He's some creep in a cowboy hat. The important thing is that the sb that gun gives him is excellent. Its a pentabreak. It deals all 5 debuffs at once, allowing them to stack with all of the individual and dual debuffs. Master this soul break and use it well my friend.

But I have Monkey Wrench and Cid has a better hat.

edit: Oh, but Irvine has Support 5. Maybe I will learn to love him.

Stagger_Lee fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 22, 2017

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Once I have enough summoning crystals I'll be honing Valigarmanda to R2 because why the hell not aside from not being able to use the other crystals on something else.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
I only have an R1 Meltdown and R1 Sky High for 6* skills. I suppose I should figure what I want to use long-term and work on it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Stagger_Lee posted:

If Full Break stacks with Irvine's Pentabreak, put that on and Mog's.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Stagger_Lee posted:

You will learn to love having it on both of them. Pentabreak for cid missions is nothing to sneer at. Also you might want to bring support on someone else, and cid can do mechanist bullshit for statuses. And eventually damage once that lightning skill gets released. How is that non-elemental 5* mechanist skill that we just got?

widespread posted:

If Full Break stacks with Irvine's Pentabreak, put that on and Mog's.

It does! Irvine can also use shooter 5*, which grants a solid two hits of 3.7x water damage in the back row with a ranged weapon. Or 3.3x with no ranged weapon. He's still squishy and not a good combatant, but I have his pentabreak and I can use him everywhere now.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sprite141 posted:

You will learn to love having it on both of them. Pentabreak for cid missions is nothing to sneer at. Also you might want to bring support on someone else, and cid can do mechanist bullshit for statuses. And eventually damage once that lightning skill gets released. How is that non-elemental 5* mechanist skill that we just got?

Remember Irvine's very first relic SB? Fast Ammo?

It's basically that but not tied to a SB gauge or a long cast time. Ten random 0.35x hits, so you'll maybe do like 500-900 per hit.

It's not bad but it's not gonna wow anyone any time soon. Anything less than 2000 damage a hit and you'd be better off using Full Charge, really - I don't think any Machinist 5 doesn't also have Combat 5.

EDIT: I was wrong there! Looks like your MCH5 options without Combat 5 are Setzer, Sazh (probably both on Support 5 duty anyway), Cid VII (has Dragoon abilities), Reno, Desch (both have BLK 5), Rikku (Thief's Revenge), Mustadio and Laguna.

Of those, only Mustadio and Laguna don't have much better to do with their turns.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 22, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Fast ammo was the OG max overstrike with vit0 bug

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I dunno, full charge has nutty charge time on characters without celerity 5*. I'd rather save full charge for people woth 5* combat and 5* celerity. I'd stick with omega drove or the new mechanist ability on those dudes if only to keep building sb guage instead of waiting on full charge to finish.

It is only 3.5 damage though, which isn't too far off of thief's revenge. But it's a far cry from full charge, and from the next mechanist ability as well. I might leave it be.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Sprite141 posted:

It does! Irvine can also use shooter 5*, which grants a solid two hits of 3.7x water damage in the back row with a ranged weapon. Or 3.3x with no ranged weapon. He's still squishy and not a good combatant, but I have his pentabreak and I can use him everywhere now.

:same: Basically, he's a pseudo-glass cannon. Or glass pseudo-cannon. Still, nullifying practically half a boss's defense/resistance is pretty good.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Anything less than 2000 damage a hit and you'd be better off using Full Charge, really

Eh, no. Full Charge has twice the cast time for ~33% more damage, and is penalized for attacking from the back row. It's actually a DPS downgrade assuming you're hasted. Rapid Fire also benefits from +school damage (nobody has +combat damage until Legend Dives, while quite a few Machinists have +Machinist damage in their RDs, plus there's a +40% Machinist damage RM where you'd be stuck with Weapon Damage RMs for Full Charge); it's essentially uncappable so +crit, +crit damage, and other similar effects are more beneficial in the long run; it's inherently ranged so even if you don't have a gun for a realm you can still stick the character in the back row; and it's a much more restrictive skill so you can leave your Full Charge on the characters who don't have viable DPS skills.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
anyone know how omega drive scales with ATK? enlir's doesn't have a whole lot of info aside from the base multiplier

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

If I'm a guy whose main focus in this game is completing Cid Missions, does it make sense to go all in on Northern Cross? I can probably get a copy close to R3. I feel like this would vastly improve the celerity class all around, as opposed to Snowspell which would only help a tiny number really. Are there any other big drawbacks to this besides not having Snowspell?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

anyone know how omega drive scales with ATK? enlir's doesn't have a whole lot of info aside from the base multiplier

From Enlir's sheet:

quote:

The multiplier per hit for this attack is given by the following formula:

(1+min((1/(1+exp(-ATK/1000*4.2))*2-1)*4;3.87))*0.27

It has a minimum of 0.27x and caps at 1.31x at around 977 ATK

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

So when's the next FF XIV event, 'cause Aerial Blast was key to killing Valigarmanda and Asylum was key to killing Omega Weapon and I want them both native now :(

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Faris bracers on a dollar pull. The good luck keeps rollin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

UHD posted:

So when's the next FF XIV event, 'cause Aerial Blast was key to killing Valigarmanda and Asylum was key to killing Omega Weapon and I want them both native now :(

Aerial Blast doesn't return in the next FF14 event. On the other hand, it'll almost certainly be on the anniversary banners in a month.

• Locked thread