Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We're gonna have to stop misspelling Yosuke's name once P5 rolls around or this is gonna get real confusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Actually, ignore this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That could be the minorest spoiler in the world and I still wouldn't mouse over it

I'm a huge baby

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

That could be the minorest spoiler in the world and I still wouldn't mouse over it

I'm a huge baby

Yeah, that is why I removed it, there's no point in having it there

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
haha, I just realized they're maintaining their tradition of having Yu- character names.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Makoto is actually Nanako incognito with fighting techniques learned from Yu and Kanji

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bogart posted:

His name is Charlie Tunoku, are you guys okay?

I never finished the Endurance Run the first time I tried to watch it. I think I got up to around when Nanako got kidnapped before I got distracted by other stuff.

So I recently decided to rewatch the whole thing from the beginning. Currently up to part 10.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arist posted:

I'm a huge baby

The game's best antagonist is the first target

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Baal posted:

The game's best antagonist is the first target

I already knew that, and I already know who he is

Mostly through you

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well I'm here to tell you something else

he's voiced by dc douglas

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I heard that and forgot it, so now I get to be excited about that again.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

Well I'm here to tell you something else

he's voiced by dc douglas

Well he was great as Voyager in Xenosaga III but that was ten years ago. It be nice to hear him again.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
A quick question about ailments in SMT4:Apocalypse: do they work like in Nocturne where they're divided into groups that you can be weak to (ie nerve/mind/curse) or is it like Strange Journey where each demon has different levels of weakness to each ailment? Because I can swear I got a smirk off inflicting bind on an Oni.

e: balls, I liked the Nocturne method.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 22, 2017

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

ManlyGrunting posted:

A quick question about ailments in SMT4:Apocalypse: do they work like in Nocturne where they're divided into groups that you can be weak to (ie nerve/mind/curse) or is it like Strange Journey where each demon has different levels of weakness to each ailment? Because I can swear I got a smirk off inflicting bind on an Oni.

Demons have individual resists and weaknesses; for example, the Oni in your example is weak against Panic, Sleep, and Bind, while Yomotsu-Ikusa are only weak against Panic.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They gave Igor a voice filter for some reason and it sounds bad, why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb2Kackz1H8

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
He sounds pretty cool.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I'm gonna hope the filter is either just for the trailer to make him sound 'cooler' or only when he's talking to you via telepathy or something, and that it's normal when you're just conversing in the room itself.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

He's talking to you via the microphone

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
He sounds fine to me, although I do kind of miss Dan Woren's take on the character.

I didn't expect the Velvet Room mechanics to use such... vivid portrayals of executions, wow.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I finished the plot of P4D and everything in free mode. I still enjoy the game, but I think the soundtrack is weak. There's a good amount of slow songs which don't feel like they fit. The item which makes notes go faster is appreciated when playing those but I'd rather just go back to the same 2 or 3 tracks.

Basically "Time to Make History" "Pursuing My True Self", and "Reach Out to The Truth" are the highlights.

The one remix of Shadow World is horrible.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Finally, the man in the Velvet Room has a velvet voice.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Captain Baal posted:

you know why, don't pretend otherwise

also i don't really know the rules on promoting SA-mart stuff but i'm selling my JP bundle of p5 if you are interested. comes with artbook, CDs, DLC letter, cool box and that amiami carrying case. just post in that thread about it if you have questions.

if this breaks a rule or w/e i'll edit it out

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 23, 2017

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Odd that they're not getting Igor's old VA back. I know they recast for the Japanese version since his old VA died, but I'm curious why it was done here.

... I say as if I didn't spoil myself on the game after it was pushed back from Valentine's Day.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

GoneRampant posted:

Odd that they're not getting Igor's old VA back. I know they recast for the Japanese version since his old VA died, but I'm curious why it was done here.

... I say as if I didn't spoil myself on the game after it was pushed back from Valentine's Day.

It could just be a coincidence, they've recasted a bunch of Persona characters recently for a variety of reasons.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 24, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Grozz Nuy posted:

It could just be a coincidence, they've recasted a bunch of Persona characters recently for a variety of reasons.

...But I am also curious.

I mean, the new JP VA sounds way different from old Igor, and there's dual audio this time, so recasting Igor in English is only natural, if only to keep the character "feel" similar between both scripts.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so i never played P5 and haven't kept up with it at all but if y'all are trying to subtly say that igor in this game isn't the same as igor in the others without outright spoiling it you aren't succeeding at all

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

mandatory lesbian posted:

so i never played P5 and haven't kept up with it at all but if y'all are trying to subtly say that igor in this game isn't the same as igor in the others without outright spoiling it you aren't succeeding at all

No, that is genuinely what I've thought the whole time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

Man, Persona fusion seems a lot more brutal this time around. I was not expecting that we'd be executing our Persona, let alone in multiple different ways.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Man, Persona fusion seems a lot more brutal this time around. I was not expecting that we'd be executing our Persona, let alone in multiple different ways.

Im assuming it has to do with the theme of the story? Crime and punishment etc?

Honestly Ive done a real drat good job of ignoring anything P5 related so I might be completely off on this.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's just part of the game's more brutal aesthetic and playing to the game's themes, there's no real major significance behind it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It's cool and I dig it. Clearly they got inspired by the best demon fusionist, Victor Frankenstein.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Im assuming it has to do with the theme of the story? Crime and punishment etc?

Honestly Ive done a real drat good job of ignoring anything P5 related so I might be completely off on this.

It fits with the whole aesthetic of the Velvet Room as a prison, so it's definitely appropriate. It's just that I was only expecting the Velvet Prison to be a representation of the Phantom's story, I didn't think the Persona would be considered prisoners too. And then murdered for more power. I mean, the Velvet Room being a Limo or an Elevator were just metaphors. It didn't change how Igor went about his jobs. This is a lot more interesting. It certainly makes me think the Velvet Room and everyone involved are a lot cooler.

Persona 5 seems to have a lot of neat ideas with it's presentation to give everything just loads more character.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It fits with the whole aesthetic of the Velvet Room as a prison, so it's definitely appropriate. It's just that I was only expecting the Velvet Prison to be a representation of the Phantom's story, I didn't think the Persona would be considered prisoners too. And then murdered for more power. I mean, the Velvet Room being a Limo or an Elevator were just metaphors. It didn't change how Igor went about his jobs. This is a lot more interesting. It certainly makes me think the Velvet Room and everyone involved are a lot cooler.

Persona 5 seems to have a lot of neat ideas with it's presentation to give everything just loads more character.

I always feel stupid that even though I think Persona 3 has the coolest looking velvet room in the series, I never realized it was supposed to be an elevator until the very end of the game.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I've certainly never seen an elevator that looked like the Velvet Room

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just got to Nyx

...gently caress, this is going to be a long fight.

(Just been wiped because Nyx used Rebellion, then 2 Almighty Attacks. The 2nd landed a Crit on my MC, so Nyx used a 3rd Almighty attack using her extra turn.)

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

irlZaphod posted:

I just got to Nyx

...gently caress, this is going to be a long fight.

(Just been wiped because Nyx used Rebellion, then 2 Almighty Attacks. The 2nd landed a Crit on my MC, so Nyx used a 3rd Almighty attack using her extra turn.)

ahaha you don't know the half of it bud

i really hope you brought charm resist

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah someone mentioned it already, I have Odin with Null Charm. I think I'll have to get some accessories to null charm on other characters though.

I was very disappointed that Thunder Reign doesn't shock Nyx. :( Also I didn't bloody save after I beat Jin and Takaya. I was holding back a little bit against them because I didn't know you'd get a full party restore (and be able to re-pick your party) afterwards.

Also my MC is lv 73 or 74 I think, so I dunno if I need to gain a level or two at least. I'd prefer to not have to grind.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Nyx isn't super hard, per se: the difficulty is in the unfortunate charm procs rolling VERY POORLY against you.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I feel like I could easily run out of SP just because of the length of the fight. When I saw that TR didn't shock her I just started using physical attacks instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Nyx will always be the most satisfying JRPG boss victory to me because I got charmed and healed it back to full health after Night Gown, but once it wore off I healed up my group and still managed to win