Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, hey, check it, the new Kimaris Vidar.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wow, so uh.. it has bigass power drills in the kneecaps huh? That is not going to end well for anyone he fights :suspense:.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, so uh.. it has bigass power drills in the kneecaps huh? That is not going to end well for anyone he fights :suspense:.

That lance looks like a drill, too, and it also has back-mounted sub-arms like the Graze Ein that carry free-moving shields like the ones on the Grimgerde that mount both GE-style piledrivers and machineguns like the Reginlaze Julia. Also, it has a katana like the Barbatos.

Gaelio basically looked at the fighting styles of every great warrior he knows and went 'I want some of that'.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dulkor posted:

I have a feeling that was the original plan before the Hashmal arc led to Gaelio tipping his hand and Mika giving him confirmation of his ideals while fighting Hashmal.

Yep.

Looks like finding out that Rustal had all his dirty laundry and could set the pace scrapped his old plans. Meanwhile, Mika just went out and provided an advertisement for his whole "Just smash poo poo with overwhelming force and people will fall in line" suspicions.

McGillis has never been twelve steps ahead. One or two at most, based on the lay of the land. And when he misreads people, well, Orga punches him in the loving face.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, so uh.. it has bigass power drills in the kneecaps huh?

Darth Walrus posted:

That lance looks like a drill

For piercing the heavens!! :kamina:

I love it, even if I'm worried about how much non-sticker color separation it will have. Will miss the disposable rapiers though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

For piercing the heavens!! :kamina:

I love it, even if I'm worried about how much non-sticker color separation it will have. Will miss the disposable rapiers though.

That's what the 1/100 is for.

There damned well better be a 1/100 of this thing.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Darth Walrus posted:

That lance looks like a drill, too, and it also has back-mounted sub-arms like the Graze Ein that carry free-moving shields like the ones on the Grimgerde that mount both GE-style piledrivers and machineguns like the Reginlaze Julia. Also, it has a katana like the Barbatos.

Pretty sure the feet are behemoth grips/clamps/crusher jaws, also.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

taichara posted:

Pretty sure the feet are behemoth grips/clamps/crusher jaws, also.

Inspired by the Barbatos's wrench mace, presumably.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have a feeling that Shino is going to be on the receiving end of that thing first.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I have a feeling that Shino is going to be on the receiving end of that thing first.

I can only hope.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

I can only hope.

WTF? Shino can't die until Yamagi gets to kiss him.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

WTF? Shino can't die until Yamagi gets to kiss him.

Careful with that monkey paw there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I can't help but think we're gonna need a diagram with pictures of all the Tekkadan members to start crossing off deaths with for the next few episodes.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Stay safe out there space Guts.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can't help but think we're gonna need a diagram with pictures of all the Tekkadan members to start crossing off deaths with for the next few episodes.

Lets do a bingo!

Look at all these dead people... Oh look I just need Orga for a cover all!

Who's the free space?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ethiser posted:

Stay safe out there space Guts.

He lives to suffer. I imagine there ain't anyone who's going to be able to rip and tear space Guts.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fat and Useless posted:

Who's the free space?

Atra. Or Gaelio.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

He lives to suffer. I imagine there ain't anyone who's going to be able to rip and tear space Guts.
All I ask is that, if Akihiro survives the climax, his final fate is not being stuck on a boat trip for nearly ten years.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

All I ask is that, if Akihiro survives the climax, his final fate is not being stuck on a boat trip for nearly ten years.

Akihiro? Why are we talking about Akihiro when space Guts is right over there?

He's even met his Griffith.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lestaki posted:

Did you see his face when the Seven Stars declared their neutrality? He was genuinely surprised and irritated by their reply, and then tells Orga he didn't expect them not to cooperate. With McGillis, it's always hard to tell what's true and what's a lie, but I think he was genuinely confused at the equivocal third option they found when faced with the choice of being with him or against him.

McGillis always knew he'd have to fight Rustal, unlike the idiot patsy acting as the point man for his 'revolution'. When he explains the situation to Orga near the end of the episode, he's explicit about what he did and didn't anticipate. He was ready to fight Rustal, but he thought he'd command the forces of the non-Arianrhod members of the Seven Stars in the process. Unfortunately, he miscalculated, and Bael alone isn't sufficient to compel their complete obedience.

I'd argue that McGillis never needed to launch a violent coup d'etat to begin with. He was already the main voice on the council in a power struggle with Rustal, but he'd fought off Rustal's efforts to undermine him and Iok's idiocy gave him a point of weakness in Rustal's position to attack. He also knew Gaelio was still alive and would have to be dealt with. With time and patience, he could have consolidated his position in a conventional manner and become accepted as the first among equals before claiming Bael and asserting his hegemony.

Gaelio being alive probably contributed to his plan to go "gently caress it, go time" as much as his boner for Murder Mika. If Iok being a moron and deploying illegal superweapons to shoot pirates was a weak point in Rustal's political powerbase, Gaelio Bauduin of the Seven Stars showing up from beyond the grave and dropping accusations that McGillis tried to personally murder him and directly manipulated Carta into her own death is an even bigger weakness, especially since McGillis's powerbase isn't nearly as solid as Rustal's. In Gaelio, Rustal effectively had an ultimate kill switch for McGillis's plans; even if McGillis continued maneuvering peacefully, if he ever got too successful, Gaelio could unmask himself and derail everything.

Basically McGillis hosed up incredibly, unbelievably hard by trying to be all elegant about stabbing Gaelio in the cockpit instead of smashing everything to paste before fleeing the scene.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Kanos posted:

Basically McGillis hosed up incredibly, unbelievably hard by trying to be all elegant about stabbing Gaelio in the cockpit instead of smashing everything to paste before fleeing the scene.

He didn't even need to reveal himself in that situation, the only benefit was to taunt Gaelio

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I wonder what's going on with attaching whatever that is under it's left shield to the mega drill.

edit: Actually it looks like there's one under the other shield as well.

Is that thing also some kind of Dainsleif?

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 21, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Booourns posted:

He didn't even need to reveal himself in that situation, the only benefit was to taunt Gaelio

Retroactively it makes sense. Even his stupid YGO mask makes sense because McGillis is a goddamn manchild who is totally into playing into symbolism and narratives.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

I wonder what's going on with attaching whatever that is under it's left shield to the mega drill.

edit: Actually it looks like there's one under the other shield as well.

Is that thing also some kind of Dainsleif?

It appears to have Graze Ein-style piledrivers under the shields on its subarms, which can also be plugged into the lance to help brace it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Going into possibly the final battle and still using giant gently caress-off lances and drills.

love it

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Everyone has learned from Mika that the best weapons to use are the least subtle ones. Of course he has surpassed them all with his mace.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Everyone has learned from Mika that the best weapons to use are the least subtle ones. Of course he has surpassed them all with his mace.

I dunno, that is one giant fuckoff drill-lance.

Makes McGillis's two little swords all the more striking.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Somehow, I only just made the Vidar/Vitharr vs. Lupus/Fenrir connection. :doh:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Somehow, I only just made the Vidar/Vitharr vs. Lupus/Fenrir connection. :doh:

Remember, too, that Vidar was one of the only gods to make it out alive from Ragnarok. Possibly an indication of Gaelio working with Kudelia to rebuild the solar system in the epilogue?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember, too, that Vidar was one of the only gods to make it out alive from Ragnarok. Possibly an indication of Gaelio working with Kudelia to rebuild the solar system in the epilogue?

More likely he's going to get the Big Mace through the chest.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I don't care who gets killed off so long as Iok is one of them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

More likely he's going to get the Big Mace through the chest.

It's really hard to imagine Galieo getting killed by Mika. They've kind of gotten over their heat and Gaelio has too much plot in other realms. If he goes out it's probably taking out or crippling McGillis or just straight-up getting overwhelmed by multiple foes or something.

That said for good or ill we're sort of... lacking in meaningful 'antagonists' for the McGillis/Tekkadan side. They've got Julia and Gaelio and that is about it, while their side is going to be fielding 4 top-of-the-line A-V piloted Gundams in addition to their array of fairly high end regular suits. Short of Tekkadan getting utterly buzzsawed by Gaelio they feel like they're pretty much ahead and above in the ace race. Sheer numbers could overcome them but yeah.

paragon1 posted:

I don't care who gets killed off so long as Iok is one of them

I actually am genuinely wondering if Iok is going to survive. The show keeps pushing that he's a *fuckup* but not a malicious monster and that his men trust and respect him. Iok learning not to be a fuckup and having to live with his mistakes and consequences would probably be more interesting, if not less viscerally satisfying, than him getting a healthy dose of Vitamin Mika.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I actually am genuinely wondering if Iok is going to survive. The show keeps pushing that he's a *fuckup* but not a malicious monster and that his men trust and respect him. Iok learning not to be a fuckup and having to live with his mistakes and consequences would probably be more interesting, if not less viscerally satisfying, than him getting a healthy dose of Vitamin Mika.

No he's not just a fuckup, he's a guy who actively killed fleeing civilians using illegal weapons, along with murdering a guy who was surrendering.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

No he's not just a fuckup, he's a guy who actively killed fleeing civilians using illegal weapons, along with murdering a guy who was surrendering.

Yes, and the terrifying thing is that he wasn't doing that because he's a cackling monster like the rear end in a top hat in Teiwaz. Iok is scary because he genuinely thinks he is acting in the best interests of his goals and jobs. He is the iconic image of someone who is terrifying not because they are a bastard but terrifying because they are earnest and forthright while being absurdly wrong.

Him making a huge mistake and getting killed is extremely likely, mind you, but I can't help but wonder.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Iok represents almost everything that is wrong with Gjallahorn. He is respected just because his father was a good man and has caused countless casualties to his own side out of bravado and spite. There is little that can actually redeem him anymore.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

It's really hard to imagine Galieo getting killed by Mika. They've kind of gotten over their heat and Gaelio has too much plot in other realms. If he goes out it's probably taking out or crippling McGillis or just straight-up getting overwhelmed by multiple foes or something.

That said for good or ill we're sort of... lacking in meaningful 'antagonists' for the McGillis/Tekkadan side. They've got Julia and Gaelio and that is about it, while their side is going to be fielding 4 top-of-the-line A-V piloted Gundams in addition to their array of fairly high end regular suits. Short of Tekkadan getting utterly buzzsawed by Gaelio they feel like they're pretty much ahead and above in the ace race. Sheer numbers could overcome them but yeah.

Airinhod is the most experienced of the Gjallerhorn fleets. It's Regulars are probably going to be tougher then the mercenaries and pirates in crap suits they have mainly been fighting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Airinhod is the most experienced of the Gjallerhorn fleets. It's Regulars are probably going to be tougher then the mercenaries and pirates in crap suits they have mainly been fighting.

They're also the single biggest fleet in the solar system, and if you look carefully at their action scenes, you can see them slowly phasing out their Grazes for Reginlazes (which are at least a match for any single-reactor suit Tekkadan and the OERJF can field). McGillis is going in at a considerable disadvantage, even with four Gundams.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's also important to remember that every Seven Stars family has a Gundam, even if we haven't seen them ready for combat. I don't doubt Rustal will bring forth the Elion and Kujan family Gundams if neccesary, to tip the scales to some extent. I doubt the Kimaris Vidar is his trump card here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, even if Iok's still in his custom Reginlaze, he seems to have some sort of reality-warping field that spells disaster for anyone he's up against, so that's three major threats on the Arianrhod side. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honestly Iok losing most of his house and his status in GH would be harder on him than just death. Given okadas use of unconventional character allusions it would be funny if he ended up becoming the series Katjeena in that regard

• Locked thread