Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

It's fun to stay in touch with old workmates and find out what's pissing them off.

Last workplace: my replacement pisses whole team off.
He's lazy and incompetent and rude to everyone but jumps on the easy tickets so his metrics look OK.
He has bicycle handlebars and leather straps delivered to his desk because he makes sex toys with them and wants everyone to know.
He horks down his lunch and then pukes up in the toilet beside the main office.
They hired him accidentally because he has the same first name as the guy they'd meant to invite back for the second interview.

Two workplaces ago: mail migration pissing whole company off.
They had on prem exchange and are moving to 365.
Person who told me isn't technical, but it seems they're doing the whole thing manually with .pst uploads. :psyduck:
IT team of 4, userbase of ~2k (of which 400 or so are daily users) They've been at it for weeks.
I thought my company was the only one incompetent enough to offer a job to Joe Bloggs, when they wanted to employ John Bloggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

angry armadillo posted:

I thought my company was the only one incompetent enough to offer a job to Joe Bloggs, when they wanted to employ John Bloggs.

Do they not know you can just retract an offer until the papers are signed?! :psyduck:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

dogstile posted:

Yeah, I've resigned myself to "well it's time to leave" and im going to put in a complaint about her while I get ready to go. Mainly to gently caress with her, doubt anything will get done.

She's never liked me, so this was probably a long time coming.

Already on it. She tried pulling the amateur doctor thing already, so I'm going to twist away at it. Last time this happened I was young and too worried about everything to even attempt it. This time I don't give a poo poo, I know I can get a job fairly quickly so ehhhhh loving :p

I don't know what it's like the in UK, but here in the US, if I wanted to make a complaint about this, I'd be doing it to a lawyer, not to HR.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

guppy posted:

I don't know what it's like the in UK, but here in the US, if I wanted to make a complaint about this, I'd be doing it to a lawyer, not to HR.

Militant as I am, realistically you aren't going to get anywhere useful if you go the legal route in the UK: perhaps after a couple of years fighting, you might get back some lost salary.

It makes much more sense from a sanity viewpoint to find a new job and move on, after making GBS threads in her desk drawer.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

angry armadillo posted:

That accidental hire is living an entire sitcom life that we are just extras in.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Here's a question.

So at my job (which I'm 100% happy with) a couple guys quit. They interviewed for months, and took way over their vacation time. We receive your years' work of days on the day you started and they refreshed on your anniversary. For these guys, though, they took their entire year and then started dipping in to the next year. They each took more than a couple extra weeks.

Eventually they quit, and then they asked to have their remaining days paid out, but the office manager showed them (rightly so) that they were negative two weeks. She said that they'll likely dock their final paycheck the two weeks. They flipped out and threw a huge fit. In the end, that didn't happen, I think the office manager was just talking above her pay grade (which she is sort of known to do) and then when the payroll/finance guys got to it they just ignored her.

That raises a question, is that situation legal to do and is it common?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Here's a question.

So at my job (which I'm 100% happy with) a couple guys quit. They interviewed for months, and took way over their vacation time. We receive your years' work of days on the day you started and they refreshed on your anniversary. For these guys, though, they took their entire year and then started dipping in to the next year. They each took more than a couple extra weeks.

Eventually they quit, and then they asked to have their remaining days paid out, but the office manager showed them (rightly so) that they were negative two weeks. She said that they'll likely dock their final paycheck the two weeks. They flipped out and threw a huge fit. In the end, that didn't happen, I think the office manager was just talking above her pay grade (which she is sort of known to do) and then when the payroll/finance guys got to it they just ignored her.

Yep. The company gave them that time on "credit" as they hadn't earned it. They leave before they accrue it, they owe that amount back.

I was in that situation once by not paying attention to my PTO balance and ended up getting docked 2 days on my year-end paycheck, since that company wouldn't extend "credit" for vacation days from a future fiscal year. I've also worked (and currently work) at companies that straight up don't give a poo poo as long as you meet your responsibilities.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The places I've worked, they don't let you take an advance on your vacation. Your balance hits zero, your rear end is in the office every single day. Or it's time off without pay.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Here's a question.

When I was salary and took 2 weeks off work but only had like 1 1/2 weeks of PDO, my next paycheck was short the remaining hours.

I'm hourly now and I imagine if I took 2 weeks off but only had 1 1/2 weeks of PDO, I just wouldn't get paid for those missing hours nor would they deduct any extra.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

flosofl posted:

Yep. The company gave them that time on "credit" as they hadn't earned it. They leave before they accrue it, they owe that amount back.

I was in that situation once by not paying attention to my PTO balance and ended up getting docked 2 days on my year-end paycheck, since that company wouldn't extend "credit" for vacation days from a future fiscal year. I've also worked (and currently work) at companies that straight up don't give a poo poo as long as you meet your responsibilities.

One of the guys was chill about it, the other dude got into a straight up screaming match with the office manager. The biggest problem was that guy was interviewing for months, and was barely doing his job. We were pretty close friends, and I was a much senior guy, so his manager asked me a few times if everything was alright with him, and if I could talk to him. He was just coming in, sitting at his desk and playing Heartstone for weeks, and did almost zero work. He'd come in at 10:30, leave at 11:30 and say he was sick and go on a job interview. He'd also wear garbage clothes most days and then when he was "sick" he'd dress really well. It was really obvious he had one foot out the door, and he did no favors.

I'm surpised they didn't can him immediately when he gave notice. Them taking two weeks of pay was a generous compromise for how crappy he was. In the end they didn't take it, probably not worth the couple grand to deal with him suing or something.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SEKCobra posted:

Do they not know you can just retract an offer until the papers are signed?! :psyduck:
I'm wondering how he got through the second interview to get an offer, given that they didn't want to invite him back after his first (or else he wouldn't have accidentally been reinvited!)

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

One of the guys was chill about it, the other dude got into a straight up screaming match with the office manager. The biggest problem was that guy was interviewing for months, and was barely doing his job. We were pretty close friends, and I was a much senior guy, so his manager asked me a few times if everything was alright with him, and if I could talk to him. He was just coming in, sitting at his desk and playing Heartstone for weeks, and did almost zero work. He'd come in at 10:30, leave at 11:30 and say he was sick and go on a job interview. He'd also wear garbage clothes most days and then when he was "sick" he'd dress really well. It was really obvious he had one foot out the door, and he did no favors.

I'm surpised they didn't can him immediately when he gave notice. Them taking two weeks of pay was a generous compromise for how crappy he was. In the end they didn't take it, probably not worth the couple grand to deal with him suing or something.

That dude was delusional if he thinks the company owed him poo poo in that situation.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

tactlessbastard posted:

That dude was delusional if he thinks the company owed him poo poo in that situation.

One day he came in wearing sneakers (he bikes to work) and left at 12 saying he was sick and needed to go home (job interview) but he left his dress shoes by accident and came back like five minutes later and said he forgot something and tried to casual change his shoes at his desk with out the PM who sat next to him noticing. It was madness.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
get that guy and the other guy in a sitcom as roommates.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I loving hate people.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Well as a follow up to my previous post: I no longer have my poo poo contract job. I spoke to my co-worker yesterday before things get busy. Usually it was four of us discussing job opportunities and what we had on the horizon. Now that two quit it was just the two contract guys left. I told him I had an interview today. Apparently my body supervisor overheard it.

Woke up today to a text from my contract company rep saying to call him when I get up.

I have had a few jobs and this is the first time being fired. All I did was laugh when he told me. I have 4 places lined up to interview for and even if those don't pan out immediately I still have enough saved to live on for a while. Also I get to hear their side of the story when I go pick my stuff up from my co-worker tomorrow.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
A user just complained that her computer is going slow after we changed her folders to another server

Go and check

She has Photoshop open, Chrome open with 7 tabs and 1 being a social aggregate website, Outlook open and huge excel sheets open.

Says it worked fine up until the change.

Checked her PC stats, 8GB of ram is at full use, CPU is ok

System Up Time 41 loving days

AGHHHH

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
HR lady who shouted at me for not following my priority list is now angry at me because she's not at the top of my new priority list and I won't budge on it until she gives me a date the work needs completion on (she initially didn't).

It's a simple five minute job but as i've previously been told I shouldn't do quick "five minute jobs" because they aren't on my list, i'm sitting here and waiting for her to roll back on what she said on monday.

The angrier she gets the happier I am. Get hosed, I owe you poo poo all. You want me to follow the words to the letter I will, no matter how much you regret it :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Axiom of the day: If you ask a user to follow up with you and let you that something worked, they won't. But if you don't ask them to, they will!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bob Morales posted:

Axiom of the day: If you ask a user to follow up with you and let you that something worked, they won't. But if you don't ask them to, they will!

Thank god we can close tickets without positive confirmation. "If I don't hear from you by Friday I'll assume we really fixed your poo poo, have a great weekend."

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not pissing me off anymore: A job offer got pulled at the last second, after it had been negotiated and signed, but thankfully before I got my notice. Whee~ for still having a job and dodging an apparent bullet of a lovely place.

Pissing me off: Our company no longer books people tickets for work travel at all whatsoever. Haha you dumb motherfuckers, you don't pay me enough to be able to give you interest-free thousand dollar loans, jfc.

Not pissing me off: "Hey Boss, sorry I can't make it over to HQ because you guys are scrooges/and also don't pay me enough".

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

OWLS! posted:

Not pissing me off anymore: A job offer got pulled at the last second, after it had been negotiated and signed, but thankfully before I got my notice. Whee~ for still having a job and dodging an apparent bullet of a lovely place.

Pissing me off: Our company no longer books people tickets for work travel at all whatsoever. Haha you dumb motherfuckers, you don't pay me enough to be able to give you interest-free thousand dollar loans, jfc.

Not pissing me off: "Hey Boss, sorry I can't make it over to HQ because you guys are scrooges/and also don't pay me enough".

my old $AWFUL_JOB did this. We'd travel all the time and rack up thousands in travel bills, and they'd pay us months late. When I quit they owed me about $2,000 in months old expenses, so I told them I was taking home some laptops until they paid me, and they got really angry.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Don't they have a credit card for you to use?

My old boss bought all the IT purchases on his personal credit card and racked up so many loving Sony points. He redeemed them for TV's and stereos over the years.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bob Morales posted:

My old boss bought all the IT purchases on his personal credit card and racked up so many loving Sony points. He redeemed them for TV's and stereos over the years.

Don't corporate credit cards hold the cardholder personally liable for the balance?

So, the only difference between using one of those and using your own card is that you don't get to take advantage of the reward points schemes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

We had a corporate card, but there was some sort of financial problem that caused them reduce the credit limit to something uselessly small so it never worked when I needed it.

spog posted:

Don't corporate credit cards hold the cardholder personally liable for the balance?

So, the only difference between using one of those and using your own card is that you don't get to take advantage of the reward points schemes.

It's sort of a nice bonus to get the points on $20,000 worth of travel a year, but man, floating that money is tough. A few times I expensed the interest on the card because I wasn't able to pay the entire balance, and they weren't happy about that. They tried to take my credit card statement and break out the percentage of the interest that was on my personal items and not pay that, but joke was on them I used a credit card specifically for company purchases because I knew they'd try to rip me off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

We had a corporate card, but there was some sort of financial problem that caused them reduce the credit limit to something uselessly small so it never worked when I needed it.
We had P-cards that were useless, we had to tell vendors to hit the card multiple times because you could only charge $250 at a time

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah that's always annoyed me. I got handed a card with a £1500 limit to renew our SSL licences when a shitload were expiring at the same time, then I had a meeting to explain why i'd maxed out the card.

You dumb fucks, you do this every couple of years. How have you not learned?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

^ Get a corporate account with a provider that gives you a line of credit if you're doing that many SSL purchases.

It always amazes me that companies are happy to place no trust at all in their staff and then act surprised when people don't show much in the way of initiative.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Holy gently caress people, if you are going to gossip or plan to steal from your company, do not talk about it on skype if you have histories enabled on your work computer.

Got pulled to the side today because I was asked to investigate some employee's skype logs. I pull the logs up and export them so they are easy to read and send it to the leadership that asked for it. Turns out, this employee is a family member of the CEO and has been spending upwards of 4k on her next baby on the companies dime. She appears to be so brazen that she even went on this spending spree with a coworker during both the morning and afternoon and talked about it in detail on skype. Here is to hoping they are both simply fired and not prosecuted. It gets extra complicated because her husband is a vp in another department.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Holy gently caress people, if you are going to gossip or plan to steal from your company, do not talk about it on skype if you have histories enabled on your work computer.

Got pulled to the side today because I was asked to investigate some employee's skype logs. I pull the logs up and export them so they are easy to read and send it to the leadership that asked for it. Turns out, this employee is a family member of the CEO and has been spending upwards of 4k on her next baby on the companies dime. She appears to be so brazen that she even went on this spending spree with a coworker during both the morning and afternoon and talked about it in detail on skype. Here is to hoping they are both simply fired and not prosecuted. It gets extra complicated because her husband is a vp in another department.

I did a on-prem exchange migration and phone system cut over for a client of about 200 people, their IT guy was the only one on their team with any knowledge of the project. He was sort of the IT director, he started there when they were smaller, and as the company grew he just hired us for help with tasks, and no one else at the company really knew anything about his dealings. So we do a large migration over the weekend, finish up Sunday night, say "hey Ed, see you monday at 9:30". We arrive Monday, and find an office full of confused people. No one knows how anything works or why they are on Outlook no instead of their old web email, how their phones work, it's just pandemonium. Some boss sees me and my associate walk in, and he's like "can I help you?" We explain to him why we are here and ask for Ed, and he says "Oh, I just fired him. Did he hire you to change our network?" Turns out he was spending a fortune on the company credit card for personal electronics and stuff, and it caught up with him.

The company had no idea what was going on, we had already been paid for most of the job, so we didn't care, but they had absolutely no clue who we were or anything. Weirdly they didn't really call us back after the first couple days. Infact, we had installed several servers to be configured later as an exchange cluster, and we never set it up, so there's just a rack full of servers doing nothing.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I remember having a temp gig at a jewelers doing 3D rendering work to load onto their website, they had a diddy little render farm which was neat but I eventually use a cloud render service which could spit out a hundred off images in mere minutes. Whenever the credit needed topping up my boss just tossed me his Visa black card and say have at it, this was the kinda place where his brother cracked open a safe and placed a bag of platinum nuggets into my palm and asked how much is it worth... worth enough for me to consider jumping out the second story window with it that's for sure.

Now here everything gets queried and depends on the finance managers mood, regardless of criticality.
- Desk power pods? Why would we need those just buy a power adapter someone can break or lose again
- Software? haha no
- Licensing? Just remove people from using them, what do you mean you've already done that?
- Workstations? Just dig something out of storage, what do you mean we don't have any?

The current CRM project which has loads of missing core features missing, and important one being VOIP integration and call storage. As a bandaid to avoid a shitstorm to stood up a temporary storage VM specifically for this, it's now running out and with no developer solution on the horizon I quoted up a NAS with plenty of storage. "But whyyyyyyyyy do we need this" I explained and given an ultimatum of a couple months before no more storage (pretty loving important for a legal firm), I made this at xmas with a host that only had 300gb to spare... it's 61% full.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We only have 5 licenses for this database reporting tool. It's like $1500/year for another 5 licenses.

Now that we have umpteen interns we hit the user license limit all the time, so when other people need to use it they can't, and they have to call around and see who has it open but isn't using it so they can free up a slot.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

my old $AWFUL_JOB did this. We'd travel all the time and rack up thousands in travel bills, and they'd pay us months late. When I quit they owed me about $2,000 in months old expenses, so I told them I was taking home some laptops until they paid me, and they got really angry.

They make the secretaries buy pretty lavish lunches out of pocket and maybe pay them back later here. It's disgusting and should be illegal. You people have a loving hedge fund behind you and you can't get a corporate card?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dogstile posted:

HR lady who shouted at me for not following my priority list is now angry at me because she's not at the top of my new priority list and I won't budge on it until she gives me a date the work needs completion on (she initially didn't).

It's a simple five minute job but as i've previously been told I shouldn't do quick "five minute jobs" because they aren't on my list, i'm sitting here and waiting for her to roll back on what she said on monday.

The angrier she gets the happier I am. Get hosed, I owe you poo poo all. You want me to follow the words to the letter I will, no matter how much you regret it :v:

Still boggles me that an HR drone has any say in what IT's priorities are or how you apply them to your work day, holy gently caress :psyduck:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

skooma512 posted:

They make the secretaries buy pretty lavish lunches out of pocket and maybe pay them back later here. It's disgusting and should be illegal. You people have a loving hedge fund behind you and you can't get a corporate card?
Fairly certain that is illegal. I know that if my boss wanted me to buy something for work with my own money, I would laugh until he bought it with his.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

skooma512 posted:

Hey, they didn't get to be billionaires by NOT cheating people out of money.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"I need this thumb drive cleared off so I can put stuff on it for the auditors next week"

Can't you just...delete the files?

There were like 20 files on it. Shift-Delete. Hand drive back. Enjoy.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I'll spare you the hot details of the troubleshooting, but this is conversation that came up during the ticket with my co-worker.

SBoD: "The legal paper tray in my printer on my desk isn't working."
Co-Worker: "There is a printer 20 feet away with legal paper in it"
SBoD: "This is ridiculous." *hangs up phone*

*20 seconds go by - email ding!*

To: Slightpirate, Slightpirate's co-worker, director of IT, manager of the support desk, Director of infrastructure
subject: Printer on my desk
"I need a new printer immediately as mine is no longer functioning and I have MANY important things to print. I'm not walking down to the floor printers.
This needs completed immediately"

Sincerely,
A Sloppy Bag of Dicks."

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

OWLS! posted:

I love my free miles.

I book flights and hotels for anyone in my group who's traveling, I keep a card specifically for just that, but fortunately my company reimburses expenses within 5 business days, if they didn't, there's no loving way I'd do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

slightpirate posted:

I'll spare you the hot details of the troubleshooting, but this is conversation that came up during the ticket with my co-worker.

SBoD: "The legal paper tray in my printer on my desk isn't working."
Co-Worker: "There is a printer 20 feet away with legal paper in it"
SBoD: "This is ridiculous." *hangs up phone*

*20 seconds go by - email ding!*

To: Slightpirate, Slightpirate's co-worker, director of IT, manager of the support desk, Director of infrastructure
subject: Printer on my desk
"I need a new printer immediately as mine is no longer functioning and I have MANY important things to print. I'm not walking down to the floor printers.
This needs completed immediately"

Sincerely,
A Sloppy Bag of Dicks."

One of the absolute best things that came out of our new IT director 18 months ago was the abolishment of ALL non-standard printers. He even took the CEO's printer in a minor pissing match, but stood his ground. We still have a stack of ~20 odd laserjets and other printers sitting waiting for electronics dumping.

Helpdesk was so happy.